HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Old
03-17-2012, 12:02 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
DD is so underrated and has fell under the radar so many times during his career that he gets the same treatment even for the Masterton nomination. That's the definition of an underrated player.

Hopefully, if he continues to beat the odds, one day, he'll get the recognition that he deserves.

To me, DD, along with Price, Subban and Pacioretty, are the frontrunner candidates to become the first player to see their number being retired by the Habs since Patrick Roy. (the 4 of them are very unlikely though) I can see DD playing being successful with the Habs until he's 40 years old and having a career à la Ray Whitney (or à la Cliff Ronning, at worst).

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 12:58 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Please stop, it's a stupid argument. He got a concussion. Not even a concussion as bad as Crosby or Savard. Granted, he damaged other parts of the body but there should be no talk of death in here. It's sensationalism to suggest that. I love pacioretty, i really do, but we don't have to add "what ifs" to make his recovery more important. If we go by the logic like that, I must've escaped death 4 times today alone. I'm sorry to nitpick, but i dislike the need the sensationalize a good positive story. The guy is playing great, he's a good guy and he made a solid recovery, adding what ifs to make it sound more intense annoys me, it takes away the spotlight of his actual accomplishment.
I know what you mean. And I made a sensational slightly drunk post on Pax myself.

But I think your are underestimating the bravery, determination and sweat that Pax needed to come back from this, let alone score 35 goals. That is the definition of the Masterton, as it should be.

Come on dude, think about it. I've been badly injured like that once, and it is really not good. Makes you like a kitten.

I love DD, we all do, I'm more and more surprised by him, and I think he's a HAB. I reserve that definition for very few players, and usually French Quebecois. He reminds me of Pocket Rocket, and that's a very very good thing.

But Max vs DD for the Masterton? Come on guys. The Masterton is a recover from serious injury or illness award, as it should be. Not an award for succeeding when you are small and not drafted.

This entire thread is about that faggy journo's never played in my life (and I'm so sick of them, french or english) misunderstanding of the Masterton.

Come on guys, this is the case. So can we chill, give Max the award he deserves, and give DD the chez nous love he deserves? Jeez, it's not complicated.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Roby1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
DD is not the first player to come into the league as an undrafted player and be successful.

Should Toronto nominate Tyler Bozak?
Or New Jerseys David Clarkson.

Roby1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
People are making a big deal of one year of Desharnais in the ECHL? Its not like he was a struggling Pro toiling the ECHL for many years before he got his big break. His second year Pro he was one of the main men in the AHL in Hamilton.

Many high picks spend their first years in Hamilton on the third and fourth line. Its not a huge stretch from fourth line time in the AHL to top line ECHLer.

So other than his one year in the ECHL and being told he is short, what difference in his road to the NHL did he overcome that the majority of NHLers dont cross.
This sums it up for me.

His stature may have been responsible for a year or so extra of minor league time. DD may have actually derived a good deal of long term benefit from his additional apprenticeship in the minors. Had he been a few inches taller, he may have been called up prior to refining his game sufficiently to perform as he has in the NHL.

A year in the ECHL is hardly hell. Most of the players who haven't been sent down to the ECHL enjoy their time playing hockey for a living. Guys who get sent down-just like those who get sent down to the AHL from the NHL-usually aren't so happy. DD wasn't one of those.

He's 25, making close to a million bucks, and playing NHL hockey for his hometown team. That he may have spent an extra year or so in the minors in order to reach where he is now hardly seems more than an inconvenience-and a minor one at that.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:18 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:

Almost dying, almost being paralyzed, almost losing everything he's worked hard for.. Coming back and becoming a 30 goal scorer and top line player.

vs.

Being short.

Give me a ****ing break.
I completely agree. Desharnais has done a great job at working his way up to NHL regular despite his size. But he didn't almost die, and come back to be a Top 10 NHL goal scorer. Both show perseverance, but I think Patches story is better.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

At first I blinked a little bit about DD being a potential candidate but after reading arguments and articles, I agree with it. I'm fine with MP getting the nod though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind
I completely agree. Desharnais has done a great job at working his way up to NHL regular despite his size. But he didn't almost die, and come back to be a Top 10 NHL goal scorer. Both show perseverance, but I think Patches story is better.
I find it bizarre to use "he almost died" as an argument that he deserves the award. That would mean anyone who's sent head first into the boards could literally be nominated since it could potentially result in death. Just seems silly to say that. Sure MP "could" have died. But what was the end result ? A neck injury with zero permanent damage, and a minor concussion. Patch didn't have to stand there for weeks/months in doubt that his career was over or go through some long rehabilitation process and non-stop treatments. I think we all knew within a day or two that he was gonna be fine. It was scary, but it being scary isn't an argument for him being the de facto masterton choice. I don't get that "argument".

However, I credit MP for overcoming the story itself and not let it ruin his season. Must have been annoying to talk about it all year long, face 911 ridicule, "Where is Chara" comments,etc. The fact he came back and didn't play scared of getting another injury like that was also a testament to his courage. To me that's a bigger deal than the physical injuries themselves and why I feel he's as good a pick as any for the trophy, but not because of the physical injuries themselves.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 12:05 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
He should be. The masterton is not the "best player coming back from injury" award, its the award for the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. I agree Patches persevered through his injury but DD stuck with it through not being drafted to centering the Habs first line. Also, MaxPac has 2 suspensions does he not?
I agree with this, and I agree with maxpac for masterton ... Never did tremblay say that max didnt deserve it...he starts by saying he's happy max got nominated. he just basically said Desharnais deserved it too, which I totally agree with.. its his opinion. He didn't play a supporting role, he was instrumental all year ...both of them were.

its crazy how too positive comments can be made into a battle. I doubt the majority here read the article before posting.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 12:51 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Another year sure Desharnais should get the nod but MaxPac is the best choice from the Habs lineup. Also please explain to me why Michael Ryder was not nominated (as far as I am aware) after he had an amazing rookie season? He was sent to the ECHL TWICE, persevered in the AHL and had a great rookie season.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
29dryden29

Quote:

Almost dying, almost being paralyzed, almost losing everything he's worked hard for.. Coming back and becoming a 30 goal scorer and top line player.

vs.

Being short.

Give me a ****ing break.

I commend Paches for coming back from his injury but you are over exagerating the ALMOST died almost being paralyzed etc. Yes he got injured but it was never as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be. Also don't get me wrong I am not saying he shouldn't be nominated just arguing the death paralyzed part.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:21 PM
haburger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I commend Paches for coming back from his injury but you are over exagerating the ALMOST died almost being paralyzed etc. Yes he got injured but it was never as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be. Also don't get me wrong I am not saying he shouldn't be nominated just arguing the death paralyzed part.
I think its great we have 2 candidates. . Why do people have to pit our players against each other til death all the time ?weak.

haburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:24 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
I think its great we have 2 candidates. . Why do people have to pit our players against each other til death all the time ?weak.
With this season I am amazed we have a player nominated for anything lol it is good to see we have some guys getting recognition during this train wreck we have watched this year.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
This entire thread is about that faggy journo's never played in my life (and I'm so sick of them, french or english) misunderstanding of the Masterton.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

I find it bizarre to use "he almost died" as an argument that he deserves the award. That would mean anyone who's sent head first into the boards could literally be nominated since it could potentially result in death. Just seems silly to say that.
Well to be fair, it would also have to result in broken vertebrates, and he'd also have to come back the following year to produce to the point of exceeding expectations.
If MaxPac had 30pts, I don't think he'd have been nominated.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

The advocates for DD are being spiteful. Suppose the Habs did nominate him. I don't imagine him getting many votes for the Masterton from outside PQ. He would be a distant loser but RT and the other chauvinists would feel no embarrasment for having nominated such a weak candidate. MP would get quite a few votes from outside QP. although it's not guaranteed that he would win the award. I wonder if the chauvinists would have the decency to end their gripe if MP won. I suspect not.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The award was never given to Martin Saint-Louis, why would it be any different for DD? Rafalski didn't get it either. That's not the true purpose of the award, and as per usual, Réjaune is blind to the obvious. Most winners of the award have gone through events that could potentially jeapordize their careers.

A simple glance at the list might illuminate some :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Masterton_Trophy

Just another excuse for Réjaune to bash the Habs and make it about a -Quebec- issue..

Would it have still been written if Desharnais had been named Smith, some guy from Minneapolis?

Last edited by Ozymandias: 03-17-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I know what you mean. And I made a sensational slightly drunk post on Pax myself.

But I think your are underestimating the bravery, determination and sweat that Pax needed to come back from this, let alone score 35 goals. That is the definition of the Masterton, as it should be.

Come on dude, think about it. I've been badly injured like that once, and it is really not good. Makes you like a kitten.

I love DD, we all do, I'm more and more surprised by him, and I think he's a HAB. I reserve that definition for very few players, and usually French Quebecois. He reminds me of Pocket Rocket, and that's a very very good thing.

But Max vs DD for the Masterton? Come on guys. The Masterton is a recover from serious injury or illness award, as it should be. Not an award for succeeding when you are small and not drafted.

Come on guys, this is the case. So can we chill, give Max the award he deserves, and give DD the chez nous love he deserves? Jeez, it's not complicated.
I agree, Max is a better example than DD and I never meant to suggest otherwise. I just rather avoid sensationalism. Both are great character guys and glad to have both and DD might have been our nominee if max situation hadn't happened...but it did so DD shouldn't be part of equation here. I understand making reference to him being a candidate but to suggest his story is more impactful than max is foolish.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Young Gun

The only award that really matters , both Desharnais and Pacioretty can both share along with the rest of the team....the stanley cup baby!!!!

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Give it to the whole line.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The award was never given to Martin Saint-Louis, why would it be any different for DD? Rafalski didn't get it either. That's not the true purpose of the award, and as per usual, Réjaune is blind to the obvious. Most winners of the award have gone through events that could potentially jeapordize their careers.

A simple glance at the list might illuminate some :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Masterton_Trophy

Just another excuse for Réjaune to bash the Habs and make it about a -Quebec- issue..

Would it have still been written if Desharnais had been named Smith, some guy from Minneapolis?
Well if you look PRIOR to 1985, it was necessarily designed to be given to the most injured guy that came back doing great the year after. So that's what glancing at the list does. It's that you could, if you want to, make it about all-time achievement award, like this is the reason why Daniel Alfredsson is actually nominated this year or like Adam Graves for his dedication to hockey for all sorts of reasons, Dave Taylor and others prior to 1985. So if the league want to do it, they could do it. History is there to proove that it was once for that too. Yet, somehow, seems easier for the league to not make it too difficult to judge, look at who was hurt, and who had the best career the year after. As far as I'm concern, it is way too simplistic to look at. Some injuries are graver than others. And some injuries were easier to go through than others. And then there's the whole wording beside the Masterton trophy which for me says that you didn't have to be hurt to have perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication. But then, I guess it becomes more subjective so I guess the league didn't want to go that far.

Now, about your easier question of the year, no Tremblay would not have made a paper about it if it was Smith. Case closed. Yet, Tremblay is not the issue. His comment is. So remove Tremblay from the equation and let's discuss why it's a good or bad thing to talk about DD in that regard. I can tell you that with a guy like Tremblay, we'd be ALL agreeing on a topic. Totally unanimous. Then, we'd read an article where Tremblay agrees with us....and I can tell you that we'd found a way to bash him. I know.....I did plenty of time. I am all for bringing more Q players, yet when Tremblay says it, the way he speaks about it, it makes me furious 'cause he just bring the subject in such an ignorant way, that it brings the message to a really bad level which it doesn't deserve to be. Yet, the essence is usually worth talking even if it's to disagree with.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:11 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well if you look PRIOR to 1985, it was necessarily designed to be given to the most injured guy that came back doing great the year after. So that's what glancing at the list does. It's that you could, if you want to, make it about all-time achievement award, like this is the reason why Daniel Alfredsson is actually nominated this year..
Wrong. Alfie is nominated because he had serious back problems the last year and he's finally healthy and quite productive. I think he even had back surgery IIRC.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Wrong. Alfie is nominated because he had serious back problems the last year and he's finally healthy and quite productive. I think he even had back surgery IIRC.
True. My bad. But there were winners like I said that weren't related to injuries. And there are surely nominations this year that isn't related to injuries either. How about Jagr?

Old
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
True. My bad. But there were winners like I said that weren't related to injuries. And there are surely nominations this year that isn't related to injuries either. How about Jagr?
Still viewed as a ''comeback'', similar to an injury.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
You might be correct about others. I was just pointing out the Alfie one

My opinion still stands DD for the team award and Patch for the Masterton... and Conn Smythe in 2015

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Still viewed as a ''comeback'', similar to an injury.
Yet, we are not talking about who could win the whole thing. We are simply talking about a team's nomination. And look at the nominatino throughout the league, it's not every team who needs to have a big time injured player who is nominated. Which, like I said, if Pacioretty isn't injured, who gets nominated for our team? If DD comes 2nd, well some could actually have a case in "trying" to make him 1st by calling out the trophy as it's actually described. No place do see this trophy being called the "return to life" trophy. Or a guy the exemplified the greatest courage by coming back after an injury or illness. If you read the description as it is, do you really give it to Phil Kessel for example just because that freakin scary word cancer was attached to him for a big week, thank god to the fact that it was a pretty easy cancer to be removed? Any cancer news is awful to get but it does exemplify all that trophy is about, compared to let say a guy even like St-Louis who was always called too small to play in this league. That his first stint with Calgary didn't worked out, that he went at it again and then will always be remembered as one of the greatest players to have ever played the game? Or was it because a news like that shocked the world to see a kid or any kids for that matter be tagged with a freakin cancer, which made him the news of the year, hence the trophy. Though, OBVIOUSLY, nobody is saying that Kessel had no problem taking that news and it did take some courage to go through it, I know, my dad died from it, my wife had one and we all know somebody who did. But I think that at the very least, it shouldn't be as clear cut. So clearly, usually, but depending of the injury, coming back from serious injuries, and coming back and playing good does signify dedication and perserverance. But I do believe other things should play a role too.

Old
03-18-2012, 04:01 AM
dutchy29

decent enough debate, I don't know the whole story on DD, but the no brainer in my book would be Patches, finally comes into his own with the Habs, and then gets hit, breaks his neck, the player that hits him get nothing!!!! Patches make full recovery, never makes much fuss as to what shoud have happen to Chara. comes out of the gait flying this season, Has a semi-questionable hit on Letang? Gets suspended, never whines about the consequences, still manages to come back and tear it up with a 30+goal season. The guy is a class act. Future all-star for the HAbs IMO

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote