HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Old
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
After Desharnais, let's nominate Gionta.

He has worked so hard to gain the respect of everyone in the league and captain the Legendary Montreal Canadiens.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
He should be. The masterton is not the "best player coming back from injury" award, its the award for the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. I agree Patches persevered through his injury but DD stuck with it through not being drafted to centering the Habs first line. Also, MaxPac has 2 suspensions does he not?
So MaxPac didn't show signs of perseverance?
DD is small, that's it. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Every shorty that made the NHL should be a candidate then? They have all went through doubters but at the end of the day, if they made to the NHL, it's because at least one team believed in them along their way.

Meanwhile, you have a guy that many believed went through a career ending injury, and even worse, almost got paralyzed. He comes back, leads the habs in both goals and points. Sorry, but in terms of perseverance, that beats the shorty.

Sportsmanship you can raise the issue because of the suspensions, but wasn't Tomas Plekanec suspended as well? I won't put any importance on that unless the guys are actually dirty players, which MAxPac isn't.

We also have to stop with the ''if we base ourselves on the true definition'' BS. This isn't a new trophy, we know who gets it. Same thing with the Norris, I mean Mike freaking Green was nominated for it. Likewise for the Selke, it's never given to a Moore type of player.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
onice

vCash: 50
When i first saw this thread, I had to laugh and think well that's Rejean and he represents a certain mentality in this province.

But then I thought about it and I have to admit he has a point. Not a strong enough one to change my mind but a point all the same.

Patches had a very serious accident. But his struggle was from last March to say dec of this year. True, he was almost paralyzed - damn was almost killed but his perseverance was for 8 months. It was intense, brutal and almost lethal.

On the other hand DD has had to struggle all his playing career and will continue to struggle. Damn he still has doubters with many Habs fans who are well known to fanatically overvalue their players.

Although my vote goes to Patches this year, I think some time in the future DD deserves the trophy.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:18 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
At first, I was shocked, but then I realized it's a French journalist backing the best French player on the team, so I'm not surprised.
i wouldn't put all the French journalist in with that loon

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm also curious why 60-70 point center Koivu and 60-70 point center Plekanec were not suitable to be dubbed number one centers, but 60-70 point center Desharnais is.
most of those posters fall in the "i really shouldn't be taking this guy too seriously" category so cheer up MM

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
You want to give Desharnais an award? Give him the Molson one we hand out every month and acknowledge his talent as the key contributor, not imply, regardless if intentional or otherwise, him being a shrimp is why he was worthy of a trophy. This article is yet another spin of Francophone bias and I firmly believe would never have even entered Rejean's mind had David's last name been Smith.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Habbadasher

Good for Mr. Tremblay for making us think about the issue in a different light, that is journalism at it's finest (no, I am not calling him a fine journalist).

Max came within one or two mm of dying, and because he was such a fit athlete made a miraculous recovery from a severe injury.

DD has had to struggle his whole life against the stereotypes, and showed the hockey world he is a fine player.

If it were just about any other year I would vote for DD for the Masterson, but not this year. Max's story is truly compelling.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
sigh, it's getting to the point that maybe I should become a Hawks fan, it's so ****ing tiring being a Habs fan sometimes
You don't HAVE to follow the media, you do realize?

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Good for Mr. Tremblay for making us think about the issue in a different light, that is journalism at it's finest (no, I am not calling him a fine journalist).

Max came within one or two mm of dying, and because he was such a fit athlete made a miraculous recovery from a severe injury.

DD has had to struggle his whole life against the stereotypes, and showed the hockey world he is a fine player.

If it were just about any other year I would vote for DD for the Masterson, but not this year. Max's story is truly compelling.
Well said.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
EmelinHipCheck

I take my stupid yaping comment back, he has a point.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
You want to give Desharnais an award? Give him the Molson one we hand out every month and acknowledge his talent as the key contributor, not imply, regardless if intentional or otherwise, him being a shrimp is why he was worthy of a trophy. This article is yet another spin of Francophone bias and I firmly believe would never have even entered Rejean's mind had David's last name been Smith.
You know it.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
MoonlightGraham

They both deserve it honestly. Max Pacioretty's story is more famous so I guess they thought that give him a better chance of winning. Desharnais' path to the NHL is very impressive and he deserves recognition. Desharnais can also be nominated next year when he will be even more established as a good NHL center.

We have two players who would deserve to be nominated for the Masterton trophy, most people would view that as a positive in an otherwise terrible season. Can't we just leave it at that? The posters who try to bring a language debate into this are just beyond help. I'm not a fan of Rιjean Tremblay at all, but you can't accuse him of bigotry any time he says something positive about a francophone player. People who think Desharnais should have been nominated over Pacioretty are entitled to their opinion. And lumping all French journalists with Tremblay is even worse. If you can't accept that the majority of Canadiens' fans and the majority of journalists covering them speak French, there are 29 other NHL teams you can cheer for. Please leave.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:08 PM
smon

Meh, media stirring up stories because the season is really not worth very much. Honestly, it does not make a huge difference. It will obviously be Pacioretty nominated but if it was surprisingly Desharnais, who cares?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
For an NHL player, being 5'6'' is kind of a handicap. How many players of that height were drafted in the last 10 years?
It doesn't matter if they were drafted or not. There are a bunch of undrafted regular-sized players in the NHL not just short players such as Diaz, Streit, Spacek... You gonna give them a Masterton?

There's not a ton of short players but there are a few including: Briere; St-Louis; Gerbe; Desharnais; Gionta; Cammalleri; Gallagher (in a few yrs), etc. Do they all deserve the Masterton too? They've all had to overcome some odds to play in the NHL but so has almost every other player. It takes a lot of hard work, dedication and perseverance for almost everyone to break into the league so that doesn't mean they should be rewarded with the Masterton.

I'm sure lot's of regular-sized players were told they'd never play in the NHL too. Look at Michael Ryder, he's a regular-sized player and he followed pretty much the same path as Desharnais. Should he be awarded the Masterton for his feats? All I'm saying is that there's nothing special about being a dimunitive player in the NHL. Everyone needs to overcome some obstacle at some point to make the NHL. However, overcoming a serious injury or some kind of sickness that puts your career and/or life in jeopardy is more worthy of the Masterton in my mind.

Last edited by The Gal Pals: 03-17-2012 at 04:10 PM.
The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Mathman and I agree... so we must be right.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Cyclones Rock

Tremblay certainly succeeded in getting his name and story out in any case.

A savvy journalist knows his audience and how to play his audience on a slow news day

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Past Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy winners:

(source: Wikipedia)

1967–68
Claude Provost
Montreal Canadiens
"Embodied the definition of perseverance and dedication to hockey" throughout his 15 year career.

1968–69
Ted Hampson
Oakland Seals
Had his best statistical year on a recent expansion team.

1969–70
Pit Martin
Chicago Black Hawks
After denouncing his team at the end of the 1968–69 NHL season, Martin and his team came back with a first place, and Martin had 30 goals and 33 assists for 63 points.

1970–71
Jean Ratelle
New York Rangers
A 20 year veteran, he won the trophy for a "lifelong dedication to strong, clean hockey".

1971–72
Bobby Clarke
Philadelphia Flyers
Overcame diabetes to play in the NHL.

1972–73
Lowell MacDonald
Pittsburgh Penguins
Overcame severe ligament and cartilage damage to his knee and scored 34 goals and 41 assists for 75 points during the 1972–73 NHL season

1973–74
Henri Richard
Montreal Canadiens
This honoured a career with 11 Stanley Cups.

1974–75
Don Luce
Buffalo Sabres
Awarded for perseverance and dedication, after a 38-point increase in scoring from the previous season.

1975–76
Rod Gilbert
New York Rangers
Overcame a serious back injury early during his career.

1976–77
Ed Westfall
New York Islanders
Awarded for being a good leader.

1977–78
Butch Goring
Los Angeles Kings
Made the NHL despite his small overall stature and weight, and had consistently good seasons.

1978–79
Serge Savard
Montreal Canadiens
Awarded for "dedication to hockey", after he won his eighth Stanley Cup in eleven seasons.

1979–80
Al MacAdam
Minnesota North Stars
Rewarded for his perseverance after scoring a career high 42 goals and 51 assists for 93 points.

1980–81
Blake Dunlop
St. Louis Blues
Although he was a star in junior hockey, he only broke out during the 1980–81 NHL season, after being drafted during the 1973–74 NHL season, by scoring 20 goals and 67 assists for 87 points. It was awarded for perseverance.

1981–82
Glenn Resch
Colorado Rockies
Awarded for perseverance, as he gave his young team more confidence while he served as goaltender.

1982–83
Lanny McDonald
Calgary Flames
Presented for his dedication; scored 66 goals and 32 assists for 98 points.

1983–84
Brad Park
Detroit Red Wings
Awarded for his dedication to hockey

1984–85
Anders Hedberg
New York Rangers
He was recognized for a dedicated career, and unlike many other winners, for an exceptional season as well

1985–86
Charlie Simmer
Boston Bruins
Overcame serious ligament damage to his knee to score 60 points.

1986–87
Doug Jarvis
Hartford Whalers
Awarded after he beat Garry Unger's record for consecutive games played, with 914 games.

1987–88
Bob Bourne
Los Angeles Kings
Awarded for exemplifying the qualities of dedication and perseverance.

1988–89
Tim Kerr
Philadelphia Flyers
He returned to score 48 goals and 40 assists for 88 points in 69 games after overcoming severe knee and shoulder injuries, as well as aseptic meningitis the season before.

1989–90
Gord Kluzak
Boston Bruins
Tried to overcome severe knee injuries, but after playing two games after his 10th knee operation, he retired.

1990–91
Dave Taylor
Los Angeles Kings
Played all his 17 seasons with the Kings, and was honored for his dedication.

1991–92
Mark Fitzpatrick
New York Islanders
Overcame eosinophilia myalgia syndrome, a potentially life-threatening disease, and returned to the NHL.

1992–93
Mario Lemieux
Pittsburgh Penguins
Scored 69 goals and 91 assists for 160 points, despite missing 24 games because of Hodgkin's lymphoma

1993–94
Cam Neely
Boston Bruins
Awarded "to recognize his valiant efforts to return to NHL action after suffering career-threatening injuries"; however he retired after 1995–96 NHL season because of those injuries.

1994–95
Pat LaFontaine
Buffalo Sabres
Overcame a series of serious head injuries.

1995–96
Gary Roberts
Calgary Flames
Successfully recovered from possibly career-ending surgery to correct bone spurs and nerve damage

1996–97
Tony Granato
San Jose Sharks
Overcame possibly career-ending brain injury sustained during 1995–96 NHL season to score 25 goals during the 1996–97 NHL season

1997–98
Jamie McLennan
St. Louis Blues
Overcame bacterial meningitis

1998–99
John Cullen
Tampa Bay Lightning
Overcame non-Hodgkin lymphoma

1999–2000
Ken Daneyko
New Jersey Devils
Overcame alcoholism.

2000–01
Adam Graves
New York Rangers
Awarded for all-around dedication to hockey

2001–02
Saku Koivu
Montreal Canadiens

2002–03
Steve Yzerman
Detroit Red Wings
Eventually overcame several health problems, but played only a small part of the 2002–03 NHL season

2003–04
Bryan Berard
Chicago Blackhawks
Overcame an injury that rendered him legally blind in one eye.

2004–05
NHL lockout; no winner

2005–06
Teemu Selanne
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Overcame major knee surgery to score 90 points (40 goals and 50 assists)

2006–07
Phil Kessel
Boston Bruins
Missed 12 games because of testicular cancer mid season.

2007–08
Jason Blake
Toronto Maple Leafs
Was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia but still played a full 82-game season.

2008–09
Steve Sullivan
Nashville Predators
Played 41 games this season after missing nearly two years due to a fragmented disc in his back, and a strained groin.

2009–10
Jose Theodore
Washington Capitals
Had his best season since 2001–02 following his son Chase's death in 2009 from complications stemming from his premature birth.

2010–11
Ian Laperriere
Philadelphia Flyers
Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome after being hit in the face with a puck while blocking a shot during the 2009-10 playoffs; did not play during the 2010-11 season, but "continued to serve the team in several capacities."

-------------------------

Kudos to Rιjaune for the history lesson. It's true that DD embodies the original spirit of the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

Shame on "Monsieur Lance-et-Compte" for failing to acknowledge that more than 80% of winners over the last 25 years were awarded the trophy after overcoming major personal/medical issues, and making this his usual ***-stirring bread-and-butter.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree that Max is our guy but desharnais also has a different case. It's important to admire both their characters in this situation. As for why I'm quoting you...don't say max almost died, it's a childish comment. He was severely injured and almost died is not applicable. At no time during his recovery did Max or any doctor fear for his life. The worst thing you can do to guys like Mac is get their story wrong. Let's call it for what it is, major injury, great recovery and great season. Death has no place in this.
I think it was very well documented that had the broken vertebrae been lower on the spine (or higher, forget exactly), he would've died.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Mathman and I agree... so we must be right.
I'm saving this for posterity

Old
03-16-2012, 03:24 PM
HabsByTheBay

Either would be a good choice. It's perfectly reasonable to argue which is legitimate, especially considering Pacioretty had a pretty easy rehab. He was skating within a couple weeks, let's not forget.

If you are sick of the francophone bias and want to root for another team then do so. I for one won't miss you.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:25 PM
theboss

This is why I ****ing hate the french media. Full of ****ing idiots

theboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Past Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy winners:

(source: Wikipedia)

1967–68
Claude Provost
Montreal Canadiens
"Embodied the definition of perseverance and dedication to hockey" throughout his 15 year career.

1968–69
Ted Hampson
Oakland Seals
Had his best statistical year on a recent expansion team.

1969–70
Pit Martin
Chicago Black Hawks
After denouncing his team at the end of the 1968–69 NHL season, Martin and his team came back with a first place, and Martin had 30 goals and 33 assists for 63 points.

1970–71
Jean Ratelle
New York Rangers
A 20 year veteran, he won the trophy for a "lifelong dedication to strong, clean hockey".

1971–72
Bobby Clarke
Philadelphia Flyers
Overcame diabetes to play in the NHL.

1972–73
Lowell MacDonald
Pittsburgh Penguins
Overcame severe ligament and cartilage damage to his knee and scored 34 goals and 41 assists for 75 points during the 1972–73 NHL season

1973–74
Henri Richard
Montreal Canadiens
This honoured a career with 11 Stanley Cups.

1974–75
Don Luce
Buffalo Sabres
Awarded for perseverance and dedication, after a 38-point increase in scoring from the previous season.

1975–76
Rod Gilbert
New York Rangers
Overcame a serious back injury early during his career.

1976–77
Ed Westfall
New York Islanders
Awarded for being a good leader.

1977–78
Butch Goring
Los Angeles Kings
Made the NHL despite his small overall stature and weight, and had consistently good seasons.

1978–79
Serge Savard
Montreal Canadiens
Awarded for "dedication to hockey", after he won his eighth Stanley Cup in eleven seasons.

1979–80
Al MacAdam
Minnesota North Stars
Rewarded for his perseverance after scoring a career high 42 goals and 51 assists for 93 points.

1980–81
Blake Dunlop
St. Louis Blues
Although he was a star in junior hockey, he only broke out during the 1980–81 NHL season, after being drafted during the 1973–74 NHL season, by scoring 20 goals and 67 assists for 87 points. It was awarded for perseverance.

1981–82
Glenn Resch
Colorado Rockies
Awarded for perseverance, as he gave his young team more confidence while he served as goaltender.

1982–83
Lanny McDonald
Calgary Flames
Presented for his dedication; scored 66 goals and 32 assists for 98 points.

1983–84
Brad Park
Detroit Red Wings
Awarded for his dedication to hockey

1984–85
Anders Hedberg
New York Rangers
He was recognized for a dedicated career, and unlike many other winners, for an exceptional season as well

1985–86
Charlie Simmer
Boston Bruins
Overcame serious ligament damage to his knee to score 60 points.

1986–87
Doug Jarvis
Hartford Whalers
Awarded after he beat Garry Unger's record for consecutive games played, with 914 games.

1987–88
Bob Bourne
Los Angeles Kings
Awarded for exemplifying the qualities of dedication and perseverance.

1988–89
Tim Kerr
Philadelphia Flyers
He returned to score 48 goals and 40 assists for 88 points in 69 games after overcoming severe knee and shoulder injuries, as well as aseptic meningitis the season before.

1989–90
Gord Kluzak
Boston Bruins
Tried to overcome severe knee injuries, but after playing two games after his 10th knee operation, he retired.

1990–91
Dave Taylor
Los Angeles Kings
Played all his 17 seasons with the Kings, and was honored for his dedication.

1991–92
Mark Fitzpatrick
New York Islanders
Overcame eosinophilia myalgia syndrome, a potentially life-threatening disease, and returned to the NHL.

1992–93
Mario Lemieux
Pittsburgh Penguins
Scored 69 goals and 91 assists for 160 points, despite missing 24 games because of Hodgkin's lymphoma

1993–94
Cam Neely
Boston Bruins
Awarded "to recognize his valiant efforts to return to NHL action after suffering career-threatening injuries"; however he retired after 1995–96 NHL season because of those injuries.

1994–95
Pat LaFontaine
Buffalo Sabres
Overcame a series of serious head injuries.

1995–96
Gary Roberts
Calgary Flames
Successfully recovered from possibly career-ending surgery to correct bone spurs and nerve damage

1996–97
Tony Granato
San Jose Sharks
Overcame possibly career-ending brain injury sustained during 1995–96 NHL season to score 25 goals during the 1996–97 NHL season

1997–98
Jamie McLennan
St. Louis Blues
Overcame bacterial meningitis

1998–99
John Cullen
Tampa Bay Lightning

1999–2000
Ken Daneyko
New Jersey Devils
Overcame alcoholism.

2000–01
Adam Graves
New York Rangers
Awarded for all-around dedication to hockey

2001–02
Saku Koivu
Montreal Canadiens

2002–03
Steve Yzerman
Detroit Red Wings
Eventually overcame several health problems, but played only a small part of the 2002–03 NHL season

2003–04
Bryan Berard
Chicago Blackhawks
Overcame an injury that rendered him legally blind in one eye.

2004–05
NHL lockout; no winner

2005–06
Teemu Selanne
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Overcame major knee surgery to score 90 points (40 goals and 50 assists)

2006–07
Phil Kessel
Boston Bruins
Missed 12 games because of testicular cancer mid season.

2007–08
Jason Blake
Toronto Maple Leafs
Was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia but still played a full 82-game season.

2008–09
Steve Sullivan
Nashville Predators
Played 41 games this season after missing nearly two years due to a fragmented disc in his back, and a strained groin.

2009–10
Jose Theodore
Washington Capitals
Had his best season since 2001–02 following his son Chase's death in 2009 from complications stemming from his premature birth.

2010–11
Ian Laperriere
Philadelphia Flyers
Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome after being hit in the face with a puck while blocking a shot during the 2009-10 playoffs; did not play during the 2010-11 season, but "continued to serve the team in several capacities."

-------------------------

Kudos to Rιjaune for the history lesson. It's true that DD embodies the original spirit of the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

Shame on "Monsieur Lance-et-Compte" for failing to acknowledge that more than 80% of winners over the last 25 years were awarded the trophy after overcoming major personal/medical issues, and making this his usual ***-stirring bread-and-butter.
2011–12
David Deharnais
Montreal Canadiens
Being 3 apples high and French

I'm sorry man, but that's the sum of Tremblay's crap.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

While I agree that Desharnais deserves a ton of recognition for all he's achieved, its pretty stupid arguing for him over Patches for the Masterton. If for no other reason, the Masterton is an annual award that primarily focuses on the challenges a player overcomes to play the support in the previous year (or that's how most voters in recent memory have interpreted it. That's why you see the award go to Kessel, Sullivan and S. Koivu and not to St. Louis, Rafalski and Boyle.

If anything, DD had an easier time this year than other years, as he had actually earned a spot on the team. Patches on the other hand had a much tougher time returning to the game.

DD has proven the critics wrong at every turn, but its not the same as a concussion and a broken neck.

As an aside, how sad is it when this is the award discussion going on in Montreal.

EDIT: and when they give the award to guys like Savard it seems more in recognition for the end of a long successful career. DD hopefully has a lot more hockey left in him.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 03-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
2011–12
David Deharnais
Montreal Canadiens
Being 3 apples high and French

I'm sorry man, but that's the sum of Tremblay's crap.
That's one apple too many! Besides, I would have gone for "overcame primordial dwarfism, growth hormone deficiency, French-bashing and Eller fanboy bias"

Old
03-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
This is why I ****ing hate the french media. Full of ****ing idiots
That's what they're paid to do, stir **** up. Some of you guys take it too seriously. The more we pay attention to these guys and talk about them the more they continue coming up with stuff like this, and it's the same for the english media covering the Habs

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote