HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Forward Help Needed

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2004, 12:38 PM
MaDdEn

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MaDdEn
Forward Help Needed

Hey, is there any one who can help me with Forward position techniques?

I play the game well... i score in a game, but i dont feel its my best...

I hit in a game, i skate fast, but i dont feel i done my best, whenever a goal goes in from the opponents, i feel i didnt help the team,

Why do i feel that?

Old
11-19-2004, 01:57 PM
glimradnor

Are you a centre or a wing?
Also, do you notice that the other team is scoring most often in a certain way (such as someone not being covered in front of the net or the defenseman having too much time/space)?

Last edited by glimradnor: 11-19-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old
11-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Youreallygotme

I can give you this tip: Dont try to do everybody elses job. Cover whatever guy is open and is in the most logical spot. Say youre a right winger you dont go running around in the left wingers spots and everything, just stay from the middle of the ice to the boards on your side, and stay on the defensive side of the zone. In other words, dont be caught up on the boards, the other teams guys need to get to the net to score, so if the puck is on the boards stay closer to your goal then the offensive guy youre defending. Then if he tries to go around you, look at his eyes and not the puck. You'll have no trouble unless he's a 240 pound monster.

Old
11-19-2004, 11:16 PM
glimradnor

Yeah, that's a good basic tip. Just pay attention to where you are supposed to be. If two people are tryin to do the same thing, that means the other team has a hole they can go through.

It may vary a bit depending on your team strategy, but basic denfensive zone position are for the wingers to play a bit high and cover the points. try and make sure you are between the other team's defenseman and your net. Pressure him when he gets the puck. The denfenseman should not be allowed to hold it for even a few seconds. You might be able to take the puck a away and make a break for it or at least pressure him into making a bad pass. Also, since you are high in your zone, you are ready to attack if there is a turnover.

The centreman usually helps out in the middle, around the hashmarks. He picks up the late man coming in or clears out unmarked opposition players in front of the net.

Old
11-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdEn
Hey, is there any one who can help me with Forward position techniques?

I play the game well... i score in a game, but i dont feel its my best...

I hit in a game, i skate fast, but i dont feel i done my best, whenever a goal goes in from the opponents, i feel i didnt help the team,

Why do i feel that?
Good backchecking is extremely important when you're a forward and it's the best way to impress your coach.

Old
11-21-2004, 08:55 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Don't be too hard on yourself when the other teams scores. If you think the goal was your fault than learn from your mistake and try to prevent it from happening again. Other times your team will get scored on and there is nothing you could have done about it. When my team gets scored on I try and motivate and encourage my teammates to play better.

Just a small strategy for you. If you are one of the stronger skaters on your team than you should try and find out who the best scorer on the other team is and play on his side of the ice. Check him tight, finish all your checks (throw a lot of bodychecks) and refuse to let him control the puck. Do your best not to get penalized and try to make him lose his temper and take penalties.

Get creative in terms of agitation. Some guys you have to speak to, others simply get angry when they find out your mission is to stop them. Play within the rules.

If you try this out it could really help your team by getting powerplays and by taking a good opponent off his game. It helps both offensivly and defensivly. I know it doesn't sound very fair but it works. Oh yes, it is also important to let your coach know of your intentions as some coaches do not believe in this type of hockey. If you try to shut down a player without letting the coach know, you might not be on the ice at the sametime as your counterpart.

Good luck and have fun.

Closed Thread