HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gustav Nyquist

Old
03-22-2012, 03:30 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I thought Nyquist tried doing a bit too much at times. If he had kept it a bit simpler, I think he'd have been better off.
Quote:
It's not an effort thing, it's trying to dangle through three guys instead of making the pass and getting into position to get it back. I think a bit of it was just nerves, though, and trying to impress the coach. He gets another game or two there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him settle down.
They interviewed Gus after the game the other night. He mentioned that during practice, Babcock and his teammates were strongly urging him to hang onto the puck longer. To not dish the puck right away and instead try to wait for a better passing opportunity. So, I think he was mostly just following directions. However, it is clear that he is still getting comfortable with the pace of the game. He can obviously keep up, he just needs get used to it. And also to shoot the puck if the pass isn't there on a 2-on-1! Now that, I think, was nerves.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Henkka

I really like what Nyquist brings now to our Top6. That youth enthusiasm is just great to see. Usually, experienced guys start to play same way every night (if you are not a unpredicable talent like Datsyuk) and that becomes a weakness offensively.

It's like poker player (the veteran player) who always does the same things. He will start to lose even though he is doing nothing wrong, because he comes predictable. You have to break this status quo somehow, and that's what Nyquist is bringing in. He is something different the opposite defencemen have to deal with.

He breaks the status quo, and even though the always-trying-the-same- -veteran is still doing the same, the whole team isn't. And it opens situations for them also.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
wingnutjeff

I would have to say, Gus is earning a spot and probably does not have many more griffins games left to play.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Zaronji

I really like the way Nyquist is developing. Last year, he played 8 games in the AHL and really took that opportunity to learn as much about the game at the AHL level as he could. He took what he learned into off-season training, and he can now demonstrate he's too good for the AHL. The Wings eased him in slowly on the third and fourth lines to get him used to the pace and are now giving him time with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I really feel he's going to take all this (and hopefully some playoff games) into off-season training and come back a much better player next season.

Last edited by Zaronji: 03-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Zaronji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
They interviewed Gus after the game the other night. He mentioned that during practice, Babcock and his teammates were strongly urging him to hang onto the puck longer. To not dish the puck right away and instead try to wait for a better passing opportunity. So, I think he was mostly just following directions. However, it is clear that he is still getting comfortable with the pace of the game. He can obviously keep up, he just needs get used to it. And also to shoot the puck if the pass isn't there on a 2-on-1! Now that, I think, was nerves.
It might not have been nerves, but I think we agree that he'll find that comfort zone to know not to do too much/too little by playing. The guy might even play himself into starting in the playoffs (him or Emmerton, not a hard choice, imo).

This might come off as a bit negative on Datsyuk, though I don't intend it to be, but after watching last night's game, I wonder if part of Gus's problems was a reflection of a larger problem on the top line. Guys just don't seem to be reading Dats well right now. I don't think Gus's game was a wholesale change last night from the other night, but he looked far more comfortable with Z and Flip, and they looked comfortable with him.

03-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Flowah

I think you're 100% right. People aren't giving Dats outlets. They aren't playing with him. I saw numerous times Hudler and Bert go straight to the front of the net instead of an area to catch an obvious pass from Datsyuk.

Is that on the player or on Babcock for saying "just crash the net"? I don't know, but it was frustrating to watch Datsyuk easily gain the zone and have no one available to give it to.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
I think you're 100% right. People aren't giving Dats outlets. They aren't playing with him. I saw numerous times Hudler and Bert go straight to the front of the net instead of an area to catch an obvious pass from Datsyuk.

Is that on the player or on Babcock for saying "just crash the net"? I don't know, but it was frustrating to watch Datsyuk easily gain the zone and have no one available to give it to.
Bert and Dats both missed time, so some rust is to be expected. Hudler's been ignoring everything and heading to the net for awhile now. It's not the worst thing to do, but it hasn't been working well with Dats, Flip and Z.

When we get healthier, I'd be curious to see Hudler with a couple of north/south guys like Helm, Gator, Cleary or Miller. Right now, with Hudler looking to go to the net, he might benefit more playing with guys who are willing to chip it in and then just throw it at the net.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Henkka

Quote:
When we get healthier, I'd be curious to see Hudler with a couple of north/south guys like Helm, Gator, Cleary or Miller. Right now, with Hudler looking to go to the net, he might benefit more playing with guys who are willing to chip it in and then just throw it at the net.
what about:

Mule - Dats - Bert
Flip - Zeta - Nyquist
Huds - Gator - Cleary/Miller (add Helm to center when healthy)

Old
03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Bert and Dats both missed time, so some rust is to be expected. Hudler's been ignoring everything and heading to the net for awhile now. It's not the worst thing to do, but it hasn't been working well with Dats, Flip and Z.

Very astute observations, seriously. I like that about Hudler's game that as a midget, he goes to the front of the net every single time, no questions asked. He doesnt have to be begged to do it, he just does it (cough Bertuzzi).

Maybe you have a point about north/south linemates, but could he keep up with them?

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:59 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
I would have to say, Gus is earning a spot and probably does not have many more griffins games left to play.
mmh, is he even safe to play next game on Saturday?

I mean, if Franzen comes back for that game, who is supposed to be the odd man out?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Run the Jewels

All I want to say at this point is that the second line of Fil-Z-Gus was dynamite against a very good Rangers team. I really wouldn't understand it if that line got broken up given how bad our offense has been lately.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
All I want to say at this point is that the second line of Fil-Z-Gus was dynamite against a very good Rangers team. I really wouldn't understand it if that line got broken up given how bad our offense has been lately.
I didn't watch the whole game so I gotta ask, was Gus really important to that? Flip-Z has been amazing for a while now and it seems to me it doesn't really matter who you plug in on the third.

If Flip-Z gets broke up I'm going to go crazy, but if Gus is swapped out for anyone else I don't think I'll bat an eye.

TheOtherOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
I didn't watch the whole game so I gotta ask, was Gus really important to that? Flip-Z has been amazing for a while now and it seems to me it doesn't really matter who you plug in on the third.

If Flip-Z gets broke up I'm going to go crazy, but if Gus is swapped out for anyone else I don't think I'll bat an eye.
If you have center ice you really should check that game out. Gus was making some really nice plays. A few people were critical of his skill which is kinda funny considering our skilled guys are our most exciting and best players. He made some really great passes that resulted in good scoring chances. He's already proven he's a dominant player at the AHL level, it would seem the best way to continue his development at this point is to have him go up against the best talent in the world.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Question: if Helm can't play in the first round, what would you guys think about Gus replacing Filppula on the second line?

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Hudler
Cleary-Filppula-Miller
Mursak-Abdelkader-Emmerton

Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:20 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Question: if Helm can't play in the first round, what would you guys think about Gus replacing Filppula on the second line?

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-Miller
He'll be ready for sure, he's 25, He's helm - a hard nosed kid... he'll wear a knee brace to stabilitize the knee, take a cortisone shot and maybe some painkillers as well and he'll be good to go.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
He'll be ready for sure, he's 25, He's helm - a hard nosed kid... he'll wear a knee brace to stabilitize the knee, take a cortisone shot and maybe some painkillers as well and he'll be good to go.
Not if he wants to ruin that leg for good. He sits until the 2nd round at least. Didn't they say 4-6 weeks? We are talking 2nd/3rd round here.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-Miller
They may be forced to use Fil as a third line center but that would destroy our one good scoring line. I think it's more likely Abdelkader centers the third and Emmerton centers the fourth. That way we keep the 2nd line more or less intact - I'd take Gus over Hudler but realize that probably will not happen - and let Pavs continue to skate with Bert and Mule.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
They may be forced to use Fil as a third line center but that would destroy our one good scoring line. I think it's more likely Abdelkader centers the third and Emmerton centers the fourth. That way we keep the 2nd line more or less intact - I'd take Gus over Hudler but realize that probably will not happen - and let Pavs continue to skate with Bert and Mule.
I wouldn't be surprised if Babs went with Gus over Hudler. He's been more than willing to put Hudler on the 3rd line in the past, and Flip-Z-Gus passed the eye test in a big way. Or maybe I'm just hoping he goes with Gus over Hudler at this point.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:32 PM
magmatic

Flip- Z - Hudler have been good. If it aint broke dont fix it. Plus its a line of 50 point scorers. why would you but a guy with 10 nhl games and 5 assist over a hudler with 21g and 22 a. I would rather see Bertuzzi moved to the thrid line.

magmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Sameheda

I think Gustav has potential to be dangerous on either the 1st or second. Personally, I see Babs going with Dats, Franz, and Bert on the 1st, and Hank, Fil, and Huds on the 2nd. Which would suck for Nyquist. I'd much rather see him with Hank and Fil and then Hudler on the 3rd line.

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmatic View Post
Flip- Z - Hudler have been good. If it aint broke dont fix it. Plus its a line of 50 point scorers. why would you but a guy with 10 nhl games and 5 assist over a hudler with 21g and 22 a. I would rather see Bertuzzi moved to the thrid line.
Eh, Hudler has 10 points since Feb 1st. I think he'll remain in the top 6 but he obviously goes through stretches where he becomes invisible. With Nyquist he's got the speed, skill and defensive capability to be a big-time contributor on Z's line.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
8snake

The Gus-Hank-Flip line has potential to be very effective, especially in the playoffs. Let's face it, without Helm and Datsyuk clearly not 100% we have almost no speed in this line-up. Gus isn't a great skater, but he has enough quickness and jump to his game to compliment Flip and give Hank some speed on the wings to counter Hank's poor skating.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
The Gus-Hank-Flip line has potential to be very effective, especially in the playoffs. Let's face it, without Helm and Datsyuk clearly not 100% we have almost no speed in this line-up. Gus isn't a great skater, but he has enough quickness and jump to his game to compliment Flip and give Hank some speed on the wings to counter Hank's poor skating.
It's just stupid that the speed is in one line if Gus and Flip are together. There's no speed spread in 1st and 3rd lines then, when Helm is missing and Pav is not 100%.

I still think Nyquist could be almot as effective as Filppula at his spot and move Valtteri to play with Dats until Franzen is back.

Flip - Dats - Bert
Gus - Zeta - Huds

When Mule is back:

Mule - Dats - Bert
Flip - Zeta - Gus

Hudler to 3rd line.