HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Grange on Burke: Tough to tolerate failure

Old
03-21-2012, 01:44 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Michael Grange on Burke: Tough to tolerate failure

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ing_franchise/

Quote:
At what point will Burke look at what he has and recognize what it is: a small, mentally weak hockey team with questionable leadership while lacking a top-flight goalie, a premier defenceman and an elite centre?

The question I posed to a few who know Burke well is whether or not he's got it in his truculent soul to look at himself, what he's wrought and admit that he's made a few boo-boos.

Eyebrows go up. Pauses. Stammers. "I hope so," says one.

A prominent players agent: "He's got himself in a really tough situation. He's betwixt and between."

Burke's Leafs are four years into a rebuilding program that wasn't supposed to be a five-year rebuilding program and yet is missing the one benefit that is supposed to accrue to teams that consistently miss the playoffs: top talent accumulated through the draft.

The question will soon become how desperate will Burke be to maintain his reputation as a front office sage?

He has some assets. For all of the regrets on the Kessel trade, the Leafs still have a lethal goal-scorer who is just 24 and earning a manageable $5.4-million a year.

His linemate Joffery Lupul is a classic reclamation project and the kind of player that should be dealt first chance in order to gain maximum return while his stock is up.

Perhaps Mikhail Grabovski could net something as a dynamic player coming off a career year?

The brave move would be to trade for young players or picks that fit the mold Carlyle would like to coach. If it means taking a couple of steps back to move forward, so be it.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:49 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

So.... Rip it down and start again?.... This thing is gonna be a 10 year rebuild by the time we see the playoffs

BudMaster17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:33 AM
ansoncarter

think he's right, trade some of the no-fight players who've proven they can only make the playoffs if new players come in and drag them there

if they have to be dragged into the playoffs, they would definitely have to be dragged through the playoffs, because it doesn't get any easier. So don't see the point of them if Burke really is building with the Cup in mind. They've proven they aren't the right people for that.

ansoncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:05 AM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
So.... Rip it down and start again?.... This thing is gonna be a 10 year rebuild by the time we see the playoffs
if you dont rip it down this team will NEVER make the playoffs, so 10 years doesnt seem all that long.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
ACC1224

Things would look alot better with competant Goaltending.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
And a little heart.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
And a little heart.
I think the poor goaltending effects that as well.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
noway

Quote:
That's cause they didn't do it right the first time or the second time.
I think 10 years is being optimistic considering where they are now.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Soul Vibe Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Far from it. The whole team is a ****ing disaster. So many flaws/ issues you cant just mention one area.

Soul Vibe Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Well, blame Burke for not starting this thing properly five years ago.

Everybody with half a brain saw this coming. Only Burke himself and Leaf fans who enjoy being told what to think thought he going about his rebuild the right way.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
But you know what the end result is? We make the playoffs, better yet, we potentially contend for a cup.

Much to the displeasure of tank-haters the process works. Put it in the hands of a capable GM and you have a dangerous team in a couple years. NYI without Milbury could have had Luongo, Connolly (in his prime where he was a truely dangeorus player), Spezza, Chara, whoever they take instead of Rick DiPietro (Heatley or Gaborik) and then whoever else they might get in later rounds. Milbury ****ED THAT TEAM HARD.

Much to the same of Florida when its owners didn't directly influence the team.

The only true bad tankers are Edmonton and Columbus. But yeah it could work. Burke needs to swallow his pride and pull something like Keenan said and just trade for differnet pieces and try to get something working. Maybe flip Phaneuf for a #2 LD and draft Trouba.

But I do agree with the article, need to sell high on Lupul.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:18 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Very well written IMO. And a lot of good points.

Maybe trading for guys, young guys, that fit Carlyle's system is the way to go. Its how Anaheim won. Big, mean, two way team. Though it helps having two HoF defensemen and, at the time, a great starting goalie.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:21 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Come everyone can see problems with this team beyond goaltending.

Defense is slow and not that bright.

Forwards lack depth and are soft and small.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Some of us of the few minority were ahead of the curve on this, while most wanted to fool themselves into believing that major changes were not needed.

Again, to make a significant change in the direction of this organization, we have to trade players that will fetch the best possible return. Burke has to explore trading assets Kessel, Phaneuf and Grabo. These guys are not bad players, but they are not great leaders. They can bring back nice pieces.

The Leafs need a team Burke has promised, truculence, backbone, size, ect...we know the speech by now. I still think he has it in him, but he has to come clean and admit these players he has invested in are not the right mix.

Give him 1 year or the until the summer to see what moves he has in mind. I think Burke can still get the job done. But this is his last chance, I doubt the new owners will be as patient.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:44 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Some of us of the few minority were ahead of the curve on this, while most wanted to fool themselves into believing that major changes were not needed.

Again, to make a significant change in the direction of this organization, we have to trade players that will fetch the best possible return. Burke has to explore trading assets Kessel, Phaneuf and Grabo. These guys are not bad players, but they are not great leaders. They can bring back nice pieces.

The Leafs need a team Burke has promised, truculence, backbone, size, ect...we know the speech by now. I still think he has it in him, but he has to come clean and admit these players he has invested in are not the right mix.

Give him 1 year or the until the summer to see what moves he has in mind. I think Burke can still get the job done. But this is his last chance, I doubt the new owners will be as patient.
I'm concerned about what he will do next.

Easy to have patience at the beginning of a 5/6 year contract not so much when your results are no better 3.5 years into that contract.

We can pretend things are much better, but no awards are given for imagination.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

But the players who, if you think about it, fit Carlyle's system are not doing well with him either than what do you do?

On paper Phaneuf has had a great year but I want him gone from this team. Schenn has taken upon a mission to not improve his foot speed.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'm concerned about what he will do next.

Easy to have patience at the beginning of a 5/6 year contract not so much when your results are no better 3.5 years into that contract.

We can pretend things are much better, but no awards are given for imagination.
We may need to cut back on that 7 headed monster mgt team, really Nonis and Burke should be enough. I don't know why we need so many Mgrs. Go with the most proven guys, Dudley should be enough and rebuild from there. Too many cooks cooking in the kitchen.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:07 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

We're the new smurfs minus the legit goalie

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Dark Passenger

One of the frustrating things for me, our two biggest needs now, and have been for a while, is a number one goalie and a number one centre. Both Rask and Seguin could easily have been playing in a Leaf uniform and two pieces we could easily build around.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:52 AM
showtime8

Man, do I hope the ticket sales and prices for jersey's go down..... Oh wait... that can't be right. 7 years no playoffs + constant ticket sales = winning nature!

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:56 AM
ThreeHundred

Its astonishing when you watch a great team play and then watch our games.. kinda sad actually lol

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

As long as he doesn't trade young assets or 1st round picks idc what burke does. Stick to the blueprint burke

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
As long as he doesn't trade young assets or 1st round picks idc what burke does. Stick to the blueprint burke
Idk man, if he doesn't make the playoffs he could be canned.. so he might have to trade some of them but who knows.. I could see Schenn being traded

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

I'm not sure that he'll have the flexibility to make the changes you're hoping for this summer.

The Leafs already have $57M committed to next seasons salary cap with the 17 players listed below:

J. Lupul - T. Bozak - P. Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - _____
Lombardi - Connolly - Armstrong
______ - Steckel - M.Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Liles - Gardiner
Schenn - Komisarek
_____

Reimer - _____

RFA: Kulemin, Frattin, Rosehill, Franson
UFA: Crabb, Gustavsson

Much of the re-shaping might have to wait for the summer of 2014, when Lupul, Connolly, MacArthur, Bozak, Armstrong, Lombardi and Steckel all become UFA's.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Beleafer4

I dont get why we should completely blow it up, or of we do, I would like to get at least two playoff years down. Tired of being the laughingstock of the league.

If I were GM I would go all out.

Trade schenn + for brown
Connolly for a third
If calgary doesnt like Oli's demands, they can have lombardi.
Armstrong to the sharks.
Komisarek to the islanders.
Liles to the devils?
Sign Stoll/ Gaustad, trade bozak for a second
Trade Mac + 2nd for a decent defenseman. I cant think of a name. A good number 4.
Who are the UFA goalies this year? We need to sign one or claim a reclamation project. Vokoun?
The only way I trade Lupes is if we get a top D or top Goalie in return. Lupul is clutch and doesnt **** up. Those are the type of players we need.

Im not going to trade him for another forward unless he is a powerforward center, a la benn.

As for our pick. If we miss out on grigorenko,I would trade down a couple of spots or trade the pick for a 1C (maybe LA again).

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote