HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Apparently Bernier's mask is a problem

Old
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
SLang

vCash: 500
Well if the Kings can show previous use without any questions being raised I would think that it would make the case of the owners of the sign pretty weak.

That being said, they're morons. Bernier's not making a cent off the use of the sign on the mask (far as I know), and they're getting free advertising for "their" sign every time he plays.

This is how icons get destroyed. As soon as someone runs around claiming their ownership of something that's always been seen as part of the public trust (whether true or not) then people stop caring. Next thing you know, the icon disappears. Sucks.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
SLang

BTW guys, you can go to "The Hollywood Sign" facebook page and post up your thoughts. It's the real FB page, directly linked from the HCC website.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

In the linked story, there is a picture (from another link) of what they did to it. It now says Kings there. Unreal. I'm guessing it's because the chamber of commerce is desperate. A few years ago, they thought they would have to take the Hollywood sign down because they couldn't pay to keep it clean/graffiti free. A few celebrities stepped in and saved it. Of course, this was after Hrudey or anyone else had it on their mask. Sad, as it looked awesome on his mask.

Speaking of which, is he ever going to show his "new' mask? At this point, we may never see it if he gets traded in the off season.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Bandit

Should have changed it to "LOLLYWOOD"

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Change it to Bollywood.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Face Wash

he should change it to...

"**** you overly litigious Hollywood Sign people who clearly lack the brain power to realize I'm not profiting from use of your image, nor am I showing it in a negative light. You didn't threaten Kelly Hrudey like this! Go **** yourself!"

But I guess that wouldn't fit.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Apparently, some short-sighted and IQ-deprived politicians have nothing better to do (say, perhaps, clean up the streets of Hollywood so the tourists who expect better aren't so bitterly disappointed when they come here?), so they decide to try to drum up some ill-contrived controversy over a (back-up goalie, mind you) hockey mask, of all things.

This may be one of the most pathetic attempts at protecting copyright infringement I have ever heard of. No doubt, they are hearing about it now, and rued the day they brought it up.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Would they even have a case? He had been using this mask for a couple seasons.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
In the linked story, there is a picture (from another link) of what they did to it. It now says Kings there. Unreal. I'm guessing it's because the chamber of commerce is desperate. A few years ago, they thought they would have to take the Hollywood sign down because they couldn't pay to keep it clean/graffiti free. A few celebrities stepped in and saved it. Of course, this was after Hrudey or anyone else had it on their mask. Sad, as it looked awesome on his mask.

Speaking of which, is he ever going to show his "new' mask? At this point, we may never see it if he gets traded in the off season.
Isn't there anything like barbwire fencing or anything around the sign?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

That'd be awesome if he just changed the font, left Hollywood on there and just put a bunch of Hollywood stereotypes in picture form on the mask. Maybe a transexual snorting some cocaine?

I loved Quicks mask with the Goalie silouette in the sunset. Bernier should go with a beach theme; something actually worth visiting in California.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:14 PM
SLang

What's really annoying is the HCC never really did anything for the sign itself, other than managing its' restoration.....all the money has come from somewhere else.....the PUBLIC, if you will.

Old
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
That'd be awesome if he just changed the font, left Hollywood on there and just put a bunch of Hollywood stereotypes in picture form on the mask. Maybe a transexual snorting some cocaine?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:44 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Isn't there anything like barbwire fencing or anything around the sign?
Nope, at least not the last time I saw it up close. You used to be able to hike straight to it. It's just on a steep hill.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:03 PM
KingNothing4

This is retarded, I thought royalties were a percentage of your revenue or profits? He doesn't make a penny from having that on his helmet so how the heck would they collect royalties from him? Unless there is a different form of royalty that may apply here?

Quote:
Nope, at least not the last time I saw it up close. You used to be able to hike straight to it. It's just on a steep hill.
I guess you hiked up from under it/in front of it? If you take the Hollyridge trail, which takes you up the back and you end up behind it, there is a fence (topped with barbwire I believe), quite a few cameras, and signs posted. It'd be easy to go around this fence, as it ends not too far back down the trail, but supposedly they enforce it pretty strictly. Did see a cop driving down the trail/road on my way up.

Oh, I hiked up the back about 7 months ago.

Last edited by KingNothing4: 03-21-2012 at 05:16 PM.
KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Apparently you can hike right up to it, according to Friends with Benefits and Mila Kunis.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

unbelievable

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:12 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Apparently you can hike right up to it, according to Friends with Benefits and Mila Kunis.
I did about 9 years ago

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:30 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNothing4 View Post
I guess you hiked up from under it/in front of it? If you take the Hollyridge trail, which takes you up the back and you end up behind it, there is a fence (topped with barbwire I believe), quite a few cameras, and signs posted. It'd be easy to go around this fence, as it ends not too far back down the trail, but supposedly they enforce it pretty strictly. Did see a cop driving down the trail/road on my way up.

Oh, I hiked up the back about 7 months ago.

I was there many many many years ago. I think it was pre-fence.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
I was there many many many years ago. I think it was pre-fence.
Ah I see. Did some searching and read that the only fence is behind it, but now people would likely be spotted by the cameras and arrested, appears they are cracking down on it much more now. Guess they don't want it tagged or more people committing suicide from it!

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
1971kingsfan

posted on the other board, but guy fawks would make a fitting replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guy-fawkes-mask.jpg‎ (8.9 KB, 1 views)

1971kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Issue resolved?...from Mayor's Manor:

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/03/berni...ollywood-sign/

Quote:
“This has now been brought to my attention and we’ve looked into it further,” she began. “The Chamber has no objection to the use of it in that nature (referring to Bernier’s use on his mask). Therefore, a letter has already gone out – prior to me calling you back – letting them know…that we appoligze for the inconvenience of the original letter. The Chamber has no objection to the use. He can continue to use it that way.”

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Face Wash

Apparently even the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce needed its own 15 minutes of fame.

Old
03-21-2012, 07:00 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Apparently even the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce needed its own 15 minutes of fame.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce did themselves a huge disservice with this whole issue. Even though Bernier is allowed to have it on his mask, the NHL will probably not approve of any future goalie who wants to put it on his mask, not wanting to raise the issue again. So instead of free advertising for them, they get nothing but unnecessary bad publicity.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce did themselves a huge disservice with this whole issue. Even though Bernier is allowed to have it on his mask, the NHL will probably not approve of any future goalie who wants to put it on his mask, not wanting to raise the issue again. So instead of free advertising for them, they get nothing but unnecessary bad publicity.
So if Zatkoff or Jones makes the team someday and they want to use a beach scene theyll have to ok it with the palm tree society first? What if Manhattan Beach thinks the likeness looks too much like their beach...

Old
03-21-2012, 07:18 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Should have changed it to "LOLLYWOOD"
How about Dollarwood?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote