HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-Sign Kuba

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2012, 07:55 AM
  #76
sensR4real
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
I think 2 year deal is best. He is a good veteran defenseman. For those who are soooo scared of him signing a 3 year, ask yourself this...Could you live with seeing Kuba-Karlsson for another 3 seasons? I sure can....Sign him Murray, sign him now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
1yr deal
Only reason is because him and king k have chemistry

sensR4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:03 AM
  #77
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,492
vCash: 1263
2yrs 6-7M and Im happy...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:14 AM
  #78
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensR4real View Post
I think 2 year deal is best. He is a good veteran defenseman. For those who are soooo scared of him signing a 3 year, ask yourself this...Could you live with seeing Kuba-Karlsson for another 3 seasons? I sure can....Sign him Murray, sign him now
Agreed!!!

People don't realize how good Kuba is or even Gonchar is. Gonchar has more points then Doughty or Lidstrom or Burns or Subban this year! 20th among defencemen and he is our 3rd best. He isn't amazing defensively but he is productive. He has only 2 less points then Duncan Keith.

Phillips has struggled at times but is playing well down the stretch and he is our 5th D-Man if Cowen plays well.

Kuba is signed to a 2 year deal or 3 years if we have to do it. The rebuild of the defence truly starts as Gonchar leaves after next season and Phillips either leaves or signs a far reduced slary one year deal to be the 6th/7th D-Man in 2 years. Kuba stays on as THE core veteran D-Man for 2 or 3 seasons as Cowen emerges to eventually be paired with Karlsson and we get either younger prospect D from the system or trade or UFA moving up to replace Gonchar and Phillips.

Core: Karlsson/Cowen/Kuba
D to replace: Gonchar in 2013, Phillips in 2014

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:34 AM
  #79
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post

People don't realize how good Kuba is or even Gonchar is. Gonchar has more points then Doughty or Lidstrom or Burns or Subban this year! 20th among defencemen and he is our 3rd best. He isn't amazing defensively but he is productive. He has only 2 less points then Duncan Keith.

Phillips has struggled at times but is playing well down the stretch and he is our 5th D-Man if Cowen plays well.

Kuba is signed to a 2 year deal or 3 years if we have to do it. The rebuild of the defence truly starts as Gonchar leaves after next season and Phillips either leaves or signs a far reduced slary one year deal to be the 6th/7th D-Man in 2 years. Kuba stays on as THE core veteran D-Man for 2 or 3 seasons as Cowen emerges to eventually be paired with Karlsson and we get either younger prospect D from the system or trade or UFA moving up to replace Gonchar and Phillips.

Core: Karlsson/Cowen/Kuba
D to replace: Gonchar in 2013, Phillips in 2014
I realize how important those players are, in fact, I would say Gonchar is likely the most underrated player on this team right now. However, these players aren't getting younger, and most players don't have nearly the success at 35+. It also helps Gonchar was on the top side of defenseman for awhile. Kuba is just a solid two way d-man. So was Jason Smith. Decline happens. You don't want to get into a longer term deal on that.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:43 AM
  #80
HappyDude
Classless
 
HappyDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
wtf^. You guys are so knee-jerk its hilarious. For the two previous years you couldn't get him off the team fast enough and now you want to give him a huge contract because he is having a decent year! I would be OK with resigning him for a year but I dont think its imperative.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:52 AM
  #81
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
DO NOT RESIGN unless he comes super cheap (as in pay cut) and on short term. Dude is playing for a contract. It is time to move on, thank him for the great year of service and not so much for the 2 crappy ones before this one.

Cowen should be ready for big-time duty next year, bring in Borocop and let Gonch earn some of that money in the last year of his deal with more duty.
Are we going to lacking money in the next two years? Does it matter if he gets 4M per year?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:06 AM
  #82
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I realize how important those players are, in fact, I would say Gonchar is likely the most underrated player on this team right now. However, these players aren't getting younger, and most players don't have nearly the success at 35+. It also helps Gonchar was on the top side of defenseman for awhile. Kuba is just a solid two way d-man. So was Jason Smith. Decline happens. You don't want to get into a longer term deal on that.
Jason Smith was slow and old when we got him. After the lockout when clutch and grab was not allowed he was not very effective. He is not comparable to Kuba whatsoever. And Smith was not a two way D-Man he was a defensive D-Man. They're styles are so different it is not a useful comparision. Kuba is far more cerebral as is Gonchar.

Kuba is coming off one of the best seasons of his career.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:09 AM
  #83
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
wtf^. You guys are so knee-jerk its hilarious. For the two previous years you couldn't get him off the team fast enough and now you want to give him a huge contract because he is having a decent year! I would be OK with resigning him for a year but I dont think its imperative.
It is pretty imperative. We are so lacking in a player like Kuba if we let him go and can't replace him. The drop off from Kuba to say Gilroy or Lee or Carkner Wiebernicki is MASSIVE.

He is second on ice time on the entire team. He would leave a massive void that can not be replaced internally. And it is wishes and rainbows to think we are going to sign Suter or Weber or someone like that.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:11 AM
  #84
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
IMO, our defense is already too old to risk signing Kuba long term. We need to sign somebody in his prime to fill out our long term defense corps and hedge against age-related decline.

Also, we don't have any bottom pairing D-men signed for next season, so there is room for them to earn jobs.
How much long term can you get when your 35 years old? 3 years? That's fine with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
maybe you're right that it was injuries, no one knows for sure except kuba. i hope the team doesn't take a chance to lock this guy up for multiple years. that would be a mistake.
What do you mean no one knows for sure? Where out of space the last two years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Kuba is 35 yrs old whose skill set is declining while Gilroy is 27 yrs old entering his prime. Kuba doesn`t have that many more points than Gilroy this yr & Gilroy won`t be replacing his spot with Karlsson. I expect that next yr Gilroy will feel more comfortable in Ottawa & increase his production from this yr. With Kuba`s age & skill set diminishing IMO it`s logical to replace him now & bad asset management to re-sign a depreciating asset.

Your are hoping for improvement from Gilroy which could happen but nothing is garantee.

How fast will Kuba's skill be diminishing? I think he will be good for another 3 years, his back though that I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
If the Sens can get him cheaper on a 3 year deal, I think that would be ideal. I used to think the guy was totally expendable but he's proving to be a valuable and useful player. I'd definitely consider him an important part of the team moving forward.
Why does it matter if he is signed to a cheap contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
1yr deal
Only reason is because him and king k have chemistry
If he has chemistry, why don't you want him a bit longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
2yrs 6-7M and Im happy...
He will get 10 offers from other teams that will beat that.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:30 AM
  #85
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 820
6 months ago when everyone wanted everyone traded and nobody thought Kuba will be back, well I still stand by my predixtino that Murray is going to re-sign him...

I don't have a problem with it so long as its 2 years MAX.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
  #86
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Jason Smith was slow and old when we got him. After the lockout when clutch and grab was not allowed he was not very effective. He is not comparable to Kuba whatsoever. And Smith was not a two way D-Man he was a defensive D-Man. They're styles are so different it is not a useful comparision. Kuba is far more cerebral as is Gonchar.

Kuba is coming off one of the best seasons of his career.
On pace for six goals, on a highly offensive team. I like Kuba, but he is nothing more than a solid vet d-man. Which is good to have, but will he be that when we are paying him 4 million at 38 years old? GM's will see his TOI numbers with decent, somewhat inflated point totals and I'd be surprised if we could get him at two years in UFA.

Jason Smith was a defensive stalwart and playoff warrior. Was never good on the skates, old age and injuries caught up to him. You're right that they aren't easily comparable, but at the time, Smith had a much better reputation than Kuba does now. This is a guy, people were begging to put on waivers for Rundblad months ago.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:17 AM
  #87
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
If we did sign him, what price and period? That seems to be the question here. He is one of the UFA vets that will be coveted. I wonder if two year would cut it? He'd want more. I wouldn't do three personally.

2 years 3.8M per? Low ball, but he did nothing for first two years here - injuries I get but last year was horrible for him (recovering?)

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:22 AM
  #88
Billy Madison*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
If we did sign him, what price and period? That seems to be the question here. He is one of the UFA vets that will be coveted. I wonder if two year would cut it? He'd want more. I wouldn't do three personally.

2 years 3.8M per? Low ball, but he did nothing for first two years here - injuries I get but last year was horrible for him (recovering?)
Just the best defenseman on the team his 1st two years and put up 70 points. Nothing at all.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:57 AM
  #89
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!
 
The Turret's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,974
vCash: 500
I think he'll stay another year if he gets to play with Erik and further boost his +/-

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:10 AM
  #90
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 500
Gonchar will be 39 after next season is over. I'm gonna guess he either retires or plays 1yr/2mil. Not too worried.

Kuba was injured for the 2 years he played like crap. I'd take a chance on him for another 2 years at 3mil per if he went for it. Then we'd have 2 stable veteran Dman, budding experienced young Dmen in Cowen and Karlsson. Then I'd like it if we signed a Dman in his prime and have 1 rookie rather than 2 rookies which is asking for a troubled year.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 12:27 PM
  #91
God Says No
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Just the best defenseman on the team his 1st two years and put up 70 points. Nothing at all.
while playing ****** defense. people have short memories here.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
  #92
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!
 
dennilfloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,946
vCash: 500
I'd be quite happy with two years at three/three and a half million per year. Chemistry between defensive partners has a price and Kuba completes Karlsson really well at the moment.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 12:32 PM
  #93
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
while playing ****** defense. people have short memories here.
Yeah, no.

Kuba's first season with the Sens

71GP 3G 37A 40PTS +4 23:16ATOI

He was the ONLY defenceman to have a positive +/- and had a clear lead in ATOI on the entire team. You have a very short memory if he don't think he had a great first season with Ottawa. His 2nd season wasn't as stellar but he really only struggled in the 2nd half of the season then only played 2 games after the Olympics due to injury. So all you can accuratley say is that Kuba was struggling for half a season and downright horrible last year. The other 2 and a half seasons, he has been very solid.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:05 PM
  #94
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,747
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Yeah, no.

Kuba's first season with the Sens

71GP 3G 37A 40PTS +4 23:16ATOI

He was the ONLY defenceman to have a positive +/- and had a clear lead in ATOI on the entire team. You have a very short memory if he don't think he had a great first season with Ottawa. His 2nd season wasn't as stellar but he really only struggled in the 2nd half of the season then only played 2 games after the Olympics due to injury. So all you can accuratley say is that Kuba was struggling for half a season and downright horrible last year. The other 2 and a half seasons, he has been very solid.
Contract year.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:12 PM
  #95
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Contract year.
Not really what I'm arguing against but I'll bite. You don't think his back injury and broken leg have more to do with his down year then it not being a contract year?

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:15 PM
  #96
armani
Guy Likes
 
armani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,254
vCash: 50
If nothing else, sign him for Karlsson. He is the perfect complement to Karlsson's run and gun style.

It helps that he has proven to be able to play at the highest level, as Kuba has arguably been the best defensive defenceman for the Sens this season.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:19 PM
  #97
Prattalot
Registered User
 
Prattalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
I'd like to sign him for 2 years...but if we let him go who do you think we'd get to replace him...and no it won't be suter / webber.

Prattalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:32 PM
  #98
Ralph Malfredsson
Megaloblastic maniac
 
Ralph Malfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
We should re-sign him. It will be pricey. Kuba is a commodity in the market this off-season.
2 years, $8M would be the hometown discount rate I think

Ralph Malfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:51 PM
  #99
pt_mck
Registered User
 
pt_mck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Contract year.
This theory holds no water. People have the memories of goldfish around here. His only off year was his injury year.

Kuba is a solid 2-way defenceman on a very reasonable contract.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
  #100
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,857
vCash: 500
Where were you guys last yr when most here wanted him run out of town? I don't remember very many, if any keep Kuba posts & wasn't Kuba & Gonchar both booed at the start of the yr? Re-signing Kuba IMO handcuffs the team from being able to make a deal for a defenceman next season with three aging veterans on defence with expensive contracts. I bet if we don't re-sign Kuba he may not even be in the NHL next yr.

IMO Cowen can pick up Kuba's minutes & be a great partner for Karlsson for yrs to come. He has shown great maturity over the yr & can only get better next season. He is just as big as Kuba & much tougher & will protect Karlsson something Kuba doesn't do.

Phillips & Gilroy make a nice second tandem & as Gilroy becomes more comfortable in Ottawa he has the potential entering into his prime to replace Kuba's pts next season. I imagine he will get plenty of 2nd unit PP time & with 18 pts this yr he should be able to improve on that next season.

That leaves Gonchar on the 3rd pairing with Boroweicki, if Murray doesn't sign a UFA defenceman. Bingo fans have said that Boroweicki is by far the best defenceman in Bingo & my guess is that Murray may reward him for his hard work. Of course, that being said Murray could also decide to go after a UFA defenceman that will improve our defence. Also if Murray re-signs Carkner he makes a good 7th defenceman. The Sens don't need Kuba next season & without him leaves room for a prospect or UFA or trade should a better defenceman become available.


Last edited by aragorn: 03-17-2012 at 02:36 PM.
aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.