HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

#73 | SABRES at LIGHTNING | MON MAR 19 | 7:30PM ET

Old
03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
#73 | SABRES at LIGHTNING | MON MAR 19 | 7:30PM ET

GDT#73: SABRES (33-29-10) at LIGHTNING (32-32-7) – MON MAR 19 – 7:30PM ET – MSG-B, SUN (Full Story)

(AP) – The Buffalo Sabres have missed out on chances to boost their playoff hopes in each of the past two games, but
could have a better opportunity to help themselves in their next one against a struggling opponent.

The visiting Sabres, though, have yet to earn a point against the Tampa Bay Lightning this season and will try to avoid
getting swept in the season series for the first time Monday night.

Buffalo (33-29-10) has earned at least one point in four consecutive games and 13 of 15, but dropped two key points
last week with back-to-back shootout defeats. The Sabres went seven rounds Saturday before falling 3-2 in Florida.

"Any point you lose right now is a lot. If it was a half a point it would be a lot," coach Lindy Ruff said. "It's disappointing.
The points in the shootout are big points."

Currently out of the Eastern Conference's top eight, Ruff's team will try to bounce back by handing the Lightning their
sixth loss in seven games and a season high-tying third in a row at home.

A 3-1 loss to St. Louis on Saturday was the fourth for Tampa Bay (32-32-7) in five home games and the Lightning
were once again hurt by a poor offensive effort.

Tampa Bay didn't score until 4:11 remained in the third - Brendan Mikkelson's first goal in 116 NHL games - and tallied
its lone goal in a 3-1 defeat to Toronto on Thursday with 26 seconds left.

"We're not giving up," forward Teddy Purcell said. "It's easy to get down on ourselves and easy to fold the tent in, but
you really show who you are when you've got some adversity."

Those results have the Lightning five points behind the Sabres, but they have won all three games in this season
series, including a 3-0 home victory Oct. 22 that featured 21 saves from Mathieu Garon. Tampa Bay won 4-3 in Buffalo
three days later to complete a sweep of the home-and-home set and prevailed 2-1 during its return there Feb. 11.
SABRES HAVE LITTLE ROOM FOR FAILURE (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – Lindy Ruff figures it's about time the Sabres go on a 10-game winning streak.

Hey, what a coincidence. There are exactly 10 games left.

Buffalo's late run at a postseason spot is about to reach a new stress level. Following tonight's game at Tampa Bay,
the number of contests remaining dwindles to single digits. Obviously, time is running out for the Sabres if they want to
make the playoffs for the third straight year.

They will skate into Tampa Bay Times Forum in 10th place with 76 points, two behind the eighth-place Washington
Capitals. They have all played 72 games.

It's a time of high emotions, a mixture of excitement for being in the race and of worry about being on the outside
looking in. And what is the overriding thought for the Sabres' coach with 10 games left?

"Win 10 of them," Ruff said Sunday. "That's the overriding [thought], trying to put 10 of them together."

They need to start with one. Buffalo has lost in a shootout in back-to-back games, ruining Ruff's original make-the-
playoffs game plan.

When 20 games remained, the coach broke the season into four five-game segments. Treat them like individual
playoff series, Ruff said, and win each one, 4-1. It worked in the opening five games. During the last five, though, the
Sabres went 2-1-2.
HECHT SAYS HE'S NOT THE RETIRING TYPE QUITE YET (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – Jochen Hecht is trying to recover from his third concussion in the past year. He's approaching 35
years old. He's finishing up a $14.1 million contract.

Retirement has crossed the minds of many -- but not the Sabres' center.

"No," Hecht said Sunday. "I don't feel like I'm done."

Hecht, out since suffering his latest concussion Jan. 21, is back skating with his teammates. He hopes the noncontact
practice sessions will eventually turn into full-throttle games.

"It was back and forth for a while there, but I've been feeling pretty good for a while now," Hecht said in Tampa Bay
Times Forum. "Just being on the ice with the guys kind of makes my day now. I'm pretty happy about that."

Hecht has missed 44 games, including the last 24, because of two concussions suffered this season. With only 10
games left, including tonight against Tampa Bay, it's a long shot Hecht will be able to get physically fit before the
season ends.

"We still have a long way to go, but I want to be out there," Hecht said. "Hopefully, we can make the playoffs and see
what happens then.

"You never want to sit out as a player. You always want to battle and fight through injuries. I think I've seen this year
that you've got to give it time, let it heal, and we'll see what comes."
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING ACKNOWLEDGES SEASON LIKELY WON'T END WITH PLAYOFFS (Full Story)

(Tampa Bay Times) – It wasn't exactly a postmortem at the Tampa Bay Times Forum on Saturday night.

But Lightning players, after their fifth loss in six games, 3-1 to the Blues, acknowledged for the first time there likely will
not be a fairy tale ending to their season.

Tampa Bay (32-32-7) is only two points from the bottom of the Eastern Conference.

"It's tough. It's mentally tough," coach Guy Boucher said.

What makes the free fall tougher to take is that just two weeks ago the team was in the thick of the playoff race. But
losing No. 1 goaltender Mathieu Garon to a torn groin was the start of the downward spiral, and it continued a plague
of injuries that has worn out the team by forcing some players to play more minutes and take more responsibilities
than they can comfortably handle.

That ramped up again Saturday with the loss of wing Ryan Shannon to an upper-body injury. If he does not play
tonight against the Sabres, Tampa Bay will be without seven regulars, only a small improvement over a season-high
nine at one point in January.

Add the loss of defensemen Pavel Kubina and Matt Gilroy and right wing Steve Downie through trades and general
manager Steve Yzerman is loathe to blame anyone for a disappointing season.

"I've got to give our players and coaching staff credit for their resiliency to battle all year long with the injuries and
shortcomings and in terms of trades," Yzerman said. "They just kept plugging away and competed hard."

BUFFALO SABRES

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Above, LW2 is #82 Marcus Foligno. Matt Ellis (MCL), Nathan Gerbe (upper body) and Brayden McNabb were scratched
in Buffalo's last game, a 3-2 shootout loss in Florida on Saturday. Jochen Hecht (concussion) also missed Saturday's
game and remains on LTIR with his injury. Ellis and Gerbe will miss tonight's game, while Tyler Myers will serve game
three of his three-game suspension for this check on Montreal's Scott Gomez. The Sabres are starting Ryan Miller in
goal tonight against the Lightning.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo recalled Brayden McNabb from AHL/Rochester last Wednesday.

According to the Stats

Buffalo are: 27-3-2 when allowing two or fewer goals; 24-4-4 when scoring three or more; 20-4-6 when Derek Roy
records a point; 18-4-1 when Christian Ehrhoff records a point; 11-1-5 when Tyler Ennis records a point; and 6-2-2 in
their last ten games.

The Sabres have played an NHL-high 21 overtime games, including their last four and five of their last six.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Above, RW3 is #21 Brandon Segal, C4 is actually D7 #3 Keith Aulie, RW4 is #20 Tim Wallace, RD2 is #15 Brian Lee,
RD3 is #23 Mike Commodore and G1 is #40 Dustin Tokarski. Mathieu Garon (groin), Bruno Gervais (upper body),
Brandon Segal and Nate Thompson (upper body) were scratched in Tampa Bay's last game, a 3-1 loss to St. Louis on
Saturday. Marc-Andre Bergeron (back), Vinny Lecavalier (hand), Mattias Ohlund (knees) and Dana Tyrell (knee) also
missed Saturday's game due to injury. Ryan Shannon (upper body) left the game in the second period and is out
tonight. Adam Hall (upper body) finished the game, but is also out tonight. Tampa Bay are starting Dustin Tokarski in
goal tonight versus Buffalo.

Weekly Transactions

Tampa Bay signed Vladislav Namestnikov to a three-year ELC last Tuesday. Tampa Bay recalled Trevor Smith from
AHL/Norfolk on Saturday. Tampa Bay announced today that they have signed Sebastien Caron to a one-year contract,
Alex Killorn to a two-year ELC and recalled Pierre Cedric-Labrie from Norfolk.

According to the Stats

Tampa Bay are: 1-3-0 on their seven-game homestand; and 5-4-1 in their last ten games.

Dustin Tokarski is 1-2-1 with a 2.79 goals-against average in his first four NHL starts, while Dwayne Roloson is 0-3-0
with a 4.81 GAA over his last four appearances and 0-7-2 with a 4.05 GAA in nine career matchups with Buffalo.

BUFFALO SABRES

1. Can this team ACTUALLY do it? (ALL PLAYOFF CHASE DISCUSSION HERE) <17000 views>

2. Summer Roster Moves: The Speculation Thread <9000 views>

3. Hecht - No Plans to Retire <250 views>

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING (Forum)

1. Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread <51000 views>

2. IR: Ohlund, Tyrell, Bergeron, Lecavalier, Garon | DTD: Thompson, Shannon <18500 views>

3. Boucherisms <8500 views>

A/V CLUB

03/13: Brendan Shanahan explains the three game suspension for Buffalo's Tyler Myers. <1:55>

03/18: Lindy Ruff talks to the media in Tampa. <2:35>

03/18: Mike Weber talks to the media in Tampa. <2:31>

03/19: Lindy Ruff talks to the media before Buffalo's game in Tampa. <4:31>

03/19: Jason Pominville talks to the media before Buffalo's game in Tampa. <5:28>

03/19: Guy Boucher talks to the media before Tampa Bay's game against Buffalo. <1:37>

03/19: Brian Duff previews tonight's game from Tampa Bay Times Forum. <1:49>

03/19: Brittany Zion previews tonight's game from Tampa Bay Times Forum. <1:28>

03/19: Rick Peckham gives his keys to tonight's game from Tampa Bay Times Forum. <2:05>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

GAMEDAY STREAMS

GameCenter Live (subscription required); FirstRowSports and Wiziwig

Last edited by Woodhouse: 03-19-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
McTank

vCash: 500
Aquire the playoff spot!!!!!!!

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:05 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300

That's the sound of da goal horn

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:06 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
nut up or shut up time

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:20 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I will miss this game and something tells me thats a good thing...

2 points please and thank you....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Very nice GDT..... you are spoiling us with your work, Woody! (Keep spoiling us however)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:33 PM
sabresfan129103

just win. For love of god just win.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:33 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

By this time tomorrow the Sabres could be *gasp* a tie-breaker away from hockey in May.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:36 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

2-0 TB

Lickavallyay
Stamcoase

#nochance

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
playoffhero

You don't normally get this many second chances. Tomorrow will say a lot about where we currently are as an on ice product as a whole. Does this core still have the ability to step up in a big game? I say yes. Sabres win: 3-2.

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
2-0 TB

Lickavallyay
Stamcoase

#nochance
Vinny's out indefinitely with a hand injury, so choose another I think; though he could return this week. TB's lines are a cluster**** with eight regulars out injured.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:36 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Vinny's out indefinitely with a hand injury, so choose another I think; though he could return this week. TB's lines are a cluster**** with eight regulars out injured.
I thought he was to return for this game? That's why I picked him... I'm looking now to find where I read that.

If he doesn't play, gimme mahtan sanlouie... Figure stammers line is good for a couple.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:37 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I thought he was to return for this game? That's why I picked him... I'm looking now to find where I read that.

If he doesn't play, gimme mahtan sanlouie... Figure stammers line is good for a couple.
And figure our offense isn't

Old
03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
wow, is that right? Damn.

This is obviously huge (the game, not the injury issue). Am I confident? No. We need to lose two more before we go on the last hurrah of winning the final six to fall a point short of a berth.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Quote:
wow, is that right? Damn.
It looks like I'm off one. If Shannon and Lecavalier are indeed out, then it's seven.

I thought I read it was seven regulars out on one of the Tampa websites, so accounting for Shannon's injury Saturday that would make eight, but this article (LINK) says six regulars were out before that game, so make it seven.
Quote:
Tampa Bay has lost 233 man games to injury, 12th worst in the league. It is the team's second-worst season in that regard since 2002-03, surpassed by the 351 games lost in 2008-09.

The latest casualty is center Nate Thompson, who will not play tonight at the Tampa Bay Times Forum against the Blues, the league's No. 1 team, because of an undisclosed upper-body injury sustained in Thursday's loss to the Maple Leafs.

That makes six regulars sidelined because of injuries, including Lecavalier (fractured hand) and No. 1 goalie Mathieu Garon (groin).

That's down from a season-worst nine players out at one time, but still

Old
03-19-2012, 01:13 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
It looks like I'm off one. If Shannon and Lecavalier are indeed out, then it's seven.

I thought I read it was seven regulars out on one of the Tampa websites, so accounting for Shannon's injury Saturday that would make eight, but this article (LINK) says six regulars were out before that game, so make it seven.
Still a tremendous blow at seven or eight. We can empathize to an extent - but this late in the year sucks. I guess they were out of it even when significantly healthier, so

Old
03-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

win please

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:54 AM
CrazyPsycho

Cukes

CrazyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:21 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPsycho View Post
Cukes
Goner

Old
03-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Some Buffalo blurbs:
Quote:
John Vogl ‏ @BuffNewsVogl
Sabres finish practice with a shootout drill -- and score just once (Vanek) on 11 attempts.

Link: https://twitter.com/#!/BuffNewsVogl/...19609247850496
MILLER!!!
Quote:
John Vogl ‏ @BuffNewsVogl
Jochen Hecht, who is back skating with the Sabres in a noncontact role, said he has given no thought to retiring because of concussions.

Link: https://twitter.com/#!/BuffNewsVogl/...28600103387137
Quote:
Bill Hoppe ‏ @BillHoppeNHL
#Sabres deadline forwards --Moore/Torres/Boyes/Hodgson-- from acquis. 2 end of year (postseason included). 74 games, 7 goals, 6 from Boyes.

Link: https://twitter.com/#!/BillHoppeNHL/...14963732447232
♪ Brad Boyes, Brad Boyes ♪

As for the Lightning, Sebastien Caron will sign today, but won't be available tonight; Ryan Shannon (UBI) is doubtful; and the latest print I found on Vinny Lecavalier says that he'll return late this week:
Quote:
Erik Erlendsson ‏ @erlendssontrib
@ITman9 Will be announced on Monday and placed on waivers, earliest he can join the team is for Thursday's game; and have no way of knowing

Link: https://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontri...02684916645888
Quote:
Damian Cristodero ‏ @LightningTimes
Lightning's Shannon (upper body) doubtful for Monday vs Sabres, coach Boucher said.

Link: https://twitter.com/#!/LightningTime...01739238739968
Quote:
If there are no hitches, it sounds as if Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vinny Lecavalier could be back in the lineup late next week. The center will miss his 11th game tonight against the Bruins because of a fractured right hand sustained Feb. 18 against the Capitals.

"I'm hoping," Lecavalier said. "I want to play as soon as soon as possible but I have to be smart, too."

That's because the broken bone is next to the one broken last season on which Lecavalier had surgery. No surgery was required on the bone currently broken. But Lecavalier said he has taken MRI exams and CT scans every 10-12 days to monitor how the it is healing.

Lecavalier said all indications are things are going in the right direction, though he still cannot stick-handle or shoot -- "I tried it with a puck and it didn't feel too good, still" -- he said he hopes to be doing both by the end of this week.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to stick-handle and shoot and get another MRI and a CT scan and see where things are at and go from there," Lecavalier said.

Link: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...late-next-week

Old
03-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Endless

amazing that both games worked out in our favor last night , cmon buffalo !!!

Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:13 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Please win somehow...

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:11 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
amazing that both games worked out in our favor last night , cmon buffalo !!!
And yet Buffalo keeps finding ways not to take advantage of these gifts.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
And yet Buffalo keeps finding ways not to take advantage of these gifts.
well yeah i know it sucks , i was at the avs game , but we would only have 1-2 more points , it is big at this point but not a killer , we just have to stay level with the jets/caps until we play Washington

Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
And if any fans can recall what it's like to have that sort of lineup scramble, it would be us. Buffalo will top 300 man-games lost for the season shortly, given Hecht and Ellis long-term issues... so we at least can empathize.