HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Tokarski make it in the NHL?

Old
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
MattM92

vCash: 500
Will Tokarski make it in the NHL?

Now let me start off by saying I'm in no way bashing his talent or passion for the game. I've just been watching him these past few games (with the exception of the Toronto game, got pulled before I got out of class) and it seems like he just isn't big enough to play the butterfly successfully in the NHL. What do you all think?

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Now let me start off by saying I'm in no way bashing his talent or passion for the game. I've just been watching him these past few games (with the exception of the Toronto game, got pulled before I got out of class) and it seems like he just isn't big enough to play the butterfly successfully in the NHL. What do you all think?
His size has always been a knock and yet he has found a way to excel at every level. I wouldn't bet against him becoming an NHLer for that reason alone.

I've never played goal and am extremely limited in my ability to analyze their movement and positioning but from what I've witnessed, he has struck me as both fluid and economical in his approach. He's made some very impressive saves at this level already but he has also looked raw in his positioning at times. 4 games is such a small sample size, though, and I doubt his total body of work in this stint will serve anything more than an indicator of what he might be capable of, not what he will actually be at this level.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
nhljohnson

And I'm also of the opinion that, short of Tokarski posting ridiculous numbers for all of his remaining starts, SFY will be hell-bent on addressing the G position via UFA or trade as opposed to an internal solution and letting Tic continue to hone his game in the A.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
MattM92

I sincerely hope you're right. I just keep thinking about that Carolina game in which I blamed multiple goals not on his abilities or positioning, but on his size. I like Tik and want him to succeed because he does work so hard on his positioning and quickness, but I'm worried that genetics will do him in.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
nhljohnson

And even if Tic did win his remaining starts and post, say, a sub-2.50 GAA and .920+ SV% in the process, I still think that only makes SFY consider a Tokarski/Garon tandem for 2012-2013.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:51 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
I sincerely hope you're right. I just keep thinking about that Carolina game in which I blamed multiple goals not on his abilities or positioning, but on his size. I like Tik and want him to succeed because he does work so hard on his positioning and quickness, but I'm worried that genetics will do him in.
It's a valid concern b/c he is somewhat undersized but a) he's 5'11" -- it's not like he's severely lacking in the height department and b) it's not like there isn't precedent for smaller goalies being successful in the bigs (Jaroslav Halak comes to mind right off the bat).

In my undereducated opinion, I think the biggest key to his success will be positioning and awareness. I mean, this is probably true of every emerging goalie, but, given his stature, he's has to ensure he doesn't go down too quickly and he can't afford to be sloppy with his angles. You can't teach the natural athleticism and instincts but you sure as hell can improve upon and complement them with excellent technique.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I think he can but I can already see parts of him where he is still very raw and needs a lot of work on only a few things - namely his positioning, awareness, and lateral movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
And I'm also of the opinion that, short of Tokarski posting ridiculous numbers for all of his remaining starts, SFY will be hell-bent on addressing the G position via UFA or trade as opposed to an internal solution and letting Tic continue to hone his game in the A.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
And even if Tic did win his remaining starts and post, say, a sub-2.50 GAA and .920+ SV% in the process, I still think that only makes SFY consider a Tokarski/Garon tandem for 2012-2013.
Sounds about right, its very unlikely hes here next year. Hell, I still think its unlikely hes here the year after next.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I don't think he's NHL ready at all, my opinion, he needs some seasoning as back-up or Norfolk starter

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
I'm going to echo that. I think he will be a solid NHL goalie, maybe even a stud, but he's not there yet. He's also only 22, which is young as hell for a goalie in the NHL... give him more time.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Tik is listed as 5'11.

Patrick Roy 6'1
Dominik Hasek 6'1
Martin Brodeur 6'2
Lundqvist 6'1, etc.

Tik's not that far off the mark. His pads look big compared to the rest of him, sort of like any youth goalie.

But like any youth goalie, there's an element of relying on the pads to block the shot, rather than having total belief in your ability to stop the puck.

Stupid as it sounds, Tik changed his leg pads when he got called up. That didn't really need to happen if he felt comfortable in his old ones. No one cares the colors don't match.

He might have changed other equipment too, in order to compensate for what he thought/knew the NHL would be like, and that kind of stuff can throw a goalie off.

He's only 4 games in, and just played against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Bad or not, they're the Leafs, and that carries a certain inherent pressure for North American kids breaking into the show.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Rschmitz

Yeah, he is definitely short for the positional game he plays. He'll have to post great numbers and make good on his chances to make it.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:47 PM
TBLHoser

Agree that his positioning and lateral movement need some work and find him a little stiff at times, not as fluid as I think he needs to be or IF he can be. His composure is great but I think he still needs another year (or two) in the AHL. I don't see a Tokarski/Garon combo next year.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Agree that his positioning and lateral movement need some work and find him a little stiff at times, not as fluid as I think he needs to be or IF he can be. His composure is great but I think he still needs another year (or two) in the AHL. I don't see a Tokarski/Garon combo next year.
I could. It's different if he makes the team out of camp.

I do think that Tokarski has shown he isn't exactly ready to set the world on fire, and that will necessitate SFY bringing in another NHL quality goalie during the offseason, either by trade or free agency.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I think he can but I can already see parts of him where he is still very raw and needs a lot of work on only a few things - namely his positioning, awareness, and lateral movement.
I agree. He's come a little too far out to square up to shooters at times leaving a cross ice pass as a sure thing with a wide open net. We were lucky in the Caps game that they couldn't connect and were a little snakebitten because there were a few opportunities where he was too far out to be effective for anything but the original shot.

But he's very fluid and moves well laterally which you can really tell when comparing him to Roloson. He still needs seasoning but I think he can be a good #1 in the future if he stays away from some of the bad habits.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
MattM92

Being those 2 or 3 inches taller lets you cover a larger portion of the net. Butterfly is all about the percentages, and he leaves too much of it open with his size. He may not seem to be far off the mark, but someone like Mike Richter was 5'11 and he didn't utilize butterfly at all. Look at Tim Thomas, last year he attacked the puck and was very unpredictable. This year I've noticed him trying to sit back in the butterfly a bit more (though I'm not a Bruins fan who watches every game) and he's not as dominant. Tim Thomas is also 5'11 btw. I hope I do end up being wrong about this, but I'm just not convinced he'll make it.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Bolt32

I think he will make it, though he is not ready yet. He will need another year in the AHL, perhaps two. Then a year or two as a backup before he is ready for the reigns. Its going to be a while. The short stint we seen him up here, Ive liked what Ive seen. Hes going to be a good netminder for us.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:35 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

His size won't be a problem. Johnathan Bernier is only 5'11 and Enroth is 5'10, they may be small but they have excellent positioning and reflexes. Tic so far has shown that he has both of those, but needs seasoning. I think he'll be solid for us in 2-3 years

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

but, but, but, if he displaced more air...

Old
03-17-2012, 06:36 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
I agree. He's come a little too far out to square up to shooters at times leaving a cross ice pass as a sure thing with a wide open net. We were lucky in the Caps game that they couldn't connect and were a little snakebitten because there were a few opportunities where he was too far out to be effective for anything but the original shot.

But he's very fluid and moves well laterally which you can really tell when comparing him to Roloson. He still needs seasoning but I think he can be a good #1 in the future if he stays away from some of the bad habits.
To clarify, too, when I say his lateral movement needs to improve its more of "he needs to decide the right time to move" rather than the actual movement. He looks to have trouble at times actually locating himself in the crease and finding where his posts are. It still feels like hes too aggressive to shooters directly in front of him, and not aggressive enough for pucks sitting a couple of feet or inches in front of him. Its crazy how patient he is, though. Kid doesn't really get rattled, he doesn't let too many people lure him out of position.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
DekeR

I may as well throw my 2 cents in as well. Now is not the time to continue with this evaluation/report card that seems to be going on with management and Tik. The D plays like a bunch of women down low and the rest of the team could give two hoots about playing a close defensive game. This type of high quality shots that will be given up can only hurt his confidence and judging by the last couple of games,6 goals on 20 shots+- kind of puts your goalie out to dry. Not a good thing for a unproven commodity.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote