HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Swedish interview with Cam Abbott suffering from post concussion symptoms

Old
03-19-2012, 02:35 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

vCash: 500
Swedish interview with Cam Abbott suffering from post concussion symptoms

Swedish television made a reportage about post concussion syndrome with Cam Abbott from LuleŚ (Elitserien) in the program "ask the doctor". It gives you some insight of what the player is going through and it is mostly in Swedish but the Cam interview is all in english and it starts at 7:00 and finishes at 15:30.

Cam has been out for more than a year and he hopes to be back but future will tell.

I highly recommend it because there are things I think some of us were not aware of.

http://svtplay.se/t/102774/fraga_doktorn

feel free to get my words and spelling right.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
deeshamrock

That was a terriic interview, a small insight into the nightmare some of these players live throught .My heart ached for that kid...and he was very honest in revealing his fears. I'm glad he mentioned the mental part of the process that is affected by a cerebral contusion, that a brain bruise affects you mentally as well, those areas that take a longer amount of time to heal and how frustrating it must be living thru that period.

You can see why NHL players who return to play after a concussion usually are not the same for awhile. And I have seen it in Mike Richards, having watched him play for 7 years. That's why I think Gagne should really think long and hard about his future , he has a baby and a toddler at home, and a life to give them. Chris Pronger's wife recently said he is no better and you could hear the fear in her voice.

Post Concussion Syndrome affects each patient differently ,but even the mild ones usuall take 3 months or more to go away, sometimes up to a year. These would be the common symtoms.

(http://www.adhd.com.au/Post_concussion_Syndrome.htm)

The cluster of symptoms reported by these patients is referred to as the Post-concussion syndrome. The following are amongst the most commonly reported symptoms of post-concussion syndrome [4, 6].

Attention deficits, difficulty sustaining mental effort.
Fatigue and tiredness
Impulsivity, irritability
Low frustration threshold
Temper outbursts and changes in mood
Learning and memory problems
Impaired planning and problem solving
Inflexibility, concrete thinking
Lack of initiative
Dissociation between thought and action
Communication difficulties
Socially inappropriate behaviours
Self-centeredness and lack of insight
Poor self-awareness
Impaired balance
Dizziness and Headaches [6, 15, 18, 19]
Personality changes [20, 21]

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:59 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

After seeing this I wouldn't hold anything against a player hanging up his skates after going through something like this or even remotely close to this. I knew it was tough but coming back after a concussion but are you kidding me this is way beyond tough. Chemical changes to your brain shifting personalities back and forth and some of them may be permanent.

Cam made this interview cause he wanted to highlight what (could and more so do) happen after the headshots and it has to stop.

It is heart aching watching someone stop doing what he loves the most above all.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:31 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Just wanted to let you know that Cam is back in action and scored for his LuleŚ today.
I'm happy for him, he went through hell during his concussion.