HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs @ Bruins | Beantown Beatdown | Leafs Lose 8-0

Old
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Toasterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
this point goes further to prove what i was saying

burke said he 'liked it a little rougher than wilson' and that like you said, carlyle and him have more of a similar direction

what that means is that basically most of our small/soft players designed for the run and gun were brought in because of wilson's preferences, not burke

burke was trying to build a team for wilson and his style pretty much all along

we can't judge carlyle yet off of this roster, just can't. burke will have his work cut out for him trying to move some of our stiffs to bring in carlyle players but that won't be easy
I will agree with this 100%.

I can accept that at this point, with this group, Caryle hasn't been able to break through yet.

What we see in October 2012 in terms of who's on the roster and what the team's style of play is like coming out of a full training camp and exhbition game season under Caryle, will tell the tale.

Toasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Toasterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
Sorry, wasn't so much a criticism of your comments as it was commentary of how blind the majority of the fanbase is when it came to Wilson. I just quoted you since you brought it up.
My sincere apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Is there something to protect my head from the sky falling?

This thread should be full of people happy that the team tanked, considering comments in previous GDTs where people wanted them to lose 5-0 or 6-0 to scrubbier clubs.

Double standards abound.
A high draft pick that pans out and isn't Alexander Daigle would be great.

Losing 8-0 to the Bruins to get that high draft pick still stings a lot.

Toasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
The problem in a nutshell...accepting mediocrity!

Really that means nothing. You really think MLSE likes spending to the cap and getting no playoff home dates? Montreal fans are infamously more hypercritical than Leafs fans and look where that has got them.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
want ML$E to listen? use your wallet. stop buying tickets.
and then what happens?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterman View Post
I will agree with this 100%.

I can accept that at this point, with this group, Caryle hasn't been able to break through yet.

What we see in October 2012 in terms of who's on the roster and what the team's style of play is like coming out of a full training camp and exhbition game season under Caryle, will tell the tale.
I agree but it will be hard for Burke mainly because so many rival GMs dislike him and won't care one bit to help him out. Secondly, I don't see any teams taking our bad contracts like Komi, Armstrong, Connolly, etc. Thirdly, I don't see any available good 1C or 1G players out there as UFAs. Does that mean Burke trades for one and if so, what does he give up? Lastly, and most importantly is with a potential work stoppage looming, I see many GMs making moves (or lack of moves) with that in mind. Some teams will take the status quo route which will limit Burke's trading partners.

Burke's back is certainly up against the wall and he's desperate which tells me he will go down swinging if he has to this summer.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I don't know if you read this forum daily, but some of us were saying there were problems in Sept-Oct when we were winning, not all of us drank the koolaid, not sure what you are talking about with that generalization "everyone".
Amen, was right there with you. It didn't take long after the first 5 games to see deep, underlying issues with this team even when they were winning

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Really that means nothing. You really think MLSE likes spending to the cap and getting no playoff home dates? Montreal fans are infamously more hypercritical than Leafs fans and look where that has got them.
They'll just raise ticket and concession prices again. Who from MLSE actually knows anything about hockey and would step in to fire Burke?

Old
03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
They'll just raise ticket and concession prices again. Who from MLSE actually knows anything about hockey and would step in to fire Burke?
Again? Can't remember the last time they were raised, they were discounted coming out of the lockout.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Not to mention they're now owned by Rogers and Bell, so if you really want to cut them off, you'd have to not only not buy tickets, but not watch the games and not listen to them on the radio.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Not to mention they're now owned by Rogers and Bell, so if you really want to cut them off, you'd have to not only not buy tickets, but not watch the games and not listen to them on the radio.
and then what happens?

Old
03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Quote:
The two media mogul owners recognize that there are numerous synergies and profitable opportunities to stream affiliated content from broadcasting games to fans across the globe to reality shows featuring the Leafs, he added.

"You're getting cheap content because you're not going to be paying any licensing fees to anybody for access to the Leafs, the Leafs in turn are getting free promotion... it's like the greatest PR coup in the world," Wong said.
There's the reason they bought this team. Content, content, content! That's all the introductory presser was about and it really got on my nerves.

I'd love to see someone put $$$ signs on the eyes of these three goofs

Old
03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
ForzaItalia

I work for Bell.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:05 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
I work for Bell.
Well you're not the CEO though, you're not the money hungry decision maker

Old
03-20-2012, 10:07 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I actually met George Cope. He gets some ridiculous buyout package in the millions not to mention cashing in his stock options if he's fired.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
pspot

the problem is out of this roster how many will Carlyle realistically want on his team?
how many actually fit the mold?

this team needs to make the playoffs next year, or i guess Burke needs to them too

he's got no capspace
not to many tradeable assets
and the only players that seem to be a fit for his new coach aren't playoff ready let alone NHL ready for at least another year or two i.e. Frattin, Ashton, Biggs

I just don't see how he's going to pull this off in one off season unless
maybe overpay for a goalie and hope that's enough

will be interesting to see how it plays out, he's surprised with trades before so maybe he's got one more in him to save his job.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
I actually met George Cope. He gets some ridiculous buyout package in the millions not to mention cashing in his stock options if he's fired.
Life is rough, eh?

Old
03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
the problem is out of this roster how many will Carlyle realistically want on his team?
how many actually fit the mold?

this team needs to make the playoffs next year, or i guess Burke needs to them too

he's got no capspace
not to many tradeable assets
and the only players that seem to be a fit for his new coach aren't playoff ready let alone NHL ready for at least another year or two i.e. Frattin, Ashton, Biggs

I just don't see how he's going to pull this off in one off season unless
maybe overpay for a goalie and hope that's enough

will be interesting to see how it plays out, he's surprised with trades before so maybe he's got one more in him to save his job.
Impossible, that's why I'm saying we'll lose Kessel to UFA without anything to show for it

Old
03-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterman View Post
A high draft pick that pans out and isn't Alexander Daigle would be great.

Losing 8-0 to the Bruins to get that high draft pick still stings a lot.
Certainly, but with all the "lol this team is terrible I hope they lose 6-0 to the teams chasing them" talk, I'm amazed at how some of the same advocates are "surprised' and outraged that the team got curbstomped by the Bruins 8-0 in what was arguably the best game the Bruins have played this season.

Like I said, I'm pissed off at the effort level too, but given how the Bruins have been our Achilles' Heel all season long, I wasn't going to be surprised if we got destroyed again. Disappointed, but not surprised or outraged. It's like the Sabres of old and the Sens of older old.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
The Leafs are like a license to print money for MLSE, but still the previous majority owners the Ontario Teachers pension fund sold off their cash cow.

One has to ask why they would do that to such a financially sound profitable company?

After watching last nights game and total domination at the hands of the Bruins the OTPP are likely sitting home smiling that they got out when they did.. Let new ownership try and spend their way to success as it certainly didn't work for them.

03-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Not sure how that shows that him and Burke don't agree?
That was an interview Nonis said that himself, the quote was from the Journal saying he has done some good things in Vancouver.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Either way, he still leads their team in goals and points...at 20 years old.
Which just goes to show you that his team is built on depth, not on a few elite players.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
I was at the game.

I have to say the Leaf fans are very cool. I have ST and have met many fans from other teams over the years and the Leaf's fans are some of the best. I loved the 4 with the bags over their heads. They were good sports.

I hope your team gets it together as I like the Leafs and their fans. Best of Luck. If the Bruins could win the cup after 39 years the Leafs will get there too.

03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Ouch, just what the bruins needed to get going

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
ForzaItalia

It's like a stock that went belly up after everyone bought into the hype: