HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

It's been 40 years since the last Moon Mission

Old
03-24-2012, 12:44 PM
MP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksociety View Post
Not only do the Americans lack vision within the administration itself, but society in general is distracted from the relationship between pure and applied science. This is made especially clear when anyone questions the value of going into space, human or robotic. The return on investment for the scientific and technical capital is staggering - and people bemoan that you can no longer make $20/hr assembling vacuum cleaners in Peoria.
For me, this problem is by far the most frustrating. It seems like we, as as society, underestimate the importance of raw curiosity in fostering innovation. If there isn't a commercial application, or if no social goal is advanced, financial backing and public interest are proportionately hard to find. People simply don't make the kinds of connections to which you're alluding. As a big believer in the value of research for its own sake, I've found it difficult to coax people out of this mindset.

The first thought that occurs to me--make of this what you will--is that Earth will not be around forever. The more we learn about our planet and the rest of the universe, the more precarious our position appears. Sooner or later, if humanity is to survive, we're going to have to find another place to live. That alone seems like a good reason to give more people more resources with which to investigate the more arcane areas of the physical sciences. When you throw in all the shorter-term, tangible benefits that can come with high-voltage scientific and technical R&D, it seems like a no-brainer. But that rubber hasn't been anywhere close to the road since the Space Race.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:02 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
I will tell you something interesting.

I was at a seminar yesterday. It was with an engineering firm that builds and supplies drilling and associated equipment to mining companies and their contractors.

The speaker said they have been working with a NASA sub-contractor for plans to initiate mining operations on the moon, complete with a surface base with associated infrastructure. Hundreds of billions have already been spent on this.

This is real and not science fiction. Do a google search and you will see this is not a secret

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:15 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
I think the united state or any rich countries should give a little higher percentage of their money to science in general , but I understand a lot of people doesn't really care about that.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Unaffiliated

Looks like there are still people who don't know what's going on.

Listen. Manned missions to the moon have stopped, because manned missions are unfeasible and unnecessary.

Unmanned missions are still going strong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explora...on_exploration

Get the picture?

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

We really should return to the moon, it'd be a prime location to place a theme park!

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:02 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post

This is why.

And it also explains to some ignorant people why the space program is important and worth pursuing.
This is all anyone needs to know.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Elever
Hth

They haven't yet invented something to allow humans to get across the radiation belt without getting destroyed as far as I know so waiting for that....

Besides, going to the moon doesn't help with surveillance, the ISS does that much better.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/AnthonyCumia/stat...39863659384834
Quote:
Watching Moon Machines on SciHD. What an amazing time for America. Now, welfare leaches are more important than innovation & national pride.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

This thread is now in the Science Forum. The rules here are not as loose as in The Lounge. Stick to the topic please.

01-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Diatidialga

Our only hope of a major manned mission anywhere in the near future is with private companies and stuff like this

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Why have we not gone there since?

I know it's extremely expensive and lately there have been some problems with the current rocket design, etc, but to not go there in over 4 decades is odd.

Even if we already know all there is to know about the Moon, you'd think we would have had some other projects in the works by now. Be that some sort of base on the surface or at very least some sort of landing dock.

Am I am the only one who really finds this weird?
who says we have not been back? there maybe a hilton or Burger King up there by now--

A few years ago Bush Sr at a science Q and A did a slip where he suggested that in 87 there was a moon landing, but corrected himself

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:02 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
Meh, I've already been on a Mission to Mars, launched from Walt Disney World. After a rigorous 5 minutes of training, we blasted off, dodged an asteroid field and barely avoided falling into a canyon at the Mars Base. Funny thing is, I apparently walked back.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:20 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Simple reason humans haven't been back to the moon?

Because sending humans to the moon and getting them back alive was the goal in and of itself, and that was reached. It was done so the US could say "First!" instead of the Soviets, and they did.

Like it or not, we're still relying on rocket propulsion to get things into orbit. I'm well aware there are several theoretical forms of space propulsion that are showing promise, but for the meantime, we're stuck with rocket fuel. Just getting things out of the atmosphere is phenomenally expensive and often quite dangerous.

A big problem with the moon is there's not a lot there that humans find convenient, such as air, water or food. Just getting them there and back is difficult enough, but establishing any kind of permanent settlement requires constant resupply missions, each one facing the same potential dangers as the initial mission. Example: the idea of putting a mine there. Establishing a mine requires a VERY large capital investment before anything even gets mined, and that's just building a mine on this planet. Putting one on the moon could very easily bankrupt several nations. Also, even assuming you manage to somehow assemble the trillions of dollars needed to put a mine on the moon and keep it running and supplied long enough for it to mine anything, the problem is how to get the mined ore. It's not going to be trucked off to the refinery, is it? There aren't any of those in orbit that I'm aware of, so that means getting several tons of ore back down the gravity well without creating a new geologic feature resembling the Gulf of Mexico.

A landing dock on the moon? For what? We actually don't have a lot of spaceships lying around. It'd be like a society that just invented the wheel deciding to build a gas station. We just haven't reached the technological level where it's safe or cheap enough to be worth going to the moon on a regular basis, especially as it can't support human life. If we manage to reach that stage without wiping ourselves out first, my guess is none of us will be around to see it. Just my thoughts, anyway.

Last edited by ProstheticConscience: 02-14-2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typos, grammar.
ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote