HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Alex Roach

Old
03-20-2012, 03:48 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Alex Roach

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown on Alex's game. The Kings seem to have a lot of puck moving defenseman prospects but not a ton who project to be shutdown dman. I know he went undrafted but in his draft year he was on an awful Hitmen team so it must have been hard for anyone on that team to look good.

If anyone could answer one or all of these questions, that'd be great:
What are his biggest assets and what does he do well in his game?
Where does he need improvement?
Where does he project to fit in to an NHL lineup, if at all?
Any comparisons?
What style of defenseman is he? IE does he like to use an active stick, does he take the body, does he do both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Very solid player. Hits hard, plays physical, blocks shots, can move the puck, hard shot. Could use work on his foot speed and just overall skating in general.

Might take him some time to adjust to the pro game once he gets there, but he could be a solid depth defenceman in the NHL one day.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
He often makes poor decisions in his own end with the puck and is one I would consider a turnover machine. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he regressed this year. I'm not sure he has NHL upside, to be honest.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Interesting to see two contrasting opinions from two posters I respect and trust

Old
03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Interesting to see two contrasting opinions from two posters I respect and trust
AV lives in Calgary and has therefore seen him about 10x as much, I'm sure. With that being said, I still stand by my assessment of him and think he's not a bad prospect that could one day be an NHLer with the right seasoning.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I'm speaking as a Kings fan, but not with biase as I've never actually seen Roach play and am just commenting on what I've heard/read about him. If I'm incorrect, let me know.

From what I gather, Roach is similar to a young Jay Harrison. A solid, but not overly-physical (IE could use his size/strength more) who is prone to poor timed turnovers and misreads while not possessing the best skating skills either. I remember watching Harrison with the Battalion, and I never thought he'd reach the NHL, outside of maybe a cup of coffee. I was almost right, but Harrison has pleasently surprised me and made his mark as a depth defenseman in Carolina who had to work hard to get there.

I see Roach's path to the NHL the same way, though I hope it's not as long and runs through the Kings system solely. Roach will need his full junior career to be spent and then likely three full AHL seasons just to come around. He is a long road project whose lack of smarts and questionable skating is off-set by his work ethic, willingness to learn and overall above average physical attributes.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Roach actually played wing tonight in Calgary's first playoff game against the Brandon Wheat Kings.

He was phenomenal as a forward (as much as a defenseman moving up can be). He was physical, good on the cycle and generated a chance or two. I'd personally like to see him have an extended stint at forward.

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Roach actually played wing tonight in Calgary's first playoff game against the Brandon Wheat Kings.

He was phenomenal as a forward (as much as a defenseman moving up can be). He was physical, good on the cycle and generated a chance or two. I'd personally like to see him have an extended stint at forward.

I'm sure Kings management won't really enjoy that. We've had quite a few people switch between forward and D and none have had any real success for us. Does he have any sort of scoring touch?

Old
03-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:

I'm sure Kings management won't really enjoy that. We've had quite a few people switch between forward and D and none have had any real success for us. Does he have any sort of scoring touch?
No scoring touch at all, but the best he's looked all season was in his 16 or so minutes as a forward in Game 1.

I'd imagine the Kings would rather he play in the game - regardless of position - then be a healthy scratch as well, which was/is a distinct possibility.

Last edited by Aaron Vickers: 03-23-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old
03-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Roach, playing wing again, had a goal and an assist in Calgary's 4-0 win over Brandon. For his efforts he was named 2nd star.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:27 AM
damacles1156

LA needs more Forward depth in the Minors on the wings. They would probably welcome him to switch.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:18 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Roach, playing wing again, had a goal and an assist in Calgary's 4-0 win over Brandon. For his efforts he was named 2nd star.
Any details on the goal and assist? Was it a garbage tap in goal in front? And did he actually set up the play for the assist?

Old
03-24-2012, 05:31 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Snipe high glove off the right side. #roachmania

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Any details on the goal and assist? Was it a garbage tap in goal in front? And did he actually set up the play for the assist?
Shot was a rocket from roughly the top of the circle after taking a cross-ice feed. His assist came on a deflection by Trevor Cheek, another bomb of a shot.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Is he playing on the right or left wing?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
lakai17

vCash: 0
Kings scouts are dynamite.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
He often makes poor decisions in his own end with the puck and is one I would consider a turnover machine. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he regressed this year. I'm not sure he has NHL upside, to be honest.
I'm a season ticket holder and agree with this assessment. I don't think he makes the NHL... Maybe a career AHLer. I really hope he improves his game and makes the jump.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
lakai17

vCash: 0
he's +18

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:38 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

+19 according to hockeydb.

Either way, I'll admit I've been plesently surprised by his offensive output, but I still at this time don't see him making much of an offensive impact at the NHL level. I stand by what I said earlier, though his versatility (played wing in the playoffs last year) could help him out. How he does next year will determine if he's bound for the AHL or a stint in the ECHL after his junior days are done, but considering all the defensemen LA will have coming out of junior and college in the next few seasons, as well as what will likely be several young D-men in the NHL, he'll be in for a long wait getting to the NHL.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote