HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Deep and Diverse Group Populate Dallas Stars Top-20

Old
06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I'm disappointed that Mark may move on, but the official site has been doing really well this summer with the prospect updates.

Here is what was said about Alex Chiasson:

Quote:
In fact, despite having yet to play an NHL game, Stars Director of Player Personnel Les Jackson has already handed Chiasson a moniker every young hockey player seeks.

“He’s a pro,” Jackson said. “Like (Jack) Campbell, (Patrik) Nemeth, (Brenden) Dillon, he’s got it. You can tell by watching a player whether or not he’s got hockey intelligence. And he’s got it. There’s no question.”
Quote:
“I was impressed with his presence and the detail in his game,” White said. “He’s got a big frame, but he also has great attention to detail, especially defensively on his reads and on the forecheck getting back into his own zone. I really like that a lot. It’s impressive to see that kind of detail from a big guy, plus he’s a very strong man along the wall.”

“His skating has improved,” White said. “He’s come a long way in that regard since we saw him a couple of years ago at BU. That’s the only thing we were concerned about, but he’s so much more fluid now than he was then and he really carries the puck with speed when he gets up and running. He’s also added even more power and strength, so I don’t really see any issues with him moving ahead.”
Quote:
“He could probably play at 220 or so, and he probably will at some point,” Jackson said. “When he’s 24 or 25, he’ll be at full maturity and he’ll be a handful to deal with. He’s got a big body, but right now his mind is more advanced than his body – and that’s not a bad thing. He’s a smart guy who’s got a mind for hockey.”

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I agree the article is good, but wasn't that Doug Foster and not Mark writing it though?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:40 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm disappointed that Mark may move on, but the official site has been doing really well this summer with the prospect updates.

Here is what was said about Alex Chiasson:
mark also did state he was going to be working with the official site on some things

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I agree the article is good, but wasn't that Doug Foster and not Mark writing it though?
I know it wasn't Mark. I was pointing out that the article is very similar to what Mark has done in the past (this off season even), and it makes him potentially moving on not nearly as bad should they continue.

Txomisc, yeah that is awesome. I hope he stays on full time with the team. That would honestly be amazing, but this Foster guy has some potential too. It's not like Mark every did rumors so he could basically do the same thing on the official website that's he's done for ESPN and his own website in the past.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Mark just wrote a lengthy article profiling the job the team's scouts do. I think some people were asking about specific ranges and responsibilities before and this makes some of them clearer.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Mark just wrote a lengthy article profiling the job the team's scouts do. I think some people were asking about specific ranges and responsibilities before and this makes some of them clearer.
That's right up there as one of my all time favorite articles. Wow ... that was really great to hear about the scouting process.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Think he'll ever make the NHL?
Don't think so. He played against us in our men's league in NJ last night. Dude only scored 3 goals. Come on. Gotta put up better numbers than that in men's league.

FOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:40 AM
TrillMike

^ He's talking about Vance in case you are wondering.

Maybe he wasn't trying/drinking. Was he playing D?

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:58 AM
batmansuncle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOD View Post
Don't think so. He played against us in our men's league in NJ last night. Dude only scored 3 goals. Come on. Gotta put up better numbers than that in men's league.
are you basing him not making the NHL off of how he played at a mens league game? lol

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Sounded like sarcasm to me.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOD View Post

I don't think he'd go pro to score anyways. And as said before, if not sarcasm, I doubt he was trying.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
^ He's talking about Vance in case you are wondering.

Maybe he wasn't trying/drinking. Was he playing D?
I believe a little of both. And yes he was playing D. Sick Shot though. Well, for men's league.

FOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
We typically start the polls about 2 to 3 weeks after the draft. That gives everyone some time to learn about the new draftees and also provides enough of a buffer, I think, to try to avoid "shiny new prospect syndrome" wherein everyone would rank the new guys too high just because they're excited about them.

I'd prefer to keep it to a top-20 list to remain consistent with years past. It's great that the system is no longer as pathetic as it once was, but that doesn't mean we have to rank everyone. Interest starts waning after a certain point anyway.

For the purposes of our rankings Larsen, Vincour, and Bachman will all be considered graduated. So that does open up 3 spots.
I don't want to rush you but do you have date in your mind when you will start the top-20 list?
Thank you

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Well it will be after Development Camp ends, that's for sure. Don't worry, soon.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:55 AM
BigG44

NHL.com's 30 Teams, 30 Days: Dallas Stars

NHL.com's Top 10 Prospects for the Dallas Stars are:
  1. Jack Campbell, G
  2. Jamie Oleksiak, D
  3. Brenden Dillon, D
  4. Radek Faksa, C
  5. Scott Glennie, RW
  6. Matt Fraser, RW
  7. Patrik Nemeth, D
  8. Reilly Smith, RW
  9. Alex Chiasson, RW
  10. Brett Ritchie, RW

All of the quotes are from Les Jackson, but they were in previous Mark Stepneski articles on the official site. No need to re-post those.

Old
08-04-2012, 01:14 PM
batmansuncle

Quote:
NHL.com's Top 10 Prospects for the Dallas Stars are:
  1. Jack Campbell, G
  2. Jamie Oleksiak, D
  3. Brenden Dillon, D
  4. Radek Faksa, C
  5. Scott Glennie, RW
  6. Matt Fraser, RW
  7. Patrik Nemeth, D
  8. Reilly Smith, RW
  9. Alex Chiasson, RW
  10. Brett Ritchie, RW

All of the quotes are from Les Jackson, but they were in previous Mark Stepneski articles on the official site. No need to re-post those.
not sure i agree with that order. Chiasson should be a lot higher

Also i think we're good on RW lol

Old
08-04-2012, 01:27 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I believe Fraser is a LW, not sure about Ritchie.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Glennie #5?!

I'll believe that when he finally shows something at the pro level.

08-04-2012, 01:48 PM
batmansuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I believe Fraser is a LW, not sure about Ritchie.
Ritchie is a RW

Old
08-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Glennie #5?!

I'll believe that when he finally shows something at the pro level.
well most reports seemed to indicate that he really picked him game up as the year went on and became a very valuable player for the Texas Stars. Hopefully he'll be leading the team as a two way forward this time around.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:03 AM
BigG44

Article from Mark on the official site about Brett Ritchie:

One quote that stuck out to me was from J.J. McQueen. I think I remember it from a previous article, but I believe it was never posted.

The Stars strength and conditioning coach said Ritchie, of all the prospects, made the most significant gain in size, strength, and quickness.

Stransky was the most improved overall prospect last season according to Les Jackson (and I agree). I think Stransky has it in him to earn that distinction again, but I also believe Ritchie will be his biggest competition. If I was going to list 5 guys who could make the biggest improvements, it would be those two, Scott Glennie, Emil Molin, and Alex Guptill.

With Glennie, I see a bit of similarities between James Neal's development. They both put up impressive junior numbers but never quite dominated their leagues. Both dealt with nagging injuries yearly, including their first year of pros, and both scored close to a point per game in the second half of the rookie pro season in the AHL. Fraser is clearly the lead in the race for a final roster spot in the NHL, but I think he'll have some tough competition with Glennie and Chiasson.

Molin has the benefit of some younger prospects for Brynas moving on to NA. He's already experienced playing some competition against men, and he could finally see some decent ice time in Sweden.

I debated between Guptill and Vance here, but I think Guptill will have a harder time in a tougher league. If he's able to reproduce and actually improve in his sophomore year with Michigan, that would be a huge statement for his development.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:39 AM
BigG44

Jack Campbell article on the official site:

Quote:
“I don’t have any specific goals this season other than to win a championship with whatever team I play for, whether it’s in Austin winning that Calder Cup or helping the Dallas Stars win a Stanley Cup,” he said. “I am not focused on what team I play for, I just want to prepare the best I can, work as hard as I can and then come into camp and see what happens.”
We already heard he's gained 2" and 15 pounds as he matures physically, but I think this quote is an example of him maturing as well.

Last season in training camp, his goal was to make the AHL rather than go back to the OHL. Everyone knew that wasn't realistic, but it was an admirable goal. I think this new mentality of being the best goaltender possible rather than focusing on where he plays is a positive step.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:50 AM
BigG44

Hockey is officially back!!!!

At least in Sweden ... thanks so much NHL and NHLPA for the uncertainty of the NHL season!

Might be time to start up the 2012-13 prospect thread. Ludwig Bystrom is playing in a pre-season game today with MODO, and he will be paired with Kyle Cumiskey.

FUN NOTE: Mr. Wasted 1st Round Pick in a Bad Trade/Blast from the Past/Nearly Destroyer of James Neal's eye sight - Ladislav Nagy is playing for MODO this year I noticed according to the line combos.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
BigG44

European Trophy could be interesting for Stars fans this year. Dallas will have 3 prospects in the mix.

Emil Molin - Brynäs IF
Esa Lindell - Jokerit
Henri Kiviaho - KalPa

The first game of the tournament was July 31st, but the Dallas prospects don't get started until August 17th.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:27 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
Might be time to start up the 2012-13 prospect thread. Ludwig Bystrom is playing in a pre-season game today with MODO, and he will be paired with Kyle Cumiskey.
Go for it.