HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
  #151
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I think it was very well documented that had the broken vertebrae been lower on the spine (or higher, forget exactly), he would've died.
Please stop, it's a stupid argument. He got a concussion. Not even a concussion as bad as Crosby or Savard. Granted, he damaged other parts of the body but there should be no talk of death in here. It's sensationalism to suggest that. I love pacioretty, i really do, but we don't have to add "what ifs" to make his recovery more important. If we go by the logic like that, I must've escaped death 4 times today alone. I'm sorry to nitpick, but i dislike the need the sensationalize a good positive story. The guy is playing great, he's a good guy and he made a solid recovery, adding what ifs to make it sound more intense annoys me, it takes away the spotlight of his actual accomplishment.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
  #152
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
2011–12
David Deharnais
Montreal Canadiens
Being 3 apples high and French

I'm sorry man, but that's the sum of Tremblay's crap.
Dude, you have read the list? There are at least 3-4 winners who's achievements are similar or inferior to Desharnais's success.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
  #153
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Please stop, it's a stupid argument. He got a concussion. Not even a concussion as bad as Crosby or Savard. Granted, he damaged other parts of the body but there should be no talk of death in here. It's sensationalism to suggest that. I love pacioretty, i really do, but we don't have to add "what ifs" to make his recovery more important. If we go by the logic like that, I must've escaped death 4 times today alone. I'm sorry to nitpick, but i dislike the need the sensationalize a good positive story. The guy is playing great, he's a good guy and he made a solid recovery, adding what ifs to make it sound more intense annoys me, it takes away the spotlight of his actual accomplishment.
As an aside, (and it has nothing to do with any of the Masterson discussion) I watched that game live. I sincerely thought the guy might be dead when I saw him lying on the ice. I've never felt that way watching a hockey game before.

Obviously it turned out to be 'just' a concussion but watching it live I really thought at the time that there was a good chance that he was going die right there on the ice. Worst thing I've ever seen live in hockey.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
  #154
68
Registered User
 
68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,114
vCash: 500
Oh lawd.

No, just no. Desharnais is starting to get overrated badly here.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
  #155
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,935
vCash: 500
desharnais for sure the odds were againts going from east coast, ahl , nhl then earning his ice time

Patch got all the chances in the world from management only thing he did was getting hurt from a legal hit and then got back and his spot was waiting for him

Whats next Markov will be nominated next year

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
  #156
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Dude, you have read the list? There are at least 3-4 winners who's achievements are similar or inferior to Desharnais's success.
2 apples high and Spanish?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
  #157
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Oh lawd.

No, just no. Desharnais is starting to get overrated badly here.
He is far from being overrated and has been one of our 3 best forwards. Cole and Patches are playing great with DD. Bottom line is he simply doesn't belong in these discussions (Masterton nomination)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
  #158
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under the mistletoe
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
As an aside, (and it has nothing to do with any of the Masterson discussion) I watched that game live. I sincerely thought the guy might be dead when I saw him lying on the ice. I've never felt that way watching a hockey game before.

Obviously it turned out to be 'just' a concussion but watching it live I really thought at the time that there was a good chance that he was going die right there on the ice. Worst thing I've ever seen live in hockey.
I'm pretty sure everyone who watched that game live felt this way. I know I did.

I don't know who else is being nominated this year, but just based on that image of Pacioretty lying motionless on the ice, he's pretty much a shoo-in this year, IFAIC.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
  #159
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under the mistletoe
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Dude, you have read the list? There are at least 3-4 winners who's achievements are similar or inferior to Desharnais's success.
Who?

When?

Why?

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
  #160
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Who?

When?

Why?
The list is right up-there

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:09 PM
  #161
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
desharnais for sure the odds were againts going from east coast, ahl , nhl then earning his ice time

Patch got all the chances in the world from management only thing he did was getting hurt from a legal hit and then got back and his spot was waiting for him

Whats next Markov will be nominated next year
The referees did nothing about Chara?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
  #162
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,309
vCash: 500
I still can't believe Gomez didn't get nominated. How long did he go without scoring? That's quite the accomplishment. Hell, bars we're having birthday parties for him. If that's not worthy of an award I don't know what is.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
  #163
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under the mistletoe
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The list is right up-there
I should know it's there. I'm the one who posted it, that much I remember

What I meant is "who in this list of Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy winners has accomplished less in the NHL than David Desharnais, a player who still hasn't played a full year in the league?"

(this question coming from a big DD fan, FYI)

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:15 PM
  #164
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,277
vCash: 500
That old fool Réjean Tremblay only thinks so because his mind is the one side track of a broken tape which won't stop repeating.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:18 PM
  #165
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under the mistletoe
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I still can't believe Gomez didn't get nominated. How long did he go without scoring? That's quite the accomplishment. Hell, bars were having birthday parties for him. If that's not worthy of an award I don't know what is.
Behold the Scott Gomez Memorial Trophy!




Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
  #166
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,623
vCash: 500
I hope DD gets that award that the Habs give out each year. Hamrlik I think got it the last 2 years. Patch is Masterton category.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Behold the Scott Gomez Memorial Trophy!



Oh cmon he's injured but still alive IIRC

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
  #167
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
People are making a big deal of one year of Desharnais in the ECHL? Its not like he was a struggling Pro toiling the ECHL for many years before he got his big break. His second year Pro he was one of the main men in the AHL in Hamilton.

Many high picks spend their first years in Hamilton on the third and fourth line. Its not a huge stretch from fourth line time in the AHL to top line ECHLer.

So other than his one year in the ECHL and being told he is short, what difference in his road to the NHL did he overcome that the majority of NHLers dont cross.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:23 PM
  #168
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under the mistletoe
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I hope DD gets that award that the Habs give out each year. Hamrlik I think got it the last 2 years. Patch is Masterton category.
Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:29 PM
  #169
Harpo
Lyle forever
 
Harpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
When Arpon Basu mentioned on Twitter that he would have picked Desharnais instead of Patches, I thought it was a valid point and never thought about the language issue.

Now here, it's a Réjean vs French-bashers debate, so hey, I don't give a **** anymore.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
  #170
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under the mistletoe
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Oh cmon he's injured but still alive IIRC
Smokes and mirrors. Habs management just trying to save face. Listen to Babe Ruth's The Mexican backwards. You can clearly hear 'Scotty G is dead' over and over again

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
  #171
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
As an aside, (and it has nothing to do with any of the Masterson discussion) I watched that game live. I sincerely thought the guy might be dead when I saw him lying on the ice. I've never felt that way watching a hockey game before.

Obviously it turned out to be 'just' a concussion but watching it live I really thought at the time that there was a good chance that he was going die right there on the ice. Worst thing I've ever seen live in hockey.
And he did have a non-displaced fracture of two vertabrae. So lucky all around.

But lets be honest. I love both these players

Patches - A player who came back from a terrible injury (and let's be honest about this too....he isn't the only one)
vs.
DD - A player who fought his way into the NHL and happens to be from Quebec.


hmmmm. tough choice

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
  #172
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
People are making a big deal of one year of Desharnais in the ECHL? Its not like he was a struggling Pro toiling the ECHL for many years before he got his big break. His second year Pro he was one of the main men in the AHL in Hamilton.

Many high picks spend their first years in Hamilton on the third and fourth line. Its not a huge stretch from fourth line time in the AHL to top line ECHLer.

So other than his one year in the ECHL and being told he is short, what difference in his road to the NHL did he overcome that the majority of NHLers dont cross.
I know people don't want to hear it, but Desharnais didn't even have the hardest road to the NHL on this team of any French player.

Mathieu Darche did. Desharnais is very talented even with his limits, if there's any one on this team who made the NHL entirely through dedication, it's Darche.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
  #173
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,325
vCash: 500
Let's face it Desharnais is not the embodiment of perseverence. His opportunity and success is largely owed to timing, and the fact that Montreal is the weakest team in the NHL at the centre position.

The Habs suck and a small guy got a shot at the bigs because management had created a stockpile of nothing. So far he's made the best of what he's been given but he's nothing special or inspirational.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
  #174
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,169
vCash: 50
French Homer!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
  #175
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
As an aside, (and it has nothing to do with any of the Masterson discussion) I watched that game live. I sincerely thought the guy might be dead when I saw him lying on the ice. I've never felt that way watching a hockey game before.

Obviously it turned out to be 'just' a concussion but watching it live I really thought at the time that there was a good chance that he was going die right there on the ice. Worst thing I've ever seen live in hockey.
I understand, but such a distinction should be awared to situations of the clint malarchuk variety.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.