HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
You may think I'm kidding but Rozsival as a 7th may make some sense. He was pretty good in Phoenix this year and the price will be right. I've seen a lot worse ideas.
only if he goes to the Whale...otherwise...NO THANKS...

Old
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Since no one answered my post on the main prospects board, I'll ask here. Does anyone have a good scouting report on him? Please only answer if you watched him play in a good amount of games.
Is three a good amount?

Old
05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
MESSY11

I'm sorry but WHY is every one so hyper about this kid how is he better then Gilroy? I have never seen him play and I'm not saying he sucks but wasnt everyone high on Gilroy and he turned out to be garbage. I'm just not really sold on these college FA.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSY11 View Post
I'm sorry but WHY is every one so hyper about this kid how is he better then Gilroy? I have never seen him play and I'm not saying he sucks but wasnt everyone high on Gilroy and he turned out to be garbage. I'm just not really sold on these college FA.
Gilroy was a skater...period. No shot whatsoever. His shot is weaker than Gomez's shot. He's small, has no physicality at all, etc.

Schultz can shoot the puck. no matter what else he may be, the kid can shoot.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
He didn't come out of nowhere like Gilroy--he was a second round draft pick who then had dramatic improvement during college. He's also dominated college hockey while almost half-a-decade younger than Gilroy.

Ultimately, he's a 21 year old potential top-4 defenseman that can be acquired for no assets except cap space, and even then, would be locked into an ELC. That is a very valuable commodity.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
He's not the same situation as Gilroy. Gilroy was never drafted and developed physically very late. Schultz was a second rounder of the Ducks a few years ago, but since he's stayed in college and hasn't signed with them yet, he can become a UFA this summer and sign wherever he wants. He's not a late bloomer who kind of came out of nowhere like Gilroy. I haven't seem him play, but he seems to have a similar game to McBain of Carolina and could be a perfect partner for Staal or McDonagh. I don't think anyone's completely sold on him, but it's like getting a free second round pick and all it costs is a ELC with some bonuses. Many teams will be interested. It's a low risk, high reward move.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
He's not the same situation as Gilroy. Gilroy was never drafted and developed physically very late. Schultz was a second rounder of the Ducks a few years ago, but since he's stayed in college and hasn't signed with them yet, he can become a UFA this summer and sign wherever he wants. He's not a late bloomer who kind of came out of nowhere like Gilroy. I haven't seem him play, but he seems to have a similar game to McBain of Carolina and could be a perfect partner for Staal or McDonagh. I don't think anyone's completely sold on him, but it's like getting a free second round pick and all it costs is a ELC with some bonuses. Many teams will be interested. It's a low risk, high reward move.
I'd characterize his worth as significantly more than a 2nd round pick. He's a second round pick that went on to exceed all expectations and develop for two additional years. Very few 2nd rounders can say that.

I would give up the Rangers 1st rounder in a second for him. If we can get him without giving up any assets other than cap space, we'd be having our cake and eating it too.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
What basis do you have for comparing these 2 players????

Check their ages too.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What basis do you have for comparing these 2 players????

Check their ages too.
I'd just like to say that when the Rangers were rumored to get Zuccarello and a lot of people were saying that it's like getting an extra first round pick for free, I expressed doubt because we had just been burned by Gilroy, who had been similarly hyped.

Personally, I see a difference between Schultz and Gilroy because Schultz was a fairly high draft pick and doesn't seem to have obvious pitfalls like Gilroy and Zuccarello did, but I think it's fair to be a little skeptical.

Old
05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
As long as the guy can log minutes, and limit the damage on Del Zotto's brain farts, and at a cheap price, I'm all for it.

He was a -34 though.
He was, but I don't take +/- seriously in a vacuum like that. He was on a terrible team. His offensive zone starts were limited. His Corsi was low, which means (for a D) that he wasn't playing a lot with players who were an offensive threat. Not worried about that.

Old
05-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
I'd just like to say that when the Rangers were rumored to get Zuccarello and a lot of people were saying that it's like getting an extra first round pick for free, I expressed doubt because we had just been burned by Gilroy, who had been similarly hyped.

Personally, I see a difference between Schultz and Gilroy because Schultz was a fairly high draft pick and doesn't seem to have obvious pitfalls like Gilroy and Zuccarello did, but I think it's fair to be a little skeptical.
I still think Zuke can be great if actually given a chance. Reminds me a whole lot of PAP.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Mikos87

Friday is the day that Shultz can start talking to other teams. I'm sure everyone will be getting updates then.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Friday is the day that Shultz can start talking to other teams. I'm sure everyone will be getting updates then.
No, he can't start talking to other teams until like June 25th. Teams that own a players rights get an exclusive 30 window to negotiate a contract from the day they drop out of school, I believe.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I'd characterize his worth as significantly more than a 2nd round pick. He's a second round pick that went on to exceed all expectations and develop for two additional years. Very few 2nd rounders can say that.

I would give up the Rangers 1st rounder in a second for him. If we can get him without giving up any assets other than cap space, we'd be having our cake and eating it too.
Very true. I would as well.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Is three a good amount?
Since no one answered, that's good enough. I'm starting to think no one here actually watched him and just wants him so much because everyone is talking about him. I mean.. no one can even describe his playing style?

05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Since no one answered, that's good enough. I'm starting to think no one here actually watched him and just wants him so much because everyone is talking about him. I mean.. no one can even describe his playing style?
Smooth defenseman who is a natural playmaker and sees the ice very well. Isn't going to be a guy who scores from end to end, but he's a smart offensive player. In a sad irony, he reminded me of a young Wade Redden.

The key with him is poise, he doesn't force plays or rush them. He'll put up his share of points, but I don't expect him to remind anyone of Brian Leetch. He'd be a great addition to have for any team and I expect all of them to make a play.

Push comes to shove, I think he goes with Vancouver.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:04 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Gilroy was a skater...period. No shot whatsoever. His shot is weaker than Gomez's shot. He's small, has no physicality at all, etc.
.....and yet people around here were pretty dang high on Gilroy. I'll be pretty happy if we get Schultz, but I'm pretty much wait and see on him. Seems like a good fit for the Rangers though.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Friday?

Quote:
ANA's 30-day window of exclusivity to sign (no chance) or trade rights (possible) of Justin Schultz is believed to expire on June 24.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...64843938701312

Quote:
If Schultz chooses to not sign before then, he will be an unrestricted free agent by no later than June 25, the Monday after the NHL draft.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...65305073074177

Quote:
As an UFA on June 25, Schultz would be free to talk and negotiate with any NHL team but he can't officially sign a contract until July 1.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...66638643634176

June 25.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:05 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I'd assume his rights are traded at some point right before or during the draft.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

You can go back and forth with Schultz. Richards refused to have his rights traded because he didn't want the other team giving up something for him when he didn't want to sign there. He also didn't want the Rangers to give up assets for him because he was signing here and it would only weaken the team. Both Richards and Schultz are represented by Newport Sports. If you're a GM who has heard talk about Schultz signing with your team,why not wait the extra few days and talk to him on June 25 instead of trading for his rights at the draft?

The Rangers represent the best landing spot for him. They don't have a million D under contract like Detroit and Toronto.

Quote:
It also makes Detroit an interesting option for Justin Schultz, the talented University of Wisconsin defenseman who still hasn't signed with the Ducks. Chances are he won't, which means he'll hit the market as a free agent who will draw as much interest as anyone this offseason.

The competition for him will be intense, but Schultz may be intrigued by the possibility of being part of the next wave of young defensemen in Detroit. If Holland can put together a defense for next season that includes Suter, Niklas Kronwall, Ian White, Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl, Smith, Quincey and Schultz, the Wings are in great shape. But unlike when they watched Yzerman step away, there isn't an heir apparent ready to take Lidstrom's mantle as the Red Wings' lead blueliner.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...cklas-lidstrom

That's 8 defensemen. Eight. Brendan Smith has languished in the AHL for the last 2 years stuck behind the vets on D. Why would Schultz go there?

Torts was on with Francesa and Kay yesterday. On both shows,he stressed growing and the adding to the blueline. He said we have a few young guys coming. He didn't mention names but its Erixon and McIlrath. On Kay,Torts said the D was more important than adding another scorer. He pointed to internal growth of Stepan and Hagelin for next season. The emergence of Kreider.

The Rangers only have Dan Girardi under contract on the right side. Mike Sauer is a huge question mark. Schultz will look to go to a team with an opening so he can get playing time. That's not happening with the Wings. The Rangers have 4 D and the rest of the spots are wide open.

Smith and McD are the same age. One guy is a still a prospect while McDonagh is on the verge of stardom and getting $4M per next summer. Does Schultz want to play in the AHL and wait his turn or play? Torts plays the young kids. He was talking about it yesterday.

Alain Vigneault had issues with Hodgson in VAN. Zach Kassian barely played. Mason Raymond is in and out of the doghouse in VAN.

New York is the best spot.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:19 AM
JanErixon20

If the Rangers get this guy and say make a trade for Bobby Ryan, I'd be happy.

Nash will cost to much. Parise is probably going to Detroit or Minny if he doesn't stay in NJ.

I have a feeling Sather and the Rangers have their sites set on Schultz.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Vitto79

I would be happy getting Schultz but man that is alot of young Dmen and I can't imagine everyone plays

I just feel Torts is going to ask Sather to go out and grab either Kubina or Sarich for depth then go with DZ permately on RD side especially if Sauer stays out

Erixon should make the team and Stralman should be depth

McDonaugh, Girardi
Staal, Del Zotto
Erixon, Kubina or Sarich
Stralman

McIlrath call up
maybe sign Bickel and Woywitka only if they take two deals and start in CT

Old
05-31-2012, 08:22 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
If the Rangers get this guy and say make a trade for Bobby Ryan, I'd be happy.

Nash will cost to much. Parise is probably going to Detroit or Minny if he doesn't stay in NJ.

I have a feeling Sather and the Rangers have their sites set on Schultz.
Depending on what the cost is for Ryan that could be a very good summer.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Depending on what the cost is for Ryan that could be a very good summer.
From what I've read online (take it for what it's worth scenario), it's way less then what it would cost for Nash. And he makes less money.

Honestly, not even sure if ANA is shopping him anymore.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I would be happy getting Schultz but man that is alot of young Dmen and I can't imagine everyone plays

I just feel Torts is going to ask Sather to go out and grab either Kubina or Sarich for depth then go with DZ permately on RD side especially if Sauer stays out

Erixon should make the team and Stralman should be depth

McDonaugh, Girardi
Staal, Del Zotto
Erixon, Kubina or Sarich
Stralman

McIlrath call up
maybe sign Bickel and Woywitka only if they take two deals and start in CT
Del Zotto was a disaster on the right side. The Rangers will sign a right-handed shot for the blue line at some point this offseason, whether it be Schultz or someone else.

Closed Thread