HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Taylor Hall - 03/27/12 UPDATE Out For Rest Of Season With Labrum Surgery

Old
03-29-2012, 08:38 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
if taylor hall plays like that while he is injured then i am excited to see him 100% healthy....

also there is reports that hall injured the shoulder having to carry horcoof on his wing

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
YesYesYall

vCash: 500
So I guess he won't be participating in the Bio-Steel program with Gary Roberts. I wonder how much of a setback this will be in terms of being able to condition.

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Love the fact people are finding away to bash horcoff when talking about how and why hall got injured. There are some sad, sad people on this boards a lot of the time. If horcoff has a cap hit of 3mill he would be treated like a god and the perfect player for the time being

As for the media asking tough questions. Have you all noticed some long serving posters who we either know or suspect are involved with the local media have grandually gone MIA over the past few years? There is a blanket covering how the media treats and asks the team 24-7

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
So I guess he won't be participating in the Bio-Steel program with Gary Roberts. I wonder how much of a setback this will be in terms of being able to condition.
I wouldn't want him on a uber strict workout regimen this young anyway. I think a lot of players make that mistake. Also for hockey players being that versatility, movement, exacting fine motor control are essential keys (and much more so than most sports) that I question how much physical change fo the body impacts a players overall on ice efficacy.

You could look at Moreau, Horcoff, Cogs, Souray, as recent examples of the teams workout kings that beat all in a gym. How much has it really helped their game?

I worry sometimes what some of these extreme training camps actually do to a players game.

Players like Smyth, Hemsky, have never had a need for this stuff.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wouldn't want him on a uber strict workout regimen this young anyway. I think a lot of players make that mistake. Also for hockey players being that versatility, movement, exacting fine motor control are essential keys (and much more so than most sports) that I question how much physical change fo the body impacts a players overall on ice efficacy.

You could look at Moreau, Horcoff, Cogs, Souray, as recent examples of the teams workout kings that beat all in a gym. How much has it really helped their game?

I worry sometimes what some of these extreme training camps actually do to a players game.

I understood your reasoning until the last sentence. Hemsky is injured all the time and Smyth the past 3 years hasn't been able to keep up his level of play.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Sayuri

Quote:

Could be quite drastically for all we know? Perhaps the only reason they were able to keep up at all at the NHL level is because of being in peak physical condition.

Or it could very well have little affect, just saying there are two sides to every coin. I do agree that pushing it too hard at a young age is generally speaking a bad thing. Hall needs to do what is necessary to make his body as healthy as possible and then worry about putting on some pounds in the future. It might be more detrimental than anything if he tries to do too much this offseason.

Small adjustments in the way he plays are going to do far more for his longevity than any strict workout regimen.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Love the fact people are finding away to bash horcoff when talking about how and why hall got injured. There are some sad, sad people on this boards a lot of the time. If horcoff has a cap hit of 3mill he would be treated like a god and the perfect player for the time being

As for the media asking tough questions. Have you all noticed some long serving posters who we either know or suspect are involved with the local media have grandually gone MIA over the past few years? There is a blanket covering how the media treats and asks the team 24-7
Rishaug made it clear months ago, why ask tough questions when you know the answer. No one from the media expected the Oil to be good, so why would they ask questions that make is sound like this is a team that is underachieving?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Rishaug made it clear months ago, why ask tough questions when you know the answer. No one from the media expected the Oil to be good, so why would they ask questions that make is sound like this is a team that is underachieving?
The media who ask tough questions get shunned

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Will they put him on IR is the big question? Its the fantasy playoffs over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Psychoil

Quote:

Yeah, I mean it really ruined Stamkos's career. Kid was never the same after he took the biosteel program at the age of 19.

I'm not saying the biosteel program is the be all end all of off season training, but I am saying its one of the most popular programs out there, and its attracted players around Hall's age, it's pretty hard to argue against doing the workout

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:30 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
Yeah, I mean it really ruined Stamkos's career. Kid was never the same after he took the biosteel program at the age of 19.

I'm not saying the biosteel program is the be all end all of off season training, but I am saying its one of the most popular programs out there, and its attracted players around Hall's age, it's pretty hard to argue against doing the workout
Agreed. You cannot really compare typical workout hounds with what Gary Roberts has crafted with his system. His system is made for hockey players. It is not simply lifting weights in the gym.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

For those unfamiliar with the Oil Kings, Kings' forward Travis Ewanyk had shoulder surgery at the start of the season and he's just returned recently.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...023/story.html

I think that he's been back for 14 games now, including the playoffs.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
joestevens29

Bob Stauffer ‏ @Bob_Stauffer
Taylor Hall originally hurt his shoulder when he took a hit in a U-18 game against Finland

I didn't see this until today.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Taylor Hall originally hurt his shoulder when he took a hit in a U-18 game against Finland

Damn Finns!!!!!

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

our scouting staff are garbage to not have dug up this tidbit of info like 5 years ago

Old
03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
our scouting staff are garbage to not have dug up this tidbit of info like 5 years ago
Yeah Stu's an idiot.

Actually I blame the one Sutter that we have on our staff.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:26 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah Stu's an idiot.

Actually I blame the one Sutter that we have on our staff.
i bet the staff didnt even check hall's medical record as a kid, probably had chicken pox and mumps and the inept staff couldnt have dug up these simple yet catostrophic details?

stu should eat himself for this disgrace

Old
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i bet the staff didnt even check hall's medical record as a kid, probably had chicken pox and mumps and the inept staff couldnt have dug up these simple yet catostrophic details?

stu should eat himself for this disgrace
No man its Duane Sutter's fault!!!

Leave Stu alone!!

Old
03-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post

At 3 million a season he is vastly overpaid. As a captain he needs to step up. Have you seen him 'hug' anyone after one of our young guns gets run? How about throw an energized body check? How about just show some emotion? I honestly can't see the difference between Horc and Bellanger right now. He is a 2 million 3-4th line centre right now. I'd rather have our old Penner back.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

sutters a troll on the inside, sleeper cell trying to help calgary any way he can

Old
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
jsho

Quote:
Taylor Hall‏@hallsy04
Just landed in Cleveland, surgery tomorrow
Never saw an actual date for his surgery but there you go. Start your countdown timers tomorrow.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Anyone recall when Hemsky got his surgery?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Jooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Anyone recall when Hemsky got his surgery?
I believe he had it done last March. Couldn't really find a specific date.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...er-pn.cgi?2376

Cutting it close if you factor in six months of recover + six weeks of preparation afterwards. Looks like he could miss the first week or two of the season.

Though I wouldn't count him out to start the season, this is Taylor Hall after all. I would think he has more Drew Brees in him then he does Shawn Horcoff. Brees recovered from a torn labrum & torn rotator cuff in record speed when most Doctor's were questioning if he'd ever throw again. The rest was history after that.

Jooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I understood your reasoning until the last sentence. Hemsky is injured all the time and Smyth the past 3 years hasn't been able to keep up his level of play.
Haven't checked the thread lately and just wanted to respond to this comment.

Smyth for his age is in fine condition. It isn't the issue. This is a player thats taken the kind of game to game abuse that caused guys like Craig Simpson to retire at an early age. Smyth would have an incredible amount of bangs on his body and his bruised and contusions have bruises and contusions. He doesn't play the game like most and due to his office, his tendency to play in the paint, and not be at all adverse to playing in traffic it takes a gradual toll. Amazingly he's played every game this year. Freaking amazing.
Smyths skating efficiency(not very good) and style of play (frequent miles) and toi(including pk,) means he burns one hell of a lot of energy in a typical game/year. It isn't conditioning slowing him down I'd like to see a lot of other players walk a couple pro decades in his shoes.

Most guys would be retired by now considering the work he's put in. Its a testament to his endurance, stamina, perseverance, that he can even play at this level anymore through all the damage and injury he's endured.

Hemsky? You know my take there. Needs to learn to play it smart and survive out there.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Never saw an actual date for his surgery but there you go. Start your countdown timers tomorrow.
There was a slight communication error from the Oilers. Hall ended up in OKC while a slightly stunned Paijarvi had shoulder surgery.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote