HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets @ Pens | Tue Mar 20 | 6PM CST | CONSOL Center | Game 73 | "Lunchpail Edition"

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I would agree with you EXCEPT they just did the EXACT same thing to Clitsome. IMO, Clitsome was the best defenseman on the ice in the Washington game. He has was rushing the puck, pressuring, hitting, and shut down Ovi by being in his face all game. Then is scratched. That's ********, IMO. This has happened before with Machacek as well, best Jets player then is sent down to St. John's. That shipped has sailed for Noel, he clearly does not care how you played last game when making roster decisions.

But yes, I think that it should be like that. Also this loyalty/guys been here all year thing is a bunch of ****ING ********!!! What the **** do you think deadline acquisitions are, Noel. Are you kidding me, you go with the best players regardless of how long they are here, they are pros they know what this game is about. Don't agree with him in the slightest about that argument.
Pretty much agree with this.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
03-20-2012, 02:42 PM
SCP Guy

Im not looking forward to tonight!!!!

Old
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
SundanceKid

vCash: 500
Good luck tonight guys. I really want to see the 'peg in the playoffs in their first season so no matter how tonight turns out I'll be happy.

Btw the starting goalie for the Penguins has only played 2 NHL games before in his career so I'm sure he'll let a softie or 2 in if you pressure him enough.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Oh please let this become a thing!

And yes, let's not forfeit out ticket to the ball.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
IMckay

Quote:
I would agree with you EXCEPT they just did the EXACT same thing to Clitsome. IMO, Clitsome was the best defenseman on the ice in the Washington game. He has was rushing the puck, pressuring, hitting, and shut down Ovi by being in his face all game. Then is scratched. That's ********, IMO. This has happened before with Machacek as well, best Jets player then is sent down to St. John's. That shipped has sailed for Noel, he clearly does not care how you played last game when making roster decisions.

But yes, I think that it should be like that. Also this loyalty/guys been here all year thing is a bunch of ****ING ********!!! What the **** do you think deadline acquisitions are, Noel. Are you kidding me, you go with the best players regardless of how long they are here, they are pros they know what this game is about. Don't agree with him in the slightest about that argument.
Agree with this. I'd really like to see Clitsome in this game instead of Jones.

However - regarding them doing the same thing to Clitsome - it's a bit of a different situation. Both played well against WSH (though I think Clitsome played much better). But one of the two had to sit out because of Bogo returning. In this case, nobody has to sit as there isn't anyone returning or anything. So they are keeping him in because it does kind of send the wrong message after he was one of our only plus players.

They have done it before with Machachek, but there may have been something else contributing to that other than his play. Might have been some roster/legal thing that had to be done that we don't know about. As we can see, they seem to like him as he was the first called up again

Old
03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

Go Jets! Being a Giants fan and hating the NY Jets, never thought I'd say this. You guys have to win tonight!

Old
03-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

really looking forward to the game tonight...

.... ...I think Stomachache's gonna make good on that Gordie Howe tonight...

Edit: when i went to write the post i forgot what i was originally going to ask. I heard earlier (can't remember where now) that Fher may be in for this game. Any confirmation on who's playing?

Last edited by Grind: 03-20-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old
03-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

Edit: when i went to write the post i forgot what i was originally going to ask. I heard earlier (can't remember where now) that Fher may be in for this game. Any confirmation on who's playing?
I'm not sure. I know Stomachache played great last game, but I think Fehr might finally be rounding into form? I mean, he can't get any worse...but do we risk the final playoff push to see if he gets better?

Old
03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

Do you really think that? Or were you looking for an excuse to use that horrid "nickname"? lol

I am very surprised they are going with Pavelec tonight. This will be his 9th straight game and I guess we need him for ALL games here on out, but maybe would consider giving Mason the start in this 2 point game and having Pavs rested for the 4pt game on Friday?

...Still feel that we will grind out at least one point tonight.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMckay View Post
Agree with this. I'd really like to see Clitsome in this game instead of Jones.

However - regarding them doing the same thing to Clitsome - it's a bit of a different situation. Both played well against WSH (though I think Clitsome played much better). But one of the two had to sit out because of Bogo returning. In this case, nobody has to sit as there isn't anyone returning or anything. So they are keeping him in because it does kind of send the wrong message after he was one of our only plus players.

They have done it before with Machachek, but there may have been something else contributing to that other than his play. Might have been some roster/legal thing that had to be done that we don't know about. As we can see, they seem to like him as he was the first called up again
With regards to Machacek, it was cause they wanted to keep (shudder) Gagnon up rather than Machacek cause they wanted a center (Wellwood missed the next game, but I mean Stapleton/Burmi were playing wing at the time). Trust me when I say they is no roster/legal thing that I don't know about, I am a huge BoH nerd and have pretty much read the entire CBA. Yes I know I have no life

I disagree about the message thing with regards to Jones/Clitsome. Jones was meh at best against Washington, he was being protected HARD. He was never once on the ice against the Caps top 6. Overall was ok in the limited minutes, but how that can be "good" is beyond me. Is adequate, when you play the other team's bottom lines all game and are just ok, that's not anything to write home about, IMO. When you are against the top line, one of the elite players in the NHL and you shut him down, that's great.

Then for the CAR game, they still refused to send Jones out there against Staal/Jokinen line (and rightfully so, this was actual good coaching), but instead of Clitsome, Buff/Enstrom were asked to take him on. Did not work out the best did it?

Basically my point is, it's not about Jones/Clitsome, it's more like should our shutdown pairing be Hainsey/Stuart - Clitsome or Enstrom-Byfuglien. I'd rather use Hainsey-Clitsome and open up the ice for the other pairings, rather than having to protect Jones. Jones is fine as a #7 when protected (and not asked to make a first pass), but WHEN YOU HAVE BETTER OPTIONS, YOU USE THE BETTER OPTIONS. Urgh. /rant.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
Do you really think that? Or were you looking for an excuse to use that horrid "nickname"? lol

I am very surprised they are going with Pavelec tonight. This will be his 9th straight game and I guess we need him for ALL games here on out, but maybe would consider giving Mason the start in this 2 point game and having Pavs rested for the 4pt game on Friday?

...Still feel that we will grind out at least one point tonight.
...a little of both?

actually it was more of an excuse to use the name after I forgot my original question and the blank comment box was just sitting there judging me.

As for pavs vs mason i guess it depends on our strategy, ie: better chance to win both games with pavs in net vs better chance to win the big game with him rested for it.

I think I side with riding pavs for as much as they can through this final stretch. Give ourselves the chance at the most points available.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

A lot of Ranger fans will be watching tonight. Go Jets Go!

Old
03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
MadMen88

A lot of love for that Queen! Go JETS!!!

Old
03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Go Jets! Being a Giants fan and hating the NY Jets, never thought I'd say this. You guys have to win tonight!
HAHA Im a Dolphins fan and i wont even call the the J*** i refer too them as NYJ!!

Old
03-20-2012, 04:26 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Ugh this game... hopefully it goes to OT or something.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
sixty minute hockey

Not too many times you can say this near the end of the season but Mittens has the same amount of goals as Crosby

Old
03-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Is Stomachache playing tonight?

Old
03-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

Old
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
fergiesbeak

gotta have 2pts tonite.tough one for sure but i think wa can do it and this game will be our turning point for winning on the road.we win tonite and then win 4 or 5 more on the road and we're on our way baby!!!

Old
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post

Old
03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
teucer

That streakbusters pic could be a nice GDT someday!

Old
03-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Jet
Bogo Believer

Quote:
With regards to Machacek, it was cause they wanted to keep (shudder) Gagnon up rather than Machacek cause they wanted a center (Wellwood missed the next game, but I mean Stapleton/Burmi were playing wing at the time). Trust me when I say they is no roster/legal thing that I don't know about, I am a huge BoH nerd and have pretty much read the entire CBA. Yes I know I have no life

I disagree about the message thing with regards to Jones/Clitsome. Jones was meh at best against Washington, he was being protected HARD. He was never once on the ice against the Caps top 6. Overall was ok in the limited minutes, but how that can be "good" is beyond me. Is adequate, when you play the other team's bottom lines all game and are just ok, that's not anything to write home about, IMO. When you are against the top line, one of the elite players in the NHL and you shut him down, that's great.

Then for the CAR game, they still refused to send Jones out there against Staal/Jokinen line (and rightfully so, this was actual good coaching), but instead of Clitsome, Buff/Enstrom were asked to take him on. Did not work out the best did it?

Basically my point is, it's not about Jones/Clitsome, it's more like should our shutdown pairing be Hainsey/Stuart - Clitsome or Enstrom-Byfuglien. I'd rather use Hainsey-Clitsome and open up the ice for the other pairings, rather than having to protect Jones. Jones is fine as a #7 when protected (and not asked to make a first pass), but WHEN YOU HAVE BETTER OPTIONS, YOU USE THE BETTER OPTIONS. Urgh. /rant.
I really think you let your hate of the player color your opinion on this matter. As i have said, I was in the Clitsome over Jones camp before the Canes game, but I understand this move.

You talk to no end about Jones being protected etc. etc. but he is a bottom pair defenseman. All bottom pair guys get protected. His penalty killing was excellent. He was physical and he ended up a friggin plus 2.

Again, you may want to be a tad more objective with this player. There were PLENTY of reasons the Jets lost to the Canes. Jones was not one of them.

I would not have been upset if they put Clitsome in tonight but keeping Jones in makes perfect sense.

03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
any links for the game yet?

Old
03-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Clitsome in over Jones. I like.

Closed Thread