HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#72 - 03.19.2012 | New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers (Playoffs Clinched!)

Old
03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It was a 3-2 game. The refs should have called Henrique for boarding. The same way they nailed Dubinsky for boarding. Dubinsky hit the NJ player from the side. Shoulder to shoulder. That wasn't a penalty. Either call them both or stop wasting everyones time with giving Dubinsky a 2 minute minor.
Bingo. Refs let the Devils get away with a LOT last night. Gabby got tripped up/interfered with at least twice when he was about to blow past a defender. Then they call some phantom call on McD.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Then you play hard, and dominate them physically. That is how you send a message. Having a bunch of enforcers putting on a show is a waste of time. You want to sent a message, nail Kovalchuck/Malkin/Crosby. Thats how you send a message. If one of your guys has liberties taken against him, its perfectly fine to fight. Opening draw? That is some childish nonsense.

I don't watch hockey to watch the WWF.
Really? I couldn't tell with all the faux falling from some of the Pens. I swear to God, Crosby sells better than Davey Richards.

And you're starting to sound irritatingly like those no-nothing talking heads on TV.

Last edited by Death By BB Gun: 03-20-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Prust was looking at the puck, Henrique was looking at Prust.

I think if It is in the Devil's zone and Henrique is a defenseman, for example, that is called interference.
That's something I thought about when I saw the replay. Prust was going to make the hockey play, Henrique was going for the hit. How is that hit any different from a defender skating back to touch up for an icing that gets hit 3 ft from the boards? There isn't. It should have been called. That's the kind of thing I thought the league was trying to crack down on.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Stu Bickel(41 GP) has more points (8) than Cam Janssen(46 GP), Eric Boulton (48 GP), and Ryan Carter (63 GP) have COMBINED (7).

He is also a +4, while those three are a combined -34.

Keep playing that line DeLoser.

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
Really? I couldn't tell with all the faux falling from some of the Pens. I swear to God, Crosby sells better than Davey Richards.

And you're starting to sound irritatingly like those no-nothing talking heads on TV.
Thats fine, but even Torts agrees with what I am saying.

Save your cheap digs for someone who cares what you think.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Faxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
"Usual"????

I don't recall seeing Hagelin be "lazy" let alone usually...he got caught short at the end of the shift.
That poster is always complaining about Hagelin, I wouldn't read too much into it.

When are guys planning to start growing the playoff beard?!

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Bingo. Refs let the Devils get away with a LOT last night. Gabby got tripped up/interfered with at least twice when he was about to blow past a defender. Then they call some phantom call on McD.
I've noticed an upswing in interference that hasn't been called in general of late. Seems like the refs have been letting it go.

03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Then you play hard, and dominate them physically. That is how you send a message. Having a bunch of enforcers putting on a show is a waste of time. You want to sent a message, nail Kovalchuck/Malkin/Crosby. Thats how you send a message. If one of your guys has liberties taken against him, its perfectly fine to fight. Opening draw? That is some childish nonsense.

I don't watch hockey to watch the WWF.
Ironically, sending that "message" of nailing Kovalchuk (or equivalent superstar) is cause for the NHL to **** it's pants and start dolling out unnecessary suspensions and fines. That kind of "message" isn't permitted by the NHL anymore, regardless of how clean the hit may or may not have been. Unless you are sending out Gaborik to nail Kovalchuk, expect substantial league response, and frankly, I don't want Gaborik looking to do that.

That "bunch of enforcers" can actually play hockey (which can't be said for 2 of the 3 the Devils sent out). Prust, Rupp, and Bickel aren't explicitly fighters or goons. Boulton and Janssen are nothing more than goons. Childish nonsense? Blame the guy who sent out the goons looking for it. That "childish nonsense" fired up the team like they haven't been in months. Did you see Dubinsky's reaction? That was more than just getting the monkey off his back. The Rangers WANTED to dismantle them after that, and was exactly the wake-up call that they needed, mired in that slump. It wasn't done to respond to a clean hit (a la some of the BS fights you see lately, that you seem to want: "Taking liberties."), it was done to set the tone that they will NOT BACK DOWN when you try to intimidate them, which is exactly what PDB was trying to do. I might go as far as to say that is a season-defining moment for both clubs.

WWE? Get a grip. This is still the toughest sport on earth, and this will happen between two teams that knowingly despise each other, down to their coaches.

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Faxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I've noticed an upswing in interference that hasn't been called in general of late. Seems like the refs have been letting it go.
They're just gearing up for the playoffs

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yup. It seems fairly obvious to me that the league has decided they're going to go back to allowing certain types of obstruction in an effort to slow certain parts of the game down, thus reducing the amount of high-speed collisions and concussion-like injuries.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
bubba5

Was there any news on Prust? I have not heard anything so I assume he is ok.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxius View Post
When are guys planning to start growing the playoff beard?!
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1138611

Hellion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:57 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
What was said by Boomer?
No, Boomer played the recording of DeBoer taking a shot at torts

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Ironically, sending that "message" of nailing Kovalchuk (or equivalent superstar) is cause for the NHL to **** it's pants and start dolling out unnecessary suspensions and fines. That kind of "message" isn't permitted by the NHL anymore, regardless of how clean the hit may or may not have been. Unless you are sending out Gaborik to nail Kovalchuk, expect substantial league response, and frankly, I don't want Gaborik looking to do that.

That "bunch of enforcers" can actually play hockey (which can't be said for 2 of the 3 the Devils sent out). Prust, Rupp, and Bickel aren't explicitly fighters or goons. Boulton and Janssen are nothing more than goons. Childish nonsense? Blame the guy who sent out the goons looking for it. That "childish nonsense" fired up the team like they haven't been in months. Did you see Dubinsky's reaction? That was more than just getting the monkey off his back. The Rangers WANTED to dismantle them after that, and was exactly the wake-up call that they needed, mired in that slump. It wasn't done to respond to a clean hit (a la some of the BS fights you see lately, that you seem to want: "Taking liberties."), it was done to set the tone that they will NOT BACK DOWN when you try to intimidate them, which is exactly what PDB was trying to do. I might go as far as to say that is a season-defining moment for both clubs.

WWE? Get a grip. This is still the toughest sport on earth, and this will happen between two teams that knowingly despise each other, down to their coaches.
Great post Dfence033. I'm a Euro who usually sees fighting as a sideshow (well, at least when two goons start hitting eachother for no real reason), but that fight was something special. It was the mentality behind what happened as you described it. It was a great sparkplug for the team and the fans were livid.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:06 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Great post Dfence033. I'm a Euro who usually sees fighting as a sideshow (well, at least when two goons start hitting eachother for no real reason), but that fight was something special. It was the mentality behind what happened as you described it. It was a great sparkplug for the team and the fans were livid.
agree with u and the quoted. it revved everyone up

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Whatever you guys do, don't watch the PTI comments about the beginning. I used to like the show, until this garbage.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:01 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
Whatever you guys do, don't watch the PTI comments about the beginning. I used to like the show, until this garbage.
Can't be surprised. I love Kornheiser and Wilbon but they think letting rapists, criminals and murders (coughRayLewiscough) compete is better than fighting.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Pizza

I have no idea what the future holds for Stu Bickel, but it sure is nice to see yet another non drafted Rangers prospect make the best of an opportunity and grab some NHL playing time.

It's a long way from Bakersfield Bick. Good for you man

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Bickel's a subpar d-man and he shouldn't be on our playoff roster playing D, if everything was going perfectly.

But i'd rather him than John Scott on the 4th line. Hell, put him there for Prust and let Prust rest.
No one will ever mistake Bickel for Ryan McDonagh, but I've seen the guy make some very nice plays.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Agreed, we got some passengers on this team though(even if those passengers do work hard). Its why I don't think its our cup run year. They need to make some hard decisions in the off season.
Awfully nice of you to include that

I'd say that judging by some of the players post game comments, "passenger" would not be a word that his teammates would use to describe him.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Awfully nice of you to include that

I'd say that judging by some of the players post game comments, "passenger" would not be a word that his teammates would use to describe him.
Perhaps not the teammates, and perhaps not the optimal word to describe the intent of what I was saying. I think there are a couple players that are simply serviceable when they have to be a bit more dynamic.

I think its going to be apparent in the playoffs. There are probably going to have to upgrade key areas. I feel this playoff run is going to be the testing ground for what upgrades are needed.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:23 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is not the way the league works.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
truebluegoalie

Went back a couple of pages and did not see this posted yet, so apologize if I missed it. I called it this that night, knew the league wouldn't like having that brawl on National TV. I can see it now though the visiting team sends out a line of goons, but the home team can't because they will get fined/suspended and the visiting team beats up on the home teams stars, also this proposal kills the final line change rule for at least opening faceoffs, unless they penalize the visiting team for putting goons out to start, either way it could hurt strategy of one or both teams. Hopefully they would fine both:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=390928

CAMPBELL: RULE CHANGES POSSIBLE AFTER DEVILS-RANGERS BRAWL

NHL executive vice-president Colin Campbell says the NHL may be willing to contemplate some rule changes following Monday night's melee in the opening seconds of the game between the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils.

In the game, three fights took place simultaneously as soon as the puck was dropped to start the game.

In an interview with ESPN hockey insider Pierre LeBrun, Campbell said it would not be out of the question for the NHL to institute a rule similar to the one employed in the last five minutes of a game. Rule 46.22 - which Campbell helped institute - says that an instigator fighting penalty in the last five minutes of a game carries with it a one-game suspension and a $10,000 fine levied to the offending team's head coach.

"What we did with the competition committee coming out of the lockout, we crafted a new rule at the end of the game," Campbell told ESPN.com. "We put the onus on the coach and the player."

Campbell explained to Lebrun that the new rule would follow in the footsteps of Rule 46.22, and could become a possibility if there was an appetite for it among the 30 NHL general managers and the NHL Competition Committee.

"If the GMs find this [line brawl from Monday night] unacceptable, maybe we'd craft it the same way at the start of the game, put the onus on both the player and the coach? Or you'd have to find a current interpretation of the rulebook," Campbell said.

LeBrun reported that NHL GM's were not happy with the brawl and said the issue may be discussed again next summer as part of talks for the next Collective Bargaining Agreement.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Why is this such a big deal? I thought it was awesome.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

nobody got an instigator penalty in the brawl, so who cares?

if they want to stop crap like that, just eliminate fighting altogether. its really the only way to stop it. what are they going to do...say no fights in the first 5 minutes, and no fights in the last 5? thats so stupid.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote