HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2011-12 Season Thread (Part 2)

Old
03-27-2012, 06:57 PM
doogie24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Saw him in the stands. He didn't say what the injury was, but hopefully he'll be back soon (Saturday?).
Someone on the noof said he has a concussion.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
krazy kanuck

Hopefully the Colts can take care of things on Saturday and close out on Monday...going to make the road trip

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Barrie's Picks as of today in the 2012 OHL Priority Selection:

Round 1: 16th
Round 2: 20th
Round 3: 5th
Round 4: 6th
Round 5: 9th, 13th
Round 6: 2nd
Round 7: NO PICK
Round 8: NO PICK
Round 9: 19th
Round 10: 15th
Round 11: 15th
Round 12: 15th, 20th
Round 13: 15th
Round 14: 15th
Round 15: 15th

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:56 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Big game tomorrow for the Colts. Hopefully we can win two in a row and take the series in 6 games and get Zack Hall back.

LeafsColts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
Looks like the colts could be without Mark Scef for a bit too. He was hit from behind and it took a few players to take him off the rink. The majors player should be suspended, if Behenna was taken out for 8 games then the majors player should be too.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:31 AM
NHL Fanatic

Mississauga got robbed tonight. Niederberger intentionally knocked off the net as he was in trouble. Majors coaches were furious, arguing that in that case the goal should have been allowed or a penalty shot should have been rewarded.

Steven Byers played well today, capitalized on a huge mistake by Maxwell. Scheifele looks like he will be out the duration of this series, huge hit but Diodati. Big game on Monday as Barrie has the opportunity to close out this series. They really don't want Mississauga to extend this to 7.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:56 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Mississauga got robbed tonight. Niederberger intentionally knocked off the net as he was in trouble. Majors coaches were furious, arguing that in that case the goal should have been allowed or a penalty shot should have been rewarded.
I don't think he knocked it off intentionally. In my view he made a save and fell back into the net. At most it is questionable, not matter of fact as you state above. They reviewed the play and reversed the official's decision. They must have thought he didn't do it intentially, or they wouldn't have overturned the ruling.

Overall I don't think the Majors had much to complain about in terms of the officials. I thought the officiating was terrible, and up until midway through the third most of it was in the Majors favour. Harvey gets a misconduct but no roughing when he throws down his gloves and tries to start a fight. Buonomo gets the only roughing call in a scrum while the Major was an equal participant at the end of the play. Erlich took a stick to the face two feet in front of the ref and no call. McNeill gets a tripping call when the Major had an unassisted fall down. Finally, how Diodati gets away with a double minor instead of a 5 minute major is completely beyond me. Interesting to see if he gets suspended.

At the beginning of the series I predicted Colts in 6 but that's looking dodgy now. I though it was going to happen with the Behenna suspension, then with Hall injury, but now with Scheifele down too... Basically the Majors are playing the Colts second and third lines. There's so many injuries at this point...Pearson, Hall, Scheifele, Sutch...not sure any will be back for game 6...it's going to be a big challenge for the guys who are left. Not many teams can be without two (and now three) of their top 5 scorers and still win a series. This may be decided Tuesday night in triple overtime.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:01 AM
NHL Fanatic

Officiating has been horrible all series, and I believe he did knock off the net intentionally, once he was out of position the net was knocked off at least 2-3 seconds before they scored.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:35 PM
pagetheaj

Quote:
I thought the officiating was terrible, and up until midway through the third most of it was in the Majors favour.
If you mean how many times the Majors got penalties, yes. Definitely the refereeing was in the Majors favour. 6 powerplays plus a 10 minute misconduct for the Colts to the three PPs the Majors got, one of which was a gift penalty with 5 seconds to go in the game. Yes the Majors played undisciplined, and deserved every penalty they took (except for the phantom slash on the 5 on 3) but to say the refs were biased towards Mississauga is a little ridiculous.

pagetheaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:20 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Officiating has been horrible all series, and I believe he did knock off the net intentionally, once he was out of position the net was knocked off at least 2-3 seconds before they scored.
No argument on the officiating this series. Pretty sure you're wrong about the timing. There was 5.2 seconds left for the initial face off. There was 1 second left after the review. That leaves 4.2 seconds in between. There was some time at the face off circle before the initial rush to the net wher Niederberger fell back and the the net came off. I'd be surprised if the non-goal was more than two seconds after the net came off.

Just presenting the opposing homer view .

PS - Niederberger isn't the type to knock off the post. Some goalies the net comes off several times per game. Have you even noticed the Colts net off before this series? Hardly ever happens...

Old
04-01-2012, 01:47 PM
mcreferee

Quote:
I don't think he knocked it off intentionally. In my view he made a save and fell back into the net. At most it is questionable, not matter of fact as you state above. They reviewed the play and reversed the official's decision. They must have thought he didn't do it intentially, or they wouldn't have overturned the ruling.

Overall I don't think the Majors had much to complain about in terms of the officials. I thought the officiating was terrible, and up until midway through the third most of it was in the Majors favour. Harvey gets a misconduct but no roughing when he throws down his gloves and tries to start a fight. Buonomo gets the only roughing call in a scrum while the Major was an equal participant at the end of the play. Erlich took a stick to the face two feet in front of the ref and no call. McNeill gets a tripping call when the Major had an unassisted fall down. Finally, how Diodati gets away with a double minor instead of a 5 minute major is completely beyond me. Interesting to see if he gets suspended.

At the beginning of the series I predicted Colts in 6 but that's looking dodgy now. I though it was going to happen with the Behenna suspension, then with Hall injury, but now with Scheifele down too... Basically the Majors are playing the Colts second and third lines. There's so many injuries at this point...Pearson, Hall, Scheifele, Sutch...not sure any will be back for game 6...it's going to be a big challenge for the guys who are left. Not many teams can be without two (and now three) of their top 5 scorers and still win a series. This may be decided Tuesday night in triple overtime.
Re: the Harvey incident. Correct call. If Ezekiel hadn't been a chicken and manned up, Barrie would have got a PP as Harvey clearly was the instigator. Otherwise, the correct call for inciting is a 10 minute misconduct. Serves him right for turning down the challenge.

mcreferee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetheaj View Post
If you mean how many times the Majors got penalties, yes. Definitely the refereeing was in the Majors favour. 6 powerplays plus a 10 minute misconduct for the Colts to the three PPs the Majors got, one of which was a gift penalty with 5 seconds to go in the game. Yes the Majors played undisciplined, and deserved every penalty they took (except for the phantom slash on the 5 on 3) but to say the refs were biased towards Mississauga is a little ridiculous.
If they got 6 penalties and deserved 10, then yes, the referring was in the Majors favour. Moreover, if the double minor had have been a major like it should have been, their would have been one fewer Colt power play. My comments stemmed from a comment that the Majors got "robbed" because of the officiating. If Buonomo hadn't been called for a phantom roughing call the Majors likely would have never scored their first goal to begin with.

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 04-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old
04-01-2012, 06:17 PM
loo

hard to fill a rink when you play a 1,2,2 trap...boring, open up and show your fans the fastest game in the world.

loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:40 PM
LeafsColts13

Anybody know how Scheifele is doing and if he will be back anytime soon.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
coltsfan3035

Scheifele is fine, was out practicing today. Racer, any word on the other colts that have been injured?

coltsfan3035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan3035 View Post
Scheifele is fine, was out practicing today. Racer, any word on the other colts that have been injured?
yes, but it is playoffs....not saying on the forum....will be good to see scheif out there tomorrow night....

Old
04-02-2012, 10:47 PM
NHL Fanatic

Hands down one of the best OHL playoffs games this year I've attended tonight. The atmosphere was buzzing, end to end hockey and an awesome finish. Camara placed that shot perfectly. It will be another tough series against Ottawa but will be a good one! Ekblad plays so well every game, he has so much potential.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:03 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Hands down one of the best OHL playoffs games this year I've attended tonight. The atmosphere was buzzing, end to end hockey and an awesome finish. Camara placed that shot perfectly. It will be another tough series against Ottawa but will be a good one! Ekblad plays so well every game, he has so much potential.
Indeed...as far as OHL playoff games I've been to, this was second only to another OT affair against Mississauga a few years ago when JP Anderson and Peter DiSalvo each made over 80 saves in a triple overtime affair that was then the second longest playoff game in OHL history. I liked the result tonight a little bit better...

Majors fans were really loud - louder than I expected they'd be, especially in the third and in OT. Crazy end to end action for about 7 minutes straight without a whistle. Lots of fun...

Old
04-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Luvtowatch

I watched the game last night, awesome ! I noticed that Hawerchuk didn't play Smoskowitz very much. I haven't seen that many games this year but last year this kid played really well. Why would he get benched now? He always seems to play a solid and responsible two way game.

Luvtowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I watched the game last night, awesome ! I noticed that Hawerchuk didn't play Smoskowitz very much. I haven't seen that many games this year but last year this kid played really well. Why would he get benched now? He always seems to play a solid and responsible two way game.
He hasn't been the player he was last year. His ice time has diminished as the season has gone along. He was a healthy a few times at the end of the year. One of my fav. Players last season.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
He hasn't been the player he was last year. His ice time has diminished as the season has gone along. He was a healthy a few times at the end of the year. One of my fav. Players last season.
I see that. What part of his game has gone backwards so badly? He played a few shifts in the first period and looked fine.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I see that. What part of his game has gone backwards so badly? He played a few shifts in the first period and looked fine.
Consistent effort shift-to-shift, physicality, not creating offense.

He had pretty good linemates last year too though and never got a shot with them this season.

I feel for him. He never really got his shot.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Consistent effort shift-to-shift, physicality, not creating offense.

He had pretty good linemates last year too though and never got a shot with them this season.

I feel for him. He never really got his shot.
When Hawerchuk put him with Pearson and Beranek they played really well together. I think thats when Pearson really started to show something.

Old
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
coltsfan3035

Quote:
yes, but it is playoffs....not saying on the forum....will be good to see scheif out there tomorrow night....
Yes good idea racer, thanks anyways tho.
On a better note, round 2 here we come! Amazing series for Niederberger, the kid can really play, and his game has elevated in the playoffs. Kudos to Beyers for coming back after that nasty hit from Wise, and making that amazing back door pass to Camara in OT. Also to the pairings of Lepkowski,Buonomo and McNeill,Ekblad.. Amazing job shutting down Missy's top line 5 on 5 this series, Lep/Buo seem to play well with one another. Hopefully this cntinues in the next round. Telegin, scheifele both played solid as well. Good luck in Ottawa boys! Will be watching on sportsnet

coltsfan3035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:22 PM
LeafsColts13

What a great 2 days. The colts win a thriller and a NHL exhibition game at the BMC in September.