HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

General OT Thread #11: 11 Cent Beers Be Damned, Bring A NHL Team To The Twin Cities!

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
I know. MN misses out on the 7/11 fun. Kwik Trip's aright, but nothing can hold a candle to the 7/11. What are some other brands people like that aren't in MN people like? A couple weeks ago Patrick Reusse and I discussed over Twitter the greatness of Chick-fil-A and they're supposed to be coming next year to the Cities. I've also wanted to try Tim Horton's to the point where I dreamed once that, in order to get Timmy's, I hitchhiked with a religious cult to Thunder Bay.
Theres even disparities between whats available in the cities compared to whats available in the rest of the state.

I have never been to White Castle, because they simply dont exist up here.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:43 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Anyone have a vector image of just either the Minneapolis or St. Paul skyline with the rest being transparent? Looking to make a new sig on another site and want to use either, then inlay various local brewhouse logos and what not...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
I know. MN misses out on the 7/11 fun. Kwik Trip's aright, but nothing can hold a candle to the 7/11. What are some other brands people like that aren't in MN people like? A couple weeks ago Patrick Reusse and I discussed over Twitter the greatness of Chick-fil-A and they're supposed to be coming next year to the Cities. I've also wanted to try Tim Horton's to the point where I dreamed once that, in order to get Timmy's, I hitchhiked with a religious cult to Thunder Bay.
Goddammit, I really need a Timmy's fix right now. Even Dunkin' Donuts would be a nice consolation prize.

Why do people here hate donut shops?

Old
03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Goddammit, I really need a Timmy's fix right now. Even Dunkin' Donuts would be a nice consolation prize.

There's one only an hour away from here, but I bet you don't want to live here.

/at least I think there's one in the Fort...otherwise Steinbach (~2 hours) would probably be the closest

Old
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I can see why bars and liquor stores would lobby for the blue law, but why does the general alcohol lobby? Isn't that mostly manufacturers, who have nothing to lose by allowing Sunday sales?
Combination of liquor stores saving money by not having to pay employees for an extra day and preserving their stranglehold on the liquor laws (Minnesota has some of the stringiest ones in the country). Many who are opposed to Sunday sales point to that allowing them would open up the possibility of wine and hard alcohol in grocery stores. This is the only state that doesn't allow them and the rationale is that it hurts small businesses (liquor stores).

Quote:
That would be nice as well. There are a couple Chick-fil-A restaurants at the U student center and the airport (in progress) but those are out of the way.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Nope. And my carbon footprint is a whole lot bigger than it should be because of Minnesota's unwillingness to sell alcohol on Sundays. Dumb religious observation.
Has it always been due to a religious observance? I read somewhere that it first was started to put little bars out of business and discourage drunkenness because to serve alcohol on sunday you had to serve food as well, and it has changed since then.

Anyone know if this is true? or am I way off like usual

Old
03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Theres even disparities between whats available in the cities compared to whats available in the rest of the state.

I have never been to White Castle, because they simply dont exist up here.
The nearest white castle to me is in hinckley, which is two hours away, at least twice a summer me and my buddies will take a motorcycle ride there for that reason alone ha

Old
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Off the top of my head?

In N Out Burger
Whataburger
California Pizza Kitchen (not bad, but not the greatest either)

Old
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Would love to have Dunkin Donuts, Wawa (it's a gas station chain out in Philadelphia/DC), Waffle House and 7/11. Only had In N Out Burger once and can't remember how it was (I was 11) and wasn't overwhelmed with Tim Horton's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Off the top of my head?

In N Out Burger
Whataburger
California Pizza Kitchen (not bad, but not the greatest either)
Not sure if it's still there but I know California Pizza Kitchen used to be at Southdale.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Not sure if it's still there but I know California Pizza Kitchen used to be at Southdale.
There's one in Maple Grove as well.

Also, In N Out is incredibly over-rated.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
roon

lol @ the New Orleans Saints.

"And they thought Katrina was bad" - Roger Goodell.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
lol @ the New Orleans Saints.

"And they thought Katrina was bad" - Roger Goodell.
I beat you to it. Check the Minnesota sports thread.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:

I've never understood the fixation on Dunkin' Donuts.

I never liked (when i could eat them) their donuts and I think their coffee is rank.

I'd like to try a Timmy's, but I'm relatively sure that I'll just be "meh" afterwards.

As for what people have against donut shops? Krispy Kreme did REALLY well up in Maple Grove until the entire company sort of went up in smoke.

Plus, most of Holiday/Super America stations have cake donuts, which people seem to prefer to the deep fried sugar that KK offered.

/shrug

Old
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Also, In N Out is incredibly over-rated.
Hey Reginald,

I wouldn't say "Incredibly over-rated", you may not think they're the best burger ever but for a fast food place and for being pretty inexpensive they make a damn good burger. Nothing better than a Double Double, grilled Onions, no tomato, extra spread with animal style fries after you leave the bars!

Honestly tho, the only fast food place I ever truly craved is a place we have out here called Wahoo's. Before I moved to CA whenever I was out here Wahoo's had to be the first & last place I ate at. Their #10 Kalua pig bowl is epic!
Whenever I have friends come out thats the first place I take them and whenever they come back its the first place they ask to go. So far I think Wahoo's are only in Cali & Hawaii. They may have expanded to Colorado tho..

Do you guys have L & L's in Minnesota? Also amazing fast food!

Old
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Hey Reginald,

I wouldn't say "Incredibly over-rated", you may not think they're the best burger ever but for a fast food place and for being pretty inexpensive they make a damn good burger. Nothing better than a Double Double, grilled Onions, no tomato, extra spread with animal style fries after you leave the bars!

Honestly tho, the only fast food place I ever truly craved is a place we have out here called Wahoo's. Before I moved to CA whenever I was out here Wahoo's had to be the first & last place I ate at. Their #10 Kalua pig bowl is epic!
Whenever I have friends come out thats the first place I take them and whenever they come back its the first place they ask to go. So far I think Wahoo's are only in Cali & Hawaii. They may have expanded to Colorado tho..

Do you guys have L & L's in Minnesota? Also amazing fast food!
Never even heard of it, so I'd guess no.

I'd like to see more Sonics around the state. Whataburger is pretty damn good too. There was some chain of sit-down restaurants similar to Denny's or Perkins or something down in Texas/Oklahoma that i was fixated with when I was younger but I can't think of it.

More Chipotles all around the state wouldn't hurt either

Old
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
roon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I beat you to it. Check the Minnesota sports thread.
So you did!

Old
03-21-2012, 12:44 PM
se7en
infamous...

You know what I always hate about Sonic's!? It happens here & it happened when I lived in Minny(sota). I see them advertised all the frickin time!! But there are NONE around where I live!! Where do they get this enormous TV budget to have commercials playing 300 miles from their nearest location!? I guess there's more around in Minnesota now but out here I see a commercial a day & the nearest one is like 150 miles away!

Oh & L & L is a BBQ place btw..

Last edited by se7en: 03-21-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: EDIT - bad spelling & grammer!
Old
03-21-2012, 12:48 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

More Chipotles all around the state wouldn't hurt either
Those are around out here but not all that popular... I think we have way to many smaller Mexican places that the chipotles never really caught on but I could be wrong..

All the little Mom & Pop Taco places out here are fantastic. Whats really big here in San Diego is Carne Asada Fries. Its basically like a shredded steak nachos grande (Nachos with all the fixins) but instead of everything on nacho's its put on top of french fries.. Even when I lived up in Huntington Beach (Orange County) you didnt really see it much but down here it seems like every mexican place has it..

Old
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sonic is TERRIBLE. They opened one up a couple miles from my house and my ex used to go there all the time.

Hot dogs are meh, maybe because I don't like them, but also maybe because there's a real Chicago-style hot dog place right next door to my kid's school.

Burgers suck, not even as good as Burger King.

Tater tots are pretty bad, just heavy, greasy things with no crunch to them.

And aside from that, there's no reason to go there.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Would love to have an In n Out, but we have Five Guys now, so I'm happy. And of course nothing beats most of the sit-down places like Moe's, Matt's, Ike's, etc.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I've never understood the fixation on Dunkin' Donuts.

I never liked (when i could eat them) their donuts and I think their coffee is rank.

I'd like to try a Timmy's, but I'm relatively sure that I'll just be "meh" afterwards.

As for what people have against donut shops? Krispy Kreme did REALLY well up in Maple Grove until the entire company sort of went up in smoke.

Plus, most of Holiday/Super America stations have cake donuts, which people seem to prefer to the deep fried sugar that KK offered.

/shrug
Holiday (at least until a few years ago, might have changed now) carried Krispy Kreme donuts.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
You know what I always hate about Sonic's!? It happens here & it happened when I lived in Minny(sota). I see them advertised all the frickin time!! But there are NONE around where I live!! Where do they get this enormous TV budget to have commercials playing 300 miles from their nearest location!? I guess there's more around in Minnesota now but out here I see a commercial a day & the nearest one is like 150 miles away!

Oh & L & L is a BBQ place btw..
At a certain point it's cheaper to advertise nationally instead of market to market. Also, Sonic is trying to drum up interest as they enter new markets - they've expanded from the South to almost nationally in a span of 10 years.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Would love to have an In n Out, but we have Five Guys now, so I'm happy. And of course nothing beats most of the sit-down places like Moe's, Matt's, Ike's, etc.
Twin Cities are a pretty good burger town in general. As for Sonic, the food sucks, but the Limeades are pretty good.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Re: liquor stores, you'd have to think they'd make more money being open on Sunday. That's just one more day to buy booze. Smaller shops may not like having to find someone who can work on Sundays, but it works just fine for practically every other business aside from car dealers.

The basis is the old "blue law":

Quote:
A blue law is a type of law...designed to enforce religious standards, particularly the observance of Sunday as a day of worship or rest, and a restriction on Sunday shopping. Most have been repealed, have been declared unconstitutional, or are simply unenforced; though prohibitions on the sale of alcoholic beverages or prohibitions of almost all commerce on Sundays are still enforced in many areas.
I have an opinion but it will get political and I won't go there. Mostly that it's kind of a handshake deal, but it sucks for those of us who might want to buy a bottle of wine or a nice case of beer for Sunday dinner (last minute invite to a friends last weekend).

Old
03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I don't do sugary drinks.

Krispy Kreme was interesting the first couple times, then it got disgusting. I like a lighter, crispier fried pastry myself, though I rarely eat them.

Closed Thread