HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Green's next contract

Old
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Don't know if they would give him 3, when does he become a UFA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
How many RFA years does he have left? If its 2 or more, then a 1 year deal is the best option for both sides.
It's my understanding he'd be a UFA next summer.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
It's my understanding he'd be a UFA next summer.
That's a tough one then. It'll be on Washington to decide whether they want to take a risk on him regaining form and giving him a long term contract. 2 years, 10M might be a good middle ground for both sides.

Do Washington fans think Green could be moved this summer, if McPhee wants to make a conscious effort to go with this more defensive system?

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
That's a tough one then. It'll be on Washington to decide whether they want to take a risk on him regaining form and giving him a long term contract. 2 years, 10M might be a good middle ground for both sides.

Do Washington fans think Green could be moved this summer, if McPhee wants to make a conscious effort to go with this more defensive system?
There's no real reason to move him now while his value is low. He's still very capable in his own end when he's healthy (I'd say he's second only to Alzner in that regard). Signing him to a 5-6M deal still leaves us with 14-15M in cap space, so there's no financial motive. Really, if McPhee wanted to concentrate on defense this summer, he could very easily sign Suter and still have room to resign Green and Semin, especially if he gets rid of some dead weight (Poti, Ward, Hamrlik, Schultz, and Erskine are all bottom line players when they're not in the press box, and make up a total of about 13.5M in cap space). I suppose Green could be moved to send the team a message if the right deal was offered, but I highly doubt he'd be shopped.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:32 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Probably something around his current rate of 5.25M to 6M over a few years. His injury troubles have hurt his value, but the fact remains he is a capable #1 defenseman who had developed into a sound 2way defenseman (prior to his injury troubles) and had established himself as the best PPQB post-lockout to date.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm guessing he'll sign his QO, which would be 1 year, $5.25M.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Koto

Quote:
He'll probably sign a one year tender from the Caps worth 5M and hope to stay healthy next season to earn a big contract.
if im green im not keen on a 1 yr deal, and if thats all they offer me, im sure i can find a team willing to give me a decent 3 year OS.

has the team used their arbitration elective yet? if not thats probably what will happen...

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
if im green im not keen on a 1 yr deal, and if thats all they offer me, im sure i can find a team willing to give me a decent 3 year OS.

has the team used their arbitration elective yet? if not thats probably what will happen...
He's an RFA in a league that doesn't use offer sheets. He has no leverage besides arbitration, which he wouldn't do well in considering his injuries. A one year deal gives him a chance to prove his injuries are behind him and to cash in for real next season. The only reason for him to ask for a multi year contract now, with his value at a career low, is if he seriously thinks his career is in jeopardy.

Old
03-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Koto

Quote:
He's an RFA in a league that doesn't use offer sheets. He has no leverage besides arbitration, which he wouldn't do well in considering his injuries. A one year deal gives him a chance to prove his injuries are behind him and to cash in for real next season. The only reason for him to ask for a multi year contract now, with his value at a career low, is if he seriously thinks his career is in jeopardy.
stonewalling him on just his QO is exactly the type of circumstance that will cause him to actively search for an OS. just because they arent signed very often, doesn't mean teams arent offering them, and if all they offer is QO, then the OS will be better by a very significant margin.

and yeah obviously he wouldn't want arbitration, but the team might.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
stonewalling him on just his QO is exactly the type of circumstance that will cause him to actively search for an OS. just because they arent signed very often, doesn't mean teams arent offering them, and if all they offer is QO, then the OS will be better by a very significant margin.

and yeah obviously he wouldn't want arbitration, but the team might.
his QO is $5.25m. I doubt a player that hasn't scored a goal since October does much better than that.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Robert Theodorson

That's a pretty insane qualifying offer number.

I really don't think he's worth over 5, he is always injury riddled nowadays, and his offensive game has declined.

There's some team out there with a real good stay at home d man who would probably trade said player for Mike Green.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote