HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Old
03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I think it was very well documented that had the broken vertebrae been lower on the spine (or higher, forget exactly), he would've died.
Please stop, it's a stupid argument. He got a concussion. Not even a concussion as bad as Crosby or Savard. Granted, he damaged other parts of the body but there should be no talk of death in here. It's sensationalism to suggest that. I love pacioretty, i really do, but we don't have to add "what ifs" to make his recovery more important. If we go by the logic like that, I must've escaped death 4 times today alone. I'm sorry to nitpick, but i dislike the need the sensationalize a good positive story. The guy is playing great, he's a good guy and he made a solid recovery, adding what ifs to make it sound more intense annoys me, it takes away the spotlight of his actual accomplishment.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
2011–12
David Deharnais
Montreal Canadiens
Being 3 apples high and French

I'm sorry man, but that's the sum of Tremblay's crap.
Dude, you have read the list? There are at least 3-4 winners who's achievements are similar or inferior to Desharnais's success.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Please stop, it's a stupid argument. He got a concussion. Not even a concussion as bad as Crosby or Savard. Granted, he damaged other parts of the body but there should be no talk of death in here. It's sensationalism to suggest that. I love pacioretty, i really do, but we don't have to add "what ifs" to make his recovery more important. If we go by the logic like that, I must've escaped death 4 times today alone. I'm sorry to nitpick, but i dislike the need the sensationalize a good positive story. The guy is playing great, he's a good guy and he made a solid recovery, adding what ifs to make it sound more intense annoys me, it takes away the spotlight of his actual accomplishment.
As an aside, (and it has nothing to do with any of the Masterson discussion) I watched that game live. I sincerely thought the guy might be dead when I saw him lying on the ice. I've never felt that way watching a hockey game before.

Obviously it turned out to be 'just' a concussion but watching it live I really thought at the time that there was a good chance that he was going die right there on the ice. Worst thing I've ever seen live in hockey.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Oh lawd.

No, just no. Desharnais is starting to get overrated badly here.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
GordonGraham

desharnais for sure the odds were againts going from east coast, ahl , nhl then earning his ice time

Patch got all the chances in the world from management only thing he did was getting hurt from a legal hit and then got back and his spot was waiting for him

Whats next Markov will be nominated next year

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Dude, you have read the list? There are at least 3-4 winners who's achievements are similar or inferior to Desharnais's success.
2 apples high and Spanish?

Old
03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Oh lawd.

No, just no. Desharnais is starting to get overrated badly here.
He is far from being overrated and has been one of our 3 best forwards. Cole and Patches are playing great with DD. Bottom line is he simply doesn't belong in these discussions (Masterton nomination)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
As an aside, (and it has nothing to do with any of the Masterson discussion) I watched that game live. I sincerely thought the guy might be dead when I saw him lying on the ice. I've never felt that way watching a hockey game before.

Obviously it turned out to be 'just' a concussion but watching it live I really thought at the time that there was a good chance that he was going die right there on the ice. Worst thing I've ever seen live in hockey.
I'm pretty sure everyone who watched that game live felt this way. I know I did.

I don't know who else is being nominated this year, but just based on that image of Pacioretty lying motionless on the ice, he's pretty much a shoo-in this year, IFAIC.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Who?

When?

Why?

Old
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Who?

When?

Why?
The list is right up-there

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
desharnais for sure the odds were againts going from east coast, ahl , nhl then earning his ice time

Patch got all the chances in the world from management only thing he did was getting hurt from a legal hit and then got back and his spot was waiting for him

Whats next Markov will be nominated next year
The referees did nothing about Chara?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I still can't believe Gomez didn't get nominated. How long did he go without scoring? That's quite the accomplishment. Hell, bars we're having birthday parties for him. If that's not worthy of an award I don't know what is.

Old
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
The list is right up-there
I should know it's there. I'm the one who posted it, that much I remember

What I meant is "who in this list of Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy winners has accomplished less in the NHL than David Desharnais, a player who still hasn't played a full year in the league?"

(this question coming from a big DD fan, FYI)

Old
03-16-2012, 05:15 PM
FF de Mars

That old fool Réjean Tremblay only thinks so because his mind is the one side track of a broken tape which won't stop repeating.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
I still can't believe Gomez didn't get nominated. How long did he go without scoring? That's quite the accomplishment. Hell, bars were having birthday parties for him. If that's not worthy of an award I don't know what is.
Behold the Scott Gomez Memorial Trophy!

Old
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I hope DD gets that award that the Habs give out each year. Hamrlik I think got it the last 2 years. Patch is Masterton category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Behold the Scott Gomez Memorial Trophy!

Oh cmon he's injured but still alive IIRC

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Kirk Muller

People are making a big deal of one year of Desharnais in the ECHL? Its not like he was a struggling Pro toiling the ECHL for many years before he got his big break. His second year Pro he was one of the main men in the AHL in Hamilton.

Many high picks spend their first years in Hamilton on the third and fourth line. Its not a huge stretch from fourth line time in the AHL to top line ECHLer.

So other than his one year in the ECHL and being told he is short, what difference in his road to the NHL did he overcome that the majority of NHLers dont cross.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I hope DD gets that award that the Habs give out each year. Hamrlik I think got it the last 2 years. Patch is Masterton category.
Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy

Old
03-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

When Arpon Basu mentioned on Twitter that he would have picked Desharnais instead of Patches, I thought it was a valid point and never thought about the language issue.

Now here, it's a Réjean vs French-bashers debate, so hey, I don't give a **** anymore.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Oh cmon he's injured but still alive IIRC
Smokes and mirrors. Habs management just trying to save face. Listen to Babe Ruth's The Mexican backwards. You can clearly hear 'Scotty G is dead' over and over again

Old
03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

And he did have a non-displaced fracture of two vertabrae. So lucky all around.

But lets be honest. I love both these players

Patches - A player who came back from a terrible injury (and let's be honest about this too....he isn't the only one)
vs.
DD - A player who fought his way into the NHL and happens to be from Quebec.

hmmmm. tough choice

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
People are making a big deal of one year of Desharnais in the ECHL? Its not like he was a struggling Pro toiling the ECHL for many years before he got his big break. His second year Pro he was one of the main men in the AHL in Hamilton.

Many high picks spend their first years in Hamilton on the third and fourth line. Its not a huge stretch from fourth line time in the AHL to top line ECHLer.

So other than his one year in the ECHL and being told he is short, what difference in his road to the NHL did he overcome that the majority of NHLers dont cross.
I know people don't want to hear it, but Desharnais didn't even have the hardest road to the NHL on this team of any French player.

Mathieu Darche did. Desharnais is very talented even with his limits, if there's any one on this team who made the NHL entirely through dedication, it's Darche.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Let's face it Desharnais is not the embodiment of perseverence. His opportunity and success is largely owed to timing, and the fact that Montreal is the weakest team in the NHL at the centre position.

The Habs suck and a small guy got a shot at the bigs because management had created a stockpile of nothing. So far he's made the best of what he's been given but he's nothing special or inspirational.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
French Homer!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I understand, but such a distinction should be awared to situations of the clint malarchuk variety.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote