HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

anybody hearing anything about some Pack games at MSG

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
anybody hearing anything about some Pack games at MSG

I remember reading here somewhere thatthey were considering moving some Pack games to MSG which would be a great idea to help NYC fans to get to see some live hockey.

Also read on HF that the Isles were thinking of doing the same for the Bridgeport-Pack game being moved to Nassau.

Has anybody heard anything on the issue since then?

Thanks

Old
11-17-2004, 10:09 AM
NYR469

there was talk of the nov 26th game against bridgeport being moved to long island, but i've heard nothing offical so it doesn't seem likely...

at the fan forum, maloney was asked and he basically said they were looking into it...so it is a possibility but right now nothing is planned.

Old
11-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's probably cheaper to keep the Garden dark. Either they charge NHL prices and no one comes or they drop prices to AHL levels and lose a bunch of money because it's not enough to cover the cost of running the Garden.

Plus, I doubt it makes sense to lay down ice for one event.

Old
11-17-2004, 04:03 PM
ILuvHockey

Send a message via AIM to ILuvHockey
They have the knicks at the garden. I doubt they'll lose money for that one game if they charge AHL prices.

Old
11-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvHockey
They have the knicks at the garden. I doubt they'll lose money for that one game if they charge AHL prices.
What do you mean they won't lose money if they charge AHL prices? They have to pay the people who work at the garden (security, people to run the concession stands, ticket takers), all of whom are paid by the event. They have to pay to have the arena set up for hockey, they have to lay down a sheet of ice. They will have to change the schedule up in Hartford and give refunds for the tickets that have already been bought for that game (and probably piss off the season ticket holders there).

This is not a pick-up game we're talking about here. It would take a lot of time and money to put it together and about the only thing they will get out of it is some good will. Now, as someone who would probably go (only because I have two nieces asking me weekly when the season is going to get started, not for myself), I would be happy if they did do it, but given the costs, I ain't holding my breath.

Old
11-17-2004, 06:28 PM
NYR469

cablevision owns the hartford civic center too though...so how much more would it cost them to hold a game at msg then the civic center?? and at msg they would probably draw 18,000 fans compared to 3,000 in hartford...so the trade-off might not be that bad...

but i don't think they would do something like that looking to make a big profit that night, it would be to hopefully gain profits down the road post lockout...you take a hit for those 1 or 2 nights in the hopes that you keep the fans in ny interested and excited about the kids for when the lockout ends

Old
11-17-2004, 06:34 PM
patnyrnyg

18,000 at MSG? They would be lucky to get eighteen hundred.

Old
11-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
cablevision owns the hartford civic center too though...so how much more would it cost them to hold a game at msg then the civic center?? and at msg they would probably draw 18,000 fans compared to 3,000 in hartford...so the trade-off might not be that bad...

but i don't think they would do something like that looking to make a big profit that night, it would be to hopefully gain profits down the road post lockout...you take a hit for those 1 or 2 nights in the hopes that you keep the fans in ny interested and excited about the kids for when the lockout ends
They haven't been able to get 18,000 people into the building for hockey for a long time. Yes, they frequently "sell out" or come close in terms of tickets they claim they've sold, but even for Messier's possible last game the building wasn't full.
I doubt that AHL hockey would outdraw the Rangers.

Also, I think you're underestimating the cost of cancelling a game at Hartford and moving it here.

Old
11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
ILuvHockey

Send a message via AIM to ILuvHockey
Empty seats don'tn ecessarily mean the ticket wasn't sold. They probably bought the tickets and never showed up. They can get at least 5000-8000 at MSG for the Wolfpack. If they make the playoffs (don't want to jinx them)They might even do it for the playoffs. I highly doubt they'll lose money at AHL prices even if they have to pay people. This is the Rangers were talking about. The Wolfpack had two sell outs already home opener and last saturday (That's because it was bobble head night) The average is about 4,000+. In 9 games the average was 4,665. Their attendence is 16th in the league.

Last edited by ILuvHockey: 11-17-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old
11-18-2004, 06:41 AM
JR#9*

The ice is already laid down as they allowed us to skate on it at the fan event on Mon and Tue....

I would think they'd have an interest in doing it not as a buisness move but rather a good faith move to their loyal fans and season tix holders.

LA had a Manchester game out in LA and gave all the season tix holders free tix to the game.

And I believe the Garden would draw a ton more people then they do in Hartford.That building is empty for games.

Old
11-18-2004, 09:40 AM
NYR469

drawing 18,000 people when you have 3 games/week is a bit different then drawing 18,000 people when you have 1 game for the whole year...

i think that there are enough people in ny that miss hockey that if we had a game were it was the ONLY chance to see a hockey game all year that people would be lined up to see that game

Old
11-18-2004, 10:15 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
The ice is already laid down as they allowed us to skate on it at the fan event on Mon and Tue....

I would think they'd have an interest in doing it not as a buisness move but rather a good faith move to their loyal fans and season tix holders.

LA had a Manchester game out in LA and gave all the season tix holders free tix to the game.

And I believe the Garden would draw a ton more people then they do in Hartford.That building is empty for games.
Tampa is also having their minor league affiliate play a few games in Tampa.

The Flyers don't have that same problem being in the same city, but they have moved some games from the old Spectrum to the Wachovia center.

Also all Flyers season ticket holders were given 8 free tickets to Phantoms games of their choosing.

Old
11-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Melrose_Jr.

How has Phantom's attendance been John?

Old
11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
How has Phantom's attendance been John?
It's been very good as usual, they normally lead the league or are close to it. I don't think it's risen dramatically because of the lockout.

Attendances for games to date:
Fri. - 10,152
Wed. - 8,212
Wed. - 4,527
Fri. - 5,391
Sun. - 5,275
Fri. - 7,421
Sun - 7,572
Wed. morning (school special) - 7,032

Old
11-18-2004, 10:42 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
What about the loyal fans and season ticket holders who already paid money to watch a game scheduled in Hartford? That's where the loyality and good faith should be from management.

Old
11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
What about the loyal fans and season ticket holders who already paid money to watch a game scheduled in Hartford? That's where the loyality and good faith should be from management.
Yeah, it will be earth shattering to lose one of the 41 home dates scheduled up there.

I'm sure the 2k up there will be up in arms and never return to the civic center.

Old
11-18-2004, 02:07 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

You mean the dozen of them? Just give them free tix to the garden. Or give back there 15 bucks for the game if they dont want to go the garden..but if there REAL fans they will. (unless they dont have enough time from work to get down there)

Old
11-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
You mean the dozen of them? Just give them free tix to the garden. Or give back there 15 bucks for the game if they dont want to go the garden..but if there REAL fans they will. (unless they dont have enough time from work to get down there)
It's not exactly a short trip and many people would find it an imposition to be forced to come down here for a game.

In any case, the reverse can be said: why don't you travel up to Hartford if you want to see a Wolfpack game so much? REAL fans do it, even when there is NHL hockey down here.

Old
11-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Good point on the ice. But, I think they would have already would have scheduled a game if they thought it was possible.

Of course, now they will announce one tomorrow just to show me up!

Old
11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
It's not exactly a short trip and many people would find it an imposition to be forced to come down here for a game.

In any case, the reverse can be said: why don't you travel up to Hartford if you want to see a Wolfpack game so much? REAL fans do it, even when there is NHL hockey down here.
I DO. I try to go up once a month for a game. They can certainly bring a game or 2 to the Garden.

Old
11-18-2004, 05:05 PM
NYR2

Quote:
And I'm sure it's not exactly a short trip up to Hartford for Ranger fans down here. It's only fair that they get to enjoy watching the future of their team too.

Quote:
Plenty of us have, including myself. But it would be pretty cool to see them play a few games in MSG for the people who can't travel to Hartford for one game. And from my experience up there, the little bit of people who show up most likely won't care if they have to miss a couple of games. They'd get a bigger crowd in MSG than they do up there.

Old
11-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Fletch

If MSG thought...

they could make money by having a Wolf Pack game at the Garden, then I would guess it would be something that would have been scheduled. They need to fill the arena to make money; I doubt that the Wolf Pack playing there wasn't at least an option.

Old
11-18-2004, 07:41 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
I remember reading here somewhere thatthey were considering moving some Pack games to MSG which would be a great idea to help NYC fans to get to see some live hockey.

Also read on HF that the Isles were thinking of doing the same for the Bridgeport-Pack game being moved to Nassau.

Has anybody heard anything on the issue since then?

Thanks
i know some guy who works at the garedn and he told me that, and i said it in a thread about 3 weeks ago.that there were going to be some games at the garden.

Closed Thread