Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One Night in Winnipeg...

Old
03-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Tintin's Ghost

vCash: 500
One Night in Winnipeg...

I'm not one to create threads because I prefer to respond (usually sarcastically) to others. However, here is a great little article I found on Twitter. Was written by a Fox Sports writer for Dallas and offers up one American sports' fans perspective of the MTS crowd. Some of you may be pleasantly surprised that Winnipeg's passion is the envy of other cities. Not just NHL, but in any North American pro sport. CONGRATS WINNIPEG FANS.

Article here

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/03...blockID=689114

Also worth noting that ever since Friday's game, Blake Wheeler has been Tweeting with the hashtag #bestfansintheleague so the he definitely appreciates!

Tanner Glass shared his opinion and that's great. But no need for the drama because here is the impact that Winnipeg fans are making on the NHL.

BE LOUD and PROUD Winnipeg. Best fans in the league indeed!

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:16 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Nice article.
I love how he put that we chant "Lets go Jets" as opposed to "Go Jets Go".
Anyways, nice to see that our fans, arena and city is getting some love.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:20 PM
bazaaa*

vCash: 50
Great article. I never really thought about it from that side. "Social scene" is what stuck. Watch some of the game, answer some texts/emails, go up and have a drink, bite to eat, walk around, etc. For us, we can't imagine missing any of the game.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Cool article

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Great Article. Thanks for posting. I was there that night. Back there tonight. Feeling pumped.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Skidooboy

Winnipeg has gone from punchline to icon.

We are the envy of every owner in the league. The players are having an experience in this city they will never feel again. Players will make winnipeg preference in contract negotiations to come here to play in the beest hockey market IN THE WORLD!!!!

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
MadMen88

Fuelled by Passion. JIMMY SLATER'S getting a goal tonight!!!

MadMen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post

We are the envy of every owner in the league. The players are having an experience in this city they will never feel again. Players will make winnipeg preference in contract negotiations to come here to play in the beest hockey market IN THE WORLD!!!!
Quoted for truth.

GO JETS GO

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Hope you don't mind but I just posted the article on the main boards in an ongoing debate over the loadest and quietest places in the league.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If the fans, management, and on-ice performance continue to excel, we may ineed become almost a preferred destination for players. But we're a ways off just yet.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Gaald

vCash: 1580
I found the article condescending and there were a lot of facts he got wrong. Classic big city American attitude.

Gaald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 04:35 PM
El Troubadour

vCash: 484
Thanks for sharing, just puts everything into perspective regarding how much this team really means to all Manitobans.

El Troubadour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Nice read.

Pretty typical representation of Winnipeg from a sports journalist from a big city in the States. Some of the things he said may insult some, but I don't think that was the writers intent.

The fact that he misspelled tiniest and it got past his editor too says a lot about how far print media has fallen.

03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Nice read.

Pretty typical representation of Winnipeg from a sports journalist from a big city in the States. Some of the things he said may insult some, but I don't think that was the writers intent.

The fact that he misspelled tiniest and it got past his editor too says a lot about how far print media has fallen.
Good catch, I didn't notice that.

But I did notice one misused "it's" and one "their."

However, to be fair, it isn't print media.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
Good catch, I didn't notice that.

But I did notice one misused "it's" and one "their."

However, to be fair, it isn't print media.
It would be interesting to see if the article appeared in print form as it did there.

Either way, when you are talking newspaper journalists, what is supposed to separate them from bloggers is attention to detail, in fact checking, grammar and spelling and that has seemed to have really degenerated.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:58 PM
CPAir

Nice to see a feelgood article about Winnipeg that for once didn't start off with the usual cliches, weather jokes and negatives, etc...

I don't quite understand how the writer got "Let's Go Jets" instead of "GO JETS GO"

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:16 PM
HookeyPlayer

Anyone concerned that the jeering of opposing players may backfire and some players may not want to sign with Winnipeg during free agency?

HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:50 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:

Not sure if serious.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Vander Teemuchuk

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Vander Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaald View Post
I found the article condescending and there were a lot of facts he got wrong. Classic big city American attitude.
This. I'm certain it wasn't intentional, but it's brutally condescending. It really did showcase just how weak the state of American sports fandom is. They don't really care about the game itself, they just wanna be a part of the hype. I really feel it's a big part of why the game can't grow in the US. There's not enough "hype" for them to get into, and they can't appreciate the game for what it is.

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
This. I'm certain it wasn't intentional, but it's brutally condescending. It really did showcase just how weak the state of American sports fandom is. They don't really care about the game itself, they just wanna be a part of the hype. I really feel it's a big part of why the game can't grow in the US. There's not enough "hype" for them to get into, and they can't appreciate the game for what it is.
really?...you don't think brutally condescending might be a bit harsh? It's definitely got a bit of a "big guy envies the little guy" thing going on but comparative to a number of other articles that have come out about Winnipeg (one in sports illustrated comes to mind) it's pretty decent.

And I think you might be onto something regarding the "hype". I actually liked the insight into the "American spectacle" of hockey, and that they have all that other fluff going on at their arena seems really foreign to me. Why are you going to watch a game, if your not watching the game?

this may be part of the reason their arena's can be so dull and the crowed so apathetic- they're going to be seen, not heard.

Last edited by Grind: 03-19-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: edit for grammer
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Hey guys, I live in a big city in the states sooooo... What parts did you find condescending? The article wasn't written to Manitobans but to Texans but I assume you don't mean he was condescending to his readers but slighting you. I wouldn't want to try and compliment you guys and end up callously insulting you instead so what parts rankled? The parts about the two biggest cities in Province and saying no one travels to Winnipeg by accident or more of the general tone? I felt the writer misinterpreted what happened in Atlanta too, but it is his opinion.

I'm a little reticent to ask, but I am asking sincerely, not maliciously.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Hey guys, I live in a big city in the states sooooo... What parts did you find condescending? The article wasn't written to Manitobans but to Texans but I assume you don't mean he was condescending to his readers but slighting you. I wouldn't want to try and compliment you guys and end up callously insulting you instead so what parts rankled? The parts about the two biggest cities in Province and saying no one travels to Winnipeg by accident or more of the general tone? I felt the writer misinterpreted what happened in Atlanta too, but it is his opinion.

General tone, but yes, that line about "Manitoba has nothing but Winnipeg" pissed me off as a rural Manitoban from birth. That comment about how it's the only game in town, with all due respect to the Bombers, thing pissed me off too, as a die-hard Bomber fan (far bigger fan of WBB than Jets). Again, as I'd said, I know it wasn't intentional, and he's not writing for us, he's writing for his audience, so it's fine. It makes me roll my eyes more than anything, and reaffirms a lotta beliefs I have about Americans, and specifically, those from the south.

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post

People are just being sensitive.
Considering its written to a Texas audience I don't think it's condescending at all. I see where people are coming from, but like I said I think they're being to sensitive.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:30 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
General tone, but yes, that line about "Manitoba has nothing but Winnipeg" pissed me off as a rural Manitoban from birth. That comment about how it's the only game in town, with all due respect to the Bombers, thing pissed me off too, as a die-hard Bomber fan (far bigger fan of WBB than Jets). Again, as I'd said, I know it wasn't intentional, and he's not writing for us, he's writing for his audience, so it's fine. It makes me roll my eyes more than anything, and reaffirms a lotta beliefs I have about Americans, and specifically, those from the south.
Gotcha. At first, as I read it I saw a little of that but it didn't jump out at me as much as it would have to you guys.

Side note, stereotypes exist for a reason, but I wouldn't let the article reaffirm your view of all southern Americans. There are a wide variety of personalities and attitudes in the south, just like there is where you live.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote