HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

General OT Thread #11: 11 Cent Beers Be Damned, Bring A NHL Team To The Twin Cities!

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

vCash: 500
Math is a tool of the devil!

Honestly, I know what to do with stats and what some of the formulas are, but I can never get the numbers to come out right. The most frustrating class I ever took was a 300 level problem solving stats class. I knew exactly how to do everything, but I still could not get it to come out right. It also had the worst final I have ever taken, there were 10 questions and we had 3 1/2 hours to finish. I needed that 3 1/2 hours too. I did pass though.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those are so satisfying though.

Then again I'm one of those strange people that will spend hours doing MENSA puzzles for fun.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Stats comes really easy to me but the teachers for all my classes were terrible. I had to teach myself, and then I literally started teaching the class in my last course because nobody could figure out what the teacher was saying.

But brains work in different ways. Ask me to pick up the symbolism in practically any piece of literature and I won't. Or have me make even a rudimentary piece of art and it's a joke. Got a head for numbers I guess.
I'm not much of an artist either, but apparently I'm getting a lot better at it, if my GDT's are any indication. I'm rather proud of my Star Wars takes on the Wild and Canes logos.

I dunno, I guess if you just start doing something you start to get look at it. Look at the difference between my Spaceballs GDT and my Star Wars GDT and you can see a big difference.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Had my first outdoor practice of the season today.

It feels so good to be back out on the field. It was amazing.

It's also really nice to see a really good offense coming together. My high school team would score maybe 3-4 goals a game, this team looks like it can score like 8-9, really compete with other teams. The defense, not too toot my own horn, is coming along ****ing amazing. Our goalies are lights out.

We're going to win it all this season, I can already see it.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Michael Bay needs to just stop.

First he destroys Transformers, now he is about to destroy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Those two cartoons were my life back in the 80s.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

First he destroys Transformers, now he is about to destroy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I wasn't happy when I heard about it either. And then his comments about it were off-putting.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:

Just watched the live action 1990 movie this weekend for the first time since I was in middle school. I can't believe I used to think this guy was the cat's meow:

Old
03-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Just watched the live action 1990 movie this weekend for the first time since I was in middle school. I can't believe I used to think this guy was the cat's meow:

Who the eff is that?

Old
03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Who the eff is that?
Casey Jones.

Better watch your speed.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Casey Jones.

Better watch your speed.
WTF? For some reason I remember him as a badass.

That does not look like anything remotely resembling a badass.

That looks like someone who didnt get either part in "Bill and Ted".

Old
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Not really sure where I should ask this, so if there is a better place on this forum point me to it.

As someone who's had no sexual experience before the relationship I'm currently in, I have some questions on some things that kind of revolve around a big problem we've been having when trying to have our fun. I probably won't post the stuff here but if someone who would be willing to listen to my GF's and I'd predicament and attempt to help out I'd appreciate it.

She's tried turning to her female friends, I've turned to my male friends, and we're still drawing a blank so maybe some semi-anonymous people on the internet could try to help me(and her) out

If not, disregard this message and it'll fall into obscurity.

Also, update on my buddy with the smoke alarm thing: he doesn't listen to ****ing anything I say and will more than likely try to go with the toaster story. ****ing idiot.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:47 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Not really sure where I should ask this, so if there is a better place on this forum point me to it.

As someone who's had no sexual experience before the relationship I'm currently in, I have some questions on some things that kind of revolve around a big problem we've been having when trying to have our fun. I probably won't post the stuff here but if someone who would be willing to listen to my GF's and I'd predicament and attempt to help out I'd appreciate it.

She's tried turning to her female friends, I've turned to my male friends, and we're still drawing a blank so maybe some semi-anonymous people on the internet could try to help me(and her) out

Also, update on my buddy with the smoke alarm thing: he doesn't listen to ****ing anything I say and will more than likely try to go with the toaster story. ****ing idiot.
Shoot something my way.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

I'll give it a shot. PM me and we'll do this after the Sharks game is over.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

tyra, just think about old nuns or ASPCA commercials. Problem solved.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

There is no amount of drunk that can make "Sudden Death" a good film.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Shoot something my way.
Oh god

If the problem is anything close to what I'm guessing it is, that was the single worst one-liner ever.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
There is no amount of drunk that can make "Sudden Death" a good film.
Watched Book of Eli last night. I mean, I've been meaning to watch it many times, just haven't got around to do it.

Goes right into my top 5 favorite movies, even if I disagree with the main character's faith.

What is it with Denzel Washington kicking ass while quoting the bible, anyway?

Old
03-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Avder
Is only game.

I am in the middle of a five minute and counting sneezing fit.

This is hell.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
I am in the middle of a five minute and counting sneezing fit.

This is hell.
Try inhaling Eucalyptus fumes, or if it doesn't work, take foot baths.

Another thing that I find usually working is to drink tea. I know you guys over the pond threw a bit of a hissy fit over that stuff the last time, but I promise that it will help.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Try inhaling Eucalyptus fumes, or if it doesn't work, take foot baths.

Another thing that I find usually working is to drink tea. I know you guys over the pond threw a bit of a hissy fit over that stuff the last time, but I promise that it will help.
If I had any of that I would have tried it but thankfully it stopped a few minutes ago.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
If I had any of that I would have tried it but thankfully it stopped a few minutes ago.
Good.

Now go grab some eucalyptus and tea from the local 7/11 or something.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Good.

Now go grab some eucalyptus and tea from the local 7/11 or something.
They make Eucalyptus and Tea flavored Slurpees???

Not sure about Avder's area (Moorhead), but I don't think we have a 7/11 in the Twin Cities area anymore. Which sucks because Slurpees in the summertime are awesome!

Old
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Big Gulps huh? Welp, see ya later!

Old
03-21-2012, 09:18 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Statistics (the class) is stupid.

I'm not a computer. I can't remember endless formulas made up of symbols I've never seen before. When will I ever use these formulas? Never. Literally. Never. I'm a Sociology major, Marketing minor. When I need to compile survey results, there's a program for that! And it makes everything way easier! No, I'm not learning the "concepts" behind these demon maths. Pointless waste of my time and money. Teacher's terrible too. Makes me want to break things. Exam's tomorrow, if I can't use my formula index card, I'm walking out. Good riddance.
It seems you're missing the entire point of the stats class (and it's extremely likely that your prof is failing to impress it upon you). Stats class isn't about memorizing a formula and knowing how to calculate stats out by hand. You're forced to do that, yes, but not to learn how to do that, but to learn how it works.

Take the "advanced stat freaks" around here as Jarick, llama, and I might refer to them. They don't understand anything about stats. They might even know how to calculate things but they don't understand them. The class has you calculate out confidence intervals by hand so you can actually figure out what they mean, and why they're important. You calculate out error ranges by hand so you can see how they shift with your data set, not to actually get the result. Calculating standard error shows that error falls exponentially with respect to population size. All the things you do in stats (and for the most part, in most formula centric math learning) teach you how things work so when you're abstracted away, you know what things to be skeptical of. Maybe your model found extremely high correlation, to the point where you don't think the data should support it that highly, maybe your data isn't heteroscedastic. If someone else provides you with statistical evidence for something, but doesn't provide you with the alpha value utilized for the calculations, you know how to do the stats so you understand what importance that carries, and especially in situations where the null hypothesis is only barely rejected. Doing the full calculations help settle the entire concept of a null/alternative hypothesis into your mind (when it seems so lost to those who haven't had formal training). Basically, it's all a bunch of experiencing the process so you can understand how things work, and utilize that knowledge in interpreting the results.

Maybe you don't need to know how to build a car in order to drive it, but you'd better have a decent understanding if you want to be able to diagnose when something's wrong with it.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
tyra, just think about old nuns or ASPCA commercials. Problem solved.
Quote:
Big Gulps huh? Welp, see ya later!
Awesome.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Closed Thread