HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Bruins | Beantown Beatdown | Leafs Lose 8-0

Old
03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
DaveT83*

vCash: 500
Glorious game for the tank.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:26 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I don't know if you read this forum daily, but some of us were saying there were problems in Sept-Oct when we were winning, not all of us drank the koolaid, not sure what you are talking about with that generalization "everyone".
Hahahaha.....Love it. Been saying the blowhard is highly over-rated forever. The team stinks...going nowhere and listening to a bunch of guys who "know better" who are still chirping about how great the fathead is. Its unbearable. The humiliation suffered to the hands of the the Cup champs should really wake some of you guys up. It shows you how lousy this team is...how crap Brian Burke is and how far from a contending team the Leafs are. But it wont. It will just give you more hope for next year. You can chirp all summer about the great prospect pool and be all excited next year after the genius has another off-season to "right the ship".

This team is worse than JFJ assembled teams. Jason Blake where are you?

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:28 AM
KeziaTML

I give this match 3 Tank Commander Connolly's

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Toasterman

I still think prospects wise, the Leafs are better than they were when Burke took over but there's no doubt after this game that the majority of the team needs to be traded.

It's also become quite clear that Ron Wilson was so very, very, very far from the problem. In short, I don't blame Burke so much as I blame group of players who continue to play boneheded.

Blaming Burke would be excusing a group that's failed to execute.

It's easy to blame it on the Toronto market, that maybe things were different even as far back as the peak of the Sundin era, before the Internet, social media and 24/7 sports news really set in.

However, the other big pressure, big media market of their sports have seen their teams, the Lakers, the Yankees and the NY Giants all won recent championships.

In the end, these players just simply haven't delivered up to their potential at long, steady streches of the year.

Toasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I like this loss for one selfish reason. It should forever shut up the hollow argument that Wilson is to blame for the state of the team. That was the danger for Burke with firing the coach, Burke is now exposed solely. I suggest patience however because there still is a bridge quality to this team with so many veteran UFAs giving disappointing performances. If you're looking for Burke to make an impact through the draft, that doesn't happen in 3 years. Burke inherited a player list populated with undersized softness and tried to plug those holes through free agency. That strategy failing is really a function of using free agency to fill roster holes.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

JFj should send Burke a thank you note.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterman View Post
I still think prospects wise, the Leafs are better than they were when Burke took over but there's no doubt after this game that the majority of the team needs to be traded.
wow, after missing the playoffs for 4 years the prospect pool is better... big deal

most of that is due to scouting and just plain sucking

a blind bat can make the prospect pool better

it's pathetic how little we've progressed. we have pretty much no elite prospects or anyone that most ppl in the league would agree COULD be a 1st liner.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
wow, after missing the playoffs for 4 years the prospect pool is better... big deal

most of that is due to scouting and just plain sucking

a blind bat can make the prospect pool better

it's pathetic how little we've progressed. we have pretty much no elite prospects or anyone that most ppl in the league would agree COULD be a 1st liner.
Someone might call it a disaster.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:08 AM
One Man Wolfpack

Well, everyone is looking towards the draft to see what the Leafs do....Personally I am looking forward to A: Burke's face on the draft lottery show and B: His end of season press conference. I mean seriously this entertaining stuff. This team is an absolute disaster. No wonder other franchises love to bash the Leafs. Think about it. IT'S SO EASY!

Burke basically funds the material with his multiple, multiple quotes of sheer stupidity. I mean think about all the things he has said and delivered on. IT'S CRAZY!!! The man is trying to be Don King of hockey while sending sparring partners out, then trying to sell them as LEGIT talent. It's Hilarious. It's becoming a side show actually.....and it's quite sad.

I was a huge Burke supporter when he came here. I was jumping for Joy actually.Then he started to talk about his RETOOL IDEA and how he was above the conventional Draft way of building a team. Then I was nervous. 4 Years later and he still seems to be on the RETOOL train and we are pushing for a lottery pick. One of 2 he would have had in his tenure here. Has anyone ever read the definition of insanity. Burke never may never cement his name on the Cup here, though he may have it immortalized in the dictionary right beside a paticalar definition.

One Man Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:10 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
JFj should send Burke a thank you note.
JFJ pushed the boulder over the precipice. Burke and others have been trying to stop or slow it down ever since.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Toasterman

How foolish should that crowd who chanted "Fire Wilson" must feel now.

This wasn't Wilson's fault. I'd bet the Capitals would be in the same position or better with Bruce, as well. Hitchcock is the only one who's worked wonders this year and, well, it's Hitchcock, look at the track record over multiple years and franchises.

Now the fans want Burke fired because...well, they were clearly so on the money about Wilson needing to go that they must be right about this one, too, right?

Old
03-20-2012, 09:24 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:

This wasn't Wilson's fault. I'd bet the Capitals would be in the same position or better with Bruce, as well. Hitchcock is the only one who's worked wonders this year and, well, it's Hitchcock, look at the track record over multiple years and franchises.

Now the fans want Burke fired because...well, they were clearly so on the money about Wilson needing to go that they must be right about this one, too, right?
lol what in the world are you talking about?

of course wilson should have been fired. it's been 4 years! you can argue he wasn't the only problem but there is no way in hell he was the solution either.
this team was built for his style!! you get that right?
do you not think the type of coach you have dictates what kind of players the gm brings...

you give a small team with no heart to carlyle and you are like ok transform them into a contender!! doesn't work like that
this team has wilson's fingerprints all over it, a team that burke has tried to build for him for 4 years...

if carlyle is here for 4 years and you have his type of team and they still suck, then sure blame him!

moreover, if you don't think wilson is the fault, the who else is it except burke? if you let wilson and burke off the hook then who? do you think we're just intrinsically cursed

for the record, i don't think wilson was the only fault but he had to be let go cause he was never going to be a part of the solution. the run and gun style would only work with a team of all-stars . of course the rest of the responsibility falls on burke. you can get a world class chef into the kitchen but if you give him **** ingredients he can't make a masterpiece

Old
03-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Yeah. They should have shouted "Fire Burke!"

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Do you think Bell and Rogers could throw in a few hundred million just to trade the whole team for a better one? Nashville might bite if the money were big enough. The Leafs take Trotz and Poile too along with the players.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Toasterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
this team was built for his style!! you get that right?
Actually, with Caryle's hiring Burke said he and Wilson didn't always see eye to eye on team direction and in Caryle he has a coach who shares his vision of a team. So I'm not sure how this team was built for Wilson's style.

As for who I blame if not Wilson - I blame the players. Every one of them save Lupul, who actually exceeded expections and Kessel who is having career highs.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:33 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

I would give Dave Nonis a shot, he and Burke often don't agree according to an interview he did not too long ago:

Here is what was written about him in the Edmonton Journal:

Quote:
Other Experience: Nonis has spent the last four years as Brian Burke’s lieutenant in Anaheim and Toronto, but prior to that he was Burke’s successor as G.M. of the Vancouver Canucks, running that team from the summer of 2004 to 2008. Before taking the top job in Vancouver, Nonis had another long run as Burke’s right-hand man – spending six years with him in Vancouver and four years before that at the NHL’s Hockey Operations department.
What has this candidate done that makes him warrant consideration? Nonis did some good things during his time at the helm in Vancouver, but the standout was undoubtedly a lopsided trade that saw the Canucks send Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to Florida in exchange for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajieck, and a sixth-round draft pick. While Luongo has been criticized at times, he has also given the Canucks the best goaltending the franchise has ever had, and picking him up for a declining player like Bertuzzi was a major win for Vancouver. Nonis brought Anson Carter in on a bargain contract; Carter would score 30 goals for the Canucks in 2005-06. He also brought in Alain Vigneault, who has been a superb coach for the Canucks. It’s also worth noting that the Toronto Marlies – a team Nonis is the general manager of – currently sit second in the AHL’s Western Conference.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:35 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Not sure how that shows that him and Burke don't agree?

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:35 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Do you think Bell and Rogers could throw in a few hundred million just to trade the whole team for a better one? Nashville might bite if the money were big enough. The Leafs take Trotz and Poile too along with the players.
How about Radulov and one of the free agent defensemen for Kessel (plus parts)?

Old
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
It's also become quite clear that Ron Wilson was so very, very, very far from the problem. In short, I don't blame Burke so much as I blame group of players who continue to play boneheded.
Gee, that must've been tough to deduce, isn't that right fanbase?

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Actually, with Caryle's hiring Burke said he and Wilson didn't always see eye to eye on team direction and in Caryle he has a coach who shares his vision of a team. So I'm not sure how this team was built for Wilson's style.

this point goes further to prove what i was saying

burke said he 'liked it a little rougher than wilson' and that like you said, carlyle and him have more of a similar direction

what that means is that basically most of our small/soft players designed for the run and gun were brought in because of wilson's preferences, not burke

burke was trying to build a team for wilson and his style pretty much all along

we can't judge carlyle yet off of this roster, just can't. burke will have his work cut out for him trying to move some of our stiffs to bring in carlyle players but that won't be easy

the fact that we continue to suck goes further to validate that wilson's style and mentality was not working and it still isn't.
it's like if you have terrible parenting for 4 years and you get a good parent for a few weeks trying to correct you. the fact that you're still acting up is more a testament how terrible the previous parenting was

wilson will be off the hook with me next year once a bunch of these run and gun players are gone and his fingerprints are lessened in the organization

Old
03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
Our farmteam is full of players that are almost guarenteed to get into the nhl with some possible first line upside. Without having a top5 pick he has done remarkably well.

Biggs and Kadri both have first line upside but will probobly end up being 2nd liners.

Blacker and Percy should end up as #3 defensemen on a good club, with upside of being top pairing but not #1s.

The team is full of quality solid prospects that will hit the NHL at some point. Colborne, Ross, McKegg, Olden, and there are others that should hit the NHL at some point.

He also signed Bozak, Mueller, and gustavsson.

Not to mention his amazing trade of beauchemin, ledba.

He hasnt done great, but he doesn't deserve to be fired.
The problem in a nutshell...accepting mediocrity!

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Toasterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
Gee, that must've been tough to deduce, isn't that right fanbase?
And your expert, ex-NHL GM breakdown of the team is?

Thought so.

Thanks for the contribution.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Ice Scrum View Post
Please don't use logic. It baffles their minds.
Either way, he still leads their team in goals and points...at 20 years old.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
And your expert, ex-NHL GM breakdown of the team is?

Thought so.

Thanks for the contribution.
Sorry, wasn't so much a criticism of your comments as it was commentary of how blind the majority of the fanbase is when it came to Wilson. I just quoted you since you brought it up.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Is there something to protect my head from the sky falling?

This thread should be full of people happy that the team tanked, considering comments in previous GDTs where people wanted them to lose 5-0 or 6-0 to scrubbier clubs.

Double standards abound.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote