HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Bruins | Beantown Beatdown | Leafs Lose 8-0

Old
03-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Beleafer4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
LMFAO anyone hear that caller...

rosehill for ovechkin. OF COURSE!
I wonder if you could get an infraction by posting that on the main boards..

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Dalton

Burke is responsible for all the hiring and firing. If a new coach doesn't work out then that's on Brian. The team is playing better defensively under Carlisle. Burke must have known that the current roster wasn't ideal for Carlisle. Carlisle too when he took the job.

I'm not sure it's fair to critique the coaching change until a roster change is implemented to reflect the change in philosophy. I'm thinking next x-mas but I'd rather have a different GM. Any GM can trade our smurfs for big bodies. Building a successful team is another matter. Burke has not shown he can do that here in TO. In fact it's MHO he's shown quite the opposite as most seasons have seen him in damage control to avoid lottery pick finishes.

The Marlies are doing well but where is the truly top end talent? The type that comes from lottery picks, UFA signings or even trades. Burke seems to be trying to think outside the box when opportunist action would have better served him.

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Beleafer4

I would give burke one more year, but the man is on a chihuahua leash

Old
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Sergei Berezin

I don't get what people were expecting?

The same people crying for a tank are the loudest *****ers when they lose.

This team isn't ready, but you can't honestly blame everything at Burke.

IMO his only fault has been loyalty. Too loyal to his goalies, his coach, his players in general. His issues havent been what hes done, its what he hasnt done. Aside from the Kessel trade, every trade has been an easy win in his favour. I want to give him at least one more season before considering a firing.

Also, i can guarantee you the next GM will have a way easier time than Burke, who inherited a mess.

Also @ Dark Knight... That's a classic grass is greener on the other side view. Do you really think the Jets are a better team than the Leafs? He inherited a team with a 4th overall draft pick and then acquired two players he knew more than well. Hell, his team fell harder than the Leafs have this season last season. The guy also almost trace Vinny Lecavalier to Toronto for a pile of nothing... He's no great GM.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

another leafs fan in australia...nice.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:51 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I would give burke one more year, but the man is on a chihuahua leash
I agree but I expect a 9th place finish and then the Burke ball-washers will say he's done an amazing job and "we are heading in the right direction" as MLSE re-ups him for another 5 years.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:52 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless View Post
Burke has 1 more season to get this right.
Why should have one more season?

What has he done not to get his walking papers tomorrow?

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
The main thing he could have done was not trade for Kessel. It's obvious at the time the Leafs weren't a playoff team. Without Kessel that year, we would have likely finished worse than the Oilers and drafted Taylor Hall. It goes against the rebuild, and it goes against what Burke claims he likes in a player, since Kessel is the biggest pu$$y in the league. Without Kessel, we have a legitimate franchise player (Hall/Seguin) to build around, along with another player who came out of the second 1st round pick, which likely wouldn't have been the 9th overall pick, it would have been higher again without Kessel.
Again, we didn't know we would give up Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel. The trade was bad. I won't deny it, but stop twisting the story. Burke didn't trade for Kessel willingly giving up a 2nd overall pick.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:53 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

People apparently like the sludge of failure that spews from his mouth.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Again, we didn't know we would give up Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel. The trade was bad. I won't deny it, but stop twisting the story. Burke didn't trade for Kessel willingly giving up a 2nd overall pick.
Of course he didn't know. But that's his problem. He's the GM. He evaluates the talent and makes decisions based on those evaluations. He over-estimated his team, as he's done countless times during his entire tenure here, and it blew up in his face, as I said earlier. If Kessel walks at the end of his contract, which is seeming like a fairly likely scenario, this will be much more than a simple bad trade. This might go down as the worst trade in Maple Leafs history.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:56 PM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 527
The Leafs played a heckuva game on Saturday night against Ottawa, but the Bruins seem have your number this season.
Good Luck the rest of the year!

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
supermann_98

If Burke trades our pick or prospects for another quick fix I'm done with the team until he's gone. Sooo tired of this loudmouth talking outta his ass, "building from the net out", "truculence", "we are going after John Tavares", "Ron Wilson has been the teams #1 star"
GTFO with the talk and make our team better.
How can a man this "smart" and "savvy" not lead our team to a top 8 position in a 15 team conference for 5 ********* years!?
Top 8! Forget Stanley cup, forget home ice advantage, forget division or conference champs .... He can't even lead us to top 8. Simply pathetic.
A blind monkey would've gotten us into as many playoff games as Burke has.

supermann_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorr04 View Post
The Leafs played a heckuva game on Saturday night against Ottawa, but the Bruins seem have your number this season.
Good Luck the rest of the year!
Great. With this, we'll actually start winning games again and end up 9th.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Rayzorexe
Yawn...

One of the few nights were I had a night shift. Glad I miss tonight's game

Rayzorexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:

He has the makings of a good team .

Old
03-19-2012, 10:07 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Got our Season Ticket renewal email today......good timing.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Gutless

Quote:

To be fair to him, I think our prospect pool is so much better now than it was when he came in. We're in a better spot today than we were when he first came in, so there has been progress, albeit not the kind that we had hoped for.

Personally, I think he's doomed either way. This team's ship cannot be righted in one season.

He's made some foolish UFA signings, but he's made up for that by dominating a few trades. He just hired Carlyle, so all signs point to MLSE wanting Burke to stick around for at least one more year along with Carlyle. You don't fire the GM who hired your coach a few weeks after he makes that hire, unless of course you want to spend a boatload of unnecessary money.

Burke isn't hurting this team right now. The one trade that set the franchise back was the Kessel trade, but no one knew the draft picks would be what they turned out to be. This team needs a summer off (again) to figure some things out. Burke needs to fix the bottom 6 and find someone who can properly fill in as a stop gap for the vacant #1 C role, like Connolly was supposed to this year and next.

Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:10 PM
ForzaItalia

Don't you think that any GM could have improved the prospect pool after being here for 3.5 years?

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

wanted to lose but not like this. lol

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
enixer

Quote:

He inherited a big pile of crap from JFJ and has turned it into a team with upside.
What'd you expect this year, a Stanley Cup?
Personally, I want a Cup, not a first round exit from the playoffs. I can live with another year without playoffs if I know the team is headed in the right direction, which I believe it is.

I'm still unclear about the Kessel trade... was it Seguin we traded away or Hall? For some reason I thought it was draft picks.

enixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Don't you think that any GM could have improved the prospect pool after being here for 3.5 years?
Hindsight being what it is, I don't think another GM could have done a better job than Burke. They may have been able to equal it, but that's unlikely. Like I said, outside of the Kessel trade, nothing else that he has done has been a real setback as it relates to prospects and prospect development.

It's what he hasn't done that's the problem, but I'm sure there are reasons why he didn't/can't do those things (i.e. lock up the ever elusive #1 C).

Old
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
And remind me who exactly is in charge of putting together this player group?
Quote:
You mean the very players Burke brought in?
Beggars can't be choosers. When Burke took over the sad sack collection of pro players JFJ left him he was a complete beggar. He had to scour anywhere and everywhere for anything he could find that was an upgrade over what he inherited.

You guys don't think that if Burke could have gotten Shea Weber (for example) instead of Phaneuf he wouldn't have? Or an elite centre to play with Kessel? I'm sure Burke would desperately love to get those types of players, but they're hard to find. Yes, he traded away Seguin for Kessel. I'm tired of hearing about that. If he knew he was giving the Bruins Seguin he wouldn't have made the trade. He messed up. He's human. But since then he has resisted the temptation to trade picks and prospects for short term band-aids. Give him credit for that.

Burke's biggest enemy has not been his player personnel decisions, it's been his big mouth. Promising a truculent team and making other promises that he should have known would be hard to deliver in a cap world. He should have kept his mouth shut and focused on his job of building the hockey club. He should have said "we will do our very best to build a contending team as quickly as possible without sacrificing the future of the franchise". And left it at that. Had he said that, I think most fans would not be complaining now. They'd be focusing on the positives (Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Ashton, Kadri, Colbourne, Frattin, etc) and would see the building blocks we now have. Instead Burke shot his mouth off about a 5 year plan, truculence, top 6 bottom 6, found wallets, media pressure excuses, fighting with the media.

Burke's biggest failure has been his inability to manage expectations, including his very own.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
So true. With our scouting staff, all Burke had to do was keep the picks. His 1st rounders haven't even been the consensus ones that we wanted to pick. I remember wanting McNeill (albeit he was gone by the time we could pick), Puempel, and even Jurco...but we ended up taking Biggs and Percy.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:16 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Get rid of Burke, Nonis.

Hire Dudley to be the GM.

Dudley took a year and change to make Atlanta/Winnipeg a playoff team. He's a great judge of talent and hence drafts very well.

Give Dudley to completely transform this team's management from the ground and up.

But knowing MLSE they'll probably go with the route they're most comfortable, and Fletcher will take over yet again.

I want to see changes this offseason. Burke has done absolutely nothing to justify being given one more year. His handing out a contract to Mr. Wilson who he subsequently fires the same year has to be looked upon strictly by the upper management. That's money absolutely wasted.

Hire Dudley to be the GM.
You're forgetting his tenure as GM in Tampa and Ottawa....both disasters. And Atlanta? Not really a success story there either.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel17 View Post
Burke's biggest failure has been his inability to manage expectations, including his very own.
This is very true, and it's one of the things that's coming back to haunt him now. He has a big mouth, and in a market like this, that will only help to make you look like an idiot or a genius. Given that he's 3.5-4 years into his term and he hasn't produced any real progress (like a playoff berth), he looks like an idiot and has lost the respect of the fan base.