HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes 3 Oilers 2 SHOOTOUT

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I've been a huge fan of Petry's since his Freshman year in college, I've never doubted his potential even when many were writing him off in his sophomore year because MSU was putrid and it reflected on his stats.

As for Eager, his fights are just a tad more effective than the other guys, he can actually scrap a bit. Ask Mike Brown.
It was actually you I listened to in regards to Petry. Always kept it in mind.

I still think he's a gooder, don't get me wrong at all. Just that the swing overaction thats occurred here now has him as a stud.

I think on a good contending team he's top 4. But not shutdown.

Old
03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Stoneman89

Are we allowed to critisize Gagner tonight since we didn't win?

Anyhow he was brutal in the game, and especially on the PP in the OT. Too bad Eager wasn't healthy, we could have played him in Gagner's place.

Old
03-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was one of the few people here giving Petry credit and benefit of doubt here last season. If you remember correctly most of the board were busy burying him.
Not me. Never buried him, even with his brain farts as a rookie. I like Petry as much as you like Gagner. lol. Bad night tonight. But I'll brush it off (it was one game, one). Like Bryan, I've always been high on Petry since he was drafted. And for what it's worth, like Bryan, I was high on Schremp. HAHAHAHAH. Good night folks.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
It was actually you I listened to in regards to Petry. Always kept it in mind.

I still think he's a gooder, don't get me wrong at all. Just that the swing overaction thats occurred here now has him as a stud.

I think on a good contending team he's top 4. But not shutdown.
Totally agreed, petry is getting massively overated on these forums aftrer some good games. He's made horrible gaffs in each of the last two games. He is playing well overall but if he can't elimimate those terrible plays he will just end up being gilbert 2.0

Old
03-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Totally agreed, petry is getting massively overated on these forums aftrer some good games. He's made horrible gaffs in each of the last two games. He is playing well overall but if he can't elimimate those terrible plays he will just end up being gilbert 2.0
Gee, and here I thought Gilbert was a superstar stud by what some people on here were saying when he was traded and even now by others.

Petry is 24 years old but still young in his position and this is really only his first full year at that. We waited for Smid and I think we can all agree it was well worth it. People need to be patient. Gagner on the other hand just sucks all the time.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Which has more to do with people on this board developing a particular dislike for certain players than what said players actually bring to the table.

Citing what this board would want on this matter is specious. Pretty much everybody here, including cup of oil, felt the brule trade was a steal and Raffi junk. Pretty much everybody here felt Eager would be better.

Hows that working for ya.
let it go. Raffi has been gone for how long now?

It doesn't matter. He's gone, he's not an Oiler. Move on.

Now you have to say that "people thought the Brule trade was awesome", honestly what's the point? So that in hindsight you were right and people were wrong?

good on ya.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Petry made some really nice plays tonight but seemed to be overwhelmed on occasion by Phoenix's forecheck. The Coyotes have some big bodies that make life tough for the opposition defenders behind the net. Smid did fine (no surprise) but Petry seemed to be shying away from contact tonight, which was disappointing. He's been playing pretty physical as of late.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Now you have to say that "people thought the Brule trade was awesome", honestly what's the point? So that in hindsight you were right and people were wrong?

good on ya.
Its not important that I'm right, its important that the org was dead wrong.

Also its relevant and I discuss it occasionally as part of the theme here that people are always tired of the outgoing player here and prefer the incoming player. No matter how bad the exchange. Torres-Brule just being a classic example of the dynamic.

The other thing is people tend to prefer the prospect with assumed greater potential than the guys that are actually known quantities. Thats an odd one because I'd rather have the established player in vast majority of instances. But this particular board is heavy on prefering the prospect side of things.

I bring up examples from time to time to dispel the notions.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Gagner had no business being out there, we had absolutely no down low presence, we should've had Smyth or even Harski in front of the net.
Gagner has been playing like a PP vacuum lately.

Smyth has been one of the best forwards in front of the net on the power play in the entire league for the last 15 years, why he hasnt really gotten the chance this year IDK.

And yes I can complain about the leagues best power play, it cost us an extra point today IMO. The personnel choices made no sense as said by other posters already.

Not surprising that Eberle took multiple hard hits tonight, other clubs know we wont respond and that Renney and the boys are okay with plugs injuring our star players. Time for this "team" to grow a pair.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

Replacement is always quick to remind us when he was right, and we were wrong. It was not too long ago when he was about ready to give the Wild the western conference.

Just brush it aside.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

Eberle took three hits that could have put him out of the lineup for more than a few games. His head must be made of steel!

Harski and Hemsky seem to like playing with each other. I did not notice Gagner too much. I am not saying he played poorly; he was just not getting as much chances as his linemates, except for his glorious chance late in the third.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Anyway, the Oilers still have a chance for 30+ wins and 70 points, which is a target that I have set for them right now.

3 wins in 10 games. Very doable.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'm kinda surprised that we made it to OT. They're usually a hard team to play against. Sucks to see Petry cost us that goal so late in the game.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

good on ya.
I just hope I dont have to see quotes about how awesome Gilbert is for the next 6 years every time he makes a play against us.

Torres had a good 3rd period tonight, doesnt change the fact that he is a loser who quit on this team and played his way off the roster.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:31 PM
McLotto 97

vCash: 761
Hartski was good this game strong on his feet.
Omark....he needs to play smarter to get top minutes.
Gagner...my god where did you go? When was his last good game? How are we going to trade you if you have no trade value? No compete what so ever
Hemsky played inspired hockey. Hartski and him played well. Maybe stick Belanger with them..can't be any worse than 89

DD is playing really good positionally. I notice when he moves laterally he is starting to stay more square to the net. Giving opponents less to shot at. He needs now to work on moving laterally with more explosiveness to get across the net quicker.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:33 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Replacement is always quick to remind us when he was right, and we were wrong. It was not too long ago when he was about ready to give the Wild the western conference.

Just brush it aside.
Wait two years when the Wild win the division...Replacement will come back to tell us how he was right however was simply pointing out the incorrect opinion of HF on their analysis of the demise this year of the Wild.

Hindsight...what a wonderful gift.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Don't get too down. With your forwards the Oil will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. We seem to develop defensmen. Perhaps the two teams can deal a little in the off season.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Don't get too down. With your forwards the Oil will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. We seem to develop defensmen. Perhaps the two teams can deal a little in the off season.
We'd love OEL without giving up one of Eberle, Hall, or RNH

A man can dream can't he?

Old
03-18-2012, 11:51 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Petry had a bad game...since they play 82 in a year everyone is bound to have one or two of those.

this game is a typical "bad team can't beat a good team when all else is basically even". These sorts of games are pretty well why certain teams are simply better than others.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:51 PM
vb

Quote:
Gagner had no business being out there, we had absolutely no down low presence, we should've had Smyth or even Harski in front of the net.
Agreed and Gags was gassed from his first shift in ot.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

This team desperately needs Grigorenko. I hope we continue to be competitive, but at the same time, I am scared of catching up to the Wild and Canadiens.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:59 PM
doulos

Torres is a decent toolbox player that can't bring it consistently enough and rips off at last one or two atrociously boneheaded moves that embarass the team he played for.

The Oilers were lucky that in 2006 his boneheaded move wasn't punished more severely when he exploded Michalek and it turned out to be the turning point of that series.

Torres destroyed Seabrook in the playoffs last year and from that point on the Hawks were all over the Canucks right up until OT of Game 7. He's a tool that has some useful skills but costs his team in ways that clubs eventually tire of and then he gets shipped elsewhere for some other unlucky club to try and "fix him"

Old
03-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Qrispy

Whitney sucks on the PP. Ugh..why do they keep putting him out there?

Old
03-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Oh well. As always, I blame Renney.
Eberle now has 70 points! First Oiler to do that since Hemsky a la 2007-2008.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:08 AM
metallicat

Can you guys PLEASE lose the Harski nickname?

Closed Thread