HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Green's next contract

Old
03-17-2012, 06:16 PM
MGorgon

vCash: 500
Mike Green's next contract

With him having 2 injury plagued seasons that have hampered his statistics significantly, what do you guys think he'll get this offseason where he's an RFA?

He reminds me of Bryan McCabe, all offense/some defense, has the ability to log tons of minutes on a nightly basis. McCabe was certainly not the type who would take a discount, and I don't see Green as that person either. I think he'll ask for a 5+ year deal worth 6.5+, even though his past 2 seasons he's been worth nowhere near that much. McPhee is probably going to give it to him, which is fine, if he can get healthy and have a good offseason to train and get back into his old form, he's totally worth that contract. High risk/high reward type of player.

MGorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 06:59 PM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGorgon View Post
With him having 2 injury plagued seasons that have hampered his statistics significantly, what do you guys think he'll get this offseason where he's an RFA?

He reminds me of Bryan McCabe, all offense/some defense, has the ability to log tons of minutes on a nightly basis. McCabe was certainly not the type who would take a discount, and I don't see Green as that person either. I think he'll ask for a 5+ year deal worth 6.5+, even though his past 2 seasons he's been worth nowhere near that much. McPhee is probably going to give it to him, which is fine, if he can get healthy and have a good offseason to train and get back into his old form, he's totally worth that contract. High risk/high reward type of player.
I would love Green to get 6.5 a year for long term. It would give washington cap problems.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:33 PM
GoTeamDom

Markov contract. 3 years 5.75

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

1 yr 5 million.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Ballpark IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Carlzner

That's a really good question, and i really ****ing hope GMGM knows the answer.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

He'll probably sign a one year tender from the Caps worth 5M and hope to stay healthy next season to earn a big contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
I would love Green to get 6.5 a year for long term. It would give washington cap problems.
The Caps have 20.5M in projected cap space next year, and that's without the Cap increasing. It'll be over 23M when you factor in that Poti's career is over, so he'll be on LTIR. We're a long way from having cap problems.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Tyler Myers

5.75 markov is a few years ago... now the numbers have changed significantly... regardless of what others say mike green is still one if not the best PMD out there.

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:40 AM
wickedwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Myers View Post
5.75 markov is a few years ago... now the numbers have changed significantly... .
That deal was signed last year.

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

I would imagine he gets something around 6mil
Not sure what tem he would want, but likely something between 2 and 4

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:28 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGorgon View Post

green isnt nearly risky as mccabe, except the injuries

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:37 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Myers View Post
5.75 markov is a few years ago... now the numbers have changed significantly... regardless of what others say mike green is still one if not the best PMD out there.
When he plays sure. The guy has turned to glass the past couple of seasons. I wouldn't sign the guy to more than a 2 year deal.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Ralph Malfredsson
Megaloblastic maniac

Not sure it would be in the Caps interest to sign him for one year as that would put him at UFA I think (age 27). Even with his recent injuries, I would think they would be interested in eating up at least a couple of UFA years on this contract. 3 years/$20 M would be my best guess at what interests both parties, perhaps a longer term if the Caps were more confident in his health.

Ralph Malfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
1 yr 5 million.
I'd agree with that.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:33 PM
AmericanRocket91

10 years at 10 million.....jk

If the Caps are smart they'll give him a one year 6 million to prove himself. If he has a productive, healthy year then sign him to a long term deal.

AmericanRocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Malfredsson View Post
Not sure it would be in the Caps interest to sign him for one year as that would put him at UFA I think (age 27). Even with his recent injuries, I would think they would be interested in eating up at least a couple of UFA years on this contract. 3 years/$20 M would be my best guess at what interests both parties, perhaps a longer term if the Caps were more confident in his health.
They might end up with a Markov-type situation and with Ovy and Backstrom taking up a lot of the cap space they have no room to spare.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:32 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
They might end up with a Markov-type situation and with Ovy and Backstrom taking up a lot of the cap space they have no room to spare.
The Caps have about 20 million in cap space this summer, and if guys like Semin are coming back, it's certainly not at 6.7m again. That, I believe, is without adding the raise in the salary cap, I don't think it's really going to be an issue. If there's one thing that you can say about George McPhee it's that even if he picks some dumb ways to spend his money (Joel Ward), he never seems to get handcuffed and screwed by the cap.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Medium Rare*

i could see Green accepting his qualifying offer and trying to cash in as a UFA next summer

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:58 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
He'll probably sign a one year tender from the Caps worth 5M and hope to stay healthy next season to earn a big contract.

The Caps have 20.5M in projected cap space next year, and that's without the Cap increasing. It'll be over 23M when you factor in that Poti's career is over, so he'll be on LTIR. We're a long way from having cap problems.
You guys have to also resign John Carlson, and maybe Alexander Semin and Dennis Wideman. The CBA will probably lower the cap to around 60. You need to sign a goalie or go with two unexperienced goalies, which is not good. See Toronto.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
You guys have to also resign John Carlson, and maybe Alexander Semin and Dennis Wideman. The CBA will probably lower the cap to around 60. You need to sign a goalie or go with two unexperienced goalies, which is not good. See Toronto.
The cap wouldn't go into effect until about October.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Foy

Quote:
They were ready to go with 2 inexperienced goalies last off-season before Vokoun fell into their laps. The difference now is that each goalie has another year of experience.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Carlson's next contract will only be his 2nd. He's also regressed this year. He'll probably be given the same cheap contract as Alzner, since there's no real threat of an offer sheet to drive up the price.

The Caps would be perfectly happy to go with Neuvy and Holtby. It wouldn't be the first time they had the youngest goalie tandem in the league.

Wideman's not coming back. There's absolutely no need for him when we have Green, Carlson, and Orlov, especially not at the 5+M he can expect on the open market.

As for the cap going down, that wouldn't really be a problem for us. It might, however, for the Pens, who IIRC have about 58M already tied up in 18 contracts next season.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Don't know if they would give him 3, when does he become a UFA?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
sounds about right to me...

alpine4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

How many RFA years does he have left? If its 2 or more, then a 1 year deal is the best option for both sides.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote