HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs fans now chant ‘Fire Burkie'

Old
03-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyExit View Post
I was all the way up in 319 and people were going off with this chant. For a second I felt like joining in, but it felt too silly to me. It was funny. But I personally don't want Burke fired. Not yet anyway. He's made good and bad moves, and I see cases for both sides. If people want to chant then go ahead. I don't think he's going anywhere for a little while. I do agree that we Leafs fans can get radical, but to be honest there is obviously a lot of restlessness among the fans of this team that has built up over the years. So let them call for his head or whatever.

I still think he's a good GM, but I can think that without drinking the kool-aid. Clearly the quick fix retooling or whatever has failed and we are now bordering on 5 years of suckage without the draft picks that go along with it. It will be interesting to see what he says at the conclusion of the season, and let's see what he does at the draft and during the off-season.
It's not as simple as "Burke made some good trades and some bad trades... it's a wash".
It certainly is NOT a wash.

It's been almost 4 years.
Our team currently sits in the bottom ten in the league (may finish bottom 5), and our prospect depth is still utterly mediocre without even a single blue chipper.

I personally expect much more from the highest paid GM in league history, the highest paid front office in league history, the highest paid scouting department in league history, and having the finances to spend right to the cap.

When you consider Burke's proposterous financial advantages over the vast majority of other teams in the league, you can't say after 4 years "won some trades, lost some trades... it's a wash"!!!

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
We are already seeing Phil Kessel become a PPG player. Gardiner has potential, Kadri will need to work on his game. There are a bunch of other draft picks that will need time in the AHL. Building a contender takes a long time. Look at Vancouver.
Every team has some young players that are doing pretty good.
Every team.

Every team has prospects that need time in the ahl.
Every team.

So that's all it takes for you to be content? Having some young players on the team?
Having some players in the ahl? Wow

Me personally... I expect after 8 years of no playoffs (4 now, on Burke`s watch) that our team would be AT THE VERY LEAST competing for the playoffs right now.
I expect, after finishing 7th last, 7th last, 2nd last, and 9th last, that we would have at least ONE blue chip prospect.

I once again am utterly dumbfounded at how complacent many leafs fans can be.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:07 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

This Burkeian tragedy is self inflicted.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:15 AM
pdmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Sometimes it embarrasses me to be a leaf fan when these stupid chants rile up.
Personally, I think fans are well within their rights to voice their displeasure. Many fans call for boycotting the games and hurting ownership where it counts by not spending money on tickets and all the other revenue sources associated with going to a game. But let's face it, that's not going to happen. So the next best thing to make management pull that tie a little looser, is to let them hear it.

This isn't like fans are turning on them at the first sign of distress. It's been 8 years of no playoffs with no progress in the standings under Burke in 4 years. You could hardly accuse the fans of being fickle, they have been incredibly patient.

pdmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:46 AM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
It's not as simple as "Burke made some good trades and some bad trades... it's a wash".

Our team currently sits in the bottom ten in the league (may finish bottom 5), and our prospect depth is still utterly mediocre without even a single blue chipper.

I personally expect much more from the highest paid GM in league history, the highest paid front office in league history, the highest paid scouting department in league history, and having the finances to spend right to the cap.

When you consider Burke's proposterous financial advantages over the vast majority of other teams in the league, you can't say after 4 years "won some trades, lost some trades... it's a wash"!!!
At no point did I say it was a wash, although my post might have made it sound like that's what I meant. I know it's not a wash, it is obvious that this team has a lot of holes and that is why they are where they are in the standings. I will give him credit where it is due however, hence me mentioning that he has done some good things.

With that said I'm not saying he's done an outstanding job or anything. A year ago I would have disagreed with you, and earlier in the season I would have also disagreed. I'm losing my faith though and at this point I'm not happy with where this team is at this point during his tenure. I thought I addressed that in my post when I said that this team has been crap but we have missed out on taking advantage of that by getting rid of some important draft picks.

I'm not blindly following him, but what I'm saying is I'll let him try to fix this mess. If he gets fired and a new guy comes in then the process begins again. In either case we will have to wait and see so in the end it doesn't matter to me.

EmergencyExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Dalton

I think fans can chant whatever they want. How much do they pay for these tickets at the ACC? If I was inclined to be embarrassed it would be about why they chant.

How low does this ship sink on year 3.5 of the less than 5 year refool?
When was the last time a Leafs team lost a game because they were afraid of the other team? A series? Burke should most certainly be fired after this season. This team is a spectacular disaster and it's Burke's team.

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:34 AM
K19*

This made my day. I just hope it continues. Burke deserves to squirm in his seat.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:45 AM
ansoncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyExit View Post
If he gets fired and a new guy comes in then the process begins again.
only if we hire his doppleganger

I'd assume a new gm will have a new process

maybe we'll get lucky this time and find somone who's process works. Because burkes clearly does not.

personally I'm hoping he'll be the first GM to commit to a proper rebuild, since the plague that is MLSE refused to ever allow it and that has been the one constant in all the decades of money grubbing

ansoncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Dalton

Not to mention the success we see from other teams with new GMs.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:55 AM
DelGriffith

He wanted to build a Stanley cup contender in 5 years and he hasn't even made it to the playoffs yet. He has no blueprint, just running on the fly. "I always build from the net out" after 4 years that's a pretty embarrassing statement.

DelGriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:56 AM
DelGriffith

Can we get the whole stadium to chant fire Burke so he can fire himself?

DelGriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Could it be you simply nodded off ND in the 3rd period from all the excitement of the Leafs mounting a blazing 13 shot attack that you missed it?

Quite possible, is was a snoozer, the fans are getting ugly, if the team doesn't get its act together we could have another Red Wing situation from the 80's when disgruntled Leaf fans threw their Leaf sweaters on the ice after falling behind 8-0.

The sea is angry these days, my friend.

PS. After reading the papers there was a chant but I swear I did not hear it.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:11 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Sometimes it embarrasses me to be a leaf fan when these stupid chants rile up.
+ 2

I have no problems with fans expressing themselves, but we 'fire Burke' chants, get real.

He has made some good & bad trades, made us the 2nd youngest team in the NHL. 1st fans were all up in arms because we were to old, now bi&ch*ng cause we're too young.

The players need time to blossom, it won't happen over night. This off-season will be HUGE for us.

I was watching the game & didn't hear that chant. I call it BS on the article as well.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
This off-season will be HUGE for us.
We've been down that road before.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
+ 2

I have no problems with fans expressing themselves, but we 'fire Burke' chants, get real.

He has made some good & bad trades, made us the 2nd youngest team in the NHL. 1st fans were all up in arms because we were to old, now bi&ch*ng cause we're too young.

The players need time to blossom, it won't happen over night. This off-season will be HUGE for us.

I was watching the game & didn't hear that chant. I call it BS on the article as well.
I find it ironic that the posters wanting the much ballyhooed traditional tank rebuild preaching patience are the biggest whiners to day. We have the second youngest team in the NHL, with 7 first round draft picks from the past 4 drafts in the system yet when the team struggles mightly they rant like hell.

Where's the patience folks?

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:32 AM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The Star confirms the chant.
this is silly

there are many fans who were at the game or watched on tv who did not hear the "chant"

but because the star says there was a faint one this is somehow newsworthy? that could be a single row of drunk buddies chanting for 30 seconds

the bigger point of the story is the media is so eager to get burke they will seize on anything no matter how trivial

(in saying this i am not endorsing burke)

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:38 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

The media smell blood in the water. This stuff sells papers and generates hits.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:44 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I find it ironic that the posters wanting the much ballyhooed traditional tank rebuild preaching patience are the biggest whiners to day. We have the second youngest team in the NHL, with 7 first round draft picks from the past 4 drafts in the system yet when the team struggles mightly they rant like hell.

Where's the patience folks?
Patience was scoffed at by Burke from the beginning. They're judging the gm by his own criteria of success: playoff qualification.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelGriffith View Post
Can we get the whole stadium to chant fire Burke so he can fire himself?
i wonder if burke was in tannebaum's shoes if hed fire himself?he should go too ..there is no defending him .and take nonis and poulin too ...they sat back and nodded theirs heads along with burke .what a freeking mess

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Do I think it is the best idea to fire Burke at this time? No.

Do I think it is a terrible idea? Nope.

He has been a horrible failure and he deserves to have A LOT more blame than he has been willing to accept. Burke has done a collosally terrible job and it simply is not possible for a replacement to do any worse.

Quote:
+ 2

People arent *****ing because "we're too young". People are *****ing because the team is too horrible.

It won't happen over night? Well what about four years? Could it happen over four years?

Last edited by Pilky01: 03-21-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:25 AM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post

I would disagree that our prospect pool is mediocre, but everything else I agree with. Our prospect depth is much better than it's been in a long while, but we definitely are missing that sure thing prospect that you'd think we'd have after so many years of being out of the playoffs.

Burke's mistakes that he's going to live or die for (and at this point, probably die) are the Kessel trade and naming Phaneuf captain. Too large errors in judgement and talent levels that are going to forever define his tenure as GM.

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
AINEC
not sure if serious

The people have spoken, Burkie...

AINEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Sam Slick*

[QUOTE=TrueBlue86;46442307]finally the fans are taking back the team!!!

there is no way these chants will subside anytime

i don't see this ending well for burke AT ALL

you can't silence the masses[/QUOTE]

yea, except there were no chants.

article is hogwash.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:46 AM
daveleaf

Burkes a fool! They should put together a piece of all his clips when he went on tv. July 1st is our draft. Tavares is a man and I want him and on and on. He is a compete fool and going after Cherry just shows what a juvenile he is. He never stays in one place very long and I am sure if not this summer than the next he will magically show up at NHL offices again with a primo job with his tail between his legs.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
finally the fans are taking back the team!!!

there is no way these chants will subside anytime

i don't see this ending well for burke AT ALL

you can't silence the masses

Hahaha! They barely even started!

The masses = a very small very vocal minority.

Look at every poll asking if Burke shoudl be fired a whopping 80% said he shodln't be fired at this time. So the masses your talking about account for possibly 20% and I'd argue posted after a good win that number woudl drop!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote