HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Junior Championships

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2004, 10:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
World Junior Championships

Yes it's getting closer and closer, now less then six weeks away. It's my personal favorite hockey tournament, and usually a good chance to see some Hab prospects in action. With the lack of NHL hockey, this years tournament will be even more fun to watch to fill the void.

Here's what we could be looking at,

Christopher Heino-Lindberg- Sweden, Has a strong chance to be the starter, but after the recent 4 Nations where Sweden won the tournament, Sweden got excellent goaltending from both their goalies, so we'll have to wait and see if Heino-Lindberg gets the starting job. I would guess he is still the front runner, but perhaps one of the fans of Swedish hockey can give a better opinion. I would like to see him be the starter, cause I really want to see him play again.

Jaroslav Halak- Slovakia, Has to be on the team, I would guess he will return as the starter. Played well at last years wjc's despite his one bad game against the Czechs. I'd be surprised if he isn't the starter. Would like to see a Sweden vs Slovakia matchup if both prospects are in nets.

Kyle Chipchura- Canada, has to get a good look at camp, don't know if he will make the team or not. I would hope he makes the team in say a 4th line role. A lot depends on how many NHLers are on the team. So far it looks like no Horton, as the panthers don't want him missing too much AHL time. That only helps Chipchura, hopefully more won't be on the team.

Alexi Yemelin- Russia, I have no idea if he will even get a look from Team Russia or not. After being on the top pairing at the U-20 5 Nations in the Czech Rep 2 months ago, he wasn't on the team for the U-20 4 Nations tournament last week. It would be great if he makes the team, but if he does, he likely won't see much if any ice time. Lyamin, Belov, Vorobiev, Aksenenko, Megalinsky, are guys he'll have to beat out for a spot. If not I'd expect him to make the team next year.

Andrei Kostitsyn- Belarus, Ok personally I hope that Gainey and Savard let him go, as I will be watching and rooting for Belarus since it's great that they are even in the tournament, thanks to the play of Kostitsyn, who seems to excell at international tournaments. But if they don't let him go, it's not a big deal as he does need to be in the AHL and has nothing left to learn from playing in his 5th world junior U-20's. I know that Kostitsyn did say he really wants to play for his country because it's against the top countries this year. Come on Bob, let him go !

Old
11-15-2004, 10:49 PM
wedge

oh yeah, I'm really waiting for the tournament, this year. Finally, some good hockey on TV. Like you said, the fact that there is no NHL this year makes us more interested than ever in the tournament

Old
11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
But if they don't let him go, it's not a big deal as he does need to be in the AHL and has nothing left to learn from playing in his 5th world junior U-20's. I know that Kostitsyn did say he really wants to play for his country because it's against the top countries this year. Come on Bob, let him go !
It wouldn't be a great idea to let him , He's struggling badly in the AHL.He needs to play often in the Ahl , the more He play the more He'll learn fastly.Let's not forget that going there would be a great test for him !!! In the past years , He wa splaying vs weak teams like Japan , New England.He'll maybe show us that He'll able to produce while playing vs team like Canada and Usa.

Old
11-15-2004, 11:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
It wouldn't be a great idea to let him , He's struggling badly in the AHL.He needs to play often in the Ahl , the more He play the more He'll learn fastly.Let's not forget that going there would be a great test for him !!! In the past years , He wa splaying vs weak teams like Japan , New England.He'll maybe show us that He'll able to produce while playing vs team like Canada and Usa.

We are talking about 4 or 5 games in Hamilton he would miss, so I'm hoping they let him go, although of course playing in the AHL is better for him in the long run. I don't think he's really struggling badly, I think people had too high expectations. If he's playing like this in the 2nd half of the season, then I'll be more concerned. Right now Jarvis is bringing him along slowly, with limited ice time. Hopefully this works and helps Andrei to become a complete player. I don't think he'll put up the numbers Perezhogin did, but as long as he progresses and develops, points in the AHL aren't as important.

Old
11-16-2004, 01:41 AM
ToNedOuT

Where is tourney being played this year?

I've watched it for as long as I can remember...it's part of the holiday tradition now. Turkey, presents, family, friends, and most importantly HOCKEY!!!!!!!

Old
11-16-2004, 01:55 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
We are talking about 4 or 5 games in Hamilton he would miss, so I'm hoping they let him go, although of course playing in the AHL is better for him in the long run. I don't think he's really struggling badly, I think people had too high expectations. If he's playing like this in the 2nd half of the season, then I'll be more concerned. Right now Jarvis is bringing him along slowly, with limited ice time. Hopefully this works and helps Andrei to become a complete player. I don't think he'll put up the numbers Perezhogin did, but as long as he progresses and develops, points in the AHL aren't as important.
Kostitsyn's presence at the WJC may help or hurt his game when he comes back to Hamilton... He could gain massive confidence from the ice time and being a dominant force in the tournament. Then again, he could regress from whatever progress he has made at the NA pro-level by adopting a selfish, all-out offence style.

Old
11-16-2004, 01:57 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I didn't know Massachussets-New-England seperated from the United States! Must have been pissed off about Bush winning the election...

Old
11-16-2004, 07:00 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
I didn't know Massachussets-New-England seperated from the United States! Must have been pissed off about Bush winning the election...
New England is now part of Canada. They'll notice probably in the New Year and we'll negotiate and end up keeping Vermont which 63.9% think is already Canadian anyways.

Old
11-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Scintillating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
New England is now part of Canada. They'll notice probably in the New Year and we'll negotiate and end up keeping Vermont which 63.9% think is already Canadian anyways.
New England wants nothing to do with Bush, and the Maritimes are always treated like crap from Ottawa, so word is the two are going to merge and form the independent nation of Maritima.
Newfoundland can come too and keep 100% of it's offshore revenues.

Old
11-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Darz

Quote:
Yes it's getting closer and closer, now less then six weeks away. It's my personal favorite hockey tournament, and usually a good chance to see some Hab prospects in action. With the lack of NHL hockey, this years tournament will be even more fun to watch to fill the void.

Here's what we could be looking at,

Christopher Heino-Lindberg

Jaroslav Halak

Kyle Chipchura

Alexi Yemelin

Andrei Kostitsyn
Any chance we could see Maxim Lapierre on the Canadian team...or is there just too many options for Canada this year. Could be a decent 3rd/4th liner for the junior team.

Old
11-16-2004, 10:19 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I'm curious, if an NHL team ever loaned out one of it's players that didn't make the World Junior team? Anyone have any idea? It would be a little embarrassing one would think.

Old
11-16-2004, 10:33 AM
bopeep

Next year's tournament is here in Vancouver and I'm pumped about that already. College football cough sucks cough. Let's hope Chipchura gets the nod this year as it'll definitely keep my interest for the entire duration (background sound of wife sobbing)

Old
11-16-2004, 11:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Any chance we could see Maxim Lapierre on the Canadian team...or is there just too many options for Canada this year. Could be a decent 3rd/4th liner for the junior team.

I don't think so, but it would be great if he at least go an invite to the selection camp.

Old
11-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Habs4ever

every year Habs prospect get shutout making canadian the team!!

last two years locke was the BPA in juniors but no his size is too small so he can't make it, just like him three years ago Milroy was ready to make WJC team but no team is looking for character guys. I don't ex[pect anything will change this year!!

Old
11-16-2004, 01:54 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
Next year's tournament is here in Vancouver and I'm pumped about that already. College football cough sucks cough. Let's hope Chipchura gets the nod this year as it'll definitely keep my interest for the entire duration (background sound of wife sobbing)
You seem to have that age old problem of a spouse who enjoys your company, sign up for my behavioural modifacation course and this can change, I promise you a life of being banished to a room with satellite.

Old
11-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Peoples

The tourney is in North Dakota

Old
11-16-2004, 02:34 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
You seem to have that age old problem of a spouse who enjoys your company, sign up for my behavioural modifacation course and this can change, I promise you a life of being banished to a room with satellite.
You're a lifesaver McPhee. You know my better half still hasn't learned the #1 rule of hockey watching etiquette - "save all conversation regarding non-hockey related subjects for intermission" footnote: except when Coaches Corner is on

Old
11-16-2004, 04:39 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
YEAH IT"S TRUE !!! It's England !

Idiot me ! :troll: :bonk:

Old
11-16-2004, 06:26 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
I'm curious, if an NHL team ever loaned out one of it's players that didn't make the World Junior team? Anyone have any idea? It would be a little embarrassing one would think.
Ha. yes it would be. I'm not sure if it's happened or not, but after last year's fiasco I had my doubts about the performance of Brent Burns' line. Thought they could've done a bit more.

As for this year, I am already drooling. I can't wait, it is simply the best tourney for me and watching it with my family is a holiday tradition.

Old
11-16-2004, 08:47 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
The team is already stacked at forward Darz. Stacked. Aside from goaltending, this year's team is being hailed a dream team. Probably won't be any room for Chipchura... nevermind a limited-talent like Lapierre.

Getzlaf-Carter-Burns(?)
Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Bergeron-Collition-Dixon
Perry-Crosby-Horton(?)

+Fehr, Ladd, Picard, Chipchura, Wolski, Zajac, Pouliot...

I don't see how Lapierre could crack that lineup.

Old
11-16-2004, 10:58 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
As for this year, I am already drooling. I can't wait, it is simply the best tourney for me and watching it with my family is a holiday tradition.
Yep, the streets in Canada will be empty for sure. I can't wait for this, it's gonna be awesome.

Old
11-17-2004, 12:02 AM
SpezNc

Quote:
The team is already stacked at forward Darz. Stacked. Aside from goaltending, this year's team is being hailed a dream team. Probably won't be any room for Chipchura... nevermind a limited-talent like Lapierre.

Getzlaf-Carter-Burns(?)
Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Bergeron-Collition-Dixon
Perry-Crosby-Horton(?)

+Fehr, Ladd, Picard, Chipchura, Wolski, Zajac, Pouliot...

I don't see how Lapierre could crack that lineup.
Some injuries may happens..

and maybe replace Dixon by Ladd, Chippy, Pouliot or Picard

Old
11-17-2004, 12:15 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc
Some injuries may happens..

and maybe replace Dixon by Ladd, Chippy, Pouliot or Picard
Players from the previous year always come back. Also, Dixon is the only returnee from the checking line. Count on him being there.

Old
11-17-2004, 09:21 AM
saskhab

Brent Burns is a d-man now (again, actually). He won't be sent to the WJCs to make the team up front. Wild management is trying to make him stick on the back end. He might not make the team because of Canada's strength at D.

Horton isn't going to be there, but Bergeron is. So that's one forward spot taken by a NHLer.

Personally, I think letting Kostitsyn go to the tourney would be a great move. I think we have to remember that it is only about 5 games that he will miss. It's an opportunity to play on a big stage, and for him to get some goals. It's a great opportunity for him, and the team, to see how he is progressing against other people his age.

Old
11-17-2004, 01:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Players from the previous year always come back.

Not always. Michaud wasn't even invited back to the selection camp.

Closed Thread