HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks lose to the Ducks

Old
03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
do0glas

vCash: 500
For those that want Niemi to "steal" us a game now and then, just re-watch the detroit and nashville games. you guys are getting ridiculous right now.

I hope no one here expected us to win every game remaining down the stretch?

on a positive note, out of all the games remaining this is the one to lose in regulation. we could even lose the two games against bruins/avs, although losing will always hurt our chances. as long as we beat our divisional opponents. the 3rd seed has less points than the 6th seed. thats what we are pushing for.

i hate that we lost to the ducks, but it happens. vancouver just lost to minnesota and detroit just lost to the caps. i watched the detroit game, they were ****. if you dont want to believe in the team with 10 games left then stop watching. yes its frustrating as hell to see our defense do some really boneheaded things, but if youve ever played sports and you start off the game shaky like that its really hard to right the ship in the middle of the game. expecting a really solid performance in the kings game, and i think niemi gets the start again. none of those goals were his fault. if he is tired, then rest him, but we need wins

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
SharksFailToClear

Now it is too late to bench any of our best players, but why is pulling the goalie the only thing a coach does to wake the team up?

When we were playing like crap regularly why not bench Thornton to wake the team up. Even if it isn't his fault. Bench the captain. See if the players feel like taking responsibility for their own games. Even without Joe if the whole team shows up on a given night we should be able to work hard and grind out a win.

There is no excuse for last night. We got outchanced, outshot and out hit. If anaheim is going to have the puck 60% of the night we should at least be finishing some checks!Or doing something other than letting winchester get his *** kicked by parros.

SharksFailToClear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
[*]The Ducks dominated the Sharks both physically [/LIST]
The Sharks have been dominated physically is almost every game since december

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
OffSydes
#tank2014/5

We need JR back on this team.. his leadership got us two cups and we are missing that.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:17 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brototype View Post
When we were playing like crap regularly why not bench Thornton to wake the team up. Even if it isn't his fault. Bench the captain. See if the players feel like taking responsibility for their own games. Even without Joe if the whole team shows up on a given night we should be able to work hard and grind out a win.
Your solution for us is to, in the most important games of the season, bench arguably our best forward?

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Your solution for us is to, in the most important games of the season, bench arguably our best forward?
you took his comment out of context...

the first thing he said is that it was too late to bench any of our best players.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
redfish
awesome hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post

9000 hours in mspaint
this is really good.

redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:25 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
you took his comment out of context...

the first thing he said is that it was too late to bench any of our best players.
Okay, take out the most important game of the season part. How is benching our best forward and leader of the team going to help the team win? Should be benching players that aren't performing, not ones who are. What if we did this at the start of the season and ended up missing the playoffs by 2 games, we would look back on benching Thornton as a huge mistake.

What is that going to say to Thornton, that no matter how good he does that he is going to be benched?

Old
03-20-2012, 10:27 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Okay, take out the most important game of the season part. How is benching our best forward and leader of the team going to help the team win? Should be benching players that aren't performing, not ones who are. What if we did this at the start of the season and ended up missing the playoffs by 2 games, we would look back on benching Thornton as a huge mistake.

What is that going to say to Thornton, that no matter how good he does that he is going to be benched?
I wasnt saying i agree with him, just that you took it out of context. although there was times this season that benching thornton wouldve helped. he was killing the offense on every entry for 10 games straight i think before he figured it out.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I wasnt saying i agree with him, just that you took it out of context. although there was times this season that benching thornton wouldve helped. he was killing the offense on every entry for 10 games straight i think before he figured it out.
Would have been fine benching him when he sucked, but imo you should always ice the players who are playing well so it further reinforces the idea that: You play well, you get ice time.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Would have been fine benching him when he sucked, but imo you should always ice the players who are playing well so it further reinforces the idea that: You play well, you get ice time.
no disagreement from me. i think the original post that we were talking about shouldve phrased it differently.

white shouldve been benched the second time he jacked up. murray should sit a game right now.

clowe shouldve sat at least a couple.

whats the point of depth if you dont use it to discipline your players. mitchell made one gaff and sat, but a top 6er does it two games in a row and keeps playing. no one should be above scrutiny.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
SharksFailToClear

Quote:
no disagreement from me. i think the original post that we were talking about shouldve phrased it differently.
I should focus on what is going on currently, sorry for the confusion. I was more making a more general point, not even necessarily related to just this team about why pulling the goalie is the only drastic measure that is widely accepted as a way to send a message to the entire team.

We have no problem pulling a goalie who might not even be playing poorly (not talking about last night, just generally) to wake a team up who is putting in a subpar defensive effort.

Just asking the universe why, when the sharks are 0 for a roadtrip, or getting shutout in consecutive games you don't consider benching the captain to send a message, even if that particular forward isn't the problem. I do actually think it sends more of a message than scratching bottom six players or limiting ice time. If the captain gets benched, maybe he goes into the locker room the next game more ready to hold guys accountable. Maybe they hold themselves more accountable. It is clear that Mclellan doesn't think it is his job to get the team up for the games, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but he isn't going to change his ways. So it is up to the players. If they are unable to do it then something should be done besides pulling a goalie when the game is out of reach.

Or we can just listen to the "oh that's just sportz, lol". Interviews for 10 more games then go golfing.

As a practical matter though, yes, there is no way you bench thornton at this point of the season and I see why it isn't done at all. Benching the captain even for a few shifts certainly got budreau run out of washington quickly, and his benching worked!

SharksFailToClear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Wedontneedroads

3 really unfortunate bounces last night led directly to Ducks goals.

The first goal hit bodies and sticks and somehow found its way out front.

Second goal hoped right over Vlasic's stick. Better concentration may have prevented it, but very unfortunate.

Third goal Murray blocks the shot and it goes directly back on Palmieri's stick. That happens 1/100 times.

That game was a microcosm of the Sharks season.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
The Sharks have been dominated physically is almost every game since december
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
What happened last night was just piss poor defense but in reality, there is absolutely no system in place anymore. Im sorry but they look like a ****ing roller hockey team.
Teams are just not afraid to play the Sharks any longer or are forced to change their game approach in playing us due to the extent of the challenge, as the challenge is just not there. Our top line poses a threat but, the drop off is noticeable going to the second and then, far too steep after that. Too add, we are far from a physical challenge to most clubs as well. How many times have we seen the likes of Couture taking beatings on the boards this season and zero reaction, especially from the likes of the third and fourth line players. No physical reaction or rarely one upon the scoreboard.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Thought we outplayed the Ducks - just had some bad goaltending and some bad luck.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
3 really unfortunate bounces last night led directly to Ducks goals.

The first goal hit bodies and sticks and somehow found its way out front.

Second goal hoped right over Vlasic's stick. Better concentration may have prevented it, but very unfortunate.

Third goal Murray blocks the shot and it goes directly back on Palmieri's stick. That happens 1/100 times.

That game was a microcosm of the Sharks season.
Please. Stop with the bad bounces, bad luck arguments. Anaheim was able to get those bounces because they were able to put pucks to the net with traffic in front, a basic hockey concept that better teams that control puck possession and play are able to do. It is not due to luck.

The Sharks got worked like a red headed stepchild last night. We chased the puck around all night, gave up way too many point shots and did a horrible job defending our crease. Yes, it was a microcosm of the Sharks season, but it had nothing to do with bad bounces or bad luck.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:52 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Too add, we are far from a physical challenge to most clubs as well. How many times have we seen the likes of Couture taking beatings on the boards this season and zero reaction, especially from the likes of the third and fourth line players. No physical reaction or rarely one upon the scoreboard.
The sharks COULD be a physical challenge to any team in the NHL. All emotion has been coached out of this team. As much as I hate to say it, the start of the devils/rags game last night was something I would love to see out of this team. They simply will not play that kind of game.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Thought we outplayed the Ducks - just had some bad goaltending and some bad luck.
The defense sucked. If they are at least average everyone around here would be happy because the Sharks would have won.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Les Wynan*

That game had nothing to do with bad luck. Most of the last two months has. But the Sharks were the worst team on the ice against the Ducks by a large amount.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
You cannot be serious. Did you actually watch the game?

We got out scored, out shot, out hit and basically out played in our own building by a non-playoff team with its third string goaltender in net playing his second game of the season and first in over two months. In what way did we outplay the Ducks last night?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

The beauty of it is that they can forget about this and move on. On to the Kings.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
The defense sucked. If they are at least average everyone around here would be happy because the Sharks would have won.
Even with the bad defense (guys checking air), we stop 3 of those goals if the goalie stays in the blue paint.

^Yes, I am serious. It wasn't that bad of a loss. The only place we were outplayed was in net.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Please. Stop with the bad bounces, bad luck arguments. Anaheim was able to get those bounces because they were able to put pucks to the net with traffic in front, a basic hockey concept that better teams that control puck possession and play are able to do. It is not due to luck.

The Sharks got worked like a red headed stepchild last night. We chased the puck around all night, gave up way too many point shots and did a horrible job defending our crease. Yes, it was a microcosm of the Sharks season, but it had nothing to do with bad bounces or bad luck.
But...they were bad bounces. There is nothing incorrect about that statement.

The Sharks came out with a ton of energy and the Havlat Clowe Marleau line was absolutely on fire. As the game progressed they lost momentum. Some due to poor play by Niemi (he should have saved that first PP goal), some due to bad bounces, and as you said some due to just poor play.

I am not saying that bad bounces were the only reason they lost, but they really were quite unfortunate to have all momentum taken away by some unfavorable bounces of the puck.

They get within a goal, and then on the very next shift Murray blocks a shot right back to Palmieri who can easily sneak it by an out of position Griess who was ready for the first shot.

Yea the Ducks outplayed the Sharks for parts of that game, but the Sharks had some great shifts as well. Trust me, I'm not saying they would be winning the Presidents trophy if they had better luck, but it would have certainly helped them win a few more games this year, and they wouldn't be battling this hard for a playoff spot.

If this team makes the playoffs I don't expect them to go very far, but in all my years watching the Sharks they have been one of the most unlucky teams in the NHL save 1 or 2 years. I'm not a huge believer in the whole "you create your own" luck crap.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
They may have matched their effort, but the Ducks were simply better in the execution department. They were crisp on their passes and it lead to easy breakouts and transitions. There was a play in the 2nd that really symbolized the night; The Duck RD hit the LD, who hit the center in the neutral zone, who hit the LW at the blue line, who skated in and hit the RW for a great scoring chance. The Sharks simply stared at the puck and chased.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
But...they were bad bounces. There is nothing incorrect about that statement.

The Sharks came out with a ton of energy and the Havlat Clowe Marleau line was absolutely on fire. As the game progressed they lost momentum. Some due to poor play by Niemi (he should have saved that first PP goal), and some due to bad bounces (puck hits multiple sticks and lands right in front of the net).

I am not saying that was the only reason they lost, but they really were quite unfortunate to have all momentum taken away by some unfortunate bounces of the puck.

They get within a goal, and then on the very next shift Murray blocks the shot right back to Palmieri who can easily sneak it by an out of position Griess who was ready for the first shot.

Yea the Ducks outplayed the Sharks for parts of that game, but the Sharks had some great shifts as well. Trust me, I'm not saying they would be winning the Presidents trophy if they had better luck, but it would have certainly helped them win a few more games this year, and they wouldn't be battling this hard for a playoff spot.
But what about all of the other opportunities the Ducks had that the Sharks were lucky to have not find the back of their net?

The bottom line is that the Ducks had more possession than the Sharks despite leading or tied for almost the entire game. The way the goals are scored is irrelevant; you don't deserve to win a game under those circumstances.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote