HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General OT Thread #11: 11 Cent Beers Be Damned, Bring A NHL Team To The Twin Cities!

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
The synthetic stuff is illegal in ND, so there goes your defense. I guess my thought would be to see if you could get some legal advice; I know some colleges have a program where you can talk to a lawyer for free for a half hour or so.
This. Also North Dakota does have a legal aid program.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
There's no proof of wrongdoing criminally, but they could write you up/kick you out of the dorms.

Simplest explanation is the most believable. Smoking cigarettes and didn't want the smoke detector to go off.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Admit nothing

Demand proof

Deny all knowledge of the events

Old
03-20-2012, 10:58 AM
forthewild

From the guys post tho, they are being charged with tempering of the smoke detector not pot smoking. So in this case, the best thing they could do is just say neither did it and demand proof that it was one of the two who put the bag over the alarm and not someone who was in and out.

best advice is to seek legal council, they might be able to help or advise you in a way so you can get away with it easier.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Alright so I will preface this by saying that "I have a friend" is really I have a friend. It is legitimately not me. A buddy of mine is in a bit of trouble:

Okay, so my buddy has a roommate who likes to smoke dat Marijuana. So, he wanted to smoke it in his room a few times and put a plastic bag around the smoke detector.

Before spring break, staff comes into each room after everyone leaves to make sure that there are no fire hazards. They forgot the plastic bag on the detector, so it was filed and reported and my buddy and his roommate have to go before the housing director on campus and attempt to explain themselves.

Obviously they don't want to face repercussions. We were brainstorming today, and they both agreed that if they could somehow find out if it was only going to be university punishment then they would confess no problems, but if the police were to get involved they want to get out of it, but its not like they can confess only if whatever, you know?

So basically, do you think the police would be involved? They are officially being brought forward with tampering of a smoke detector. That can't be that bad of an offense, could it? but one of their suitemates brought up it might be a felony, but then we thought that might only be in planes and/or government buildings but who knows.

So then we're thinking of reasons why they would have a bag on it, so they can escape punishment. Top three reasons right now are:

1. They had a grill from the first few weeks, had some bacon, and when it was cold they wanted to grill the bacon but didn't want to go outside. So they grilled in their room but bacon obviously smokes, so they covered the detector so it wouldn't go off then they forgot to take it off. They don't actually have a grill though.
this was my idea and I think it is the best one

2. Basically the same thing, except with a toaster. They do actually have the toaster.
Was my buddy's idea, he thinks he's gonna go with this, but I think it's far less plausible than a grill. Who the **** constantly burns their bread to the point where there is constant smoke? Come on

3. Admit to smoking, but that K2 or whatever is legal. Campus is tobacco-free, so cigarettes is out of the question, and they would get in trouble for smoking the legal whatever this is, but it would presumably be less than marijuana/tobacco.
This was my idea as well, even though I could not name the actual thing. The guy who smokes weed knew what it was called and knows a lot about it, so...it could possibly work?

I also thought of how one of the guys could presumably have a lizard with a misting system and they didn't want mist to get on the smoke detector so they put the plastic bag on it. Not exactly believable but I think it's better than the ****ing toaster. Come on.

So, yeah. Any thoughts? Any other believable reasons as to why they would cover their smoke detector?
#1 admit you did it.
#2 Don't give a reason. It's not neccesary. Say you'll take whatever punishment there is for tampering with smoke detectors and go from there. Admitting to anything only builds their case and gives them a chance to catch you in a lie where it gets even worse.

You'll probably be put on some kind of probation (maybe even double secret) of some kind, maybe some increased room inspections. But simply put they can't kick you out of a dorm for a plastic baggy over a smoke detector.

Tell your friend to not be a dumbass and smoke in his room again.

Last edited by Jarick: 03-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old
03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Let's not go into the drug talk, per site rules.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Let's not go into the drug talk, per site rules.
eh, didn't know it was a problem. Sorry bout that.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

So this whole thing with a bad reciever might not be Cable One's fault entirely.

Tech is here and he said I had excessive signal, which he corrected, and after which the DVR in the bedroom showed improvement on a number of digital channels that were doing all kinds of artifacting.

But the reciever in this room with the computer is still not working. He swapped it out, and the replacement didnt work. That was the first sign something is up. Cause one bad reciever is believable, but two in a row? So he swapped that out for a third one and it STILL didnt work.

Eventually we decided it's probably a power issue. which makes sense, because I think there are two outlets in the kitchen that dont work, plus the flourescent light in that room does not work properly, so I can easily buy it being an electrical issue.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:17 PM
se7en
infamous...

I'm not sure where to ask this question so I figured I'd just ask it here..

While watching the game last night it occurred to me that Zidlicky & Parise are now on the same team. Zids left unhappy...

What are the chances that Zids would speak of the Wild & the organization in a negative light? Also with that, what are the chances that would even more so hurt our chances with Parise?

I mean I know that Parise is probably a long shot at this point anyways but I guess my overall question is

Do you think players that left unhappily bad mouth their previous organizations? And what effect, if any, does that have on UFA's that may have been considering going to that organization?

Old
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm guessing Parise would know better than to judge the Wild organization off a disgruntled former player. Guessing he knows lots of guys who play(ed) for the team.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
se7en
infamous...

Ya, that makes sense.. I think Im just such a downer on everything Wild related right now that I just pictured Zids going off on some horrible rant about how terrible everything was in Minnesota & Parise getting even more skeptical about coming to Minnesota then he already was. haha

Old
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Has anyone here watched James May's Man Lab? Awesome show. Most of us know James May from Top Gear UK obviously, but he is one of the best presenters on television currently IMO. Here, for example, season 2 episode 3. I was surprised that the show sometimes, or actually often, contains stuff that is actually useful. And it's quite funny, too.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 303
Getting a lawyer for tampering with a dorm smoke detector? Sounds way overboard.

They can't do anything except A) Search your friends things, and B) Kick him out of the dorms.

Can't remember how many times the guys on my floor saw the residential adviser about violations. It's honestly not that big of a deal.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Ya, that makes sense.. I think Im just such a downer on everything Wild related right now that I just pictured Zids going off on some horrible rant about how terrible everything was in Minnesota & Parise getting even more skeptical about coming to Minnesota then he already was. haha
Remember, Parise was playing with two guys who both wanted desperately to come back to the Wild (well, at least when Veilleux was on the NHL portion of his 2-way). So he knows that some players are really excited about this organization, and saw how they got their chance too.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

This is amazing. This tech and I have literally been going all over the apartment tracking down more problems than are statistically possible, so he has decided it HAS to be an issue outside my apartment that is causing all these **** ups. He's gone outside to work on the big green box where everything enters the building.

So far he has:
-Swapped out the HD box in this room, twice.
-Gone to the mechanical room and put me on a different port, twice.
-We discovered that the cables the installer on friday used to hook things up were bad when he stepped on one and I noticed the TV dropped signal.
-Swapped out several splitters and two of the three wall plates in my apartment.

The actual odds of all those problems happening independently are so small as to be effectively zero.

This is just the most incredible trouble shooting quandary I have ever witnessed or been a part of.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
This is amazing. This tech and I have literally been going all over the apartment tracking down more problems than are statistically possible, so he has decided it HAS to be an issue outside my apartment that is causing all these **** ups. He's gone outside to work on the big green box where everything enters the building.

So far he has:
-Swapped out the HD box in this room, twice.
-Gone to the mechanical room and put me on a different port, twice.
-We discovered that the cables the installer on friday used to hook things up were bad when he stepped on one and I noticed the TV dropped signal.
-Swapped out several splitters and two of the three wall plates in my apartment.

The actual odds of all those problems happening independently are so small as to be effectively zero.

This is just the most incredible trouble shooting quandary I have ever witnessed or been a part of.
Ouch. Reminds me of the time when I had to help a customer who had connection issues to repair/fix his wireless network... via phone. He was an elderly man, nice gentleman by all accounts but he didn't know **** about computers. Took us well over an hour but we got it, finally.

I got a high-five from my boss when I told him that the case is solved

Old
03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Wanna be a great wingman? There are only 6(7) words you need to know "Hey, have you met my friend (Matt)?" I swear on my like it has a 75% chance of working. It's quite amazing.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Ouch. Reminds me of the time when I had to help a customer who had connection issues to repair/fix his wireless network... via phone. He was an elderly man, nice gentleman by all accounts but he didn't know **** about computers. Took us well over an hour but we got it, finally.

I got a high-five from my boss when I told him that the case is solved
Nah he knew what he was doing. In the end, the problem seems to have been a bad wall panel, but what a nightmare to track it down. Plus there are some lingering doubts about the power grid in this room, so were going to call the apartment manager and demand they send an electrician out.

Last edited by Avder: 03-20-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old
03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Last night I finished two drawings for the GDT on thursday, finished one and started another today. I then got lazy and am copying one from my last GDT so expect that.

My hand hurts.

Also, lines for the Wild? Koivu should be back, no? Backs as well?

I'll just copy + pasta the Flames lines from their game tonight because I don't really care about them much but I want ours accurate.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Nah he knew what he was doing. In the end, the problem seems to have been a bad wall panel, but what a night mare to track it down. Plus there are some lingering doubts about the power grid in this room, so were going to call the apartment manager and demand they send an electrician out.
Very much nitpicking here, but isn't "nightmare" written together? I always thought so.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Very much nitpicking here, but isn't "nightmare" written together? I always thought so.
I was typing fast.

Get off my back.

There I fixed it, happy?

Old
03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
I was typing fast.

Get off my back.

There I fixed it, happy?
Don't get me wrong, English is not my first language so I wanted to clarify it. I meant no offense there buddy.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 303
Statistics (the class) is stupid.

I'm not a computer. I can't remember endless formulas made up of symbols I've never seen before. When will I ever use these formulas? Never. Literally. Never. I'm a Sociology major, Marketing minor. When I need to compile survey results, there's a program for that! And it makes everything way easier! No, I'm not learning the "concepts" behind these demon maths. Pointless waste of my time and money. Teacher's terrible too. Makes me want to break things. Exam's tomorrow, if I can't use my formula index card, I'm walking out. Good riddance.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, English is not my first language so I wanted to clarify it. I meant no offense there buddy.
It was meant more in the tone of Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Statistics (the class) is stupid.

I'm not a computer. I can't remember endless formulas made up of symbols I've never seen before. When will I ever use these formulas? Never. Literally. Never. I'm a Sociology major, Marketing minor. When I need to compile survey results, there's a program for that! And it makes everything way easier! No, I'm not learning the "concepts" behind these demon maths. Pointless waste of my time and money. Teacher's terrible too. Makes me want to break things. Exam's tomorrow, if I can't use my formula index card, I'm walking out. Good riddance.
If you do marketing, you will probably use stats a lot.

Also it is good to know how the conduct surveys and manipulate numbers to suit their own ends.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Stats comes really easy to me but the teachers for all my classes were terrible. I had to teach myself, and then I literally started teaching the class in my last course because nobody could figure out what the teacher was saying.

But brains work in different ways. Ask me to pick up the symbolism in practically any piece of literature and I won't. Or have me make even a rudimentary piece of art and it's a joke. Got a head for numbers I guess.

Closed Thread