HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Who will the Blues play in the 1st round?

View Poll Results: Who will the Blues face in the 1st round?
Colorado 5 12.20%
Dallas 4 9.76%
San Jose 15 36.59%
Phoenix 6 14.63%
Kings 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Spektre

vCash: 50
Who will the Blues play in the 1st round?

Do you have a preference on who we play? If the playoffs started today we'd play Colorado. If I had to lay money on it I'd say that Colorado doesn't even get in. The biggest reason is the # of games they've played vs who they're competing against for that spot.

I'm thinking LA winds up winning the Pacific and Dallas gets the 8th seed. The Kings have 3 games left with SJ.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Market Street Heroes

vCash: 500
I'm hoping for San Jose, we own them.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Do you have a preference on who we play? If the playoffs started today we'd play Colorado. If I had to lay money on it I'd say that Colorado doesn't even get in. The biggest reason is the # of games they've played vs who they're competing against for that spot.

I'm thinking LA winds up winning the Pacific and Dallas gets the 8th seed. The Kings have 3 games left with SJ.
Actually Colorado is NOT the team in the 8th spot. Other teams have multiple games in hand and playing out the string, they're current point production wouldn't translate into a top 8 spot.

Isn't this PocketNines' job to point out these little discrepancies?

That said, I have no preference other than wanting to avoid Nashville/Detroit/Vancouver longer if possible. If the Blues finish first and #6 Chicago upsets the #3 team, the Blues could avoid all three of those above teams until the WCF (assuming the Blues take care of their business). I think that's the ideal outcome.

Colorado, San Jose, L.A., even Chicago. If the Blues can't win a playoff series against those teams then they aren't truly Cup contenders at all. I have less of a feel for Dallas, but I think they'll win the division.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:07 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

I think Calgary should be an option. They're still in the fight.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Street Heroes View Post
I'm hoping for San Jose, we own them.
I too look forward to the comments between these matchups.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I really don't care who we play, personally. But I'd like to match up against San Jose. I don't like them, at all. We've kicked their ass this year, and I still want payback for the 99-00 season.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
BlueDream

Guessing LA. I think one of SJ/DAL wins the division and the other finishes 7th.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:55 PM
STL fan in IA

According to sportsclubstats.com, the Blues most likely opponent is Phoenix at 18%. Check the link for the percentages for the other teams. Of course, those percentages will change as each game is played.

Varlamov doesn't really scare me at all so I suppose the best matchup for the Blues would be the Avs but I don't think they'll make the playoffs either. From a personal standpoint, I'd prefer PHX as I've got a friend that works for them and could likely get free tickets for the games down there! SJ would likely be a good matchup for the Blues as well.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Linus

vCash: 526
Detroit and Nashville are still options as well.

Out of that list, though, I think Colorado probably misses because of the games in hand that the other teams hold. I wouldn't want to face Lehtonen, who has never given up more than 2 goals in a game against the Blues. I don't think that any team will be easy to face, but I would rather face SJ or LA. But SJ has experience and LA has gotten better with Carter.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:33 PM
ZomboIsGod

I'm not going to wish for "anyone" because I don't want to eat some more of that crow..

I think Phoenix and Dallas have the least amount of talent on paper (Calgary has even less talent than them but they are not an option here).

SJ/LAK are both ridiculously underachieving but still have a ton of talent that would cause any team in the NHL fits..

Colorado is a wildcard because they always play the Blues close and we haven't proven we can beat them at their place. Also Varlamov has suddenly become a game-changer

I'll say we get the Kings though

ZomboIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

3. SJ (.577) +11, 11GR, 29 ROW
7. DAL (.576) +11, 10GR, 33 ROW
8. LA (.569) +10, 10GR, 30 ROW
9. PHX (.568) +10, 9GR, 30 ROW
10. COL (.561) +9, 8GR, 30 ROW
11. CGY (.555) +8, 9GR, 31 ROW

Blues will have plenty to say about Phoenix' chances as they meet twice in each team's final 9 games. Once each for LA and Dallas. If the Blues have clinched stuff by then, that Dallas game on the final day of the season is a likely player rest day, which gives the Stars an edge.

Everything is so close it's honestly random to guess. LA plays San Jose three times still, that will go a long way for one to knock the other out.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
jimmykay

I'm pulling for Phx because I have a Uncle-in-law that just moved down there 2 years ago and I enjoy giving him as much crap as I can.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Remaining schedules:

SJ – vs. ANA, @ LA, vs. BOS, vs. PHX, vs. COL, @ ANA, @ PHX, vs. DAL, @ DAL, @ LA, vs. LA
DAL – vs. PHX, vs. VAN, vs. CGY, @ CGY, @ EDM, @ VAN, @ SJ, vs. SJ, @ NSH, vs. STL
LA – vs. SJ, vs. STL, vs. BOS, @ VAN, @ CGY, @ EDM, @ MIN, vs. EDM, vs. SJ, @ SJ
PHX – @ DAL, vs. COL, @ SJ, vs. STL, vs. SJ, vs. ANA, vs. CBJ, @ STL, @ MIN
COL – vs. CGY, @ PHX, vs. VAN, @ SJ, @ VAN, @ CGY, vs. CBJ, vs. NSH
CGY – @ COL, @ MIN, @ DAL, vs. DAL, vs. LA, vs. COL, @ VAN, vs. VAN, vs. ANA

There's so much competition among the teams it's really like a mini-playoffs right now. By watching these games you can really tell who's playing well. I've been watching tons of these games. My assessment:

– Calgary is banged up, fighting hard but not enough in the tank and would be an easy opponent for the Blues, who match up well. I think they're the easiest to see will miss, and not because they're sitting in 11th now. It's just the way they're playing. It's one thing for Columbus to play the Blues hard, but in Calgary? Calgary did have by far the easiest schedule and they've blown it.

– LA is hit or miss. People say they're dangerous if they get in. They've never scared me, and I watch a lot of their games. They're tough to score against but they generate very, very, very few scoring chances themselves, and I don't see that suddenly starting against the Blues. Especially a healthy Blues. Quick is truly awesome but even with Carter they're very unimpressive. They also don't have all that much heart. Nobody's more overrated than Doughty and Richards. Richards is a stiff.

– Phoenix impress me. They fight and show resilience in most of their games. They had a brief swoon to start March that cost them a lead in the division they'd earned with a great February (they were really, really playing well in February). But they're fighting back from two goals down on the road, they're not a give-up team. Extremely well coached. Been getting great, clutch goaltending from Mike Smith. Leadership from Doan. An unheralded impact D in OEL, who is their #1. Yandle is an underappreciated player. Their whole D is solid. Klesla is healthy and playing very well. They are a team who could give the Blues problems potentially, because they're used to coming from behind, they don't go away in games.

– Dallas has been hot lately, but they're not as deep as the teams at the top of the West. Obviously Ryder, Benn, Eriksson are having great seasons. Lehtonen is the key, though. Without him playing lights out they're very beatable. They're the kind of team that just feels like automatically results in some injuries. Wouldn't hate them playing Chicago (if they're the 3 seed) or Vancouver (if they're the 7-seed). Don't really want the Blues to play them from the injuries perspective. Chicago and Vancouver would win but it would cost them.

– San Jose just doesn't scare me at all from a matchup perspective. Even in the playoffs, even with the Sharks' playoff experience. They're 4-5 forwards deep. They have Pavelski, Couture, Marleau and Chokin' Joe. Maybe Havlat, but he's soft and streaky. Their supplementary scoring is very weak. Their D is not as good. They're slower. Their goaltending sucks. I think Hitchcock is a better playoff coach. I'm generally rooting for them to miss the playoffs (and get the crappy 14th draft pick). They really lost something offensively losing Setoguchi and Heatley and their supporting cast hasn't filled the gap.

– Colorado I think would give the Blues a real series, because they've been playing very well and I think they would go into it fairly relaxed with nothing to lose. The trade looms large and would provide motivation. Downie was the best deadline acquisition, and Landeskog is incredibly good and clutch. If they got some great goaltending it would be tough. Still, I think their defense is quite weak as a total unit so if the Blues struggled to finish it could be a long series. If the Blues convert their chances it would be a short series.

Last edited by PocketNines: 03-19-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old
03-19-2012, 04:20 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Nice breakdown.

Calgary would be ideal. The Flames would be a team where the Blues would be pretty much guaranteed to be up 2-0 after the two games at the Scotty. That's when you know a team would be a good draw. There's a reason they aren't making the playoffs.

I don't know why but the Kings don't scare me. Both team's power play are in the same realm (though the Blues is better) and both teams are very solid on the PK. I'll take my chances against them anyday of the week in a series mostly decided at even strength.

Phoenix is a team that everybody said would be a tough out the last two seasons but hasn't quite materialized. But they have made some genuinely good additions since last year (Vermette), sent out some dead wood (Turris), and added a big piece to the blueline fulltime as OEL will get his first taste of playoff action. This series would also set new records for the amount of time Hitch would use the work "check" in a post-morning skate session with reporters. I wouldn't mind this matchup.

Dallas has a very underrated lineup with some playoff tested players. The aren't deep up front but have a versatile group of top 6 forwards that have really given the Blues fits over the last 2-3 years. They have some heavy defenseman that really can punish you and, as P9's alluded to, it would be a real war with the Stars. That said, they don't scare me like a pair of other teams...

...like the Avalanche, who despite being loose defensively and despite having 9 shootout wins, would really scare me with the speed their forwards bring up front. Shatty and Stewart might be slightly more uncomfortable (I can just envision a jubliant EJ giving a post-game interview with Jim Hayes after they win the series trying to stay humble but using the "nobody believed in me" card)...I'm genuinely never confident when the Blues go into their building which would be troubling if we don't hold serve at home.

And then there's the Sharks...we know the recent history, we know the mental fragility, we know the season series record...but I wouldn't like the eerie similarity to 1999-00 and I really don't want to face that roster in the first round. And I don't think we will as they'll win the Pacific in my opinion.

So to summarize, the team's I'd like to see the least...

1. San Jose
2. Colorado
3. Dallas
4. Phoenix
5. Los Angeles
6. Calgary

Last edited by TheOrganist: 03-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
TheOrganist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Love reading through San Jose GDTs when they're losing. Before any goals are scored in that thread they're already trolling us, hating us as fans, hating Shattenkirk randomly and specifically.

They have a gutless team. They're the worst fans in the world. I love their misery, so as long as they miss out and their fans suffer disappointment, it's fine whomever the Blues play.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:46 PM
BlueNote57

If were going to go far in this years playoffs were going to end up playing some great teams, so I don't mind facing a tough opponent right away. That said, I would like to start a series with one of the lesser physical teams like a LA or SJ. I think we beat any of those teams but I fear Colorado & Dallas more that the rest. Colorado had our number for a while and Lehtonen always seems to have a great game against us.

BlueNote57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:40 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Updated thru Monday:
3. DAL (.576) +11, 10GR, 33 ROW
7. LA (.569) +10, 10GR, 30 ROW

8. SJ (.569) +10, 10GR, 29 ROW
9. PHX (.568) +10, 9GR, 30 ROW
10. COL (.561) +9, 8GR, 30 ROW
11. CGY (.555) +8, 9GR, 31 ROW

Olive color all teams eligible to get 3-seed.

Epic day in this race tomorrow:
Phoenix (9) at Dallas (3) – a Phoenix regulation win puts them ahead of Dallas, a Dallas win gets them at least +2 clear of the cutoff
Calgary (11) at Colorado (10) – any Calgary win puts them ahead of Colorado, a Colorado win gets them to +10
San Jose (8) at LA (7) – winner will be +11 and in 3-seed if Phoenix wins in regulation

Last edited by PocketNines: 03-19-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old
03-20-2012, 12:34 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

It just dawned on me, if the Blues play the Coyotes I have a decent chance to be able to attend a game there.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:49 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
It just dawned on me, if the Blues play the Coyotes I have a decent chance to be able to attend a game there.
just let us know, that way i can act a fool in the gdt

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Spektre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
They have a gutless team. They're the worst fans in the world. I love their misery, so as long as they miss out and their fans suffer disappointment, it's fine whomever the Blues play.

I'll drink to that

I hate San Jose, that is all.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:59 AM
econoar

My money is on Phoenix but regardless, it looks like we are going to have some late nights.

econoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

I selfishly hope Colorado gets the 8th seed so I can go to games 3 & 4 in Denver.

PHX may be in a bit of trouble if what Bob says is true:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Doan threw out a chicken wing elbow into head of DAL's Jamie Benn. Two minute minor, Benn finished game but suspension seems rather obvious.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:03 AM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Love reading through San Jose GDTs when they're losing. Before any goals are scored in that thread they're already trolling us, hating us as fans, hating Shattenkirk randomly and specifically.

I'm glad other fans see those people for what they are. At this rate you may be playing the Wings. I know the Blues are not the team I wanna play first round sans-Helm. I hope you play the Sharks and beat the poop out of them.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

You know if Detroit is going to freefall, can they fall to seventh and beat up the Canucks?

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Spektre

I can't see Det falling to 7th but they may get lucky and actually wind up at #6.

Whoever winds up #6 kind of gets the bonus of playing the #3 seed (Dallas, LA, Phoenix or SJ). Not that those teams suck but it's probably better than the alternative.