HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jack Johnson on CBC After Hours

Old
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Jack has 1 more goal and point than Voynov since the trade. And Voynov is a +6, same system that was "holding" Jack back.

Voynov doesn't play the same minutes either.

I take the Jack's top 4 spot (Voynov)+Carter for Jack+1st every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Yep, Carter and Voynov for Johnson and a 1st is how it should be looked at.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The Kings dealt from a position of strength to fill a need. Isn't that what a GM is supposed to do when he makes a trade. Both teams should be satisfied with this deal. I am happy that the Kings didn't give up Bernier and Johnson in the same deal to get Nash.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Magicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
That's debatable but if it's true than 22 year old rookie outplayed DD too. I think every analyst, Jack himself and most fans place the blame directly on the Kings. I mean he's a +5 and has 3 fights since he moved.
Hes got 9-Pims since the trade. No way he's fought 3 times, unless it's once on the ice and twice in the locker room.

Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The Kings dealt from a position of strength to fill a need. Isn't that what a GM is supposed to do when he makes a trade. Both teams should be satisfied with this deal. I am happy that the Kings didn't give up Bernier and Johnson in the same deal to get Nash.
Bingo. Sign me up for Carter 1,000 times over before I'd have looked at the Nash deals. Wayyyyy to much for a guy whose proven as much as Carter (possibly less).

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:41 PM
William H Bonney

Great interview with such a stand up player. Very happy I've had a chance to see quite a few of Jack's games with Columbus. He's been awesome for them so far. Hope he keeps it up. Always has thrived when given the #1 role.

03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
So 47 points instead of 42 is some massive improvement? It likely doesn't hurt that he's averaging 26:18 a game since going to Columbus. He has been averaging 27:43 per game the last seven games, which is when he's scored five of his points as well. That's a full 5+ minutes per game more than he was getting in LA. I wouldn't take his slightly increase offensive pace for much.

The +/- you may have a point on, but time will tell. It is a team stat and Columbus is playing well as a team after some trades went down. I'd look more at next year under what will likely be another new system (unless they keep Richards as Head Coach) before saying the +/- is better.

I'm not sure why more fights is a vital sign of a break out either. I'd look at it the other way, why would I want my 27 minute defenseman fighting every third game, risking concussions or a broken hand?

Our goals against average over the past 11 games since Johnson was dealt is 2.08, or slightly down from our seasonal average of 2.10. Our goal per game pace has been 3.45 goals per game, or about 1.3 goals per game more than when Jack Johnson was here.

Conversely, Columbus has score 2.17 goals per game since Johnson went to Columbus, down from the 2.30 or so before the trade. Columbus has allowed 2.53 goals per game, which is a huge improvement on the 3.22 goals against average they had prior to the trade.

What does this all mean? It was a deal that benefitted both teams, but it doesn't indicate that Jack Johnson was in any way being held back in LA, or that he's erupted in Columbus. That was also the assessment of the trade at the time it went down, that he was a solid player here and would be in Columbus. There is no need to debate what hasn't changed. Johnson is a good two-way player no matter where he is playing.
I'm not saying he's broken out, I was just pointing out the shift in style and that it's pretty clear he was not right for the Kings. I am stoked for the trade.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:55 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
3 fights? The fight sites say he only has 1 fight, against Landeskog.
That's correct. I was basing that off a podcast where E>J Hradick and Barry Melrose talked about the obvious change in his style when changing teams. E.J said "what does he have like 3 fights in Columbus? He had 3 in his entire career".

Old
03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
no name

Quote:
Jack has 1 more goal and point than Voynov since the trade. And Voynov is a +6, same system that was "holding" Jack back.

Voynov doesn't play the same minutes either.

I take the Jack's top 4 spot (Voynov)+Carter for Jack+1st every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I love Voynov and I'm not knocking him, but we've seen this before with Martinez, Driewiske and even Peter Harrold in their first years. Those guys don't 1/2 the attention DD and Jj get when the puck is heading their way. The difference in defence is significant though. I've been more than pleased with Voynov and the defensive side.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Yep, Carter and Voynov for Johnson and a 1st is how it should be looked at.
For two guys who have changed the way our offense is played that trade off is a no brainer. I actually enjoy watching the games now.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
I love Voynov and I'm not knocking him, but we've seen this before with Martinez, Driewiske and even Peter Harrold in their first years. Those guys don't 1/2 the attention DD and Jj get when the puck is heading their way. The difference in defence is significant though. I've been more than pleased with Voynov and the defensive side.
It's not really a knock on Jack either, but Voynov isn't going to get you a Carter in a trade. Jack was the extra defenseman that Voynov made expendable.

Jack just wasn't putting it together with Doughty in the lineup. On paper, a Jack and Drew pairing should have been as good as a Suter-Weber pairing, it just never worked out.

Also, I don't think Martinez, Drewiske or Harrold were looked as a top 4 as a rookie. Martinez still has the potential to be a top 4, but Drewiske and Harrold were always bottom pairing guys.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:41 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
It's not really a knock on Jack either, but Voynov isn't going to get you a Carter in a trade. Jack was the extra defenseman that Voynov made expendable.

Jack just wasn't putting it together with Doughty in the lineup. On paper, a Jack and Drew pairing should have been as good as a Suter-Weber pairing, it just never worked out.

Also, I don't think Martinez, Drewiske or Harrold were looked as a top 4 as a rookie. Martinez still has the potential to be a top 4, but Drewiske and Harrold were always bottom pairing guys.
I agree, and it was as much Doughty's fault as it was Johnson's.

Doughty better get himself ready soon. There is going to come a day when the Kings are going to take the training wheels off and he won't have Scuderi or Mitchell to lean on any more.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

JJ is probably loving the fact he can finally play on his natural side after years of having to play on his backhand in LA

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Nothing but the best for Jack in Columbus and the rest of his NHL career. The sign was written on the wall when Doughty came in and blew everybody away that he wasn't going to be the guy and it looks like he's just that in Columbus.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I'm not saying he's broken out, I was just pointing out the shift in style and that it's pretty clear he was not right for the Kings. I am stoked for the trade.
How wasn't he "right" for the Kings. He did pretty solid here IMO.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Great guy and a great player.

That being said, I have never once thought to myself, "Man, it's so obvious that Johnson isn't out there". I barely even notice he's gone.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
How wasn't he "right" for the Kings. He did pretty solid here IMO.
The Kings obviously didn't use him right. Every analyst and Jack himself have said it. Yeah, he did well for us regardless.

Old
03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

hopefully the Jackets find a way to use him as a roaming 4th forward like Green (in the old caps days) and Karlsson

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:46 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Johnson has looked great as a Blue Jacket, but did it became clear that Johnson was only going to step up and play like the player he is showing right now if it was the Olympics or if Doughty wasn't in the lineup?

Playing devils advocate, if it is the system like Johnson says that it was (and so many of us assume as well), why hasn't the system's faults not reared its' heads since he was traded? Or are The Kings just playing out of their minds right now?

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Johnson has looked great as a Blue Jacket, but did it became clear that Johnson was only going to step up and play like the player he is showing right now if it was the Olympics or if Doughty wasn't in the lineup?

Playing devils advocate, if it is the system like Johnson says that it was (and so many of us assume as well), why hasn't the system's faults not reared its' heads since he was traded? Or are The Kings just playing out of their minds right now?
Call it system or not, the Kings demand their players play a certain way whether it suits them or not. It's not just the X's and O's, it's the fact that lots of these guys come in here and are doomed to fail for this team or play below their offensive capabilities due to the game requirements.