HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Surprised this Good News hasn't been Posted...

Old
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Surprised this Good News hasn't been Posted...

I saw it on TSN a few days ago and im surprised I couldnt find a thread about it.

I don't know where the article is now but the NHL canceled all plans next season for overseas games in case there is a lockout again (well that is bad news of course).

Rangers of course for the next two seasons made an agreement with the NHL that they would start the 2011-12, 13 and 14 seasons overseas since MSG would still be renovating in the October months.

I think we all we agree its much better if the team doesn't spend 3 weeks there again playing useless preseason games then a couple season games so the team isn't exhausted right at the start of the season like we were this year. Plus who knows if its kicking in again right now toward the end of the season.

Sure we will still start the season on a 8 game or so road trip, but at least it will be completely in NA next year. Of course fingers crossed there is a season.

If someone could find that article that would be great, i'll try to keep looking for it again.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Think it was posted at some point (don't remember when). This year's schedule was quite hectic, but it didn't seem to bother the team at all. I'm kind of indifferent to it. It seems like teams that start in Europe tend to have success anyway.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Snow Soccer

Mixed feelings about this. It's a good way to build camaraderie, a team in a foreign country (if you've studied or traveled abroad as a group you know what I'm talking about)...We're still going to be on the road for the first couple of weeks (or more) to start the year because of the renovations anyway.

Last edited by Snow Soccer: 03-20-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Snow Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Think it was posted at some point (don't remember when). This year's schedule was quite hectic, but it didn't seem to bother the team at all. I'm kind of indifferent to it. It seems like teams that start in Europe tend to have success anyway.
May have been that a bunch of young guys were trying to grow into their own to start this season but most likely the awful schedule had a drastic and noticeable impact on these guys at the beginning of the year. They didn't talk about it (BRich had a comment about how nightmarish it was) much but they were going entire halves of entire hockey games with 2 or 3 shots. Really kept them focused on D though for sure but I certainly havent forgotten how Lundqvist stole 6 or so points early on for us when this team looked worse than I've seen in a long time

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
ck20

I think it'll be better without the Euro games. You figure they get over there, have to readjust to the time change and, unless they use NHL-sized ice, rink size. Play a few games, then come back home and have to re-adjust to the time change again and if you got off to a not-so-great start like we did this year, it just puts a lot of stress on the team all together for those first 5-10 games.

ck20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
pld459666

I like the start overseas.

I like watching the teams play teams from other leagues.

It's fun

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Giacomin

I thought I remember reading that the Rangers were opening up out West next year and not Europe. Either way they have to start on the road and the schedule will probably be like this years down the stretch.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The League cancelled the games in Europe because it's anyone's guess whether the season will start on time since the CBA expires on Sept. 15th.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:26 PM
broadwayblue

guess the broadway hat is going to be pretty beat up if they can't replace it. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Shocked this isnt being talked about as much.

This was a never ending dicussion in october how terrible this trip was, you'd figure people would be thrilled we won't be doing that crap again.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Miller Time NYR

I don't mind NHL teams playing overseas AS LONG AS its not the rangers, that was a terrible way to start the season and our record showed it.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:07 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Rangers started the year overseas when they won the cup. Playing overseas isn't a bad thing, jumping back and fourth from Sweden to Slovakia back to Sweden so players get to play in their home towns and squeezing it all in in one preseason is.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:16 PM
trilobyte

I could be wrong, but wasn't the Rangers decision to start the season overseas this season a result of MSG renovations? Or, was it that they wanted to head over across the big pond and that just helped out the renovation crew?

I thought I read in some posts last year that the two were connected.

Last edited by trilobyte: 03-20-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
trilobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:08 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
I don't mind NHL teams playing overseas AS LONG AS its not the rangers, that was a terrible way to start the season and our record showed it.
Yeah, but look now.

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote