HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Put Foligno back in the top 6

Old
03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Derian Hatcher

vCash: 500
All of you who think Nick Foligno is a top 6 forward probably thought Peter Schaefer was one as well.

Derian Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derian Hatcher View Post
All of you who think Nick Foligno is a top 6 forward probably thought Peter Schaefer was one as well.
But Kyle Turris is?
But Colin Greening is?
But Bobby Butler is?
But Rob Klinkhammer is?

You are probably one of those guys that thinks Crosby is a 3rd line center because he played there in the game on sunday

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Derian Hatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
But Kyle Turris is?
But Colin Greening is?
But Bobby Butler is?
But Rob Klinkhammer is?

You are probably one of those guys that thinks Crosby is a 3rd line center because he played there in the game on sunday
Nope none of them are. They are getting top 6 minutes but none of them are proven top 6 scorers.

Foligno is a great 3rd line checking winger. Nothing wrong with that but he just doesn't have the finish to be a regular top 6 forward.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Nope none of them are. They are getting top 6 minutes but none of them are proven top 6 scorers.

Foligno is a great 3rd line checking winger. Nothing wrong with that but he just doesn't have the finish to be a regular top 6 forward.
A lot of "proven" top 6 guys are top 3 guys. Some teams have an abundance of riches while others don't.

I agree that we have exactly 3 top 3 guys, and I'd argue Turris is a top 6 guy in terms of his skillset and ability to generate chances.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:

I think he plays his 3rd line role well but if you check his stats league wide, against his peers this season, his stats prove that he is an upper echelon 2nd line winger... Agree with that or not... Those are the facts...

We have 3 "top line" forwards...Then we have Nick..

Old
03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Derian Hatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
A lot of "proven" top 6 guys are top 3 guys. Some teams have an abundance of riches while others don't.

I agree that we have exactly 3 top 3 guys, and I'd argue Turris is a top 6 guy in terms of his skillset and ability to generate chances.
Turris has a ton of skill , but still needs to work on his overall game. I am pretty confident he will develop though.

The thing that drives me nuts about Foligno is his decision making. He always tries to make the hard play. And when he does manage to make one of his "junior-esque" moves around a defender he shoots it right into the goalies chest or misses entirely.

He is still young enough that he can improve his game a lot. I just think he has a lot of work ahead of him.

He goes on my long list of frustrating Senators to watch because of how much better they COULD have been / be
Ex. Vermette all the dangles in the world no finish. Schaefer was unreal along the boards but that was it. Foligno seems to make the wrong decision everytime he has the puck. Simplify your game kid geez.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Turris has a ton of skill , but still needs to work on his overall game. I am pretty confident he will develop though.

The thing that drives me nuts about Foligno is his decision making. He always tries to make the hard play. And when he does manage to make one of his "junior-esque" moves around a defender he shoots it right into the goalies chest or misses entirely.

He is still young enough that he can improve his game a lot. I just think he has a lot of work ahead of him.

He goes on my long list of frustrating Senators to watch because of how much better they COULD have been / be
Ex. Vermette all the dangles in the world no finish. Schaefer was unreal along the boards but that was it. Foligno seems to make the wrong decision everytime he has the puck. Simplify your game kid geez.
"seems"

Like its been said a zillion times...

2nd among fwd in even strength scoring- wrong decision everytime
4th on team among forwards in scoring= wrong decision everytime
3rd on team among forwards in assists= wrong decision everytime
5th on team in shooting percentage=hits the goalies chest everytime
8th among fwds in missed shots with 34 (Less than Spezza, Alfie, Michalek, Greening, Condra, Butler,Smith)= Misses entirely

Only thing I agree with you on is that he tries to beat guys 1 on 1 too often... but its not like he is doing it with teammates alongside... Its a 1 on 1... linemates are changing etc, he is leading a rush... He doesnt do it with wide open teammates banging their sticks on the ice because they are open...

Old
03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Ohhh Franco

I think Foligno is becoming the most polarizing player on the Sens; some think he lacks consistency and hockey sense and some throw is name out there in the same breath as Backes, Parise and Ovechkin.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Cowen Time

One thing at least is that a lot of his 1 on 1s end up with a corner puck battle, which is better than a 1 on 1 turn over rush in the other direction.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
One thing at least is that a lot of his 1 on 1s end up with a corner puck battle, which is better than a 1 on 1 turn over rush in the other direction.
Some of his 1 on 1s turn over the other way as well. I noticed it more earlier in the season when he was on the top 6. Come to think of it, maybe that's one of the key reasons he was moved to the bottom 6 (another being he's a momentum killer).

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
I think Foligno is becoming the most polarizing player on the Sens; some think he lacks consistency and hockey sense and some throw is name out there in the same breath as Backes, Parise and Ovechkin.
He does have more ES points then Ovechkin!

Ovechkin: Hits 192 Giveaways 38 Takeaways 29 Goals 32 ES Goals 19 ES Points 34
ES TOI 15:58

Foligno: Hits 179 Giveaways 23 Takeaways 35 Goals 14 ES Goals 13 ES Points 38
ES TOI 13:10

Not saying at all that Foligno is a better LW then Ovechkin but at ES he is more productive this season. Pretty crazy how far Ovechkin has fallen and how productive Foligno actually is at ES on the 2nd/3rd/4th lines he has played this year.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Ohhh Franco

Foligno, Bishop and a 3rd for Ovechkin and Neuvirth?

Old
03-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Foligno, Bishop and a 3rd for Ovechkin and Neuvirth?
I wouldnt do it... Ovechkin makes too much...

Old
03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
He does have more ES points then Ovechkin!

Ovechkin: Hits 192 Giveaways 38 Takeaways 29 Goals 32 ES Goals 19 ES Points 34
ES TOI 15:58

Foligno: Hits 179 Giveaways 23 Takeaways 35 Goals 14 ES Goals 13 ES Points 38
ES TOI 13:10

Not saying at all that Foligno is a better LW then Ovechkin but at ES he is more productive this season. Pretty crazy how far Ovechkin has fallen and how productive Foligno actually is at ES on the 2nd/3rd/4th lines he has played this year.

i really want to know if there are any of the "Fisher fans" (i was a fisher fan but i mean FISHER FANS) who take the opposite position with Foligno. (ie. The Fish was a 2nd liner but Foligno is not)

i think that would be funny.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

you know what else would be interesting is to list the 360 or so forwards names and then for us to vote on 1st, 2nd or bottom 6 guy

ill bet we end up with like 30 top line guys another 30 2nd line guys and 300 hundred bottom 6 guys. lol

Old
03-20-2012, 04:17 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
i really want to know if there are any of the "Fisher fans" (i was a fisher fan but i mean FISHER FANS) who take the opposite position with Foligno. (ie. The Fish was a 2nd liner but Foligno is not)

i think that would be funny.
I was a FISHER FAN & defended him many times on here. And now I find myself defending Foligno as well against people who want him to be more than he is. In one thread someone actually complained about Foligno always shooting the puck into the goalie's chest all the time, sound familiar? That's what I was thinking that Foligno is the new Fisher & people who like him will defend him & people who don't will always want more from him. Over 40 pts while playing most of the time on the 4th line IMO is impressive, hopefully next yr, he plays with a couple of scoring linemates & then maybe we can see a little more from him.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I was a FISHER FAN & defended him many times on here. And now I find myself defending Foligno as well against people who want him to be more than he is. In one thread someone actually complained about Foligno always shooting the puck into the goalie's chest all the time, sound familiar? That's what I was thinking that Foligno is the new Fisher & people who like him will defend him & people who don't will always want more from him. Over 40 pts while playing most of the time on the 4th line IMO is impressive, hopefully next yr, he plays with a couple of scoring linemates & then maybe we can see a little more from him.

I think the real difference is that Foligno puts up all of these points without PP time and quite a bit less overall TOI and obviously lesser linemates. (guessing here but pretty sure).

IMO what Foligno is doing is substantially more impressive.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
4 goals in his last 36 games. 2 on goaltenders, 2 in to empty nets.
And 20 points in 36 games, while every forward not named Spezza, Alfie, Michalek has dropped off of a cliff.

Quote:
Its not a personal vendetta. Ive said it from the get go; he's a player that would most benefit from employing the KISS principle. North-South, 200feet, crash, bang and go to the net - that's what Foligno needs to do and thats what I think he's best at. Playing him with skilled players just doesnt make sense.
Quote:
So you guys aren't arguing the impossible; that he isn't effective... because he's quite clearly been very effective this season.

You guys are just mad because Foligno doesn't play exactly the way you want and the audacity that he could succeed without following your strict instructions is offensive.

I said 'guys', but is it actually crazy, control freak, OCD afflicted, A-type female?

Quote:
And some people would rather fight strawmen than converse eye-to-eye with a human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
you know what else would be interesting is to list the 360 or so forwards names and then for us to vote on 1st, 2nd or bottom 6 guy

ill bet we end up with like 30 top line guys another 30 2nd line guys and 300 hundred bottom 6 guys. lol
I'd also bet that you get more denial about newly emerging 1st and 2nd liners from one's own fans as opposed to the fans of other teams.

But then again, there seem to be many amongst this fan base who seem to think that Havlat finishing 24th overall in scoring in 2004 was the only time we've ever had a "2nd liner".

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Tundraman
Survivalist

What bothers me with Foligno's game is that he rarely gets any scoring chances lately. In the 1st half of the season even when he didn't score he'd get 2 or 3 chances every game and often he'd make those on his own. For quite a few games now he doesn't create any offense at all. He plays like he's a one dimensional checking 4th liner. What's wrong with the guy? Is he sulking?

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 100
nah, foligno is a 3rd liner.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
H2O

He's on the top 6 now, let's pay attention.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Ron Jeremy

He's a 2nd - 3rd line tweener who is better at center, OK? /discussion :-)

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

People are ignoring the fact that a lot of Foligno's assists are lucky secondary assists and some of his goals are empty netters. He isn't consistent enough and doesn't have the polish to be a long term 2nd liner. He is what he is. Occasionally he'll score a highlight reel goal, but more often than not he will try and do too much and lose the puck. His skating ability is mediocre. I think he's a perfect 3rd line lw though. Klinkhammer's shown zero offensive upside, right now I think they should switch Foligno and hammer. But we should have an upgrade on Foligno in that spot in the form of Silfverberg. (Hopefully). Foligno seems to be a heavily criticized player by some or an "OMG he's amazing" by others. Foligno is what he is. Let's pick on Kuba or something, sick of all the Foligno talk. Btw, like I predicted before the season: Ottawa 7th, Toronto 11th is going to happen.

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Ohhh Franco

These last 8 games may be crucial for Foligno's future here in Ottawa. Will he help push us over the hump and provide some secondary scoring ? Or will be coast along with the newbie NHLers and prove to be nothing more than a serviceable 3rd liner?

Can he man up and be a difference maker through a stretch of very important games?

Old
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
These last 8 games may be crucial for Foligno's future here in Ottawa. Will he help push us over the hump and provide some secondary scoring ? Or will be coast along with the newbie NHLers and prove to be nothing more than a serviceable 3rd liner?

Can he man up and be a difference maker through a stretch of very important games?
Can Spezza, Michalek, Alfie, Turris, Greening, Klinkhammer, Foligno man up in this very important stretch of games might be a better question... We need contributions from all of them... To single out 1 guy playing on the 3rd line saying its crucial for his future is abit much...