HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General OT Thread #11: 11 Cent Beers Be Damned, Bring A NHL Team To The Twin Cities!

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
They make Eucalyptus and Tea flavored Slurpees???

Not sure about Avder's area (Moorhead), but I don't think we have a 7/11 in the Twin Cities area anymore. Which sucks because Slurpees in the summertime are awesome!
Theres one in south Fargo a few blocks from I-94 off University.

Boy today is gonna be a lot of fun. I woke up with a tooth ache and am waiting for some pain stuff to kick in.

Also got a call from an electrician who is gonna come out and check a whole bunch of stuff in here after the whole ordeal yesterday and the possbility that bad power killed the HD box in the computer room here. Also the HDMI port on that TV is dead, so the new box thats here is hooked up with component video.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:

Not sure about Avder's area (Moorhead), but I don't think we have a 7/11 in the Twin Cities area anymore. Which sucks because Slurpees in the summertime are awesome!
No, it's on the list of companies I wish were here along with Dunkin Donuts and Wawa.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
No, it's on the list of companies I wish were here along with Dunkin Donuts and Wawa.
Once upon a time, I heard a rumor that the reason we don't have 7/11's in MN is because of our liquor laws and the time of day you have to stop selling booze. I was too sad about the reality of us never having 7/11's to ever confirm this.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Once upon a time, I heard a rumor that the reason we don't have 7/11's in MN is because of our liquor laws and the time of day you have to stop selling booze. I was too sad about the reality of us never having 7/11's to ever confirm this.
Minnesota's liquor laws are the whole reason that when I do buy booze its usually from a liquor store over in Fargo. They're open till 2am every day.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
mnwildgophers

Can't you only sell between 8am - 10pm?

Old
03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Can't you only sell between 8am - 10pm?
Fargo is in North Dakota.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Fargo is in North Dakota.
I know that.

I was asking about MN, I work at a grocery store and we can only sell from 8am - 10 pm.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
I know that.

I was asking about MN, I work at a grocery store and we can only sell from 8am - 10 pm.
Because of Minnesota state law. North Dakota allows them to sell until 2AM, IIRC.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
They can only sell 3.2 beer in gas stations but it's the same in Oklahoma and I've seen 7/11's there.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Because of Minnesota state law. North Dakota allows them to sell until 2AM, IIRC.
Yeah I was just asking if that's the time that you could sell in MN. Doesn't make much sense IMO.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Yeah I was just asking if that's the time that you could sell in MN. Doesn't make much sense IMO.
Nope. And my carbon footprint is a whole lot bigger than it should be because of Minnesota's unwillingness to sell alcohol on Sundays. Dumb religious observation.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Keeptdos

vCash: 140
3 hours of floorball a day... Kills my legs specially when we don't have any substitutes.

PS. Americans should also play this awesome sport! A non contact game where Sami Salo injuries himself!

Old
03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
IIRC a full liquor license allows you to sell from 8AM to 10PM Monday-Saturday. The "Malt Liqour License" or whatever it's called allows you to sell from 8AM-10PM Monday-Saturday and 12PM-10PM Sunday.

As far as selling liquor on Sundays, outside of border cities, liquor stores are largely against it. With the exception of border cities when you can jump over to Superior or Fargo to get your booze on Sundays, there's no benefit to them to be open on Sundays. People are aware enough that they purchase in advance for the most part (in excess, which offsets those missed Sunday sales) so there's no significant sales increase from being open the additional day. They also don't have to pay anybody to work the store on Sundays because no one else is open to compete with, so it's actually cheaper for the law to force them closed. Rescinding that law was proposed this year, but I never heard anything more after that so I assume it was either tabled or defeated.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
IIRC a full liquor license allows you to sell from 8AM to 10PM Monday-Saturday. The "Malt Liqour License" or whatever it's called allows you to sell from 8AM-10PM Monday-Saturday and 12PM-10PM Sunday.

As far as selling liquor on Sundays, outside of border cities, liquor stores are largely against it. With the exception of border cities when you can jump over to Superior or Fargo to get your booze on Sundays, there's no benefit to them to be open on Sundays. People are aware enough that they purchase in advance for the most part (in excess, which offsets those missed Sunday sales) so there's no significant sales increase from being open the additional day. They also don't have to pay anybody to work the store on Sundays because no one else is open to compete with, so it's actually cheaper for the law to force them closed. Rescinding that law was proposed this year, but I never heard anything more after that so I assume it was either tabled or defeated.
Interesting. I suppose it makes sense in a way because most people do have their booze before, and just know to grab it on Friday or Saturday, besides, there's not much point in being open past 11 since everyone is usually out already.

Not that we sell much alcohol in a grocery store (Who drinks 3.2 beer?), but just kind of annoying to deal with since we stay open until 10:30.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

I just had the worst breakfast ever.

Hot dogs are not a breakfast food. Ever.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by avder View Post
hot dogs are not a breakfast food. Ever.
fify

Old
03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I figure if you have a hotdog for breakfast, you should probably just go back to bed and try again tomorrow.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I figure if you have a hotdog for breakfast, you should probably just go back to bed and try again tomorrow.
/thread

Old
03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
fify
Eh, close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Wish I could.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:32 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Interesting. I suppose it makes sense in a way because most people do have their booze before, and just know to grab it on Friday or Saturday, besides, there's not much point in being open past 11 since everyone is usually out already.

Not that we sell much alcohol in a grocery store (Who drinks 3.2 beer?), but just kind of annoying to deal with since we stay open until 10:30.
It's an issue that the alcohol lobby spends good money on to keep the blue law alive but there is demand (especially from border towns like squidz said) since all five bordering states allow Sunday alcohol sales that the issue comes up year-in and year-out.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

When New Glarus (amongst other WI brewers) finally starts distributing to MN, I'll be more peeved about having to drive into Sconnieland for booze. Until then, I'm mostly fine with it. Granted, for me it's only like a 15 minute-ish drive.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's an issue that the alcohol lobby spends good money on to keep the blue law alive but there is demand (especially from border towns like squidz said) since all five bordering states allow Sunday alcohol sales that the issue comes up year-in and year-out.
I can see why bars and liquor stores would lobby for the blue law, but why does the general alcohol lobby? Isn't that mostly manufacturers, who have nothing to lose by allowing Sunday sales?

Old
03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's just a ridiculous, antiquated law.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:40 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Quote:

I know. MN misses out on the 7/11 fun. Kwik Trip's aright, but nothing can hold a candle to the 7/11. What are some other brands people like that aren't in MN people like? A couple weeks ago Patrick Reusse and I discussed over Twitter the greatness of Chick-fil-A and they're supposed to be coming next year to the Cities. I've also wanted to try Tim Horton's to the point where I dreamed once that, in order to get Timmy's, I hitchhiked with a religious cult to Thunder Bay.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:42 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's just a ridiculous, antiquated law.
Well, yes, but bars and liquor stores have actual reasons to want it around. Bars get Sunday exclusivity, and liquor stores only have to operate six days a week without fear of competition swooping in. I don't see what the rest of the lobby gains from it, though.

Closed Thread