HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hecht - No Plans to Retire

Old
03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
the scary thing is I cant remember where he even had sustained any of his concussions.
Forsberg gave him one on a cheap hit to the head in the playoffs against the Flyers.

03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
If Jochen goes back to Europe he could probably play for another 5yrs. due to the toned down physicality... and be a bonafide star in the DEL for pretty good money
You're not Mike Johnson, are you?

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Probably has wife kids, responsibilities. etc.
Not probably - he has a wife and two kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I hope for him and his family he walks away from the game before it takes too big of a toll on his long term health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I will miss him when he retires. Hech(t), I miss him now. Maybe I'm biased (Craig Ramsay was my favorite '70s Sabre - does that explain the man-love?), but I firmly believe, had he played the full season, i.e., ~50 more games this year, the Sabres goal differential would be ranked top 10 in the NHL, and not bottom 5. He's that important and his game is that well-rounded. Deserves minutes at any time: ES, PP, PK, 4-on-4, OT, shootout, offensive or defensive faceoffs.
I'm on the fence - out of selfish reasons as a fan, he's always been a favorite of mine for his honest and unheralded work ethic and I'd definitely like to see the Sabres re-sign him in a Grier-type role (1 year deal, $1.5M range) for all of the reasons you cited. But, in an objective view, I worry that another concussion - especially in light of how often they seem to happen in today's NHL - could seriously hurt Hecht as a person and family man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
I don't remember the details but didn't Lafontaine make the same sort of case? Found a Dr's opinion that contrasted the Sabres medical staff's. Said he wasn't done, wanted to keep playing, etc.. Sabres said no and Patty went to the Rangers.

Afterwards, Pat said he should have retired and is now an avid spokesperson on the harmful effects of concussions.
Actually, LaFontaine has been pretty clear in several recent interviews that he doesn't regret at all playing another season after the Buffalo concussion he had in '96 because he said the doubts he would have had about quitting too soon (had he retired in Buffalo) would have haunted him. When he experienced that concussion as a Ranger shortly after the one he had in '96, he accepted that the risks outweighed the rewards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
I'm not really surprised. I expect him two play one or two years over here with his hometown team Mannheim. He's still a fan favorite and the league is relatively soft. (even though it's the 2nd "toughest" league in Europe)
What would be sad to see is the Sabres passing on Hecht this summer, and him signing with a cellar dweller like Columbus or the Islanders to finish out his NHL career. He'd be at risk yet wasting away his final days IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Blitz
All JACKED up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
You're not Mike Johnson, are you?
Maybe.... Why do you ask pray-tell?

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Considering the volume of players that have received multiple concussions in their careers, and have spoken out about their quality of life issues post playing days because of those concussions, I think it's a safe assumption to say if Hecht keeps getting his bell rung the long term affects are only going to get worse.
How many players have spoken out? It makes a big news splash when they do, but it seems like a tiny minority compared to the numbers who sustained multiple concussions and retired without suffering adverse effects. I'm fine with Hecht continuing to play if he's cleared by the Sabres medical staff. That has yet to be determined. If he's not cleared, as was the case with Lafontaine, then he should hang up the skates.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

This is awesome news, good for him!

He's got some good years of hockey ahead of him for sure.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:48 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
How many players have spoken out? It makes a big news splash when they do, but it seems like a tiny minority compared to the numbers who sustained multiple concussions and retired without suffering adverse effects. I'm fine with Hecht continuing to play if he's cleared by the Sabres medical staff. That has yet to be determined. If he's not cleared, as was the case with Lafontaine, then he should hang up the skates.
Speaking out and suffering adverse effects are two totally different things.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:19 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Actually, LaFontaine has been pretty clear in several recent interviews that he doesn't regret at all playing another season after the Buffalo concussion he had in '96 because he said the doubts he would have had about quitting too soon (had he retired in Buffalo) would have haunted him. When he experienced that concussion as a Ranger shortly after the one he had in '96, he accepted that the risks outweighed the rewards.
I have not heard or read those interviews.... Doesn't mean I doubt you.... It's just new perspective for me. I definitely heard him say that he had doubts at first (when thinking about retiring) but came to realize that the risks outweigh the rewards.

He is without question one of the leading advocates on the seriousness of concussions because he said he realized he had more to lose than just hockey. And wants to make sure others understand that as well.

Maybe I'm putting words in his mouth but that what I came away with after listening to him here a couple of years ago. Which is the point that I hope Hecht comes to realize before it's too late.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Maybe.... Why do you ask pray-tell?
Mike Johnson came to our team and was promoted as a huge star. He was the biggest name that came into the league to play a full season in the last couple of years. But he just didn't took European hockey serious. For him it was more like an advanture, a place to play hockey just for fun. He just had 13 points in 28 games and his influence in the locker room was pretty bad, that's one of the reasons we went from runner-up to second to the last.
What you wrote sounds a bit too easy to me. And that's what Mike Johnson thought about European hockey, too.

Quote:
If Jochen goes back to Europe he could probably play for another 5yrs. due to the toned down physicality... and be a bonafide star in the DEL for pretty good money
He's already 34, turning 35 before next season. He won't play for 5 years from now in professional hockey. I also don't think that he'd be a bonafide star anymore. This league isn't that bad. He might be a star player, but I stronly doubt that he'd be the best player on a team. Even a Jochen Hecht has to work very hard to be one of the best players, other players in the league play for their living. That's why you can't come to Europe and automatically become one of the best players.

I think he'd get a good pay though, but that's just because of his name and his hometown team which has the (2nd?) most money in the entire league.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
I have not heard or read those interviews.... Doesn't mean I doubt you.... It's just new perspective for me. I definitely heard him say that he had doubts at first (when thinking about retiring) but came to realize that the risks outweigh the rewards.

He is without question one of the leading advocates on the seriousness of concussions because he said he realized he had more to lose than just hockey. And wants to make sure others understand that as well.

Maybe I'm putting words in his mouth but that what I came away with after listening to him here a couple of years ago. Which is the point that I hope Hecht comes to realize before it's too late.
Just another reason why we can't let that piece of **** Dale Hunter make the playoffs as a coach.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:08 AM
detroitfan83

He should think of his long-term health and retire. I would think it would be better to have good mental health, so you can enjoy life outside of hockey when he does decide to retire.

detroitfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

NHL Live has been chronicling all season long the progress of the Long Island Royals kids team LaFontaine is coaching in a "Making of a Royal" series - and have had him on several times as guest, often to talk about his own experiences relative to what Crosby and other NHLers now with concussions are going through. He said the '96 concussion that he had in Buffalo was his 2nd (the previous one was suffered several years earlier while on Long Island) and he also said, as painful as the rehab process was from that one, he didn't accept the Sabres' medical recommendations about quitting his career then. However, when he suffered his 3rd concussion as a Ranger a year later, he understood the risks and retired with his family's support without facing any regrets.

I think I read that Hecht has had 3 concussions in the past 2 years so one has to think the risk of brain damage from a 4th concussion is far greater than it was with LaFontaine when he retired.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
NHL Live has been chronicling all season long the progress of the Long Island Royals kids team LaFontaine is coaching in a "Making of a Royal" series - and have had him on several times as guest, often to talk about his own experiences relative to what Crosby and other NHLers now with concussions are going through. He said the '96 concussion that he had in Buffalo was his 2nd (the previous one was suffered several years earlier while on Long Island) and he also said, as painful as the rehab process was from that one, he didn't accept the Sabres' medical recommendations about quitting his career then. However, when he suffered his 3rd concussion as a Ranger a year later, he understood the risks and retired with his family's support without facing any regrets.

I think I read that Hecht has had 3 concussions in the past 2 years so one has to think the risk of brain damage from a 4th concussion is far greater than it was with LaFontaine when he retired.

Many thanks! I will definitely look for that.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:47 AM
dkollidas

gotta say, I would think he should probably retire, but, if he does indeed choose to play another year. I'd rather have him here. He's good in the locker room, solid defensively, can chip in some goals, play all 3 forward positions, adds great depth, and if he plays 50 or so games, I consider that a success. The guy has been playing his whole life, the decision is for him and his family to make, not us fans, if he wants to come back, I'd rather have him here than anywhere else, 1yr-$1.5M sounds perfect.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:52 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
gotta say, I would think he should probably retire, but, if he does indeed choose to play another year. I'd rather have him here. He's good in the locker room, solid defensively, can chip in some goals, play all 3 forward positions, adds great depth, and if he plays 50 or so games, I consider that a success. The guy has been playing his whole life, the decision is for him and his family to make, not us fans, if he wants to come back, I'd rather have him here than anywhere else, 1yr-$1.5M sounds perfect.
Who said it wasn't?

Posters are offering their opinions on the matter. Thats how we roll on HF

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
LW Jochen Hecht, who's 29 games with a concussion, says he's been symptom-free for about two weeks, but still hasn't been cleared for contact.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391600

Sounds like another controversy brewing between what the Sabres' medical staff believes and what the player believes....

Old
03-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

Sounds like another controversy brewing between what the Sabres' medical staff believes and what the player believes....
I'd rather be on the safe side in this, for his sake most of all.

I think he's a very good player, a loyal guy and great human being by all accounts, it'd be a shame to screw up the rest of his life because of a premature return in the twilight of his career.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:26 AM
joshjull

Quote:

I think it's a bit early to start arguing there is a conflict. If he is symptom free for two weeks it means he's only been able to work out for a week. Since they usually wait until a player is symptom free for a week to start working them hard. It's not hard to imagine after being out as long as he was that he isnt up to full speed yet. Something that is necessary before clearing someone for full contact.

Old
03-29-2012, 07:30 AM
ohheyimmark

If he gets cleared for practice, does he come off LTIR? If not, I can't imagine them clearing him unless and until we make the playoffs...

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Sabresfansince1980

If his pipe dream comes true and he's TRULY ready to play for the playoffs, we could have a very nice 4th line of Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes. Kaleta could move up to replace Tropp with Hodgson and Vanek. OR...Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta and Vanek-Hodgson-Boyes?

Not that it will happen, but that would be a real nice problem to have to figure out.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:29 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
If his pipe dream comes true and he's TRULY ready to play for the playoffs, we could have a very nice 4th line of Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes. Kaleta could move up to replace Tropp with Hodgson and Vanek. OR...Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta and Vanek-Hodgson-Boyes?

Not that it will happen, but that would be a real nice problem to have to figure out.
Boyes doesn't bring enough to the table to try and keep in the lineup. He certainly doesnt belong on any of the top 3 lines. If we make the playoffs and Hecht is ready to go then Boyes comes out. Then we would have a 4th line of Gerbe/Hecht/Kaleta.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Sabresfansince1980

In no way would I say this is a no-brainer, but Boyes does work the boards fairly well when he's on the wing. So what does Tropp bring to the table that Boyes does not? You'd have to admit that despite Boyes downturn, he still has a better scoring touch than Tropp. Boyes would be a bit more dangerous playing with talent as opposed to filling in at an off position between Cody and Turnbull/Kaleta.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
In no way would I say this is a no-brainer, but Boyes does work the boards fairly well when he's on the wing. So what does Tropp bring to the table that Boyes does not? You'd have to admit that despite Boyes downturn, he still has a better scoring touch than Tropp. Boyes would be a bit more dangerous playing with talent as opposed to filling in at an off position between Cody and Turnbull/Kaleta.
Arguing for Boyes over Tropp is just messed up.

Tropp has more value to this team than Boyes.

Boyes has 6 goals in 62 games. Tropp has 3 in 30. Neither have a scoring touch. Tropp plays ~13 mins a game. Boyes plays ten or less.

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Leino-Roy-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta

I don't see Hecht returning anyways, so it's moot.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
I wonder if this is related to cap space, etc.

Even with goose gone we've been using alot of the cap space on call ups. Could we insert Hecht into the lineup if we wanted to?

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

NHL teams aren't allowed to not clear players in order to keep them on LTIR and save space. The league considers that cap circumvention. The Sabres were questioned about this a couple years ago with Connolly.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote