HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Differences in hockey surfaces (roller hockey)

Old
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Differences in hockey surfaces (roller hockey)

Just getting into hockey,

was wondering if a wrister is harder or easier to do on a concrete rink (smooth concrete) vs. the type of surface they use at indoor inline rinks?

I tried to search for this on the forum but came up empty, feel free to delete if this has been asked before.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Ozz

Even smooth concrete can have its lumps. As long as you have a smooth area to shoot on, your shot shouldn't be compromised much if at all.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:46 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
varying roller surfaces have very little to no effect with respect to shooting ability. it mostly affects skating.

the only way the surface affects shooting is if you take a bunch of slapshots... your stick blade will be taking lots of abuse and therefore not last as long.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
do0glas

thanks for the responses!

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:46 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Just getting into hockey,

was wondering if a wrister is harder or easier to do on a concrete rink (smooth concrete) vs. the type of surface they use at indoor inline rinks?

I tried to search for this on the forum but came up empty, feel free to delete if this has been asked before.
I think there is a difference. If you load the stick (which you should do to shoot properly) it is MUCH easier on rougher surfaces as the blade will not silde as easily. I shot thousands of pucks from a shooting pad, and even though the mechanics are the same I had some adjustment necessary to transfer the skill to ice. On the reverse, if I play roller once in a while I realize that I can load the stick much easier than on the ice.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote