HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Old
03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It shouldn't be "the best shortest player award" either.
I'd love to see a Desharnais compilation with the Randy Newman song "short people" backing it.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Halifaxhab*

Would Desharnais have had the numbers he's put up in the AHL and the NHL this year if he didn't have Pacioretty?

And, did he get his shot because of his chemistry with Patches?

Either way, I don't feeel he's a Masterton candidate. He's a great hometown feel good story but not award worthy.

sigh...he'll probably get a movie from it though.....Smurfs 2

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
DD is not the first player to come into the league as an undrafted player and be successful.

Should Toronto nominate Tyler Bozak?
I seriously hope you aren't comparing DD to Bozak...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I seriously hope you aren't comparing DD to Bozak...
Undrafted player in the NHL centering their teams respective top lines. What's the difference?

Oh, right, one plays for the Habs.

Is Matt Read nominated for the Masterton for the Flyers?
St. Louis didn't win it; why would DD?

I have no problem with someone saying DD deserves a nomination, to be truthful. To say he deserves it over Pacioretty is disgusting and quite frankly disrespectful to the best forward on our team.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somehow the people who hate Tremblay bringing the "french" factor are actually bringing it more and to another level. Again, why the heck do you have to destroy DD to be sure MaxPac deserve it more. Any chance that you'd acknowledge BOTH even if you prefer Max? If Max doesn't have that incident, who is your candidate? Gorges 'cause he was hurt last year and is back now? Markov 'cause he played 3 games this year? Geez, we've lost more man games in the past years than anybody else in the league, can't believe we haven't won the Masterton every year....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Shabutie

The award is pretty dumb either way. Last year we nominated Darche I believe? If you nominate Darche, you might as well nominate Staubitz. Guys who fight for roster spots... I don't get it though, do we not expect AHLers, ECHLers to fight to play in the NHL one day?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:36 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow the people who hate Tremblay bringing the "french" factor are actually bringing it more and to another level. Again, why the heck do you have to destroy DD to be sure MaxPac deserve it more. Any chance that you'd acknowledge BOTH even if you prefer Max? If Max doesn't have that incident, who is your candidate? Gorges 'cause he was hurt last year and is back now? Markov 'cause he played 3 games this year? Geez, we've lost more man games in the past years than anybody else in the league, can't believe we haven't won the Masterton every year....
Read my previous post. It's not that DD doesn't deserve a nomination it's just that to say he deserves it over Pacioretty is completely wrong. Especially when you consider Pacioretty's unique case and you can make a claim for a plethora of players around the NHL that have overcome the same odds Desharnais has.

Old
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Read my previous post. It's not that DD doesn't deserve a nomination it's just that to say he deserves it over Pacioretty is completely wrong. Especially when you consider Pacioretty's unique case and you can make a claim for a plethora of players around the NHL that have overcome the same odds Desharnais has.
So my point isn't directed to you. But there are a lot out there bashing DD every time they get and while it makes no sense doing it as he is amongst the only great news this season. I have no problem with people prefering MaxPac. I would as well. But DD is a close second mainly because I don't agree with your evaluation. A player that was never drafted, that was told everywhere that he's too small and would never make it. A player that even then, succeeded immensely in every league he has played. All that doing great this year and being at the size that he is which, in this league, is tough and we are clearly not talking about 5'10 or 5'11'' here. I'd say that there are less people like him in the league that you think there is.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's an awesome hometown feel good story. But not more worthy than the player who returned from a major injury.

Had Pacioretty not been hurt last season, DD might have been the nomination.

Where a player is from should never play into the decision. But Tremblay seems to forget that and sometimes gets his pure laine pulled over his eyes ( see what I did there)

Old
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Kjell Dahlin

I vote for Desharnais and Pacioretty. If Cole was younger, he would be my #1. Luckily for me, they - Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole are my #1.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
MXD

Quote:
Undrafted player in the NHL centering their teams respective top lines. What's the difference?

I have no problem with someone saying DD deserves a nomination, to be truthful. To say he deserves it over Pacioretty is disgusting and quite frankly disrespectful to the best forward on our team.
First of all, I think that Pacioretty losing it for the Habs would have made no sense whatsoever, considering he's probably the favorite to win the award. Pacioretty HAD to be the Habs nominee. And for DD, well, you nailed it : why would a guy win a trophy because he was actually way more skilled than anybody would suggest at first is above me. MSL, and DD, made it because they're actually extremely talented players, and while they certainly worked hard, they were both born with something that none of us have/had here.

I just had much more problems with the fact that you compared DD to Bozak...

Old
03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
MXD

On the other hand, DD is crucially underrated...

I mean, TYLER BOZAK?

Old
03-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

I mean, TYLER BOZAK?
Who Dat? The Pizza Delivery guy?

Old
03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:

I mean, TYLER BOZAK?
I was comparing their situations. Both undrafted players playing as 1st line centers with high producing wingers in tough Canadian markets.

There's no question who I'd rather on my team.

Old
03-16-2012, 05:59 PM
MXD

Quote:
I was comparing their situations. Both undrafted players playing as 1st line centers with high producing wingers in tough Canadian markets.

There's no question who I'd rather on my team.
You forgot the most important point, which is, one is a productive 1st line center playing with high-producing wingers in a dual correlation situation, and the other is a non-producing 1st line-center with high-producing wingers in a no-correlation situation.

Old
03-16-2012, 06:00 PM
ChesterNimitz

My god how the mighty have fallen. I remember the times when the biggest argument about the Canadiens was: who was going to win the Hart trophy. Richard or Lach? Beliveau or Geffrion? Lafleur or Robinson? The Masterson? And you're letting this French twit get your panties in a knot over it? The Masterson is akin to being named Miss Congeniality at the Miss American Pageant. Does any serious hockey fan really care?

That is all.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
My god how the mighty have fallen. I remember the times when the biggest argument about the Canadiens was: who was going to win the Hart trophy. Richard or Lach? Beliveau or Geffrion? Lafleur or Robinson? The Masterson? And you're letting this French twit get your panties in a knot over it? The Masterson is akin to being named Miss Congeniality at the Miss American Pageant. Does any serious hockey fan really care?

That is all.
Are you seriously suggesting there's a Geoffrion on our team?

I mean... not Blake...

Old
03-16-2012, 06:04 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
You forgot the most important point, which is, one is a productive 1st line center playing with high-producing wingers in a dual correlation situation, and the other is a non-producing 1st line-center with high-producing wingers in a no-correlation situation.
Correlations do not infer causation.

Old
03-16-2012, 06:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post

That is all.
I think I remember you defending Gomer before. Sorry I can't take anything seriously after that

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Schooner Guy

They're both nice stories but I think Pacioretty's story is a bit bigger as he came back from such an extreme injury to play at such a high level.

Maybe Desharnais gets team MVP. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over this and bash either player. They're two of our best forwards and both young.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:

Almost dying, almost being paralyzed, almost losing everything he's worked hard for.. Coming back and becoming a 30 goal scorer and top line player.

vs.

Being short.

Give me a ****ing break.
Quote:
I am not 'hating' on him. I have nothing against him. I just think that he has no pro potential. If you are that small, you've got to have good wheels and a boat load of offensive talent/creativity. He just doesn't have what it takes to succeed at his size.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=390

=>

If Desharnais was not French, WeThreeKings would love him.

Keep making the haters look bad David!
Desharnais is part of the solution.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
They're both nice stories but I think Pacioretty's story is a bit bigger as he came back from such an extreme injury to play at such a high level.

Maybe Desharnais gets team MVP. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over this and bash either player. They're two of our best forwards and both young.
Most people vote for Desharnais and/or Pacioretty!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I understand, but such a distinction should be awared to situations of the clint malarchuk variety.
I did not see that live and I hope this doesn't turn into a series of which injuries is worse type stuff because that's not my intent.

Huge difference between watching it on the news already knowing what happened vs. seeing a guy on the ice and wondering if he's ever going to get up again.

Never seen that before and I hope I never see it again.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
barneyg

Quote:

I haven't read the whole thread carefully but I think some of you guys are looking at this the wrong way (not talking about you in particular).

Maybe St. Louis WILL win it. In the past 20 years, the only players to win the Masterton who weren't coming back from injuries (a la Pacioretty: Laperriere, Sullivan, Selanne..) or severe personal events (Theodore, Daneyko) were guys who had LONG careers in the NHL, and they won it near the end of their careers (Graves, Taylor, Jarvis, Hedberg). I can easily see people spinning the St. Louis Cinderella story when he's on his farewell tour.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:58 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=390

=>

If Desharnais was not French, WeThreeKings would love him.

Keep making the haters look bad David!
Desharnais is part of the solution.

EDIT:

Most people vote for Desharnais and/or Pacioretty!
It never had anything to do with Desharnais being french. I was not the only one in that thread who had concerns over his footspeed and agility for a guy his size. Even, I believe, Whitesnake, had similar concerns over his lack of explosiveness.

He's found a way to be succesful this season between Pacioretty and Cole. Hopefully he continues an upward trend; I'm in it for the best interest of the team (which is why I support the tank). If Desharnais becomes a consistent 60 point player, do you think I'm gonna complain?

Old
03-16-2012, 10:43 PM
habtastic

We all love DD (well, the sane ones), but this is a farce. Why didn't Mike Ricci ever win for being so...not facially gifted?

I am pulling for DD (in the overall discussion), but the french media being hyperbolic about him is not helping my case. I'm sure DD would hate to see that article.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote