HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the coyotes trade for a center in the offseason?

Old
03-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

vCash: 500
Should the coyotes trade for a center in the offseason?

1. its a big stretch but lets assume the ownership situation is resolved and the team is staying.

2. let's assume with this news Doan and Whitney resign and that we resign chip and brule to reasonable contracts and let pyatt go.

we have three centers in hanzal, vermette and gordon under contract with chip able to fill in too but no first line center

even with aucoin and rozsival as ufas we will have nine defensemen that could be in our top seven.

for lines we have

korpi-center-doan
whitney-hanzal-vrbata
boedker-vermette-brule
torres-gordon-chip

for defense we have yandle, klesla,oel, morris, schlemko, summers, stone, rundblad, and
gormley

there are no solid ufa centers from what I can tell amd I dont feel miele or vermette is the answer.

Last edited by Redcoyote: 03-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yes. Langkow probably won't/shouldn't be back. We COULD use Brule or Chipchura at center, but we probably shouldn't if we can help it.

03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

I would only trade for a 60 point guy. We have enough 30 point guys and enough 2nd and 3rd line centers in the organization. Perhaps Miele can fill the bill.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
AZcoyotes33

Absolutely. With all of the NHL-ready Dmen we will have we will be forced to move one or 2 of them. I think we let Rozy go but bring back Aucoin. One of either Stone or Summers will most likely be part of a deal and it definitely should be for a big time center

AZcoyotes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I would only trade for a 60 point guy. We have enough 30 point guys and enough 2nd and 3rd line centers in the organization. Perhaps Miele can fill the bill.
If Andy Miele scores 60 points in the NHL next year, I will buy you a steak dinner at the reasonably-priced family casual chain restaurant of your choice.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
I agree. If we aren't going to get a legit top guy, we might as well roll with a cheap FA or let Brule play there. One thing I think we can be pretty sure about is IF we get any owner, they will try to make a big splash.

Guys like Chip are a dime a dozen. I'd rather we signed Winnik back to play on the 4th line and log a bunch of PK minutes. I think Torres/Gordon/Winnik would be very solid.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
If Andy Miele scores 60 points in the NHL next year, I will buy you a steak dinner at the reasonably-priced family casual chain restaurant of your choice.
If he scores 60 points next season, Miele can take us both out for steak

He may just have the skills to do it if he has a big wing and a speed wing on his line. Mueller took the league by storm, why not Miele?

Old
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
hbk

I don't see us going after Olli Jokinen again that's for sure.

Vermette is a skilled player who's still trying to find his niche. He's the replacement for Langkow on our top 2 lines.

Langkow looked really good early on and has been strong lately. His days as a $4 million hockey player are over. If he can be re-signed at or around the $1.5 million level then I suspect he may be back.

Chipchura is a Tippett favorite. He'll be back. He offers us the size that is especially handy when players like Hanzel go down to injury. If he had hands we'd be drooling over this kid. He's been a bargain basement find for this club and has largely replaced what I think has been missing since Winnik was dealt.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't believe I'd trade any of the young D. I'd do what I could to find Morris a new team. I'd let Rozy and Aucoin ride off into the sunset. Gormley can ear stripes in the AHL.

Blueline would be quite young but would have a whole lot of pro experience.

Some combination or the seven of Yandle, OEL, Klesla, Schlemko, Summers, Stone and Rundblad works for me.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I don't see us going after Olli Jokinen again that's for sure.
Why didn't Ollie work out for us? Locker room problems? I mean, just the look of his shaved head on the big screen was enough to scare the crap out of opposing players. He looked like a character out of Hell Rider.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

my first choice would be eric staal. id give up yandle, 1st and another player for him, maybe boedker.id be willing to overpay considering how difficult it is to find a solid center.

if there was any way to pry tavares from nyi id do it too.

korpi-staal-doan
whitney-hanzal-vrbata
lw-vermette-brule
chip-gordon-torres

oel-klesla
summers-morris
schlemko-gormley
stone, rundblad

Old
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Why didn't Ollie work out for us? Locker room problems? I mean, just the look of his shaved head on the big screen was enough to scare the crap out of opposing players. He looked like a character out of Hell Rider.
He always looked uninterested to me. I don't think he wanted to be here. Just the perception I got from watching him.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
PhoPhan

I'd rather go after a wing. Hanzal/Vermette/Gordon/Chipchura is a fine center corps. Hanzal and Vermette are both capable of 40 or 50 points, Gordon can probably hit 40 but should be good for 30 or so, and all four of them are reliable defensively and good at faceoffs. A new center will either be average or below average at defense and faceoffs (in which case his playing time will suffer under Tippett), or he won't (in which case he'll be too expensive to acquire).

A wing with the same offensive expectations wouldn't need to be nearly as defensively reliable or have any faceoff skills, and so he'd likely be a lot cheaper. If they're looking for a 60-point center who can fit under Tippett, we're talking Mike Ribeiro or Dave Krejci. That's expensive. For a scoring wing, though, someone of the same ilk as Whitney or Vrbata would be more than sufficient. Could you imagine another one of those guys (someone like, say, Teddy Purcell, Mike Ryder or Martin Erat) on this team?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'm not sure 60pt types are available, unfortunately.

Maybe just gamble on a guy making a comeback. Maybe another off season for Lombardi, followed by a return to the valley could return him to form? We could acquire him for nothing at all.

Jarret Still is having a horrendous season and may do well with q change of scenery. A one year deal would be in his best interest as a UFA with a consistent past and a desperate need of a contract year redo.

Both would be gambles and both are having tough years. Neither would cost anything to acquire and both have been 40-50 point centers in the recent past.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm not sure 60pt types are available, unfortunately.

Maybe just gamble on a guy making a comeback. Maybe another off season for Lombardi, followed by a return to the valley could return him to form? We could acquire him for nothing at all.

Jarret Still is having a horrendous season and may do well with q change of scenery. A one year deal would be in his best interest as a UFA with a consistent past and a desperate need of a contract year redo.

Both would be gambles and both are having tough years. Neither would cost anything to acquire and both have been 40-50 point centers in the recent past.
If we're relying on a bounceback, Vermette is as good a candidate as any.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

no did disrespect but id love to see doan play with a first line center. reinprecht and a young mueller (who played better on the wing) were the best hes played with in awhile. for whatever reason jokinen didnt fit

comrie?
reinprecht
niko kapenen
joel perrault
yanic perrault (cant remember which is spelled which way)
mueller
jokinen
lang
belanger
gordon
langkow (past his prime)
vermette

etc. its a sad list

Old
03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
If we're relying on a bounceback, Vermette is as good a candidate as any.
exactly I say go big or stay the course with what we have. weve got third line centers already. though i wouldnt mind putting vermette on the first line if we got lombardi back and put him with boedker and brule.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:39 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
no did disrespect but id love to see doan play with a first line center. reinprecht and a young mueller (who played better on the wing) were the best hes played with in awhile. for whatever reason jokinen didnt fit

comrie? HE RETIRED
reinprecht
niko kapenen
joel perrault
yanic perrault (cant remember which is spelled which way)
mueller
jokinen
lang
belanger
gordon
langkow (past his prime)
vermette

etc. its a sad list
Comrie is out of the picture

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Comrie is out of the picture
it wasnt a list of available centers but of the centers doan has been forced to play with over the last five years or so

Old
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
If he can be re-signed at or around the $1.5 million level then I suspect he may be back.
Agreed - if you're not bang on regarding the $$ you're awful close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'd rather go after a wing. Hanzal/Vermette/Gordon/Chipchura is a fine center corps. Hanzal and Vermette are both capable of 40 or 50 points, Gordon can probably hit 40 but should be good for 30 or so, and all four of them are reliable defensively and good at faceoffs. A new center will either be average or below average at defense and faceoffs (in which case his playing time will suffer under Tippett), or he won't (in which case he'll be too expensive to acquire).

A wing with the same offensive expectations wouldn't need to be nearly as defensively reliable or have any faceoff skills, and so he'd likely be a lot cheaper. If they're looking for a 60-point center who can fit under Tippett, we're talking Mike Ribeiro or Dave Krejci. That's expensive. For a scoring wing, though, someone of the same ilk as Whitney or Vrbata would be more than sufficient. Could you imagine another one of those guys (someone like, say, Teddy Purcell, Mike Ryder or Martin Erat) on this team?
It would be nice for the Don to strike lightning again with a quality signing similar to Whitney but that's a tall order.

Your rationale is probably sound re: the necessary price to acquire a scoring winger. Are there any GM's out there in need of some flexibility that need to move a wing?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
knowsthegame

From what I have seen from Vermette so far, I would trade him and his 4 million contract.
Penalties every game, 3 points in 12 or 13 games. Not impressed at all. Bad decisions with the puck.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I've been quite happy with Vermette.

Old
03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
XX
Lots of Try

I'd try and sign Penner and Gaustad or Stoll, re-sign Whitney to give us lines like:

Whitney - Hanzal - Vrbata
Penner - Vermette - Boedker
Torres - Gaustad/Stoll - Doan
Korp - Gordon - Brule

Anything to get Boedker out of the bottom 6. Also, that would probably be the #1 team in the league on faceoffs if you had Stoll in there. Edit: Gaustad isn't bad either, with 57%

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:33 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
it wasnt a list of available centers but of the centers doan has been forced to play with over the last five years or so
My bad. Ur right!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
SweYote

If a star center is available then yes, depending on the price of course. But not just another depth center.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote