HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils @ Senators | Tuesday March 20th, 7:30PM | SNET-E/RDS

Old
03-21-2012, 12:24 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
I agree with this. Without Spezza, we don't really have anyone who can create something for the people around them. We don't have the depth on the team to make up for a loss like Spezza this year. Hopefully we'll have more scoring depth next year!
+1. Spezza holds this team together. He's probably in the league's top 5 forwards this season only behind guys like Malkin, and Stamkos. One the same level as Giroux.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Canuckman44

Teams are fighting for position. There is more intensity this time of year. The better teams will step up and the others who are overachieving will often drop. Not a big deal, increases the draft position for the rebuild.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Teams are fighting for position. There is more intensity this time of year. The better teams will step up and the others who are overachieving will often drop. Not a big deal, increases the draft position for the rebuild.

From playoffs to draft position.

Wow, just wow. There are no words for the wackiness of these boards sometimes.

Just stop.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:33 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

It's hard to be optimistic when the puck isn't going into the net. It's frustrating to watch. Even the win on Friday was frustrating. A win this Friday could change a lot of things but at the moment they aren't pretty. And there's nothing wrong with fans being worried. We are sitting in a playoff spot and expectations grew. We all want to see them make the playoffs but just because they are rebuilding isn't an excuse to let it slip.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:38 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Toronto and Montreal are fighting for a position? It's nothing to do with overachieving. They are in a slump. It's simple. They can get out it, hopefully it's not too late.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:46 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Disappointing to see a lack of offence if I'm honest, but I'm sure we can pull ourselves out of this mini slump...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
3-2-2 with a 1.95 GAA and .925 SV%

It's a shame our offence dried up, we'd be pretty close to locking up a playoff spot by now.
it's actually shocking that a goalie with a sub-2.00 GAA and .925 SV% has lost more games than he's won.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
MAK19

So yeah, watched the last 10 minutes of the game last night, wtf was Konopka doing out there for half the PPs? From healthy scratch to #1 PP guy?

I think at one time it was Michalek - Konopka - Alfredsson

And then the 5-on-3 with 3 d-men and Matt effing Gilroy

I know the PP, but at least give it a chance to succeed. Anybody would have been better than Konopka.

Pick the right people for the PP and stick with it. Chemistry needs to build.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Kuba - Karlsson

Foligno - Turris - Neil
Gilroy - Gonchar

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:57 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
So yeah, watched the last 10 minutes of the game last night, wtf was Konopka doing out there for half the PPs? From healthy scratch to #1 PP guy?

I think at one time it was Michalek - Konopka - Alfredsson

And then the 5-on-3 with 3 d-men and Matt effing Gilroy

I know the PP, but at least give it a chance to succeed. Anybody would have been better than Konopka.

Pick the right people for the PP and stick with it. Chemistry needs to build.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Kuba - Karlsson

Foligno - Turris - Neil
Gilroy - Gonchar
obviously for faceoffs and net drive.

our net drive last night was pathetic...so many rebounds we made their goalie look good

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
operasen

Team looks tired and their compete level was off last night. Too many time turning away from the net presence and rebounds; too many perimetre shots; too many shots right at Hedberg's chest.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
The issue is from spots 8-12 besides Washington you could say are all overachieving.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
So guys like Smith, Condra, and others thought they clinched a playoff spot 22 games ago?

Sorry, but when this team was firing, they were getting contributions from everyone. Right now, if Karlsson or Spezza aren't setting it up, it isn't going into net. This team needs everyone on board, especially when the playoffs aren't a sure thing.
You can see the difference in play. The role players on this team did a lot more during our winning streaks to contribute. I think there is a strong possibility that the top teams need a rest too to get ready for the playoffs. You still try and win every game but do you really want other teams studying how it is you play? Maybe the reason why our PP sucks right now and our top players are not firing on all cylinders is because the team wants to hold a little back not to say to the league, "hey everyone, this is what we do in this situation and this is what we do in that situation". Same can be said why you don't see players playing really physical or blocking shots. At some point you got to take it down a level to insure you will be ready.

It's a rare thing to have a team dominate from game 1 of the season and win the Stanley cup.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post

our net drive last night was pathetic...so many rebounds we made their goalie look good
IMO it was Maclean trying to send a message to other players. Seriously Konopka AND Neil on the same PP. Doesn't make sense.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post

Alright but Konopka probably had the 2nd highest PP time among forward in that 3rd period (just guessing) behind Alfie. C'mon, anyone else, like Smith, Foligno, Neil, O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
IMO it was Maclean trying to send a message to other players. Seriously Konopka AND Neil on the same PP. Doesn't make sense.
seems like it but it was a one goal game, not a 5-0 game, and against a team the Sens should be aiming to catch. Terrible decision.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
seems like it but it was a one goal game, not a 5-0 game, and against a team the Sens should be aiming to catch. Terrible decision.
It's not much of a consolation but some posters seem to forget that this is MacLean's first season as a head coach: there's still a lot he has to learn about managing the team.
It was a bad decision, but I think he was right to give it a shot: he wanted to see if it would pan out. It was a fair shot considering how flat the etnire team was. If Konopka had tied the coach would have been a genius

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM
ShotDownCrosby

This is exactly the pattern we've had all season. Play wicked offensively, tire, lose, play wicked offensively. We had a losing streak after each one of our win streaks (and significant ones at that). We just need to turn it around faster than we have in the past. And hope that Sabres lose.

People are forgetting we are a young team and inconsistent (we have been all year, just lucky our win runs have been better than our losing runs).

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
SelleckStache

vCash: 733
Defensive zone faceoff on the PP is why Konopka was out there -- I understand.
Why he didn't immediately come to the bench had me scratching my head.

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Last night's game truly shows how vital Spezza is to this team.

It looks like the only way the Sens are going to avoid Boston in the first round is if Florida squeezes into second or the Sens drop into 8th.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:02 PM
the tribute

well, all I can say for this year is that the players have done one HELL of a job and really proud of the group!, this is confidence building for turris,bishop,lehner, and all the young ones coming up in the future.

the tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:37 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I'm not mad because we are really a rebuilding team in the playoffs. What else do we want?

Our real future is Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Stone, Prince. We are in a playoff position because of Karlsson, Spezza, Anderson, Alfredsson and Michalek coming up huge. As well as depth scoring early on in the season.

Once Silfverberg, Zibanejad and the others get heated up as well as a couple big UFA signings we should be contenders for years to come.

If we sign Parise/Suter and one of Silfverberg/Zibanejad/Stone plays solid in top 6 next year, then I can see us being contenders as soon as next year.

I am absolutely LOVING Bishop. Gives us sooo much depth in net and a future amazing tandem in him and Lehner or an enormous trading piece that could land us a star player.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:37 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Please, please, please insert Konopka onto a catapult and fling him and his awful play far, far away from our team.

That is all.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I must add that Klinkhammer is a ****ing BEAST. If we let go of this guy i'm gonna be real pissed. He is the perfect third liner. He flings players away that are nothing and causes a lot of room out there for his teammates.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
TSA0402

I like Turris, but he isn't good enough without supporting cast on center. Lets face it without Spezza, those lines were terrible. It shouldnt come as a huge shock who won that game.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I must add that Klinkhammer is a ****ing BEAST. If we let go of this guy i'm gonna be real pissed. He is the perfect third liner. He flings players away that are nothing and causes a lot of room out there for his teammates.
I was at the game last night and the one thing that really stood out for me was how fast Kinkhammer was. He has some wheels and he battles HARD.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:44 PM
playasRus

Spezza should be back by Friday. I'm assuming he's actually not sick and just dealing with the death of his friend and the new baby.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote