HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

a face only a mother could love!

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2004, 05:57 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
a face only a mother could love!

http://www.londonracers.com/news/lon...ail.php?id=328

Old
11-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Synergy27

Is Dale on this team too?

I mean honestly, are they having open tryouts over there or what because I'm thinking about heading over and taking one of their jobs. Apparently they enjoy bad hockey in England.

Old
11-11-2004, 10:29 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27

I mean honestly, are they having open tryouts over there or what because I'm thinking about heading over and taking one of their jobs. Apparently they enjoy bad hockey in England.
?

Old
11-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

No Dale is not!
We had some early talks with him, but the insurance was an issue as far as I know.
Cairns just wanted to come here and would have played for free....

there are still other players interested in joining.....but frankly it is not easy given our budgetary restriction.

Besides we don't want to rely too much on the nHL guys given that we need a team
when and if the NHL will return.....

Old
11-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Davisian

Quote:

By all means, have at it..

Let us know how that works out.

Old
11-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
By all means, have at it..

Let us know how that works out.
I was hoping that most of us here would agree that Dale Purinton and Eric Cairns are the worst players in the NHL. I guess you guys dont share my opinion.

Last edited by Synergy27: 11-11-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old
11-11-2004, 02:08 PM
in the hall

Quote:
I was hoping that most of us here would agree that Dale Purinton and Eric Cairns are the worst players in the NHL. I guess you guys gont share my opinion.
I thought it was funny.

Old
11-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Davisian

Quote:
I was hoping that most of us here would agree that Dale Purinton and Eric Cairns are the worst players in the NHL. I guess you guys gont share my opinion.

I was hoping most would realize the talent needed to even get a sniff.

Old
11-11-2004, 02:22 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
I was hoping most would realize the talent needed to even get a sniff.
Dale Purrinton
Eric Cairns..

I think most of us have played with more talented players at sometime in our lives, even in rec leagues and I'm not being sarcastic.

Old
11-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
Dale Purrinton
Eric Cairns..

I think most of us have played with more talented players at sometime in our lives, even in rec leagues and I'm not being sarcastic.

Oh, I'm sure there's thousands of people who have more talent than them, but to use it, and to do what it takes mentally and physically to make the NHL is a talent in and of itself.

Both came to their first pro camps with zero chance of ever seeing an NHL game, both worked their ***** off to become regulars, albeit scratches on decent teams.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

I discussed a similar topic in the London Racers forum.

On a NHL squad there is no room for a talentless goon defenseman. Talentless goons simply dont last in the league. It is a completely different story for a forward hiding on the fourth line and getting in 2-3 shifts a game.

A Dman has to have skills and for both Purinton and Cairns it is far more difficult to break into the league than let's say Worrell. D'man get far more ice time and no coach will tag along a defensive liability no matter how good a goon the is.

For Cairns to last 8 years in the league is a major achievement....and he is likely to do another 5 years.

Yes there are possibly faster, more skilled hockey players in the English League than Eric Cairns but let me tell you that going along the boards as a forward your concetration on your
play will fade quickly knowing Eric Cairns is barrelling down on you.

Old
11-11-2004, 04:52 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

you seem to be proud that he is a London racer, may I ask . WHY?

Whats funny is in that link it makes him sound almighty which he is really not.

Old
11-11-2004, 04:55 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger
Yes there are possibly faster, more skilled hockey players in the English League than Eric Cairns but let me tell you that going along the boards as a forward your concetration on your
play will fade quickly knowing Eric Cairns is barrelling down on you.
UMMMM, im sure there are better and more skilled and faster hockey players on my UNION ice hockey team let alone probably on my roller hockey team also.

Old
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
riz

Look, no-one is saying Cairns is a world-beater or the best thing since sliced bread. There are not many times when you can see NHL players in smaller circles like the UK league. Let us be happy that we get to cheer for them here. If your pals are so much better, why aren't they locked out of their NHL teams now ?

Cairns is obviously filling a need in the NHL since he has been around for some time and will most likely still be around when the league resumes. It's not always a case of plain talent and skills, you just need to be best at what you do to secure a place in the roster. Here in the UK, the teams need some NHL names to draw more people to follow the game. Cairns wanted to come and play for his old pal and seems to fit in nicely. I don't see too big of a problem in that.

And hey...any hockey is better than no hockey. You need to appreciate the small things in order to enjoy life to its fullest.

Old
11-12-2004, 03:42 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

All right Riz - were you a philosophy major?

I take some exception to this:
UMMMM, im sure there are better and more skilled and faster hockey players on my UNION ice hockey team let alone probably on my roller hockey team also.
unquote

Talent and speed alone will not do diddly for you in the NHL, hell not even in the EIHL. We have couple of those fast and talented kids we are thinking of letting go.

I was possibly the least talented hockey player on any team I was on.
Being able to implement a game strategy as instructed by the coach, fill in a role selflessly, good work ethics are as important in more so to make at any level
whether hi school or pro.

The NHL waste land is littered with fast and talented players. Please tell me if you
need a memory refresher.

Noone is saying he is the in the same class as Blake or Chara. Eric is the first one to admit it. What I want to stress that he has not lasted in the league on being
just a goon, for reason explained above.

Yes we are thrilled to have Eric Cairns.
He genuinly enjoys being here and it shows on and off the ice. I couldnt stand having a guy here who makes us feel insignificant because of his NHL status.

Our budget is very tight - so tight in fact the guy has to room with another player. He does it with a smile. This rubs off on the rest of the team! Unassuming and certainly a stand out on the ice for us in a pro league equivalent to decent minor league level.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 11-12-2004 at 03:48 AM.
Old
11-12-2004, 04:01 AM
BLACKBURN

A lot of the opinions expressed are very immature and based on zero to no knowledge. Firstly the British elite league is comparable to the ECHL in skill level. If you guys and your friends are so good why are they not even playing at that level. Secondly London is a part of the Racers organization and you mocking the league and their player choices is an insult to him. As stated he has never said that Cairns is a great player, he has merely said that he is a good asset.

I am probably faster and have better hockey sense but I have not had a sniff at pro hockey. I dont like Cairns, mainly because he's a fishstick but that dosent mean he is'nt talented if he's in the NHL. Let a guy be happy for his team aquiring a player that would, in nromal circumstances be unatainable.

Old
11-12-2004, 06:18 AM
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I am probably faster and have better hockey sense but I have not had a sniff at pro hockey. I dont like Cairns, mainly because he's a fishstick but that dosent mean he is'nt talented if he's in the NHL. Let a guy be happy for his team aquiring a player that would, in nromal circumstances be unatainable.
He's not a fishstick anymore. He's signed with Florida since...

...but that won't stop us from chanting "You can't beat us !" a few times tonight

And hey, he was a Rangers pick and a Rangers prospect. Like so many others, he wasn't given a chance in NY and made it to the league elsewhere and made a career. And if a former Rangers pick is suiting up for my local UK team, I'm more than happy to give my full support for him.

Looking forward to tonight.

LET'S GO RACERS !!! clap-clap-clapclapclap

Old
11-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

that makes 2 of us!

Old
11-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Taz

^^^^^

Old
11-12-2004, 09:12 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
He's not a fishstick anymore. He's signed with Florida since...
Ok my hatred has declined but once a fishstick, always a fishstick

Old
11-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Fletch

Riz..

I liked Cairns as a Ranger, but in the end, the Rangers didn't want to pay him around $300K, and he walked. The guy worked real hard to get his skating to an NHL level, and was serviceable in his two Rangers seasons. Yeah, he wasn't the difference between a playoff team and the crappy team the Rangers was, but he was a tough defenseman in the mold of what this team has severely lacked the last several seasons.

Old
11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I liked Cairns as a Ranger, but in the end, the Rangers didn't want to pay him around $300K, and he walked. The guy worked real hard to get his skating to an NHL level, and was serviceable in his two Rangers seasons. Yeah, he wasn't the difference between a playoff team and the crappy team the Rangers was, but he was a tough defenseman in the mold of what this team has severely lacked the last several seasons.

it's funny that when he was a ranger he had the size and skill to be a great nhl fighter. but he got his a$$ handed to him a couple of times and that was it for cairns as a ranger, but he goes to the fishsticks and becomes, imo, one of the better fighters in the league. his defence was nothing great but his fighting was excellent. i have videos of him against some of the best "fighters" in the league and held his own very well i might add. even beating some. i liked him as a ranger but thought he had a glass jaw. i was wrong and he worked very hard to get where he is now. so props to him!

Old
11-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Fletch

For a third pair defenseman...

I thought his defense was very serviceable. He was steady. Cleared the front of his net. Wasn't the greatest skater, but he became pretty intelligent. Fighting was a plus for me, but mostly his penchant for sticking up for players. I don't care so much for goons, but guys (like a Barnaby) who will stick out his neck for teammates and is serviceable otherwise, I do like.

Old
11-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Taz

They Won 2-1 on OT im definately going again missed the first 5 mins due to getting a lil lost driving round london Cairns played good the refs were to keen!

Old
11-13-2004, 10:14 AM
riz

Yeah, a fun game even though it got a bit tight The right result though.

Whereabouts were you guys sitting ? We spend most of the time in Block 5 at the Racers attacking end but usually I follow the 2nd up in the bar. We had about 20 people from the office at the game and everyone was pleased to see the Racers and especially Cairns and Nichol. Good effort by both.

Closed Thread