HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Trade Future Considerations for Alexandrov

Old
03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Trumanperro

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Awesome job Law!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
I guess Boston felt they owed us a favor after Rolston's 4-point night.
In all honesty, I do think this deal is linked to the most recent trade.

Mind you, the Isles have never seen anything from Chicago for Toews or from Tampa for Gervais.

I hope this has to do with neither of the ECHLers being good enough for the AHL so that there never really are any 'future considerations'.

Still, doesn't Alexandrov actually still have a valid contract with Boston???

I thought he had signed a normal ELC and then only spent one year in North America?

He looked pretty good in the scrimmages against the Isles' prospects back in 2010.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
F127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
In all honesty, I do think this deal is linked to the most recent trade.

Mind you, the Isles have never seen anything from Chicago for Toews or from Tampa for Gervais.

I hope this has to do with neither of the ECHLers being good enough for the AHL so that there never really are any 'future considerations'.

Still, doesn't Alexandrov actually still have a valid contract with Boston???

I thought he had signed a normal ELC and then only spent one year in North America?

He looked pretty good in the scrimmages against the Isles' prospects back in 2010.
I agree with that last line, I was impressed with him the couple times I watched him. According to Bruins fans he lacks commitment to conditioning and trying to really improve his game.

F127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles78 View Post
I agree with that last line, I was impressed with him the couple times I watched him. According to Bruins fans he lacks commitment to conditioning and trying to really improve his game.
Should fit right into Cappy's slackerville country club style...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
KHL has no league set rink size. Some teams play Olympic size other NA Size. Petrov is not going to turn down Large bags of cash to play in the AHL. If he comes across the Pond he is in the NHL.
In addition, I can tell you right now that he already has the size, speed, agility, strength and wherewithall to be in the NHL now.

Whether he'd have a season much like Niederreiter's or not, I cannot answer, but he is much more NHL-ready than him.

I would not worry about Petrov's ability to come in and immediately have an NHL job.

If Snow signs him, it's pretty much his to lose. The kid is much more ready for NHL play than many here think.

Now, is he ready to come in and make an offensive impact? Very likely not...

As for Alexandrov, the kid is solid, but unspectacular. He's no Klementyev. I gotta wonder what the team has up their sleeve with respect to getting him back over here.

Surely we can offer him ice time that Boston could not. Can he even be added to BPort this season???

I think not. But would he have to go through waivers to arrive at the Island? Not if his contract situation is more or less the same as Radulov's, which I believe it is.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles78 View Post
Sounds like a typical Russian

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:36 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
I'm glad you asked, what is the deal with this? Is it because it's not active roster players??
The trade deadline only restricts players from playing in the playoffs should they be traded after the 'deadline.' Teams can still make all the deals they want right now, however, none of the players involved in said hypothetical deals will have playoff eligibility.

Essentially, the trade deadline is more of a trade deadline for the playoffs.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Sounds like a generalization.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Now Klementyev can have a friend.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Now Klementyev can have a friend.
He's long gone...

Old
03-20-2012, 11:47 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
I really dont understand anyone on this board. The Bruins had a prospect they no longer wished to keep in the system. Someone on the Islanders liked him and the Islanders took a flyer on him basically acquiring his rights for free. What is the negativity about. The deadline is passed did you think the Islanders were going to work out a deal where they give up nothing and in return acquire Tyler Myers?

I really dont understand. Should Charles Wang instate a team policy that any move made by the franchise not considered to be a blockbuster not be released to the public?
That's not it at all. The issue is what this may herald. Signing him like HyeDrey states likely means they need defensemen for the Bridge next year when we call up multiple defensive projects. Now you may ask what the big deal is with that. Here's the big deal:

None of the defensemen at the Bridge should be playing on anything but limited duration emergency call ups. By proxy, it suggests that we won't be adding anyone to our defense in the summer.

That means hello top 5 pick next season. See the concern.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
He's long gone...
That's embarrassing...

Old
03-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
That's embarrassing...
Kind of... He was getting sparse ice time and was then sent to the ECHL. He refused to report and went back to Russia.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Kind of... He was getting sparse ice time and was then sent to the ECHL. He refused to report and went back to Russia.
I was talking about myself but it's embarrassing for him too; looks like he has no NHL future?

Old
03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Awesome job Law!
Somebody is in the wrong thread lol

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:37 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Somebody is in the wrong thread lol
Law's awesomeness knows no bounds!

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Law's awesomeness knows no bounds!
I lol'ed in class

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
+5 ahem... Vladimir Malakhov

leaponover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I hope you don't expect him to be in the NHL next season if Parenteau isn't re-signed. He needs a year in the AHL to get used to NA sized rinks.
Myth.

Not all KHL rinks are olympic sized...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Myth.

Not all KHL rinks are olympic sized...
I thought they were, already stood corrected.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
The trade deadline only restricts players from playing in the playoffs should they be traded after the 'deadline.' Teams can still make all the deals they want right now, however, none of the players involved in said hypothetical deals will have playoff eligibility.

Essentially, the trade deadline is more of a trade deadline for the playoffs.
Obviously the Isles have NOTHING to worry about when it comes to setting the playoff roster....they could be trading like a wall street junkie....lol

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:07 PM
C77

Alexandrov has stick skills that are really impressive for a defenseman and he has an okay shot. After that I guess there isn't too much to be excited about. He tried to play defense too much with the stick and didn't use his body at all.

I liked him last year for Providence because he played differently than the North American defensemen...He seems to like skating with the puck and he is patient...willing to skate backwards sort of like Kaberle does/did to wait for the play to progress like if the forwards are making a line change. He's not a "bang it off the glass and out" type which is something I like but I guess his drawbacks outweigh the good things he can bring which is something I did not want to admit but is probably true.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
That's not it at all. The issue is what this may herald. Signing him like HyeDrey states likely means they need defensemen for the Bridge next year when we call up multiple defensive projects. Now you may ask what the big deal is with that. Here's the big deal:

None of the defensemen at the Bridge should be playing on anything but limited duration emergency call ups. By proxy, it suggests that we won't be adding anyone to our defense in the summer.

That means hello top 5 pick next season. See the concern.
I disagree, I think this was a guy that someone in the Islanders system thought had potential and when he became available for nothing the Isles took a chance. He is only a short time removed from being a 2nd round pick. The same 2nd round picks that everyone on these boards gets a hard on over.

The Islanders will have Streit, MacDonald and Hamonic in the NHL next year baring some unexpected trade. That leaves three open spots. I do believe that they will give one of Donovan, deHaan or Ness a shot on the Islanders.

Donovan will be close to 23 years old when the season starts next year and is coming off a hell of a rookie season in the AHL, a solid college career and a solid WJC history. Im not so convinced it is far fetched for him to play in the NHL as a bottom pairing guy. I still don't buy into Ness and deHaan hasnt done anything to date to earn a sport but camp is there for a reason.

That leaves 2 open slots in the NHL.

Now lets cut back to the AHL. Figure that the top two or three spots are filled with deHaan/Ness/Donovan. Wishart is a free agent and most likely wont be signed, Katic is a free agent and could possibly be signed. That leaves 3-4 spots to fill in the AHL.

I really dont believe this move plays any roll in players being signed in the offseason.

Now dont confuse me as saying that I believe they will do the right thing and fill out our blue line but I dont think this move plays any roll in that decision.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote