HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Uncle Gary Threatening Lockout (8-9-12)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Alesle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
I think it has to do with the actual percentage of revenue going to the players, from like 58 to 50 percent. I think thats what ive read. I think the NHL has the highest percentage of the sports, but just not as much actual revenue.

sorry if im misinformed
You're quite right. NHL players get 57 % of the league revenue, a lot of people expect it to drop closer to the ~50 % that NFL and NBA players get. A 7 percent points drop would lead to a salary cap drop of around 7 m. Add the expected increased overall revenue from this season and you might end up with it dropping by a couple of millions in total.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The only person I've heard say the cap might fall is Bob Pompeani on the Nightly Sports Call the other day (don't ask why I was watching that). If anyone else has links bring 'em on. Up until this week I thought everyone was assuming the cap would go up, possibly $5 million?
That show is still on? I use to love it. Especially the prank calls. "I wanna know why Bob wears girls panties?" *Alexander starts laughing.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:20 PM
PenguinTommy

I did some more math and here you have the mid-point of salary cap based on players share. (It's all just with no 5% growth)

51% = 54.4 M
52% = 55.5 M
53% = 56.5 M
54% = 57.6 M
55% = 58.7 M
56% = 59.7 M

Keep in mind it's the mid-point, you can add 8 Millions or even 10 to see the Upper limit.
I wouldn't be surprised if cap hit goes slightly down.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Although, every 1% up or down of the players share, could make huge difference when we're talking about league revenue 3.2 BILLION dollars.
With a 3.2 Billion USD dollar league revenue (which would be an increase of nearly 400 M USD from last season) the upper limit, with the 5 % "growth factor", would be around 71,8 M USD with a 57 % player share. With a 50 % player share, and otherwise similar numbers, the upper limit would be around 64,0 M USD.

Edit: Guess I should've read your long post on last page .

Old
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
With a 3.2 Billion USD dollar league revenue (which would be an increase of nearly 400 M USD from last season) the upper limit, with the 5 % "growth factor", would be around 71,8 M USD with a 57 % player share. With a 50 % player share, and otherwise similar numbers, the upper limit would be around 64,0 M USD.
If you check my long post on previous page, I said the exact numbers, so my math is not so bad at all

Old
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Alesle

Quote:
If you check my long post on previous page, I said the exact numbers, so my math is not so bad at all
Yeah I noticed that right after I posted, see my edit .

Old
04-25-2012, 04:49 PM
PenguinTommy

I think the other important thing would be difference between cap hit and cap floor. It's 16M right now, (+8 Million up from Mid-point and -8 Million down).

Owner would probably would like to go 20M (+- 10M), which will lower the cap floor, which is a big factor too, especially for low budget teams.

And that could make salary cap go up to 66.0M.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Master Shake

Teams told to operate as if cap is 70 mill

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ending-636091/

Although the NHL's next labor deal will have a profound impact on how clubs do business, especially when assembling their lineups, Shero is proceeding as if the 2012-13 season will begin on time and without any major changes.

"It's business as usual, for right now," Shero said. "We have to operate [as if] there will be a new season [in the fall]."

Word has circulated that teams should proceed as if the salary-cap ceiling, which was $64.3 million in 2011-12, will be around $69 million or $70 million for next season, and a bump like that could be significant for the Penguins.

Not because they're in immediate peril of losing impact players to free agency -- the list of their players who can test the market on July 1 isn't terribly imposing -- but because Shero is not prepared to abandon the three-center model that helped the Penguins to earn a Cup in 2009

Sidney Crosby and Jordan Staal have one year left on their contracts, and Evgeni Malkin has two. Negotiations with Crosby and Staal can't begin until July 1, so there's no way of knowing precisely what they'll be asking for, but Shero reiterated that his goal is to retain all three.

"I'd like to do that, if possible," he said. "We're looking at hopefully getting extensions with [Crosby and Staal]."

While it is conceivable that Staal, the team's No. 3 center, might want to play elsewhere so he can fill a more offense-oriented role, he apparently has not said anything of the sort to the Penguins. Asked if any of the top three centers had expressed a desire to move, Shero responded, "Absolutely not."

Old
05-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Honour Over Glory

Dumping Martin would not only let them keep both, it'd let them add something significant as well, to the top 6.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Dumping Martin would not only let them keep both, it'd let them add something significant as well, to the top 6.
Id love Shane Doan but I dont think he will leave.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Maybe. But even if the story is true, it is not like the Pens alone would be having their cap increase by $5 or $6 million, the whole league would. All that would mean is that everyone would be competing and paying more.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:03 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Id love Shane Doan but I dont think he will leave.
only way Doan leaves is if the ownership thing is a ruse and the coyotes go to quebec. Even then, he might just retire.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Asked if any of the top three centers had expressed a desire to move, Shero responded, "Absolutely not."[/B]
wow a surprise. And so many here agreed on the "Staal wants to go to Carolina" fan speculation without a second thought.

Old
05-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
wow a surprise. And so many here agreed on the "Staal wants to go to Carolina" fan speculation without a second thought.
we all knew he didn't flat out tell the team he wants to leave.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:09 AM
PenguinTommy

"It's business as usual, for right now," Shero said. "We have to operate [as if] there will be a new season [in the fall]."

It's my understanding that it means, team should operate as if there will be a new season.. in the other words, no lock-out nor delay. It has nothing with 70M salary cap.

I heard it'd just temporary salary cap, until the new CBA. And word is, it will be something around 64M or little bit less.

Maybe I misunderstood that.

Last edited by PenguinTommy: 05-17-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old
05-17-2012, 06:09 AM
JTG

And good teams would be wise not to operate at 70 million.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Master Shake

Quote:

It's my understanding that it means, team should operate as if there will be a new season.. in the other words, no lock-out nor delay. It has nothing with 70M salary cap.

I heard it'd just temporary salary cap, until the new CBA. And word is, it will be something around 64M or little bit less.

Maybe I misunderstood that.

"Word has circulated that teams should proceed as if the salary-cap ceiling, which was $64.3 million in 2011-12, will be around $69 million or $70 million for next season, and a bump like that could be significant for the Penguins."

Old
05-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Master Shake

The cap has almost doubled in a hair over 5 years. The NHLPA doesnt have a damn thing to ask for

Old
05-17-2012, 07:28 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
"Word has circulated that teams should proceed as if the salary-cap ceiling, which was $64.3 million in 2011-12, will be around $69 million or $70 million for next season, and a bump like that could be significant for the Penguins."
I am not saying you're wrong, I'm just sayin that I read a TON of articles that they should NOT spend more than 64M.

We will see.. everything is just a speculation

Old
05-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
That has nothing to do with anything. It would be ridiculously stupid to make moves to a cap that may or may not stand. The CBA could be worked out and the cap moved back down to low 60's. Now all of a sudden, you have to shed all that salary you added.

My take on Shero's business is usual is that he will act as if the season is happening and will make re-sign or let guys walk based on any normal season. If I were him, I'd operate under the same cap guidelines as this season. Maybe you are right ant he goes up to 70 mil, but I think there is a significant risk there.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
The cap has almost doubled in a hair over 5 years. The NHLPA doesnt have a damn thing to ask for
No but the owners do.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
They don't?

The owners got their cost certainty in '05 and put the players over the barrel. I have no idea why people assume the players will bend over again. The NHLPA was vehemently opposed to a cap and still are. It puts a ceiling on what players can earn.

Fehr had been adamant that the players gave major concessions in this CBA and has been blowing off the notion the NHLPA will agree to lower their share.

He has been clear as day in every interview where the NHLPA stands.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

How can the players be un happy? Guys like Mike Rupp & Max Talbot are getting paid. When 4th line players are getting huge contracts I would think the deal is pretty good.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:23 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

There really aren't too many things they have a right to be unhappy about. It's true.

But Fehr will find a way to convince them that they are getting the shaft. You can count on that.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:33 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
How can the players be un happy? Guys like Mike Rupp & Max Talbot are getting paid. When 4th line players are getting huge contracts I would think the deal is pretty good.
The owners are opting out of the CBA. I think the players get around 57% of revenue if my memory serves me correctly, the new standard laid out by the NFL and NBA is closer to a 50-50 split and the cap could actually go down if this happens. These numbers are from (poor) memory so feel free to correct them. I think this has the possibility of getting ugly despite all the optimism that something will get done. As most people here know, nothing ever gets done till the last minute (or later) with these CBA negotiations.

Closed Thread