HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #73: vs Phoenix, 3/20 (7:00 PM, NBC Sports Network, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2012, 11:30 AM
  #451
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
You are basically wishing injury on a player who is not on the team you support...therefor trolling! If you wanna talk about the game then fine but do it with respect if you are going to discuss it on another teams board...capeesh?
I can respect that! It was said in response to a blanket statement I was replying too.

On a side note, anyone know where the Big Spring/ Sweetwater area is? My mom and family are all from that area.

Best of luck. Hope our teams make it and keep the CA teams out.

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
  #452
checkerdome
Registered User
 
checkerdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Since it owns the Coyotes, isn't the NHL deciding on length of suspension for a player on a team belonging to Itself a classic case of conflict of interest?

Wasn't Colin Campbell not allowed to weigh in on games involving his own son with the Bruins to avoid precisely this type of unseemly spectacle?

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
  #453
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,635
vCash: 500
I believe the board operator got warned for showing the hit over and over last night after it happened. The refs appeared to be pretty ticked about something.

As great as Kari was in the OT and shootout, I think he could have had one or both of those goals in the 3rd. I think he was having issues with his contacts because he came to the bench for eyedrops during one of the TV timeouts in the 3rd.

As for what comes out of the Doan hit, I expect 3 games. Basically, 2 for the hit and 1 for him not getting the major and game that it deserved. I would only expect 5+ if Benn hadn't returned. I think more is deserved given how blatant it was, but I think given the playoff race and the lack of apparent injury a lengthy suspension won't happen.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
  #454
thebigbea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
Since it owns the Coyotes, isn't the NHL deciding on length of suspension for a player on a team belonging to Itself a classic case of conflict of interest?

Wasn't Colin Campbell not allowed to weigh in on games involving his own son with the Bruins to avoid precisely this type of unseemly spectacle?
Campbell still have buddies making the decision. Just look at what was not called during the bruins run to the cup

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
  #455
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
I believe the board operator got warned for showing the hit over and over last night after it happened. The refs appeared to be pretty ticked about something.

As great as Kari was in the OT and shootout, I think he could have had one or both of those goals in the 3rd. I think he was having issues with his contacts because he came to the bench for eyedrops during one of the TV timeouts in the 3rd.

As for what comes out of the Doan hit, I expect 3 games. Basically, 2 for the hit and 1 for him not getting the major and game that it deserved. I would only expect 5+ if Benn hadn't returned. I think more is deserved given how blatant it was, but I think given the playoff race and the lack of apparent injury a lengthy suspension won't happen.
They didn't want the fans to generate more momentum in Dallas' favour. Same with the "review" of Smith's save on Eriksson. It's kind of scuzzy officiating and control of the game through something other than giving Dallas a 5 minute major PP after generating an insane amount of fan driven momentum.

Allergy season is basically Satan incarnate here. Might be that, might just have been having issues.

Doan should be suspended for the rest of the regular season for that hit. It's not a "hockey play", it's throwing your elbow at a guy's head on a team in a tight playoff race with you.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
  #456
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
I was really pissed at Doan last night, but he's been one of my favorite non-Stars players for a while. The one thing I did learn is that he has some Morrow-stupidity in his game, but he takes it to a dirty level as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a single fine or suspension for Morrow. His moments of frustration and stupidity just result in a 2 minute penalty to hurt the team. This is at least the third time in a year and a half a moment of frustration will lead to discipline from the league against Doan, but I think this one was the dirtiest of the three.

I still really like the guy, and I agree with Roenick that he's not a dirty player trying to hurt people. However, you've got to suspend a guy for a dirty play like that. Plus, you're an adult so getting mad isn't not an OK excuse. I'm in no way saying what Doan did was alright, and it seems he'll get punished accordingly.

Regarding Ott and Kesla .... if Stars fans are being honest Dallas hunting Kesla was no different than PHX hunting Benn. By the letter of the law, several of Ott's hits could have been classified as charging and 2 minute penalties. That's a part of his game Dallas fans love, and he was clearly effective at tip-toeing on the line of overboard and supremely effective.

Benn should get use being the target of physical intimidation, although I would classify the Doan cheapshot as a crime of opportunity as oppossed to targeting Benn specifically. The Morris hit looked ugly and was probably not legal just like some of the Ott hits. Morris crossed a line going high, but I don't know it's a suspendable offense. It's in the grey area. Could you classify it as a charge like some of Ott's hits last night? Probably. Was the head targeted? Well that's a grey area because the head violently hits the glass, but the forearm also looks like it's going into Benn's chest while unfortunately glancing into the neck receiving the brunt of the contact. Does Rule 48 include the neck? I really don't know.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
  #457
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I was really pissed at Doan last night, but he's been one of my favorite non-Stars players for a while. The one thing I did learn is that he has some Morrow-stupidity in his game, but he takes it to a dirty level as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a single fine or suspension for Morrow. His moments of frustration and stupidity just result in a 2 minute penalty to hurt the team. This is at least the third time in a year and a half a moment of frustration will lead to discipline from the league against Doan, but I think this one was the dirtiest of the three.

I still really like the guy, and I agree with Roenick that he's not a dirty player trying to hurt people. However, you've got to suspend a guy for a dirty play like that. Plus, you're an adult so getting mad isn't not an OK excuse. I'm in no way saying what Doan did was alright, and it seems he'll get punished accordingly.

Regarding Ott and Kesla .... if Stars fans are being honest Dallas hunting Kesla was no different than PHX hunting Benn. By the letter of the law, several of Ott's hits could have been classified as charging and 2 minute penalties. That's a part of his game Dallas fans love, and he was clearly effective at tip-toeing on the line of overboard and supremely effective.

Benn should get use being the target of physical intimidation, although I would classify the Doan cheapshot as a crime of opportunity as oppossed to targeting Benn specifically. The Morris hit looked ugly and was probably not legal just like some of the Ott hits. Morris crossed a line going high, but I don't know it's a suspendable offense. It's in the grey area. Could you classify it as a charge like some of Ott's hits last night? Probably. Was the head targeted? Well that's a grey area because the head violently hits the glass, but the forearm also looks like it's going into Benn's chest while unfortunately glancing into the neck receiving the brunt of the contact. Does Rule 48 include the neck? I really don't know.
Doesn't say the neck:
Quote:
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.
I guess one could determine the neck/head are basically the same thing in regards to hits. The neck controls the head and if jarred can cause a concussion.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:32 PM
  #458
TangoMcBride
Registered User
 
TangoMcBride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Carrollton, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Regarding Ott and Kesla .... if Stars fans are being honest Dallas hunting Kesla was no different than PHX hunting Benn. By the letter of the law, several of Ott's hits could have been classified as charging and 2 minute penalties. That's a part of his game Dallas fans love, and he was clearly effective at tip-toeing on the line of overboard and supremely effective.
They targeted the head, Ott did not. That's a pretty significant difference if you ask me.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:35 PM
  #459
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
Well there you go. It was probably charging like several of Ott's hits, but that's about it. Plus ... let's be honest. Benn wasn't a targeted player until later in the game after Ott was running around.

I don't think Ott was wrong any way doing what he was doing. It was one of those games, like I mentioned earlier, that he successfully stayed effective without going overboard. However, you'd be delusional to not expect or get upset over PHX returning the favor.

As long as the plays don't get dirty and dangerous, Dallas has nothing to get upset about, and like I indicated it's my opinion that Doan wasn't seeking justice for Ott's hits. He just made a horrible decision to target the puck carrier's head. The other hits on Benn, I don't have an issue with because it would honestly be hypocritical to praise Ott for his demeanor and condemn PHX for responding with similar actions.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:35 PM
  #460
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMcBride View Post
They targeted the head, Ott did not. That's a pretty significant difference if you ask me.
No they did not. Doan did (and the league is responding appropriately), but I was referring to Morris and Vermette.

There is a legitimate comparison between Ott's hits and Morris which is what the PHX fan brought up. He may believe Doan is due a smaller suspension than some of us, but he wasn't arguing against a suspension for Doan.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
  #461
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
Oh ... and if he was trolling, that's some of the weakest examples of trolling we've seen on the Dallas board.

Wishing Doan was going after Ott instead of Benn isn't wishing injury on someone. He wasn't celebrating an injury to Benn or wishing one on Ott.

It's hoping your captain holds Ott accountable. That's the nature of Ott's role on in Dallas. People like BizNasty are going to challenge him for doing his job. There is no right or wrong in that scenario.

Doan did something wrong and the league is taking action. Screaming suspension, suspension over every situation though .....

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  #462
TangoMcBride
Registered User
 
TangoMcBride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Carrollton, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
No they did not. Doan did (and the league is responding appropriately), but I was referring to Morris and Vermette.

There is a legitimate comparison between Ott's hits and Morris which is what the PHX fan brought up. He may believe Doan is due a smaller suspension than some of us, but he wasn't arguing against a suspension for Doan.
Think what you want, man. I'm staring at the Morris hit right now, I have it paused on my DVR. Morris' forearm hits him square on the jawline.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
  #463
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,895
vCash: 500
Morris's hit was also incredibly late. But Ott was doing similar charging/ late hits all night, so you're right it'd be hypocritical to call one and not the other.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
  #464
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 50,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Phx fan here. So one incident in a heated rivalry game for the divisional lead makes you hate a team??? Yikes. I guess I have great hatred for the stars for being dirty and targeting klesla.
Where did I say hate?

Strong dislike is not hate.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
  #465
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
I do have to admit I'm pretty stunned the league is doing anything though about Doan. I really expected him to get away with that crap.

Regardless of the end result of this meeting, I'd still like to see a legitimate hockey fight (so sick of this staged crap) to provide some on ice justice next year. I honestly don't think Doan is a malicious or dirty player, but that chicken wing should earn him more than some missed games. The players policing themselves is still an important part of the game.

That's why those Ott-Iginla fights are the best from year's past. When Ott plays like he did last night, he's a great asset, but I do love seeing a guy make him fight for the right to do his job. Englblom was right last night saying fans can get as angry as they want, Ott isn't going to fight a 4th liner. He shouldn't, and I love when the lead to an altercation with a star player.

That type of fighting is great .... that sideshow in NY ... not so much. I watch the UFC to see fighters, and I watch the NHL for the skill, excitement, and those moments of pure emotion that might lead to a fight.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
  #466
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Where did I say hate?

Strong dislike is not hate.
I was on my phone when I read it. There should be no love for the other 29 teams then. One team is always doing something. It was a good series though. U guys stole 2 in the beginning and we stole a point here. Great match ups.

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
  #467
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Where did I say hate?

Strong dislike is not hate.
And if you didn't say hate, my bad!

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
  #468
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
On a side note, anyone know where the Big Spring/ Sweetwater area is? My mom and family are all from that area.
out.
Since no one's answered this part, Sweetwater and Big Spring are on I-20 way out west of Dallas. Abilene is 150 miles west of Fort Worth and Big Spring is 110 miles west of that. Sweetwater's a little closer - like 45 miles west of Abilene, but there's a big giant pile of nothing out in that area of the world.

And Doan to me is a Morrow-type guy who takes dumb frustration penalties but generally limits it to that. But once or twice a year does something incredibly stupid-dirty (as opposed to malicious-dirty like the artist formerly known as Matt Cooke).

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
  #469
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,729
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
As for what comes out of the Doan hit, I expect 3 games. Basically, 2 for the hit and 1 for him not getting the major and game that it deserved. I would only expect 5+ if Benn hadn't returned. I think more is deserved given how blatant it was, but I think given the playoff race and the lack of apparent injury a lengthy suspension won't happen.
Agreed. It's reminiscent of the Heatley elbow on Ott last season which resulted in a 2 game suspension. Doan's elbow was worse, so 3 games seems appropriate to me.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
  #470
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Heatley wasn't a repeat offender though, was he? I think the fact that Doan's been suspended before for head-hunting combined with the fact that he got fined like five days ago might push it up to 4-5. I expect three but wouldn't be surprised by a little more given his recent history.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
  #471
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
Gulutzen talks Benn and Doan about 3 minutes in.
  • "Any concern Benn is a marked man?" - Question from reporter
  • "No. He plays a physical game. He gets in there. Guys are going to hit him for sure." - Gulutzen
  • "I think the league will probably deal with the Doan thing today. I think it's probably out of characteristic you know for Shane, but the rules are the rules and the league will decide what they think is going to happen, and if nothing happens that's fine. If they suspend him that's the way it is. It's up to the league. It's up to Brendan." - Gulutzen

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:00 PM
  #472
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 50,299
vCash: 500
I know he has to say that if nothing happens, it'd be fine. But my God. If nothing happens, being a repeat offender and getting fined literally less than a week ago, I'd tell my players to go around and start doing the same thing to every team's star players since it'd be legal and all. Ridiculous if nothing happens.

Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
  #473
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I know he has to say that if nothing happens, it'd be fine. But my God. If nothing happens, being a repeat offender and getting fined literally less than a week ago, I'd tell my players to go around and start doing the same thing to every team's star players since it'd be legal and all. Ridiculous if nothing happens.
I get what you are saying, but he made his point last night. He felt it was a suspendable offense.

He could have just left that point off, but the alternative ... him saying he'd be pissed might be seen by the league as a similar situation of a coach attacking officiating after a game. I'm not sure he could publicly question the ultimate decision by the league. You know how sensitive these leagues are (NFL, NHL, NBA). You can't question anything without a big fine coming your way regardless of the validity of your complaint.

I'm sure he was just treading lightly.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
  #474
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,962
vCash: 500
Players fines go to the player safety fund. Do coach and team fines go to the same place?

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
  #475
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 50,299
vCash: 500
O I agree that he had to say that (if he was going to comment on it at least).

Just stating my opinion on if there actually isn't a suspension, not so much his comment.

Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.