HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Steve Tambellini - Does he deserve anymore time?

View Poll Results: Does Tambo deserve more time?
Yes give him a multi year extension 10 12.82%
One more year and if he shows nothing thats it 46 58.97%
Not a chance get him out of hear now! 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

vCash: 500
Steve Tambellini - Does he deserve anymore time?

Hey all, I know we've talked about this a lot lately but there is no thread around here and there is a few about a coaching change but it seems quite a few still believe Tambo deserves a bit more time on our club.

Does Tambo deserve some more time ? Has he shown enough to continue his work here?

I'm not so sure he does..

Also wanted to throw in some art I made of our GM

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Chooch

He doesn't deserve it but i imagine the Oilers will make their annual typical blonde move and sign him.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I think he has been okay, not great but okay. Enough to get a couple years to turn things around. I blame Renney more than Tambo for how much we have sucked this year.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I want to see him get a one year extension. If he can keep his promise of properly bolstering our defense this offseason, I say keep him around. If not, find someone who can. The one thing he gets underrated on though, is he simply doesn't lose trades. That's something we need at this stage. We don't need a Burke type coming in and taking risks with our future

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
He doesn't deserve it but i imagine the Oilers will make their annual typical blonde move and sign him.
Yup. They will resign him for 3-5 years and then fire him after 1 year. This is how the Oilers do things.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
Yup. They will resign him for 3-5 years and then fire him after 1 year. This is how the Oilers do things.
What's it to you? Not like you're the one signing his pay cheques.

From a fan's perspective, he probably isn't doing a great job. But if you're Daryl Katz and you say you want a rebuild and you want to do it through the draft, it's pretty tough to argue that Tambellini hasn't done exactly what was asked of him.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:42 PM
nullterm

He's done good in some areas, bad in others. Bottom line is we need better if this team is going to go anywhere and clean up some long lingering issues.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
CopperBlue2794

One more year.

Obviously I would have liked more improvement this year, at the start of the year I said I would have been happy if we finished 12th in the west. However I feel like we got the best of both worlds this year. I got to watch some entertaining hockey which included some incredible wins and individual performances to go along with the fact that we rarely got blown out. Our power play improved dramatically,pk improved, the 3 kids exceeded expectations, and Petry and Smid both took huge steps forward. On the flip side this year was very frustrating to watch at times due to our vets and Renney.

Tambo has done a great job rebuilding the farm system but starting at the end of this year it's time to win. I want a press conference with them stating that if they don't make the playoffs then the season will be a failure. If Renney is fired and he most likely will be then Steve will get his THIRD hand-picked coach so if we don't start leaping up the standings it will be his *** on the line.

In no way shape or form should the future be sacrificed for the present - but it's time for him to shore up the defense. Similar to the Blue Jays, the Oilers are in a position now where they can afford to make a 3 for 1 or 4 for 1 trade because of the farm's depth (especially if this draft is successful, which it will be because of the magnificent *******.)

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
molsonmuscle360

He needs one more year...They brought him in to rebuild, and that's what he's done. If they don't get rid of Renney this offseason though, I have a feeling they will both see the door at the end of next year if they don't make the playoffs....But I just can't see Renney staying.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Njoy Oilers

1 yr to bring in some size & grit, with the secondary scoring.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Evil Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
When did they do this?

Last few coaches.

Ron Low - Contract Expired
K.Lowe - Kicked upstairs
MacT - Contract expired
Quinn - 2 year deal, FIRED after 1
Renney - 3 year deal about to expire

GM's

Some Guy - ??? (doubt he had a 5 year deal)
Glen Sather - Contract expired - Goes to NY
K-Lowe - Kicked Upstairs
Steve T - Contract about to expire

Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
I voted one year but I can see them probably giving him that two year deal that has been rumored, this next year will show if he can prove that he can take this team over the top by adding the peices to make us a winning team again. If we are in the same spot come next year he will get the boot and rightfully should

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I don't understand the Tambellini crtiques.

Tambellini had the balls to do something Kevin Lowe never would have done, re-build, and it was the best thing for this organization. Lowe made a complete mess of this team when Tambo took over and if anyone isn't able to admit he has done a great job cleaning it up they are crazy. If Lowe was still GM I have no doubt we would still be overpaying to keep players, and overpaying to add players as well while fighting for an 8th seed for the next decade as we were before. If Tambellini never re-built we wouldn't have Hall or Nuge.

His trades have been great as far as I'm concerned aside from the Whitney and Cole trades. His signings have been just fine aside from Khabibulin. He and his scouting staff have been VERY good. He's been active pursuing College Free Agents, something we're not used to. I don't mind Tambellini one bit and am sure he will be more agressive when he needs to be.

I voted multi year, hoping for two years and nothing more.

EDIT - And the fact Tambellini is much more conservative then Lowe is a good thing IMO. He's not crippling our team for the future like we know Lowe would. With all this said, I'm giving him a chance and if he stays conservative when we want to become a playoff team than I will have a problem with him.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Perfect_Drug

Tambo is the anti-Burke.

What Burke got out of his high-wire "wheeling and dealing act", was running in place, while destroying the teams depth and future.

What Tambellini got for his 'stay put' refusal to force moves that are bad for the organization. As a result he removed a LOT of the cancer (Souray, Moreau, POS, Nilsson) we went from NO farm team to one of the best in the AHL, the best up and coming forward talent in the league, and another lottery pick that can be used to either solidify our backend, or our depth.

The only issues I've had with him are his coach selections. Something I hope he rectifies this summer.

In my mind, he gets a 1 year extension.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:49 PM
#ualberta

1 more year he needs to fire renney and we need to move up Significantly ( playoff battle this time next year) tambo hasn't done anything terribly wrong that said he hadn't done anything outstanding some G and D work this offseason combined with better coaching and we'll be fine if next year we r in the same position (or one spot better) then fire him

Last edited by 402: 03-21-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Spelling error
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:56 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Two more years. By the end of the 13-14 season a lot of his 2nd/3rd rounders should be looking like impact players end Edmonton should look like a scary team.

If not, then he's fired after that.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:02 AM
timekeep

He has drafted fine, but not sure how much he had to do with that. The trading has been scary part, very gun shy and cautious. Should have traded Hemsky a year and half ago.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Angry Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
He has drafted fine, but not sure how much he had to do with that. The trading has been scary part, very gun shy and cautious. Should have traded Hemsky a year and half ago.
This is exactly right.

The drafting will only take us so far, the trading and FA signings will be vital to being a genuine contender and hopefully getting a cup. He is conservative and I dont think he is a great evaluator of what we really need and then going out and getting that

Remember after free agency last year that he seemed to genuinely believe that he had put together a squad that were play off bound!! Yet here we are sitting in 29th place with 90% of the regular season done

He needs to go

Angry Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:30 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Tambo has to go, this team could have made the playoffs this year if he was willing to make a deal for a top 4 d-man last summer. Instead he sat on his hands and were back to the bottom of the league standings once again. Also anyone who thinks he's won trades needs to have there head examined. Can anyone give me an example of a trade where Tambo sent out a player and got a better player in return? Because the guy who gets the best player in the deal is the team that wins it. It's Tambo's incompetence that has lead us to last in the league for close to 3 years running no way I extend him. And how can you blame Renney for this season? You can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Tambo has to go, this team could have made the playoffs this year if he was willing to make a deal for a top 4 d-man last summer. Instead he sat on his hands and were back to the bottom of the league standings once again. Also anyone who thinks he's won trades needs to have there head examined. Can anyone give me an example of a trade where Tambo sent out a player and got a better player in return? Because the guy who gets the best player in the deal is the team that wins it. It's Tambo's incompetence that has lead us to last in the league for close to 3 years running no way I extend him. And how can you blame Renney for this season? You can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****.
Truth is though talent wise IMO we needed another lottery pick.

You're going to compete for anything with what? One good line and what else? Big whoop, every decent team has one good line.

We're either going to get a very high end 2nd line center or a top pairing d-man in this draft and long term that's for the best.

I tend to think teams that try to get out of the rebuild phase too quickly or try to "cheat" their way out (ie: Toronto) can often end up in trouble long term because they didn't amass enough talent when they should have been.

What's Toronto got to show for the Kessel offer sheet? Sure there have been times where they flirted with the playoffs the last two years, but that's about it. They would've been better off taking their licks and getting Seguin + Landeskog the last two years and having a real core to build with for the next 10 years.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:43 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Truth is though talent wise IMO we needed another lottery pick.

You're going to compete for anything with what? One good line and what else? Big whoop, every decent team has one good line.

We're either going to get a very high end 2nd line center or a top pairing d-man in this draft and long term that's for the best.

I tend to think teams that try to get out of the rebuild phase too quickly or try to "cheat" their way out (ie: Toronto) can often end up in trouble long term because they didn't amass enough talent when they should have been.

What's Toronto got to show for the Kessel offer sheet? Sure there have been times where they flirted with the playoffs the last two years, but that's about it. They would've been better off taking their licks and getting Seguin + Landeskog the last two years and having a real core to build with for the next 10 years.
How many years did the defending cups champs pick in the lottery over the last decade? There's more then one way to skin a cat, you don't have to always pick first overall to win a cup. And our rebuild is comparing quite well to the early 2000 Thrashers. My point is you don't intentionally go into a season looking to finish last on purpose. It's bad Karma and I won't be surprised if this blows up in managements face.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:52 AM
CopperBlue2794

Quote:
How many years did the defending cups champs pick in the lottery over the last decade? There's more then one way to skin a cat, you don't have to always pick first overall to win a cup. And our rebuild is comparing quite well to the early 2000 Thrashers. My point is you don't intentionally go into a season looking to finish last on purpose. It's bad Karma and I won't be surprised if this blows up in managements face.
Nope. Hall + RNH + Eberle >>>>>> Kovalchuk + Hossa

I'm on the same page as Soundwave. The organization didn't tank this year but they didn't overpay for a FA defenseman (IE: Wisniewski, Ehrhoff.) They also wanted to evaluate Gagner, Jones, etc. another year rather than trading them for immediate help which was smart. I think going into the year Tambellini felt like come June 2012 he'd be picking in the 5-10 range and maybe if he hit a home run with Barker and if Belanger had been the player he has been the past 5 years maybe they make a bit of a push and play over their heads.

Now, Gagner's value is higher, they have two absolute bonafide defenseman for the core in Petry and Smid, a solid 2nd pairing guy in Schultz who will be that calming influence for a team that will run and gun, and we're going to get another elite-level prospect whether it be Grigorenko, Murray, or Dumba.

There's no way you can compare this to Atlanta, Columbus, or the Islanders. If our second round picks and later become legit NHLer's then this team has the makings for some serious long-term success.

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
It could blow up in our faces sure, but it's not like we didn't try to skin the cat every other way.

We tried to overpay for big name UFAs (Hossa) and for mid-tier UFAs (Nylander) and were rebuffed.

We tried to offer sheet Vanek. Didn't work. Then settled for Penner (lol).

We tried the trade route, even worked out a trade for Heatley and were rebuffed again.

And just for the record off the top of my head, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Tampa, Chicago, and Boston are 5 of the last 7 Cup winners who have picked in the lottery within a few years of their Cup wins. 4 of those 5 had multiple lottery picks in succession. EDIT: Anaheim as well picked in the lottery (Bobby Ryan) and won the Cup a few years later, though Ryan wasn't on that team. So if finishing in the lottery breeds bad karma, it doesn't seem to have affected 6 of the last 7 Cup champions as they all found themselves in the lottery a couple of years before winning the big prize.

Granted though Boston also has the luxury of signing a UFA like Chara. The Oilers did try to sign him in the summer of 2006 and he said no.

Last edited by Soundwave: 03-22-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:57 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperBlue2794 View Post
Nope. Hall + RNH + Eberle >>>>>> Kovalchuk + Hossa

I'm on the same page as Soundwave. The organization didn't tank this year but they didn't overpay for a FA defenseman (IE: Wisniewski, Ehrhoff.) They also wanted to evaluate Gagner, Jones, etc. another year rather than trading them for immediate help which was smart. I think going into the year Tambellini felt like come June 2012 he'd be picking in the 5-10 range and maybe if he hit a home run with Barker and if Belanger had been the player he has been the past 5 years maybe they make a bit of a push and play over their heads.

Now, Gagner's value is higher, they have two absolute bonafide defenseman for the core in Petry and Smid, a solid 2nd pairing guy in Schultz who will be that calming influence for a team that will run and gun, and we're going to get another elite-level prospect whether it be Grigorenko, Murray, or Dumba.

There's no way you can compare this to Atlanta, Columbus, or the Islanders. If our second round picks and later become legit NHLer's then this team has the makings for some serious long-term success.
Heatley+ Kovalchuk was pretty deadly and they had a very talented Savard there as well for a few years. We already have 3 up and coming superstars on this team, Tambo should have made a push for the playoffs and gave the kids something to play for past Christmas. You can find lots of very good d men lower in the 1st and 2nd rounds, you don't need to be bottom 5.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:58 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't understand the Tambellini crtiques.
And I don't understand the Tamby apologists .

Quote:
Tambellini had the balls to do something Kevin Lowe never would have done, re-build, and it was the best thing for this organization.
Really ? You think Tamby came up with the idea to do a rebuild all by himself ? Not a chance . More likely that Katz and Lowe came up with the idea and then went looking for a weak yes man who would go along with it because he was just glad to finally have a GM job in the NHL after getting passed over in his own organization several times .

Quote:
Lowe made a complete mess of this team when Tambo took over and if anyone isn't able to admit he has done a great job cleaning it up they are crazy.
He hasn't cleaned up anything (except the farm team which any monkey could accomplish given the budget) yet . The team has had back to back to back last place finishes under his watch . You call that a "great job" ? Excuse me for saying so but maybe you aren't qualified to judge crazy .

Quote:
His signings have been just fine aside from Khabibulin.
Yeah awesome .... Foster , Fraser , Barker , Eager , Belanger .... that reads like a who's who of hockey winners right there .

Quote:
He's not crippling our team for the future like we know Lowe would.
Nah ... he's just taken one of the most storied franchises in the NHL and turned us into the joke of the league .

Can't possibly get rid of this clown fast enough to suit me .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote