HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Bruins | Beantown Beatdown | Leafs Lose 8-0

Old
03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

vCash: 500
Kessel is going to have to rise against this ****. Until he can perform against Boston, even barely, he's just being a wimp.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:05 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Jesus Christ. I'll put it simple for those who keep not understanding:

1. If we didn't have Kessel,nobody knows where we would end up and if we would have Seguin.
2. Say we got Seguin. And what? On this **** of a team,he wouldn't be doing as good as he does in Boston. That's for sure.
3. Even as good as Seguin is doing,Kessel is still doing better than him. Seguin is what 2 years younger? Is that such a huge difference?

**** me. Nobody knows what WOULD happen. There's just as good a chance that Seguin would be a total bust with us because we wouldn't be able to develop him properly,not to mention all the pressure.

All that "Seguin would be this and that" is only in your imagination. Nothing more.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Krazy

The bruins are a better team. by a longshot. that being said, they are not the best team, and toronto has played much better teams much closer. Its just a bad matchup.

Also, why do people keep saying seguin is a center? he is a rw, just like kessel. he played center in jr, just like phil, there is no gaurantee that he will convert.

people always act like he is the difference in these games. i mean, these are just beatings. Seguin could have went for a beer with thomas and we still get destroyed.

He has score like 15 of his 60 pts against the leafs who play ridiculously bad against boston. Without that he would have like 18g and 45pts over 65 games. A lot less impressive. Of course he is a world beater, but when kess scores against montreal, he is just racking up points against a poor team.....

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post

1. If we didn't have Kessel,nobody knows where we would end up and if we would have Seguin.
2. Say we got Seguin. And what? On this **** of a team,he wouldn't be doing as good as he does in Boston. That's for sure.
3. Even as good as Seguin is doing,Kessel is still doing better than him. Seguin is what 2 years younger? Is that such a huge difference?

**** me. Nobody knows what WOULD happen. There's just as good a chance that Seguin would be a total bust with us because we wouldn't be able to develop him properly,not to mention all the pressure.

All that "Seguin would be this and that" is only in your imagination. Nothing more.
Seguin is 5 years younger than Kessel.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
might be stupid to say, but it looks like the Leafs look like they're sacared of playing the Bruins and let them play their game. Most of the goals were of Leafs breakdowns with the goalies, and east west plays for easy tap ins.
Nope, I fully agree. Its very psychological in the series this year.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:07 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
It boils down to boasting about the staff you've got and then completely failing to analyze your OWN team's ability. How could you not know the goaltending, at the very least, was a recipe for disaster? It's not like they had a 29 year old established goalie they could rely on to bail them out.

]

Burke and co. seriously looked over that pathetic roster (remember, Phaneuf, Giguere, Aulie were added in January, well after the Kessel trade, so the roster was weaker than this with Toskafail) and deemed this team to be a playoff contender? Seriously?

It's not simply hindsight. At some point, foresight from professional management people with tons of experience like Burke and Nonis has to be put on the chopping block and face some scrutiny.

But I believe Burke has tried to save face by stating he considered the lottery possibility but felt Phil was worth the price. To me, the only players worth the price of a lottery position are players you can build the team around, franchise players, that can take the team on their back in the rough patches and hard banging games, and lead them to wins. Such players would be well-established starting goaltenders that are just below elite (as elite goalies would cost a lot more than two 1sts and a 2nd) or a franchise Centreman or Defenceman-- a Getzlaf or a Pronger in his prime.

You also have to question the terrible timing of such a trade. I get that ownership doesn't want a full rebuild, likely put pressure on him, but the timing of giving away picks like that with the roster listed above was ridiculous- an epic failure. Phil is a fantastic complementary player. He's not a franchise player in the definition I presented, IMO. Yes, he's a top 5 player, but how much better off are we now? This will likely be our worst finish since Burke took over. That's WITH the top 5 scorer in Kessel. How much better off are if we lose that top 5 scorer after two more seasons, when we're likely to have not made the playoffs? All the while Seguin is developing very nicely, was clutch in the playoffs for the B's already, and will likely have signed a nice new long term commitment at less money than Phil would command as a UFA.

I hate that trade for how it's potentially set this franchise back in the long term and for how it exposed Burke's talent assessment regarding his own team.
Right on the money.

One thing Burke said that he would not answer to anyone so he was not under Ownership pressure to put a winning team on the ice right away, that is why he was given a long term contract with full control, he was allowed to hire who ever he wanted. Ownership has given him all the resources that he wanted.

He came into the job stating that he could put a winning team on the ice and fast. He knew he was going to be the GM long before he was hired, we all did. He has made many poor choices.

I like how everyone said that JFJ left a mess when he left......what do you call a team that has no goal tending no number 1 center, no number one D -man. That is soft and lacks compete level.....I would say it is a mess!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:08 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:

I'm pretty sure without Kessel, we'd have been no better than having the second pick overall...... 4.5 years younger, as well

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Alright,my mistake. Other points stand however.

Old
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post

Blaming the fanbase for this mess is just hilarious.

Only in Leafland.
i having a laugh with this as well.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:09 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Was just about to post this.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:10 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I'm pretty sure without Kessel, we'd have been no better than having the second pick overall...... 4.5 years younger, as well
Probably,but not for sure. We're all just guessing what would have been.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
Was just about to post this.
I am really sad right now lol

Old
03-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Alright,my mistake. Other points stand however.
You're probably right, but I don't think there is any question we would be better off with Seguin (ELC) + Hamilton (system) + Knight (system) + A top 10 pick in this year's draft.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

**** it dude. wake me up at the draft.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:15 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
You're probably right, but I don't think there is any question we would be better off with Seguin (ELC) + Hamilton (system) + Knight (system) + A top 10 pick in this year's draft.
With our luck we probably would've ended up with Nino Niederreiter

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

this is pathetic.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Wait so what you are trying to imply is that WITH this asset already playing on the roster the one that we spent these massive resources on , we would only be "just guessing" that our draft slot would be even better?

Well WTF did we get in return then?

Without Kessel it's only a guess that we would finish with a higher draft slot? HAW man you really take the cake.

Faltorvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
That's true, of course. Just expressing frustration at the lack of foresight with the '09-10 roster in question. Really, on paper it was not a very good team, even if we had a somewhat capable starter.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:20 PM
diceman934

Quote:

keep Jesus out of this please.

WE are no where with Kessel. Seguins year to year stats in the NHL are better than Kessel's. Not only would we have Seguin but we would have two other players who would be part of our prospect pool. One of those two is an Elite Defense-man. So we would have that elusive number one Center in Seguin ( as he is now) and a potential number one D-man as well as another good prospect.

If Kessel help us to finish higher every year then he has only further retarded our development as he would have had more lottery picks or lower draft picks.

Kessel is a very good hockey player, but he is not a center piece player and Burke mistakenly assessed him as such.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:23 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Wait so what you are trying to imply is that WITH this asset already playing on the roster the one that we spent these massive resources on , we would only be "just guessing" that our draft slot would be even better?

Well WTF did we get in return then?

Without Kessel it's only a guess that we would finish with a higher draft slot? HAW man you really take the cake.
We'd probably have had the first pick and with our brilliant history of drafting we'd have drafted a good ole Canadian boy like McIlrath or Gudbranson with it

Old
03-19-2012, 11:24 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

WE are no where with Kessel. Seguins year to year stats in the NHL are better than Kessel's. Not only would we have Seguin but we would have two other players who would be part of our prospect pool. One of those two is an Elite Defense-man. So we would have that elusive number one Center in Seguin ( as he is now) and a potential number one D-man as well as another good prospect.

If Kessel help us to finish higher every year then he has only further retarded our development as he would have had more lottery picks or lower draft picks.

Kessel is a very good hockey player, but he is not a center piece player and Burke mistakenly assessed him as such.
seguin is not a center

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

There's just as good a chance that the 2nd overall pick would bust with us?

Holy crap are you ever a chicken little.

Alert the media, we need to continue trading our 1rst away and forget about trading for prospects, the fear and odds of them busting is overwhelming me.

We can't sign top FAs they all want more term then 5 years.

No one is stupid enough to trade us their proven stars.

And we are shten bricks because we are worried we can't even develop the 2nd overall pick right, let alone all those with less natural talent.

Sign, man we are royally fck ain't we?

Old
03-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

Carpenters from two millennia ago can defend themselves.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
seguin is not a center
he sure as hell would be here.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
he sure as hell would be here.
i agree with this. not that anyone cares.

get your mind off this team. forget it. theres better stuff to do.