Notices

Jets debate crowd behaviour

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2012, 10:19 PM
YearsintheWilderness

vCash: 500

The insane energy of Jets fans at the MTS Centre has been one of the great stories of this season.

But the incredibly benign "Crosby's Better" chant has offended Tanner Glass's tender sensibilities:

Forward Tanner Glass wasn’t thrilled when fans chanted “Crosby’s Better” during Friday's game against the Washington Capital when Capitals' forward Alex Ovechkin hit the ice.

“I don’t like that stuff. I don’t have time for that,” Glass said Saturday after the Jets practised. “Cheer for a guy or even against him but, I don’t know, I think that’s a bit much. … I wouldn’t be chanting it.”

What would Glass have done if he had been in Madison Square Garden when Ranger fans used to chant "buy a Porsche" when Hextall played for the Flyers?

Would Glass have curled up in a fetal position in the corner and started convulsing?

Keep it up Jets fans!

Old
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
sixty minute hockey

He's just jelly that someone else is getting all the attention now that there is no more GST chants going on . JK JK

Old
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
jetsfan85*

Tanner Glass might want to check out his own playing, how about DO SOMETHIN'

just keeping it real.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

He's just saying he wouldn't do it. I dunno. I thought it was funny, but if it didn't have humour value, I'd probably be annoyed by it.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:19 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

having grown up chanting beat your wife potvin, beat your wife, this is ridiculous.

You pay the $$ you boys have fun.

Cheers.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:23 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
Tanner's coach seemed to be okay with the Chant.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
I think Tanner needs to lighten up but he's entitled to his opinion. Not like we're chanting something like Beat your wife Potvin or Crackhead Theo like Rangers/Islanders fans have, for example.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
JSR84
Displaced Jets fan.

He's entitled to his opinion, but I'm not sure what he expects to gain by calling out the crowed that's been so good to him...

Old
03-17-2012, 11:49 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Tanner needs to understand fans in 28 other NHL cities loved it, as the weakest link on the GST line he should keep his opinion to himself, pretty sure Cormier or anyone else could easily fill his roster spot and might have a bit more offensive skill and the ability to actually clear the puck out of the defensive zone on the PK.

PS A couple seasons in the rain in Vancouver turned him into a real sour puss.

Last edited by sipowicz: 03-17-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old
03-18-2012, 12:34 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Glass is entitled to his opinion, but it's not one I share on this matter. There are obviously chants that would be considered crossing the line and the MTS Centre crowds may cross that line at some point (most fan bases do occasionally - ie. MSG fans cheering when Crosby injured his knee in 2009), but I don't think this was it. It would have been classless if we had chanted things related to a players' personal life, "concussion" at Crosby, "Quebec Nordiques" at the Coyotes, etc.

At the same time, I like the fact that Glass was willing to speak his mind and share his opinion, fully aware that it wasn't going to be a popular opinion that most people would agree with. I respect the fact that he didn't tow the line and was instead honest about his opinion.

Old
03-18-2012, 12:47 AM
angrymnky

Some people love that kind of stuff, some people don't. I don't know what the point is of getting annoyed with people that respectfully disagree with you. Especially when they play on the team that you know, is kinda the whole reason you're there chanting whatever the hell you want.

Old
03-18-2012, 12:48 AM
fatschoonerrat

The full quote shows a bit more nuance.

Glass said it’s up to fans to decide what to do. “You can say it if you want. I’m not going to condemn it, but it’s not something I would be saying,” he added.

He's a smart guy. I like that he's willing to speak his mind.

I think it was a funny chant and spontaneous. Good but not great. But why so much analysis of a chant?

It's been fun to watch my old Thrashers play in Winnipeg. I've been watching the games on TV from Chicago the past couple seasons. What a thrill to see my favorite team play in front of such an emotional crowd -- even from the couch. You guys are great.

Old
03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Basically agree with each of these last 3 posts. Glass is certainly entitled to his opinion, he doesn't have to feed into the echo chamber.

Not sure it's really worth trying to pontificate on crowd etiquette. You make think certain chants are lame and embarrassing, you make think they're awesome and add to the atmosphere, or anywhere in between. It's a matter of personal values and taste. As long as it doesn't cross the line into offensive or abusive language, I don't think it's really worth fretting about.

Anyway, there's one heck of a playoff race brewing in the Eastern Conference, in case the G&M forgot. Why are they wasting newsprint on useless fluff questions like "jeez Tanner, whaddaya think about that chant last night?".

Old
03-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

I'm really not so sure why Tanner Glass would say this. I understand he's entitled to his opinion, but if I was him and I felt this way, I would have just kept my mouth shut.

Old
03-18-2012, 03:03 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Yeah...I dunno. Part of me respects the fact that he speaks his mind. That's super cool. But it's his fans that he's calling out, so another part of me is saying...

"get ****ed glass"

Old
03-18-2012, 07:53 AM
gholas

I like that he speaks his mind, and knew he would ruffle some delicate feathers of some mob mentality fans. Keep up the good work on and off the ice Glass, refreshing. Now go punch someone out in the Hurricanes game. ;p

Old
03-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Captain Willard

Motivation?

I kinda get the feeling that Glass and his teammates must be a little concerned that if this 'Crosby's Better' chant gets any more attention that it will be all the motivation Washington needs to beat Winnipeg this week. I'm sure that the Jets loved it at the time but I think they're getting a little bit anxious now that the story has gotten some legs and they all know what a weapon Ovie can be when motivated, that and the Clitsome hit definitely HAS to have Alex ready to eat lightning and crap thunder. It's going to be an even more tense game when they meet again and I think Glass doesn't want to hear anymore about the chant, great as it was. I think it's a good thing that Glass is willing to take the criticism for saying it, shows his dedication to the drive for a berth.

Last edited by Captain Willard: 03-18-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: misphrase
Old
03-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Crazed Fan

chant is fine. his opinion is fine.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
This thread has taken a bit of a strange turn in some spots.

A reporter asked Glass his opinion and he gave an honest answer. He wasn't "calling out the crowd" or complaining about the fans, he just stated that it was something he personally wouldn't have said himself. He wasn't speaking ill of any of you, this doesn't make him either a bad teammate or a bad player. He simply offered an honest answer - which is refreshing in these days of cookie cutter quotes from athletes.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:12 AM
razorsedge

The homer on the local sports radio station (Edmonton) had a beef with the "silver medal" chant at Miller. Because Winnipeg didn't an NHL team during the Olympics they have no right to do such a chant.

Look forward to what they have to say tomorrow morning about this one.

Maybe Glass is just worried OV will be extra motivated next fame because of it, lol.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
RonJon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

A reporter asked Glass his opinion and he gave an honest answer. He wasn't "calling out the crowd" or complaining about the fans, he just stated that it was something he personally wouldn't have said himself. He wasn't speaking ill of any of you, this doesn't make him either a bad teammate or a bad player. He simply offered an honest answer - which is refreshing in these days of cookie cutter quotes from athletes.

People are getting a little too sensitive. I love 90% of the chants at the games and join in but there are some that I don't like and choose not to participate in. Makes me no less of a passionate fan.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Crazed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
The homer on the local sports radio station (Edmonton) had a beef with the "silver medal" chant at Miller. Because Winnipeg didn't an NHL team during the Olympics they have no right to do such a chant.
We dont have an NHL team so I guess we're not Canadian... lol

Gump, you're right too, I personally dont participate in the negative chants when I am at a game. I just dont think it does anything more than pump our opponent.
That Philly game was case and point. "Flyers suck! Flyers suck!" Well now they have just scored with 9 seconds left in the third and stole the game in OT....
"Leafs Suck" is always appropiate, but imo, egging on the opponent just makes it harder for the Jets.

The only chant I condemn is "Na Na Na Na", yuck.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:29 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
This is really a non issue IMO hes basically just saying its not something he would do

Old
03-18-2012, 09:31 AM
jetsfan85*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Well no offense but im being honest too. Glass DO SOMETHIN'. I dont know many fans off a message board that is very biased toward there team. Lots of ppl you talk to dont think glass is doing to much on the ice and I dont think we would be crying if he left, he is showing that he is replaceable.

Chant or no chant, Glass needs to start learnign how to play. Canucks didn't want him because he couldnt find back of the net if he tried last season. Glass is the weak link on line of gst. Lets not sugar coat

Old
03-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
chant is fine. his opinion is fine.
This.

Closed Thread